Ponderbox for virtual series

The place for spinning interesting fictitious tales, including your virtual racing exploits
UncreativeUsername37

Re: Ponderbox for virtual series

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

F1 Challenge calls McLaren McLaren, Ferrari Ferrari, Minardi Minardi, etc., except Williams is WilliamsF1 Team. I've always wondered why this is.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Something just passed into my head recently...

Since F1RMGP takes DNQ as a tiebreaker, I always assumed there is a sandbagging possibility by a deliberate DNQ, although often I also think the opposite could happen because the other party in the tiebreaker could finish and snatch points. :geek:
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
UncreativeUsername37

FMecha wrote:Something just passed into my head recently...

Since F1RMGP takes DNQ as a tiebreaker, I always assumed there is a sandbagging possibility by a deliberate DNQ, although often I also think the opposite could happen because the other party in the tiebreaker could finish and snatch points. :geek:

I thought more DNQs got you a lower position. So there would be no point to that.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Seeing Bernie is starting to lose it in terms of trying to spice up F1, an idea to mind for possible virtual series: F1 using Indycar chassis.

This would drastically cut costs as many teams are crying out for, and watching works teams and engine suppliers try to work with it could be interesting. It would certainly open things up for new teams, though how an FW11 or DW12 could work on the F1 calendar is still a big question mark for me...

For sample years i'm curious if the switch would occur in either 2014 with the new chassis and engine rules or in 2005 in an attempt to curb the Ferrari juggernaut by throwing the prancing horses waaay into left field :lol:
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Since there really isn't a need to start a new thread for this, and because I might've caused some people to start pondering, I'm posting it here.

The big sweep has occured again, with most topics active prior to April 2014 sent into the archive subforum. I've kept a few older threads in as there might be a faint hope that they might still reactivate, but even them will be archived exactly one year after the last post.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

From the Formula Rejects Wiki page for F1RGP2C overview:

the Wiki's F1RGP2C page wrote:The F1RGP2C was originally conceived by an Eastern European consortium who wanted to make a new racing series with an added twist. Using some questionable alternate reality simulators, (created by Micropose and the guys behind the hologram machines in the F1RMGP) the series was set to start, albeit twenty years in the past. However, the Eastern European consortium ran out of money and the series was on the brink of death. Luckily, former F1RWRS driver Tristan Jung stepped in (using a time machine) to become the president of the renamed F1RGP2C and run the series.

A year or two ago, reading comments on this forum, I thought it was established that this was cannon, and that no time travel was involved, but that those drivers in the F1RGP2C that happened to share names with those in F1RWRS was pure coincidence and were separate characters. What is the truth with this situation? Because Douglas Mann in F1RGP2C is only 5-6 years away from catching up with his NASCAR back story which will (eventually) run straight into F1RWRS. And if the time travel story line is cannon, at what point does all the time travelling happen? Once per year? Once per race? Once ever?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

dr-baker wrote:From the Formula Rejects Wiki page for F1RGP2C overview:

the Wiki's F1RGP2C page wrote:The F1RGP2C was originally conceived by an Eastern European consortium who wanted to make a new racing series with an added twist. Using some questionable alternate reality simulators, (created by Micropose and the guys behind the hologram machines in the F1RMGP) the series was set to start, albeit twenty years in the past. However, the Eastern European consortium ran out of money and the series was on the brink of death. Luckily, former F1RWRS driver Tristan Jung stepped in (using a time machine) to become the president of the renamed F1RGP2C and run the series.

A year or two ago, reading comments on this forum, I thought it was established that this was cannon, and that no time travel was involved, but that those drivers in the F1RGP2C that happened to share names with those in F1RWRS was pure coincidence and were separate characters. What is the truth with this situation? Because Douglas Mann in F1RGP2C is only 5-6 years away from catching up with his NASCAR back story which will (eventually) run straight into F1RWRS. And if the time travel story line is cannon, at what point does all the time travelling happen? Once per year? Once per race? Once ever?

It was decided quite a while ago now that time travelling was not part of the canon. Someone else will gladly explain the F1RGP2C backstory to you better than I could. What I can explain is the double name problem: it is accepted now that F1RGP2C and current canon drivers who share the same name are two completely separate drivers, unless stated otherwise.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

pasta_maldonado wrote:
dr-baker wrote:From the Formula Rejects Wiki page for F1RGP2C overview:

It was decided quite a while ago now that time travelling was not part of the canon. Someone else will gladly explain the F1RGP2C backstory to you better than I could. What I can explain is the double name problem: it is accepted now that F1RGP2C and current canon drivers who share the same name are two completely separate drivers, unless stated otherwise.

That's what I thought, but that is not reflected in the Wiki. The Wiki, as quoted above, still refers to F1RGP2C as a series containing time travel, and any links from those pages still links to the F1RWRS Douglas Mann. I can accept either version of cannon, but the Wiki just didn't seem to reflect accepted cannon reality.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

dr-baker wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:It was decided quite a while ago now that time travelling was not part of the canon. Someone else will gladly explain the F1RGP2C backstory to you better than I could. What I can explain is the double name problem: it is accepted now that F1RGP2C and current canon drivers who share the same name are two completely separate drivers, unless stated otherwise.

That's what I thought, but that is not reflected in the Wiki. The Wiki, as quoted above, still refers to F1RGP2C as a series containing time travel, and any links from those pages still links to the F1RWRS Douglas Mann. I can accept either version of cannon, but the Wiki just didn't seem to reflect accepted cannon reality.

