Pit stop blunders - historical anecdotes

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
mario

Pit stop blunders - historical anecdotes

Post by mario »

Given what happened with Force India in Malaysia, the topic of botched pit stops in F1 has come up once again - although, compared to some historical blunders, Force India's pit stop in Malaysia looks positively professional. Racecar Engineering has published an article by Ricardo Divila, who recounts some of the blunders that he has had the pleasure of seeing over the years - I'll quote the first of his three anecdotes here to give you a flavour of what he has witnessed:
At Copersucar we had a, er, moment, when restarting the car during qualifying at Monaco after a routine pit stop. DFVs had a mechanical fuel pump, so to fire it up one used a small plastic bottle (Usually a Fairy Liquid detergent bottle with a small adapted nozzle) to prime the engine and start as no fuel pressure yet.

On this routine stop for adjustment on the squirt from the bottle popped the nozzle, dousing the engine in petrol, upon which, with the usual malevolent behaviour of inanimate objects, it ignited. One rather ineffectually started flapping ones’ lap chart to fan flames out, as it was bigger than one that could be blown out like a candle, usual procedure for trumpet fires.
Wilson Fittpaldi took more direct action, whipping his team T-shirt off and hitting the flames…this might have worked eventually but another ingredient was thrown into the stew when Itoh, our chief mechanic, was spotted grabbing the nearest fire extinguisher to smother the now considerable conflagration.

As it was a powder one, promising a right royal mess, Wilson then lunged at Itoh to stop him, but for some strange reason grasped him by the throat, at which point in a reflex action Itoh clenched the nozzle, setting said extinguisher off. Once started, it would not stop, and as by then dropped on the floor to the lively crackling of the flames, was whipping back and forth with the jet of powder squirting everywhere, despite Bob “Knobby” Clarke leaping onto hose like a Tarzan wrestling a snake, only to be greeted with an eyeful of extinguishing powder.

The penny having dropped by then, Wilson executed a sleight-of-hand masterpiece and crammed the hose down the nearest manhole cover slot. Presto, no more spurting powder on car. But wait! It only meant that after a small respite, the white clouds started geysering out all down the pit lane and drifting out over track like early morning mist, to such an extent that the practice session was halted due to lack of visibility, mercifully blotting out the scene…

The look of disgust from the mechanics in adjoining teams as they ineffectually fanned the powder from their now frost-white toolboxes haunts me to this day.

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/blog ... ps-go-bad/
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
girry

Re: Pit stop blunders - historical anecdotes

Post by girry »

Amazing reject material. Thanks mario for posting - especially the description of the third incident, wow, that's a farce so over the top it can't have been made up....
when you're dead people start listening
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

If we are going to use this thread to compile a long list of pit stop blunders, I want to be the first with the following:

Ferrari pit stop fire
Benetton pit stop fire
Minardi pit stop fire
Massa and the refuelling hose
McLaren setting a Ferrari ablaze in the pit lane

I remember going to the National Motor Museum (in Beaulieu, Hampshire, where you also have access to a stately home and former abbey!) for a talk/presentation in the late '90s, and they showed some black-and-white footage a a Ferrari pitstop (must have been the 1950s) where, during a pit stop, they spilt fuel, it went down the drains, then caught fire, with the flames coming up out of the drains up and down the pit lane! If anybody knows more details of this (could have been either F1 or sportscars/Le Mans), and even find the footage on YouTube, I would appreciate it!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
FloProAct

Post by FloProAct »

According to Wikipedia (I can't find anywhere else that has as detailed account of the incident, but see no reason to doubt it), in the 1951 Belgian GP Alfa Romeo tested a new form of suspension on Fangio's car, which required different wheel hubs to the standard car to accommodate the brake drums. Unfortunately, these new hubs failed on his first visit to the pits, resulting in a 14 minute stop, and Fangio finishing the race in last...
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Kobayashi at Silverstone 2012 was a bad blunder in the pits.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

I'll be the wag of the thread and suggest most of McLaren's pit stops over the past 18 months. Although IIRC, a botched pitstop cost Montoya victory (indirectly) at Hockenheim 2001.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Wasn't there a Williams pitstop where Montoya ran over the front jackman's foot?
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Surely Tuero's pit stop at Argentina 1998 has to be one of the worst..
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

As long as we're listing bad pit stops, I have to mention the Ferrari crew at Europe 1999. What a day that was for them....
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:I'll be the wag of the thread and suggest most of McLaren's pit stops over the past 18 months. Although IIRC, a botched pitstop cost Montoya victory (indirectly) at Hockenheim 2001.

I wanted Montoya to win that race. But that pit stop and an engine failure five or so laps later ended his hopes.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

dr-baker wrote:If we are going to use this thread to compile a long list of pit stop blunders, I want to be the first with the following:

Ferrari pit stop fire
Benetton pit stop fire
Minardi pit stop fire

I remember going to the National Motor Museum (in Beaulieu, Hampshire, where you also have access to a stately home and former abbey!) for a talk/presentation in the late '90s, and they showed some black-and-white footage a a Ferrari pitstop (must have been the 1950s) where, during a pit stop, they spilt fuel, it went down the drains, then caught fire, with the flames coming up out of the drains up and down the pit lane! If anybody knows more details of this (could have been either F1 or sportscars/Le Mans), and even find the footage on YouTube, I would appreciate it!

