The Alessandro Zanardi IndyCar Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Bleu

Re: The Alessandro Zanardi IndyCar Thread

Post by Bleu »

Since most of drivers who go to IndyCar have somehow failed in F1, probably higher chance is it's Nicholas Latifi.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

That was a well-deserved victory for former Sauber driver Marcus Ericsson. Congrats!
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

In GP Rejects terms, more importantly Ericsson is a former Caterham driver.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Just when I thought Will Power had become more mature this season I’m sure he’s gone and used his car as a weapon on the slow down lap. Can’t believe the coverage hasn’t spoken about that a little more.

Anyway Newgarden was excellent on a course he’s one of the masters of. It seems to be win or bust for him so far (3 wins but also 4 finishes below 13th. A few more finishes like Detroit (4th) and he’d be comfortably clear at the front. Rossi’s form has really picked up since his McLaren move was announced and so has the man who’s fighting to stay with that team Felix Rosenqvist.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

You’d love to be a fly on the wall in the Andretti debrief tonight. What an absolute disasterclass that was. Not pitting Colton Herta under a caution when literally everyone else did, team-mates at war with Alexander Rossi driving like a man who’s moving teams next year. Not to mention being shown up by Penske and Ganassi once again
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

It's awful luck for Stefan Wilson to be ruled out of this year's Indy 500, due to a practice crash with Katherine Legge, but at least Graham Rahal (the only DNQ) gets a chance to race.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Brits taking out Brits? How very quaint.
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

MCard LOLA
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

dr-baker wrote: 24 May 2023, 05:49 It's awful luck for Stefan Wilson to be ruled out of this year's Indy 500, due to a practice crash with Katherine Legge, but at least Graham Rahal (the only DNQ) gets a chance to race.
Rules and precedents aside, I was very annoyed that Graham got in (mostly because it's Graham, and he is beyond unlikable), so I was very happy to see the gods of the Speedway punish him with battery failure on the grid.

In wheel news, an investigation has shown that the tether did not actually fail. Rather, the entire tether/wheel/hub assembly was seared off. Which to the best of everyone's knowledge, has never happened before. Alas, poor Snowball (the nickname the young lady has for her car) was totaled in this freak accident.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Wallio wrote: 30 May 2023, 15:43 In wheel news, an investigation has shown that the tether did not actually fail. Rather, the entire tether/wheel/hub assembly was seared off. Which to the best of everyone's knowledge, has never happened before. Alas, poor Snowball (the nickname the young lady has for her car) was totaled in this freak accident.
Well, I hope the young lady finds her Snowball 2.
MCard LOLA
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Ok, that was funny.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
mario

Post by mario »

Having occasionally dabbled in this thread, I was wondering if somebody can make any sense of what exactly is going on with Alex Palou and the mess that is his contract status?

We had the initial lawsuit for Palou to stay at Ganassi, and now we've had Palou bail out of his deal with McLaren to stay at Ganassi - at which point, the company that had been managing Palou resigned over his decision. More recently, McLaren have now filed a lawsuit in the UK after paying Palou an advance on his salary, only for Palou to allegedly then refuse to pay the money back after breaking his contract with them.

McLaren seem to be throwing around some rather claims for compensation, with rumours that they're asking for as much as $20-30 million in damages to compensate for the advance made to Palou, plus lost earnings from sponsors that were apparently going to be moving to the team as part of the deal with Palou. It may be that they're asking for a lot to then negotiate down to a more moderate settlement, but it sounds like it could be rather expensive for Palou if he ends up losing the case.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

So by now, Pietro Fittipaldi has signed up with Team Rahal to drive 2024. And the "Man without vowels", Romain Grosjean himself, has signed with Ricardo Juncos' team. Whilst former Indy 500 winner Marcus Ericsson continues his IndyCar career with Andretti Autosport Global.

From the perspective of this very website, the 2024 IndyCar season is going to be an interesting one yet again.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Jarvis

Post by Jarvis »

Expecting a close fight between Chip Ganassi Racing and Team Penske in the 2024 season. Both teams have very good drivers in their disposal so everything is likely to be very close between them in the upcoming season.
My F1 Favorites: Fav Track | Fav Driver | Fav App
mario

Post by mario »

Jarvis wrote: 26 Dec 2023, 18:25 Expecting a close fight between Chip Ganassi Racing and Team Penske in the 2024 season. Both teams have very good drivers in their disposal so everything is likely to be very close between them in the upcoming season.
The ongoing court case between Palou and McLaren is unlikely to help Palou's performance, particularly since, about a month ago, Palou's legal team admitted in court that Palou was at fault for the breach in contact with McLaren. Indeed, their submission accepts that McLaren are "entitled to sue for damages", with their strategy now revolving around trying to minimise the size of the claim that McLaren can make against Palou. https://eu.indystar.com/story/sports/mo ... 733906007/
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Jarvis

Post by Jarvis »

Indianapolis 500 winner, two-time CART champion and McLaren F1 advisor Gil de Ferran has died aged 56.
My F1 Favorites: Fav Track | Fav Driver | Fav App
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Jarvis wrote: 30 Dec 2023, 15:33 Indianapolis 500 winner, two-time CART champion and McLaren F1 advisor Gil de Ferran has died aged 56.
Also sporting director for BAR from 2005 to 2007, and according to Autosport, De Ferran holds the record for the fastest closed circuit qualifying speed ever in his Penske IndyCar, lapping California Speedway at 241.428mph in October 2000.
MCard LOLA