1998 F1RGP2C Season - Duel in the Desert Race

In honour of our fallen comrade. Archive of all previous canon series across all disciplines.
Salamander

Re: 1998 F1RGP2C Season - Duel in the Desert Signups

Post by Salamander »

This wrote:There's been a mistake on the entry list, i said here that Ron Mignolet was not driving for Duel in the Desert, and that i was looking for an experienced driver instead ;)

Geoff Donnelly may not have F1RGP2C experience, but he does have experience dating back to his LifeGP days, such as when he took Al Smith Racing Enterprises first 2 podium finishes, and hauled the unupgraded Scuderia Team Auto Racing car to points and out of pre-qualifying more times than you would think. I am also obligated to inform you that he also brings sponsorship from Gregg's and accepts payment in the form of pies.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Douglas Mann suspects that nobody would be interested in his services for the Duel???
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

dr-baker wrote:Douglas Mann suspects that nobody would be interested in his services for the Duel???

James James Davies wrote:Nah, I'm pretty sure nobody needs their engine exploding there. Or anywhere, for that matter.
Everything's great.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dr-baker wrote:Douglas Mann suspects that nobody would be interested in his services for the Duel???

James James Davies wrote:Nah, I'm pretty sure nobody needs their engine exploding there. Or anywhere, for that matter.

Douglas Mann wrote:Good. Just checking that there were no Start-and-Park teams in this series. ;)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Rory McAllister and that clown Mikko Fäkkinen want to contest in the Duel in the Desert.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Wizzie wrote:
This wrote:
Wizzie wrote:
Gonzalo Solari is more than happy to drive the car at Duel in the Desert, if you so choose.

F1RGP2C experience is required.

Where have you been for the last six races? :lol:

Well, he hasn't done anything noticeable. So that's good enough, he'll get the chance.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Andreas Stefano wrote:If you want, you can drive for us in place of Vans. But that would confuse commentators. ;)
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Andreas Stefano wrote:If you want, you can drive for us in place of Vans. But that would confuse commentators. ;)

Douglas Mann wrote:Confusing commentators sounds like fun. Didn't stop Murray Walker having a career!
MCard LOLA
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Still need second drivers from Jordan, DAMS, Benetton, Sauber and Stewart.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

tristan1117 wrote:Still need second drivers from Jordan, DAMS, Benetton, Sauber and Stewart.

Of course the clown Stramala didn't get it done to announce it, but J.-E. Voeckler will drive the second Jordan.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Sauber would like to offer both drivers a one year contract extention for 1999. They are free to look elsewhere but the offer it there if you want it. Whoever out of them replies first will get the DOTD drive.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Also...
Speedline.com wrote:He's back!

Just 6 monrhs after he walked out of the F1RGP2C paddock in disgust about Williams's lack of results, the notorious Prince Walik has announced his return to the paddock as a Duel in the Desert wildcard. And true to form he blasted pretty much everyone in the world in his return speech. "The once honourable Williams team is being disgraced by a bunch of German fools. They let Newey and Renault just walk out and then wonder why their team has gone to shite. And then one gets arrested for fraud, Im not surprised. But Moreno deserved the sack after driving like an ape. He was the best but now he is lazy and hopeless. But that Davies is a talentless hack who only won the title because the Mclaren is just so good. I would beat him easy in that car. And all the rest of you are just talentless field fillerss who nobody cares about." Walik then continued to waffle on about his vast wealth and business interests.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

tristan1117 wrote:Still need second drivers from Jordan, DAMS, Benetton, Sauber and Stewart.

Daniel Moreno's owner didn't post in the topic yet. I'm not going to decide instead of him, so if there will be no confirmation, I'll try to take somebody else.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Hell with it, I'll take the final guest spot. Current works Audi RTCC driver and former Life GP also-ran Rafael Modena will drive.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

eurobrun wrote:Also...

