The Alessandro Zanardi IndyCar Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Bleu

Re: The Alessandro Zanardi IndyCar Thread

Post by Bleu »

ROTR for J.R. Hildebrand. Twice overtaking under yellows and then smashes into Power during the caution period.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Also a shout-out to Tristan Vautier, who was driving very solidly in about 5th or 6th when his car broke down.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

I give my ROTR to Helio Castroneves. He is one of most experienced drivers in the grid, but made a rookie mistake that cost him the victory.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

mines 'Chitti, for that pit exit gaff.
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Dj_bereta wrote:I give my ROTR to Helio Castroneves. He is one of most experienced drivers in the grid, but made a rookie mistake that cost him the victory.

Pardon me, WHAT?!

Dario Franchitti took the cake for rookie errors. Let's not forget that Dario ran like crap all weekend long and threw it away doing one of the most basic things in U.S. open wheel racing -- running on cold tires!!

Bleu wrote:ROTR for J.R. Hildebrand. Twice overtaking under yellows and then smashes into Power during the caution period.

Even better, it meant that the whiny bastards at Panther Racing have a big repair bill. I like J.R. Hildebrand, but it's hard to cheer for him when he drives for Panther. Easy ROTR for Hildebrand for doing his best Dan Clarke impersonation since Milka Duno was around.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Cynon wrote:
Dj_bereta wrote:I give my ROTR to Helio Castroneves. He is one of most experienced drivers in the grid, but made a rookie mistake that cost him the victory.

Pardon me, WHAT?!

Dario Franchitti took the cake for rookie errors. Let's not forget that Dario ran like crap all weekend long and threw it away doing one of the most basic things in U.S. open wheel racing -- running on cold tires!!

Meanwhile, Scott Dixon was driving like an absolute boss and just beat Simona de Silvestro to 5th from 20th on the grid. There's a reason the commentators were talking up his title chances and not Franchitti's. ROTR for Franchitti from me.
Everything's great.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Hinchcliffe won? How do I even....?
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

JeremyMcClean wrote:Hinchcliffe won? How do I even....?

He was well on the pace through qualifying and the race, took advantage of a mistake from Castroneves, and then absorbed Castroneves' pressure all the way to the flag. It was a brilliant drive for Hinchcliffe.
Everything's great.
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

I was really sad when Simona missed out on the podium, but she did a hell of job this weekend. Good race.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

F1000X wrote:I was really sad when Simona missed out on the podium, but she did a hell of job this weekend. Good race.

She did well not to be taken by Viso at the end. It was very close between her, Viso and Dixon. Hoping she has a good season. Seems promising after round 1...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
johnnyCarwash

Post by johnnyCarwash »

Franchitti's pit exit was pretty rejectful but J.R. Hildebrand managed to beat it by crashing during caution period... at least he K.O. Will Power from contending the win :D
The ChiltonCraze at the British Grand Prix
FIA driver press conference announcer wrote:On pole position for his home grand prix for the first time, Max Chilton
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

I miss Milka (Duno), I dunno.
-*:-
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

I just realized that Oriol Servia was Indy Lights champion in 1999 with 0 wins.
He beat runner-up Casey Mears to the title by 14 points. And Mears didn't have any wins either! :roll:

The first driver in the final standings to have at least one win was Philipp Peter with 3. But he was still 29 points behind Servia.
Talk about a season from the Twilight Zone.

Oh, and the winning margin in the season finale at Fontana was .049 sec.
Philipp Peter finished 10th.
O_o
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Jocke1 wrote:I just realized that Oriol Servia was Indy Lights champion in 1999 with 0 wins.
He beat runner-up Casey Mears to the title by 14 points. And Mears didn't have any wins either! :roll:

The first driver in the final standings to have at least one win was Philipp Peter with 3. But he was still 29 points behind Servia.
Talk about a season from the Twilight Zone.

Oh, and the winning margin in the season finale at Fontana was .049 sec.
Philipp Peter finished 10th.
O_o

Servia won once in ChampCar (2005 Molson Montreal) though. He finished the year in second place.

And who the guy in your avatar is? :?
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

FMecha wrote:And who the guy in your avatar is? :?

No guy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuffie
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Conor Daly to drive second Foyt car at Indy: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/106484

Good on the kid, I say. And if Sato's form is anything to go by, the #41 could be right up there come the month of May.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

or Sato might hurl his car into a banzai move against 'Chitti a second time

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

nome66 wrote:or Sato might hurl his car into a banzai move against 'Chitti a second time

If he takes Dario with him the next time, I'll hardly be upset.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

IIDOTR so far for Charles Kimball and that overtake.

ROTR... no idea.
SeedStriker

Post by SeedStriker »

How about the rolling start? That first launch was lame, and took Hinchcliffe out of the equation.
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Dj_bereta wrote:IIDOTR so far for Charles Kimball and that overtake.

ROTR... no idea.

Kimball was seriously impressive all race. I've always written him off as a driver who's only major accomplishment was competing at the top level with diabetes. He showed some real brilliance. So did Tristan Vautier; that guy isn't going anywhere but up.

