1998 F1RGP2C Season - Duel in the Desert Race

In honour of our fallen comrade. Archive of all previous canon series across all disciplines.
FMecha

Re: 1998 F1RGP2C Season - Duel in the Desert Race

Post by FMecha »

With Takagi saying that 1999 will be last year of his F1RGP2C career, Ferrari went to false-start the 2000 silly season by eyeing Douglas Mann and Daniel Moreno as Takagi's replacement in 2000.

Aerospeed, where's Alden? :?
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Autosport wrote:Restov finalises Arrows purchase
Following weeks of speculation regarding the future of several F1RGP2C teams, one of the final teams with uncertain grounding took a step towards stability last night, as Russian motorsport mogul Edward Restov completed the purchase of the Arrows franchise. Restov, 48, was one of the front-runners for the Jordan seat which eventually went the way of Jeremy-Etienne Voeckler, and following news that he had missed out on the front-running team, rumour had it that he would pass up Arrows and wait for another opportunity to grab a top team. However, after protracted negotiations over the past few days, Restov released a press statement, saying that he bought the Arrows team in it's entirety, and would also be the team's seat holder for next season.

At an impromptu press conference earlier this morning, Restov spoke briefly about his and the team's plans for 1999.
"For sure, given the late nature of my purchase of Arrows, work is a tad bit behind schedule for 1999. That is to be expected; in situations like these, 9 times out of 10, the workers become unmotivated, and mistakes are made. However, having walked around the factory this morning, it is clear to me that I have spent my money well. Everybody is motivated, and happy, and there is a good feeling here, a chance for a new beginning."
"Given that it is my first season here, I'm not promising miracles. Arrows, throughout their history, have never been a team fighting for championships. I'm not going to say that this will change overnight. In all honesty, I'd be happy if we could finish in the top 9 in the Constructors Championship. However, over time, I'd like to help this proud team up the order somewhat."

Following the uncertainty around the teams future, no drivers have been confirmed yet. However, Restov did make some telling remarks.
"Of course, I'd like to keep Ben [Fleet]. He's a quick driver, with lots of ability and potential. From what I've seen of him, he has impressed me greatly. Now, I haven't spoken to him formally yet, but it is fair to say that we want him."

"In the second seat, I have heard rumours that Little Edward (Edward Restov Jnr., Restov's son) is a shoo-in at the team. Now, let me make one thing clear. I will never, ever, hire a driver for their surname. Unlike some, I'm not of a nepotistic nature. If I feel that my son is the best driver for the team, I will sign him. Likewise, if I feel there is someone better suited, they will get the drive instead. For instance, I would very much like to sign Daniel Moreno. I know its a long shot, but hey, you never know. He's not the only one. There are several talented drivers out there who are without a seat; its whether or not they want to accept the challenge of helping to re-build a team's reputation."

For many, Restov is the ideal man for Arrows. His winning record is admittedly patchy, but when it comes to solid midfield teams, he's one of the best around. It will certainly be worth keeping an eye on Arrows next year.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

FMecha wrote:With Takagi saying that 1999 will be last year of his F1RGP2C career, Ferrari went to false-start the 2000 silly season by eyeing Douglas Mann and Daniel Moreno as Takagi's replacement in 2000.

Does he want to stay at Stewart? He can if he wants to.

Also, Pablo da Silva will announce his retirement from the series due to sponsors not being able to key up some cash... His performance is a bit of an issue... :?

Stramala wrote:
Sacre Bleu! wrote:JEV tells Moreno: Stop calling me!

F1RGP2C paddock gossip is still focused on what Daniel Moreno will do next year after being CANNED by Williams mid-season in 1998. One drive he is aiming for is the second Jordan seat, left free after Leonhard von Gottorp retired and sold the team.

New owner Jeremy-Etienne Voeckler has stated publically in the past that Moreno has NO chance of driving for Jordan next season, but according to the man himself, JEV is FURIOUS at Moreno, as the Canadian has STALKED the Frenchman about the vacant seat, since the public decleration of no interest.

"I think Moreno has less brain cells than Rob Anderson has clean blood samples," he told a mole. "I don't even know how he got my number! And when I stopped picking it up, he found the number to my second phone! I keep telling him to go away, but he doesn't listen. I'm on my fourth burner phone this week, it's getting way out of hand."