Could it be this footage of Gonzalez' pit fire at Zandvoort? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg02sTJL3i4
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

tommykl wrote:
dr-baker wrote:If we are going to use this thread to compile a long list of pit stop blunders, I want to be the first with the following:

Ferrari pit stop fire
Benetton pit stop fire
Minardi pit stop fire

Could it be this footage of Gonzalez' pit fire at Zandvoort? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg02sTJL3i4

That's a nice find, but it isn't what I was thinking of. When I say the drains caught fire, I mean the whole pit lane caught fire! Maybe I am going to have to rummage through my history books at some point!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Michael Schumacher had a pit fire in Austria 2003 while leading. Yet, Michael pushed on to win the race. My question is, how was the fire put out and Schumacher able to continue?
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

mario

Post by mario »

go_Rubens wrote:Michael Schumacher had a pit fire in Austria 2003 while leading. Yet, Michael pushed on to win the race. My question is, how was the fire put out and Schumacher able to continue?

With conventional fire extinguishers, as far as I can tell.

As to how Michael could continue, the reports suggest that the Ferrari pit crew were able to respond to the fire very quickly because, at the time, they would put the pit crews through a simulated pit fire at least twice a year.
Because it was only a superficial fire (possibly due to the fact that the fuel rig had just been used for Rubens's car, as his refuelling rig had malfunctioned, the team used Michael's and therefore some fuel might have remained trapped in the fuel rig when Michael pitted, causing the fire), plus the fact that there were at least four mechanics trained to use those extinguishers and were working to contain the fire very quickly, the net result is that very little damage was done to the bodywork itself, therefore allowing Michael to continue as normal.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

mario wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:Michael Schumacher had a pit fire in Austria 2003 while leading. Yet, Michael pushed on to win the race. My question is, how was the fire put out and Schumacher able to continue?

With conventional fire extinguishers, as far as I can tell.

As to how Michael could continue, the reports suggest that the Ferrari pit crew were able to respond to the fire very quickly because, at the time, they would put the pit crews through a simulated pit fire at least twice a year.
Because it was only a superficial fire (possibly due to the fact that the fuel rig had just been used for Rubens's car, as his refuelling rig had malfunctioned, the team used Michael's and therefore some fuel might have remained trapped in the fuel rig when Michael pitted, causing the fire), plus the fact that there were at least four mechanics trained to use those extinguishers and were working to contain the fire very quickly, the net result is that very little damage was done to the bodywork itself, therefore allowing Michael to continue as normal.

I assume this is the incident to which you refer...
MCard LOLA
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

go_Rubens wrote:
takagi_for_the_win wrote:I'll be the wag of the thread and suggest most of McLaren's pit stops over the past 18 months. Although IIRC, a botched pitstop cost Montoya victory (indirectly) at Hockenheim 2001.

I wanted Montoya to win that race. But that pit stop and an engine failure five or so laps later ended his hopes.

I’d say that pitstop did directly cost him the race. Since IIRC wasn’t his blown engine a result of overheating due to JPM having to sit in the pits for longer than expected? I certainly remember race day temps being very high that day & BMW being so concerned over their engine reliability that they only ran for 5 minutes in the morning warm up.

Also whislt on the subject of Williams pitstops going bad, who could forget Mansell & Williams pitstop at Estoril in 1991? Then working on the car in the pitlane. :lol:

Also there was a bit of chaos in the pitlane in Hungary 2010, when Renualt released Kubica from a pitstop just as Sutil was boxing. At the same time a rear wheel was making a bid for freedom, following Nico Rosberg's pitstop.

Also loved this quote from Bernie about a possible a 'pit blunder' that was done on purpose...

Still, Bernie was inspired to recall the days of his Brabham team ownership. "I had one driver challenging for the world championship – I'm not going to say who it was – and the other guy that weekend happened to be bloody quick," he reminisced. "I said to him: 'Whatever you do, you ought to take it easy and let the other guy pass you.' He said: 'I wouldn't do that.' So I replied: 'Well, you can stand up in the seat of the car and wave him past, so the whole world can see this if you want.' But he insisted: 'I'm not going to do it.' So we just made sure he didn't have enough fuel in the car to finish the race."

Source; http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... acky-races (A very amusing column from Marina Hyde over the Seb / Mark matter)
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

ibsey wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:

I’d say that pitstop did directly cost him the race. Since IIRC wasn’t his blown engine a result of overheating due to JPM having to sit in the pits for longer than expected? I certainly remember race day temps being very high that day & BMW being so concerned over their engine reliability that they only ran for 5 minutes in the morning warm up.

That is indeed true. After the race, Ralf sai that once Montoya disappeared at the start, he slowed to save the car as the team knew it would be touch and go with the engines.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

2 i remember both happened to Mansell in portugal in '89 when he was driving for Ferrari and again 2 years later for Williams.....
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Fire extinguishers, the same as Vitor Meira in the 2010 Indy 500 and Wally Dallenbach in the 1972 Indy 500. Meira crashed in a violent wreck which pretty much ended his career as he wasn't quite the same about 5 laps later when a rookie divebombed him on the restart. Dallenbach finished 18 laps down after not one, not two, but three pit fires. I personally watched the Meira fire.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!