Just 6 monrhs after he walked out of the F1RGP2C paddock in disgust about Williams's lack of results, the notorious Prince Walik has announced his return to the paddock as a Duel in the Desert wildcard. And true to form he blasted pretty much everyone in the world in his return speech. "The once honourable Williams team is being disgraced by a bunch of German fools. They let Newey and Renault just walk out and then wonder why their team has gone to shite. And then one gets arrested for fraud, Im not surprised. But Moreno deserved the sack after driving like an ape. He was the best but now he is lazy and hopeless. But that Davies is a talentless hack who only won the title because the Mclaren is just so good. I would beat him easy in that car. And all the rest of you are just talentless field fillerss who nobody cares about." Walik then continued to waffle on about his vast wealth and business interests.

James James Davies wrote:Keep crying, Wally, your tears are delicious! :lol:
Everything's great.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

After so much deliberation, and with Vans deciding to pursue sportscar racing instead, Douglas Mann will drive instead of Vans for DotD. Top lel! :lol:
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

eurobrun wrote:Also...

Daniel Moreno wrote:I will agree and say that Williams is run by German fools. They were the ones that build the ape of a car this season, so it wasn't my fault. Still, it spared me the problem of having to leave the team. I'm in talks with Jordan GP right now. We're discussing contracts for next year. I've also talked with the folks at Ferrari. They said it was a bit of a problem trying to fit me in with Takagi and Douglas. But we'll see what happens.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

Daniel Moreno wrote:They were the ones that build the ape of a car this season, so it wasn't my fault.

John Zimmer wrote:He says, having been destroyed by his teammate up until he threw the toys out of his pram. Said teammate proceeds to be best of the rest behind the Ferraris and McLarens. Strange that - he seemed alright with the car.
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Daniel Moreno wrote:They were the ones that build the ape of a car this season, so it wasn't my fault.

John Zimmer wrote:He says, having been destroyed by his teammate up until he threw the toys out of his pram. Said teammate proceeds to be best of the rest behind the Ferraris and McLarens. Strange that - he seemed alright with the car.

James James Davies wrote:Yeah, for once Zimmer is actually right. Williams might've bathplugged it up, but it was nowhere near as bad as you were making it look.
Everything's great.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

I would - hold on - even consider putting him back in the car for 1999. The engines are going to fail anyway... so i don't have much to lose. And he's the only one that's not called Mignolet who really performed well in a Ligier/Prost (well, let's ignore Valsattis, we're not on good terms with him anymore) A Mignolet-Mann duo would be dynamite. Not only literally! He can get equal status to Ron, but the condition is that he must be positive about Peugeot in the media the whole year long. Awtch.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

FMecha wrote:After so much deliberation, and with Vans deciding to pursue sportscar racing instead, Douglas Mann will drive instead of Vans for DotD. Top lel! :lol:

:lol: You're on!

This wrote:

I would - hold on - even consider putting him back in the car for 1999. The engines are going to fail anyway... so i don't have much to lose. And he's the only one that's not called Mignolet who really performed well in a Ligier/Prost (well, let's ignore Valsattis, we're not on good terms with him anymore) A Mignolet-Mann duo would be dynamite. Not only literally! He can get equal status to Ron, but the condition is that he must be positive about Peugeot in the media the whole year long. Awtch.

That's going to be difficult, but I think that Douglas would accept dismissal if he bitches about the engines. Deal for 1999!
MCard LOLA
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Obviously i'd like to keep Remedio for test-driver, because no way Mann is going to survive such a contractual clausule without skipping a few races now and then.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Okay, seems like Moreno is not interested in the DAMS seat for this one-off.

How about Rory McAllister, or Miko Fakkinen then? Just for this one race.

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Since Solari has now been shut out of a potential Prost seat for 1999, he is looking to dump his millions of pesos at any midfield or backmarker team willing to have his money.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

This wrote:Obviously i'd like to keep Remedio for test-driver, because no way Mann is going to survive such a contractual clausule without skipping a few races now and then.

Sounds like a possible avatar challenge...
MCard LOLA
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Shizuka wrote:Okay, seems like Moreno is not interested in the DAMS seat for this one-off.