Power did a good job of salvaging a pretty terrible first half of the race.

Hunter-Rhey drove like a defending champion should.

Sadly, Simona was nowhere.

Another great race. I hope long beach isn't a snooze.
FloProAct

Post by FloProAct »

Dj_bereta wrote:ROTR... no idea.

I'd be tempted to give it to KV. Qualifying wasn't great, and both drivers were almost entirely anonymous in the race.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Hinchcliffe staying his car for an hour or so is ROTR-worthy.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Bleu wrote:Hinchcliffe staying his car for an hour or so is ROTR-worthy.

The track marshals were reject of the race for that farce.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

A few drivers tyre-tested at Pocono yesterday. They were running both the Indy spe wings and the same compound tyres as last years 500. Now since its a test INDYCAR posted no official times but NBCSN is reporting laps in the 41 second rand at an average of 215 with drivers hitting turn 1 well over 220! These times would be well under the prior tracks record (based on a 211 average). Keep in mind too that no one did any banzai laps and the test was cut short due to rain with the times still dropping, so a pole speed average of 217-218 is certainly possible. Not bad for a bunch of drivers who never saw Pocono before!
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

Wallio wrote:Not bad for a bunch of drivers who never saw Pocono before!

But bad for a series that almost ran 240mph at Indy...once upon a time.
MIA SAN MIA!
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Ferrarist wrote:
Wallio wrote:Not bad for a bunch of drivers who never saw Pocono before!

But bad for a series that almost ran 240mph at Indy...once upon a time.

True, but they never ran that fast at Pocono.All these Indy-to-Pocono comparsions I keep seeing are unfair. Yes Indy and Pocono are both 2.5 miles. Thats it. Otherwise they're TOTALLY different. Pocono has nowhere near the banking, and has three separate turns, not one turn four times. I'll go out on a limb and say that by the time this contract is up with Pocono (it has an option for a fourth year IIRC) they'll be flirting with 220 as a pole speed.

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Wallio wrote:A few drivers tyre-tested at Pocono yesterday. They were running both the Indy spe wings and the same compound tyres as last years 500. Now since its a test INDYCAR posted no official times but NBCSN is reporting laps in the 41 second rand at an average of 215 with drivers hitting turn 1 well over 220! These times would be well under the prior tracks record (based on a 211 average). Keep in mind too that no one did any banzai laps and the test was cut short due to rain with the times still dropping, so a pole speed average of 217-218 is certainly possible. Not bad for a bunch of drivers who never saw Pocono before!

This suggests based on the 1989 pole speed of Rick Mears at 223.885 and the old Pocono track record that the pole speed for this year's 500 should be around the 228 to 230 mp/h range at Indianapolis. The differences of design are that great between the two tracks.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

are there any figures on how the downforce of the cars is affecting turn 1 exit speeds?

Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

nome66 wrote:are there any figures on how the downforce of the cars is affecting turn 1 exit speeds?

Nothing official, but I'd say not much, as a few drivers reported taking the corner flat out. Will Power told our local paper he thinks the Indy-wings are actually giving them TOO MUCH downforce, so again, I'd expect times to drop come July.

nome66

Post by nome66 »

ah. then in that case they should reduce the downforce somehow, as pocono really isn't pack-friendly no matter how much nascar says it is.

F1000X

Post by F1000X »

nome66 wrote:ah. then in that case they should reduce the downforce somehow, as pocono really isn't pack-friendly no matter how much nascar says it is.

I can't imagine pack racing at Pocono is possible no matter what they do to the car. If you can't go flat all the way around (which you can't, period), how would they make it happen?

It won't happen, but I wish they would give them crazy power for this race, to force them to brake going into turn 1. I don't see how there will be much overtaking unless people get really reckless on the backstretch.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

F1000X wrote:
nome66 wrote:ah. then in that case they should reduce the downforce somehow, as pocono really isn't pack-friendly no matter how much nascar says it is.

I can't imagine pack racing at Pocono is possible no matter what they do to the car. If you can't go flat all the way around (which you can't, period), how would they make it happen?

It won't happen, but I wish they would give them crazy power for this race, to force them to brake going into turn 1. I don't see how there will be much overtaking unless people get really reckless on the backstretch.

I would say any pack racing would be halted by the Tunnel Turn. The banking elsewhere on the track may allow it, but turn two is a lane and a half wide at best.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Sato is the leader and there's only a few laps to the end! :twisted:
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Dj_bereta wrote:Sato is the leader and there's only a few laps to the end! :twisted:

10 laps to go, and he's apparently starting to pull away from the field. Could it really be a victory? 8-)
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

HE'S DONE IT! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

GLORY!!!
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

SSSSSAAAAATTTTOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Awesome drive from Taku, he really deserved that. Barely put a foot wrong all day. :D
Everything's great.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

IIDOTR! Very impressive drive of Sato. Also, giving to A.J Foyt the first victory in almost 11 years.

I didn't watch the entire race, but I give the RoTR for late-braking guys: RRH crashed while trying to overtake Bia, Kimball crashed while trying to unlap himself and T.K throws a solid 6th in a crash with Oriol Servia in the last laps.