"If that jackass doesn't stop calling Jordan I'm going to have to get a goddamn restraining order. Restraining order! The fact I'm even having to consider it shows how nuts this guy is! Crazy motherf***er..."

Jordan is rumoured to be considering hiring either Emaunuele Nicchi or Jack Christoperson for the drive, but no doubt the embarassingly CLINGY Daniel Moreno will continue to pester Jordan management for the drive.

Daniel Moreno wrote:I do have to admit, it's quite easy to find your number in the phone book. And I doubt calling you twice is considered "stalking" in any language. No conclusions were made after the first call, which is why I called a second time. Given that the first number was busy, I called the second number.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Salamander wrote:Should Emanuele Nicchi leave for Jordan, Gauthier will look to replace him with Edward Restov Jr., and his delicious money.

Having heard that he's not going to be given the Arrows drive, Restov Jr. would jump at the opportunity to stick two fingers up at his dear old dad.

Oh, and TMLW, Aerospeed and Dark, would any of Kickert, Moreno or Nicchi want to drive for Arrows next year? We've large amounts of hooky Russian vodka available, no questions asked...
TORA! TORA! TORA!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

FMecha wrote:With Takagi saying that 1999 will be last year of his F1RGP2C career, Ferrari went to false-start the 2000 silly season by eyeing Douglas Mann and Daniel Moreno as Takagi's replacement in 2000.

Douglas Mann is happy to consider this offer...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

dr-baker wrote:

As is Moreno...
Trulli bad puns...
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Aerospeed wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

As is Moreno...

To spice things up, i could run Moreno at Prost this year, then they'd both be fighting for a seat at Ferrari in equal machinery! :twisted:
Somebody else has to take up Ron Mignolet in that case, Stewart perhaps?
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Sauber are dissapointed that Da Silva chose to retire as he was a valuable and loyal member of the team for many years. Anyway that means Fakkinen's job is completely secure and Sauber need a paydriver for the second car.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

eurobrun wrote:Sauber are dissapointed that Da Silva chose to retire as he was a valuable and loyal member of the team for many years. Anyway that means Fakkinen's job is completely secure and Sauber need a paydriver for the second car.

Lawrence Tucker has money...
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

I would like to draw teams attention to Deanna Mcmohan who after her performance in the duel in the desert where she qaulified in 5th place and although she crashed out of the race. showeing that she was not entirely out of ther depth at this, is now looking for a drive for 1999. She is also willing to raid the back of the sofa to find any avlaible cash for a drive.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Williams would like to offer Frederic-Maxime Voeckler a new contract to partner Andrew Spokes. We will improve next year, we can assure you.

Rick Douglais is also available, fr those who want a bit of Southern comfort :P Due to Grandpappy Douglais passing away (may he rest in peace), Rick has a lot of funds to secure a seat.
Last edited by pasta_maldonado on 10 Dec 2013, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

peteroli34 wrote:I would like to draw teams attention to Deanna Mcmohan who after her performance in the duel in the desert where she qaulified in 5th place and although she crashed out of the race. showeing that she was not entirely out of ther depth at this, is now looking for a drive for 1999. She is also willing to raid the back of the sofa to find any avlaible cash for a drive.

Will she accept a test drive position at Stewart?
Trulli bad puns...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

pasta_maldonado wrote:Williams would like to offer Frederic-Maxime Voeckler a new contract to partner Andrew Spokes. We will improve next year, we can assure you.

FMV accepts.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Aerospeed wrote:

Does he want to stay at Stewart? He can if he wants to.

Of course. :)
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Aerospeed wrote:
peteroli34 wrote:I would like to draw teams attention to Deanna Mcmohan who after her performance in the duel in the desert where she qaulified in 5th place and although she crashed out of the race. showeing that she was not entirely out of ther depth at this, is now looking for a drive for 1999. She is also willing to raid the back of the sofa to find any avlaible cash for a drive.

Will she accept a test drive position at Stewart?

