Your Reject of the Race - Australia

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Londoner

Your Reject of the Race - Australia

Post by Londoner »

Race Control have this in the bag. Utter, utter bollocks.
Last edited by Londoner on 16 Mar 2013, 07:56, edited 1 time in total.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
WaffleCat

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Australia

Post by WaffleCat »

Couldn't agree more. Race Control bathplugged this up big time. Especially as practically no one in Europe will be able to catch the end of qualifying now.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Race Control, the pack of pussies

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Easy choice so far:
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

Race Control - F1 turning into NASCAR in terms of wet weather racing.

Catetham - They're slow
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Charlie Whiting, hands down
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Race control takes it so far

GVDG and McLaren also haven't been great
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

So far it looks like an easy ROTR award for Race Control. I mean, half their telemetry software's gone on the blink, we had that farce of a Qualifying session and they've moved the rest of it to tomorrow morning, where the weather is only slightly better at best :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

I also support Charlie Whiting and race control for this. In spite of Q1 being so good, I almost regret waking up so early.

eurobrun wrote:GVDG and McLaren also haven't been great

I would replace Van der Garde with either Pic or the whole Caterham team. VDG beat Pic by more than a second even though he also crashed. :lol: By the way, Pic missed out on 107% by 0.010 seconds!
DidNotQualify

Post by DidNotQualify »

Caterham so far - both drivers crashing, spinning, behind Marussia and Pic outside the 107% time (not that it makes much difference in these conditions).

No nomination for race control because I can't really judge how wet and slippery the track was from the comfort of my sofa watching on a TV that distorts the picture thousands of miles away. From reading various comments on other forums turn 11 was particularly bad, so I'll trust their judgement.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Charlie Whiting. It's such a no contest. I had never seen a session stopped with such little rain on the track.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
mario

Post by mario »

DidNotQualify wrote:Caterham so far - both drivers crashing, spinning, behind Marussia and Pic outside the 107% time (not that it makes much difference in these conditions).

No nomination for race control because I can't really judge how wet and slippery the track was from the comfort of my sofa watching on a TV that distorts the picture thousands of miles away. From reading various comments on other forums turn 11 was particularly bad, so I'll trust their judgement.

The 107% rule is, by convention, ignored in wet conditions on the basis that the track conditions can vary so quickly over the session that any times set are unrepresentative of the true pace of the car in dry conditions.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
James1978

Post by James1978 »

They can't cope with a bit of water? Fools.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Apparently the Caterham drivers have heard of the F1 Rejects Nosecone Destruction Championship, and want to make sure that they're leading at least something...
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
SeedStriker

Post by SeedStriker »

Up to now, it's a no brainer when Race Control and Charlie Whiting turn a F1 race into a NASCAR quali farce.
Nominations for the Catherham boys for becoming crash test dummies and for Pastor Maldonado as The Reverend was owned by not-so-newbie Bottas
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

SeedStriker wrote:Pastor Maldonado as The Reverend was owned by not-so-newbie Bottas

Change that to Williams for leaving the switch to inters so bloody late they almost got both their drivers knocked out.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Further evidence in support of a favourite nomination in this thread.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Van Derp Garde and I'm sticking to it as he's already smashed a nosecone and nearly hit the wall or something a second time and the race hasn't even started yet. Race control would be my second option if it wasn't for how costly parts are in F1 and the fact I am certain that van der Garde will not finish the race even if he's faster than several drivers.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Race Control!. For trying to copy Nascar.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Dj_bereta wrote:Race Control!. For trying to copy Nascar.

NASCAR cancels qualifying before anyone wrecks in the rain, though.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

F1 Rejects Forum Users for expecting qualifying to be run in a downpour when cars were going off left, right and centre in intermediate conditions.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Race Control - what's the point in manufacturing full wet tyres if the session gets postponed when it's wet enough to use them?
S951

Post by S951 »

caterham no question
Luca Badoer we miss you appreciation group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/187177268036270/
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

fjackdaw wrote:F1 Rejects Forum Users for expecting qualifying to be run in a downpour when cars were going off left, right and centre in intermediate conditions.

Much as that nomination is always inflammatory, I have to agree. When there was as much slipping and sliding in Q1 as there was, it was only wise for caution to win out. It only takes an over-eager Van Der Garde (or someone of that ilk) to come barrelling around a corner, blind from spray, and ram into a spun car facing the wrong direction like Gutierrez was at the end of Q1. Then people would be criticising the decision to run the session. I guess they can't win with some people.

Also, the blaming of Ecclestone was rather absurd.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Race Control for making such a hash of it all.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Meatwad wrote: VDG beat Pic by more than a second even though he also crashed. :lol: By the way, Pic missed out on 107% by 0.010 seconds!

Charles Pic's campaign for getting this weekend's award is impressive, to say the least, especially given the fact how good a driver he turned out to be last year at the wheel of the 2nd Virgin Manor Grand Prix car.

Race Control's electrical failures were mildly entertaining though, and thus, they are mere honorary mentions.