How about Rory McAllister, or Miko Fakkinen then? Just for this one race.

What about Ron Mignolet?

Wizzie wrote:Since Solari has now been shut out of a potential Prost seat for 1999, he is looking to dump his millions of pesos at any midfield or backmarker team willing to have his money.

Oh, he isn't out of shot for a potential Prost seat for 1999. It's just that no-one knows how this will end. Obviously he's a third choice, unless if he impresses in DotD, then he'll get promoted to second choice, which usually at Prost/Ligier means driving a couple of races.

dr-baker wrote:
This wrote:Obviously i'd like to keep Remedio for test-driver, because no way Mann is going to survive such a contractual clausule without skipping a few races now and then.

Sounds like a possible avatar challenge...

Alright, never had an avatar challenge going. However, if his engine doesn't explode, the challenge will be unvalid.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

This wrote:What about Ron Mignolet?

Okay, let's not keep waiting Tristan, Ron's entry is confirmed.

(hopefully, there won't be another engine failure for him!)

tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Two things:

1. Benetton, Sauber and Stewart have until 10:00 PM EST Friday night to decide their DITD lineups. If owners do not respond by the deadline, McAllister will drive for Benetton, Fakkinen for Sauber and Rodriguez for Stewart.

2. With WaffleCat deciding to leave Lola, I have made a decision for BAR to replace them for the 1999 season. Ataxia expressed interest in taking the seatholder position, so he will get the job. I will need a name for your seatholder at some point. Also, Arrows is still available for management. takagi_ftw expressed interest, and the offer for the position is still out there.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

And on that note...
RejectSport wrote:Lola Bought By BAR

The MasterCard Lola team, which has been in dire financial straits since the middle of the season, has been bought out by British American Racing. Seatholder Clint Mort completed the deal with BAR, a team that is backed by the British American Tobacco company. Although some analysts have questioned BAR's entry into the series due to the F1RGP2C's well-publicized ban on tobacco advertising in races, the company is unconcerned by the possible implications. The new seatholder for BAR has yet to be announced.
the Masked Lapwing

tristan1117 wrote:If owners do not respond by the deadline, McAllister will drive for Benetton, Fakkinen for Sauber and Rodriguez for Stewart.

I'm protesting the possibility of McAllister driving for Benetton, on the basis that Zimmer would never hire people he doesn't like :P
If anyone good would like to drive, the situation hasn't changed since I last offered it around.
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

tristan1117 wrote:And on that note...
RejectSport wrote:Lola Bought By BAR

The MasterCard Lola team, which has been in dire financial straits since the middle of the season, has been bought out by British American Racing. Seatholder Clint Mort completed the deal with BAR, a team that is backed by the British American Tobacco company. Although some analysts have questioned BAR's entry into the series due to the F1RGP2C's well-publicized ban on tobacco advertising in races, the company is unconcerned by the possible implications. The new seatholder for BAR has yet to be announced.

At least we won't get the Reynard - We always win our first race publicocrap :lol:

Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

the Masked Lapwing wrote:
tristan1117 wrote:If owners do not respond by the deadline, McAllister will drive for Benetton, Fakkinen for Sauber and Rodriguez for Stewart.

I'm protesting the possibility of McAllister driving for Benetton, on the basis that Zimmer would never hire people he doesn't like :P
If anyone good would like to drive, the situation hasn't changed since I last offered it around.

You are looking for a top driver for only one race? Well, Gio Van Dycke is out of a drive! And perhaps Dennis Mignolet would like to try to race some elses car to infect other teams with the Ligier/Prost/Peugeot/Mann reliability curse!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

tristan1117 wrote:Two things:

1. Benetton, Sauber and Stewart have until 10:00 PM EST Friday night to decide their DITD lineups. If owners do not respond by the deadline, McAllister will drive for Benetton, Fakkinen for Sauber and Rodriguez for Stewart.