She would prefer a race seat but is willing to accept a test driver position
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Salamander wrote:
eurobrun wrote:Sauber are dissapointed that Da Silva chose to retire as he was a valuable and loyal member of the team for many years. Anyway that means Fakkinen's job is completely secure and Sauber need a paydriver for the second car.

I will give him one preseason test and Geoff Grove the other. Whoever does better gets the drive.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Kristiansen is looking to see whether Minardi will take him on after his good performance at the Duel in the Desert.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

eurobrun wrote:
Salamander wrote:

I will give him one preseason test and Geoff Grove the other. Whoever does better gets the drive.

Alexander von Hegel is available.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Just a quick Wrap-up Post for the 1998 Season...

My Rankings for 1998
Drivers:

Code: Select all

1. James James Davies
2. Andrew Spokes
3. Damon Cannon
4. Tom Douglas
5. Rory McAllister
6. Kazuhiko Takagi
7. John Zimmer
8. Niko Nurminen
9. Jörg Scrattenheim
10. Masta Valsattis
11. Leonhard von Gottorp
12. Emmanuele Nicchi
13. Pablo da Silva
14. Ben Fleet
15. Poppy Whitechapel
16. Ron Mignolet
17. Frederic-Maxime Voeckler
18. Yuuri Jougaseki
19. Jose Alvarez
20. Rick Douglais
21. Ralf Alden
22. Daniel Moreno
23. Stephano Baroncelli
24. Lawrence Tucker
25. Miko Fakkinen
26. Plinio Vida
27. Clivio Durand
28. Alejandrina Rodriguez
29. Geoff Grove
30. Johan Gustafsson
NR Vic Sunset
NR Gio van Dycke
NR Gonzalo Solari
NR Christophe Vans
NR Anton Kaliniczenko
NR Francisco Remedio

Teams

Code: Select all

1. McLaren
2. Ferrari
3. Jordan
4. DAMS
5. Benetton
6. Gauthier
7. Sauber
8. Arrows
9. Williams
10. Lola
11. Prost
12. Volga
13. Stewart
14. Minardi

Reject Podium

3rd - Stewart-Ford
Despite promising to improve for 1998 after scoring a grand total of zero points in 1997, Stewart did absolutely nothing of note this season. Jose Alvarez and Ralf Alden did nothing to dissuade Eddie Stewart from rehiring them, but they certainly did not punch above their weight. The car's reliability was dreadful, yet again, with six straight races in the first half of the year in which they failed to finish. Even the woeful Arrows team managed to improve over last season, while Stewart regressed. Perhaps they didn't "deserve" to finish in last place in the Constructors' Championship this season, but they did, and there's nothing they can do about it except hope for next season.

2nd - Geoff Grove
Minardi was crap this year. That's an empirical fact. Thus, it is a remarkable achievement that Geoff Grove managed to prove to everyone just how slow he really was, in spite of his machinery. If we give drivers credit for transcending their terrible cars, we should give them demerits for drastically underperforming in terrible cars. Geoff Grove spent more than half of his weekend sitting in the garage after failing to qualify. Plinio Vida, his teammate, qualified for all sixteen races, and can be used as a relatively good benchmark for an average performance in the Minardi. At least with Gonzalo Solari, you can have crap results and help fund the team at the same time. Geoff Grove didn't even bring cash with him!

1st - Johan Gustafsson
Johan Gustafsson was, dare I say it, Gazurek-level in terms of his competence this season. He was slow, inferior to all of his teammates, and ultimately not up to the standards of the F1RGP2C, although considering we let Robert Anderson in, it's hard to determine if such standards exist. But anyway, Gustafsson was bad, and his failures were exacerbated by the success of his replacement Vic Sunset (two top-ten finishes) and his teammate Emmanuele Nicchi (whom we have determined is superhuman). Unsurprisingly, he was fired on the same day as Geoff Grove after both drivers failed to qualify in France. The competition for ROTY between these two was tight, but Gustafsson was given the edge after Geoff Grove beat him by two tenths of a second at Dijon. Congratulations.

Honorable Mentions:
Williams-Mechachrome
Daniel Moreno
Clivio Durand
Prost
Alejandrina Rodriguez
Stephano Baroncelli
Lawrence Tucker
Miko Fakkinen
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there