Of course, all this will change during the course of the Grand Prix itself.

I mean has there ever been a Reject Of the Race Award before which was won by the entity who was prime candidate for it after qualifying? I don't think so.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Yannick wrote:Of course, all this will change during the course of the Grand Prix itself.

I mean has there ever been a Reject Of the Race Award before which was won by the entity who was prime candidate for it after qualifying? I don't think so.

But we seem to have this debate at about this point of every GP weekend, and yet this thread still pops up on the Friday of every GP weekend... I just give up arguing against it and go with the flow of nominating ROTQ... :|
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Caterham for me so far, both cars crashed, and both drivers were slower than the Marussias.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

fjackdaw wrote:F1 Rejects Forum Users for expecting qualifying to be run in a downpour when cars were going off left, right and centre in intermediate conditions.

shinji wrote:Much as that nomination is always inflammatory, I have to agree. When there was as much slipping and sliding in Q1 as there was, it was only wise for caution to win out. It only takes an over-eager Van Der Garde (or someone of that ilk) to come barrelling around a corner, blind from spray, and ram into a spun car facing the wrong direction like Gutierrez was at the end of Q1. Then people would be criticising the decision to run the session. I guess they can't win with some people.

I echo both of these opinions. The only footage I've seen is the BBC highlights show which I caught a little while ago. Now I'm sorry, but I'm surprised Q1 went ahead at all. At one point the spray on the front straight was ridiculous, I think it was Alonso almost rear-ended Hamilton as he pulled out from behind him down the straight.

People need to get a grip and understand the fundamentals of the situation. First of all, there were a series of nasty accidents throughout Q1. Secondly, on a temporary circuit where grip is low anyway, the effects of wet weather are just exacerbated. Thirdly, it's the first race of the year, so the drivers will be a little rusty, and with five rookies in the field too, and cars that are not yet fully understood, all come together to create a tricky situation. All combined, alongside the poor weather, and declining visibility transpired in qualifying being cancelled.

This is no Canada 2011 when the safety car was left out for way too long. This is a sensible, well-reasoned decision. End of discussion.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

I'm going to save my nominations for after the race. It looks like Caterham and McLaren are doing their best.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

AndreaModa wrote:

shinji wrote:Much as that nomination is always inflammatory, I have to agree. When there was as much slipping and sliding in Q1 as there was, it was only wise for caution to win out. It only takes an over-eager Van Der Garde (or someone of that ilk) to come barrelling around a corner, blind from spray, and ram into a spun car facing the wrong direction like Gutierrez was at the end of Q1. Then people would be criticising the decision to run the session. I guess they can't win with some people.

I echo both of these opinions. The only footage I've seen is the BBC highlights show which I caught a little while ago. Now I'm sorry, but I'm surprised Q1 went ahead at all. At one point the spray on the front straight was ridiculous, I think it was Alonso almost rear-ended Hamilton as he pulled out from behind him down the straight.

People need to get a grip and understand the fundamentals of the situation. First of all, there were a series of nasty accidents throughout Q1. Secondly, on a temporary circuit where grip is low anyway, the effects of wet weather are just exacerbated. Thirdly, it's the first race of the year, so the drivers will be a little rusty, and with five rookies in the field too, and cars that are not yet fully understood, all come together to create a tricky situation. All combined, alongside the poor weather, and declining visibility transpired in qualifying being cancelled.

This is no Canada 2011 when the safety car was left out for way too long. This is a sensible, well-reasoned decision. End of discussion.

Also, there was a massive downpour immediately after Q1, so people's complaints of there being hardly any rain on the track are nonsense.
Hound55

Post by Hound55 »

I'd say that Caterham are on the fast track to reject of the race, but they still have a chance to redeem themselves.
Currently, reject of the race is held by this rogue bread truck driver
LONG LIVE MARUSSIA

Things I was wrong about:
Kimi to Ferrari, Perez out of McLaren, Maldonado to Lotus, Kobash comes back, Gutierrez stays, Chilton stays, Boullier leaves Lotus.

I stream Ustream, we all scream for PRC.
Kobacrashi

Post by Kobacrashi »

Premature but one word: McLaren
Kobayashi is back! Need I say more!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Only in Australia would people try to do that sort of stuff. And get away with it :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Sergio Perez
Trump 2016
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

So far it looks like Charles Pic for missing the 107% time!
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Svenko Wankerov

Post by Svenko Wankerov »

Caterham for actually being a bigger embarrassment than Fernandes' other team.
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

Pirreli's Super Soft Tire.

I think it may be made of banana peels.
Message me on Discord.
Ben Purse

Post by Ben Purse »

Sergio Perez. How do you not finish in the points in a Mclaren with no car problems?
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Where to start here?

Force India's Strategist - Brought Sutil in far too early for his final stop, costing him 5th,

The Reverend Maldolan - Picking up where he left 2012. :lol:

Pirelli - Clearly those super softs were made out of cheese.

But ROTR has to go to:

McLaren - Absolutely nowhere in the race. A grand total of two points.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l