2. With WaffleCat deciding to leave Lola, I have made a decision for BAR to replace them for the 1999 season. Ataxia expressed interest in taking the seatholder position, so he will get the job. I will need a name for your seatholder at some point. Also, Arrows is still available for management. takagi_ftw expressed interest, and the offer for the position is still out there.

With all these decisions being made, there still hasn't been a seatholder for Jordan announced. I think there was more than one pursuant of the team, so how do we decide who takes the reins?

Image Image
the Masked Lapwing

This wrote:You are looking for a top driver for only one race? Well, Gio Van Dycke is out of a drive! And perhaps Dennis Mignolet would like to try to race some elses car to infect other teams with the Ligier/Prost/Peugeot/Mann reliability curse!

I repeat: anyone good :P :lol:
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

tristan1117 wrote:2. With WaffleCat deciding to leave Lola, I have made a decision for BAR to replace them for the 1999 season. Ataxia expressed interest in taking the seatholder position, so he will get the job. I will need a name for your seatholder at some point. Also, Arrows is still available for management. takagi_ftw expressed interest, and the offer for the position is still out there.

Excellent, the seatholder will be Tim Perkins, a British entrepreneur and part time F3000 team principal.

We'd also like to make a start on looking at our 1999 lineup. We'd like to formally offer Gonzalo Solari the #2 driver slot, as we look for someone experienced to lead the team.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Aw, that's the funny part! Max von Hegel has scored some points, is he good enough for Benetton?
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Tristan, Aerospeed mentions Ralf Alden for DotD on the last page, and I approved it. ;)
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

This wrote:You are looking for a top driver for only one race? Well, Gio Van Dycke is out of a drive! And perhaps Dennis Mignolet would like to try to race some elses car to infect other teams with the Ligier/Prost/Peugeot/Mann reliability curse!

I repeat: anyone good :P :lol:

They're pretty good actually, Van Dycke scored multiple wins, poles and fastest laps in LGPS, beating drivers such as Davies, Kickert and Van Gottorp! And Dennis Mignolet once scored a podium in a car with even worse reliability, a Ligier!
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Stramala wrote:
tristan1117 wrote:Two things:

With all these decisions being made, there still hasn't been a seatholder for Jordan announced. I think there was more than one pursuant of the team, so how do we decide who takes the reins?

Well, it looks like only Ataxia and takagi_ftw wanted to become the seatholder at Jordan, but I have just assigned them teams, so Jordan is yours. From now on though, I will try to make a waitlist for new teams.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

L'Equipe wrote:Voeckler takes over Jordan, tells Moreno to get lost

Jordan Grand Prix has found a new owner; Voeckler Capitaux. The French investment firm, a family owned business worth over100 million francs, has purchased the team outright from former seatholder Leonhard von Gottorop, who has elected to retire from life in Formula One.

New seatholder and former F1 driver Jeremy-Etienne Voeckler, who spent all of 1998 as a test driver for Jordan, has elected to be forthright with the press and spoken openly of the team's intentions for 1999.

"Damon Cannon is staying put," he stated bluntly. "He has indicated no desire to leave. We are working on formalising a contract extension for 1999."

The second seat remains a mystery, however Voeckler was quick to debunk a number of rumours circulating the paddock lately.

"Firstly, there will be no nepotism at this team," he said. "My younger brother Frederic-Maxime will not come to Jordan, he is staying at Williams, and he is happy there. People have also suggested I may return to the cockpit. I will be frank and say it is not impossible, but it's an eventuality that I am trying very hard to avoid. We want a top driver for our second car. The only possibility in which I am driving the car is after failing to sign anyone from a shortlist. It's a contingency plan, essentially."

Former champion Daniel Moreno has also been linked to the vacant Jordan drive, but Voeckler was quick to dismiss any such idea.

"We have no need for garbage like Moreno," said Voeckler. "He can get lost and go back to Canada. He is an average driver with an above-average ego. Midfield teams like DAMS and so on come into him and he just turns his nose up at them and totally ignores them. Not even as much as a 'no thanks'. As long as I am in charge of Jordan, he will never drive our car, ever."

Image Image