Then, it seems like the F1RPG2C wiki page needs a little bit of updating :P As for the drivers, that issue can be quickly fixed, by creating a new page for F1RGP2C Douglas and pointing all the season pages to it. It might be better to give F1RGP2C a middle name or something along those lines, to perhaps make the distinction clearer?
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

pasta_maldonado wrote:
dr-baker wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:It was decided quite a while ago now that time travelling was not part of the canon. Someone else will gladly explain the F1RGP2C backstory to you better than I could. What I can explain is the double name problem: it is accepted now that F1RGP2C and current canon drivers who share the same name are two completely separate drivers, unless stated otherwise.

Then, it seems like the F1RPG2C wiki page needs a little bit of updating :P As for the drivers, that issue can be quickly fixed, by creating a new page for F1RGP2C Douglas and pointing all the season pages to it. It might be better to give F1RGP2C a middle name or something along those lines, to perhaps make the distinction clearer?

OK, so let the F1RGP2C version be Douglas Andrew Mann. Just so he could be DA Mann. Or even DAM.
MCard LOLA
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

So with Le Mans Cup failing to take off, what will happen next to the endurance racing in GPR Universe? I have an idea that would integrate the GT500 class into an endurance series in addition to the LMP and regular GT class, with the GT500 cars being named Proto-Touring (PT) class.

Thoughts? :)
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

FMecha wrote:So with Le Mans Cup failing to take off, what will happen next to the endurance racing in GPR Universe? I have an idea that would integrate the GT500 class into an endurance series in addition to the LMP and regular GT class, with the GT500 cars being named Proto-Touring (PT) class.

Sounds like a good idea, but xkoranate-run series (I presume that is what it boils down to, given your current game uses it) are not gonna be part of the canon, so if that is your plan you need to find a better way to simulate it - and, let me tell you from experience, even if that wasn't the case, using xkoranate for actual endurance racing worthy of the name is a bad, bad idea.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Klon wrote:
FMecha wrote:So with Le Mans Cup failing to take off, what will happen next to the endurance racing in GPR Universe? I have an idea that would integrate the GT500 class into an endurance series in addition to the LMP and regular GT class, with the GT500 cars being named Proto-Touring (PT) class.

Sounds like a good idea, but xkoranate-run series (I presume that is what it boils down to, given your current game uses it) are not gonna be part of the canon, so if that is your plan you need to find a better way to simulate it - and, let me tell you from experience, even if that wasn't the case, using xkoranate for actual endurance racing worthy of the name is a bad, bad idea.

This is just an idea, I will most definitely not run it due to several factors. ;)

Also, regarding xkoranate, I noticed that RWMT is currently using it.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

FMecha wrote:
Also, regarding xkoranate, I noticed that RWMT is currently using it.

We're aware, but it's because Pointrox had issues with GP500. Stop grassing people up, please.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Nuppiz wrote:Since there really isn't a need to start a new thread for this, and because I might've caused some people to start pondering, I'm posting it here.

The big sweep has occured again, with most topics active prior to April 2014 sent into the archive subforum. I've kept a few older threads in as there might be a faint hope that they might still reactivate, but even them will be archived exactly one year after the last post.

Just notifying that this has been done again. Most topics with the last post made on 21st October 2014 or earlier have been archived.
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

The subforums have been swept clean again, in anticipation of the 2018 ASMF season. Check the archive if you can't find a topic that used to be in one of the three subforums.
UncreativeUsername37

Is it just me or why do GP2 AIs set sector times .055 seconds better or worse than the next guy up in qualifying so often?
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Is it just me or why do GP2 AIs set sector times .055 seconds better or worse than the next guy up in qualifying so often?

Can't speak for .055, but there are a few numbers that come up quite often in GP2. A reason for that, I got not.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

This is just mostly a guess, but I think it may be simply that the RNG is not very advanced in GP2.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

For some reason, GP2 is acting up on me again. If I attempt to switch to camera outside the cockpit, GP2 hangs. I tried using NOSTATELOAD and resetted GP2Lap settings to no avail. What to do? :(
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

FMecha wrote:For some reason, GP2 is acting up on me again. If I attempt to switch to camera outside the cockpit, GP2 hangs. I tried using NOSTATELOAD and resetted GP2Lap settings to no avail. What to do? :(

Load up a different carset and try it. It could be that you've done something in GP2Edit that the game doesn't like.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:F1 Challenge calls McLaren McLaren, Ferrari Ferrari, Minardi Minardi, etc., except Williams is WilliamsF1 Team. I've always wondered why this is.

So did I. A few of the mods do that too, so I just changed it.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

All topics where the last reply was made at least one year ago have been archived. A few other topics which are unlikely to be active again have been moved as well.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Just a thought, but could there ever be a platform for a sort of GPR BOSS GP where all the canon teams to have competed in major categories (F1, ARWS, F2, AR3.5, Indy, etc) would be able to bring together their old out-of-date cars?
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Aislabie wrote:Just a thought, but could there ever be a platform for a sort of GPR BOSS GP where all the canon teams to have competed in major categories (F1, ARWS, F2, AR3.5, Indy, etc) would be able to bring together their old out-of-date cars?

I had an idea for a ARWS historic series where drivers run old ARWS cars at old or past tracks, but I frankly have no interest in running it anymore. You can feel free to try it or a similar BOSS GP thing, but outside of GP2 it could be difficult since it would involve putting several different mods together...
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:
Aislabie wrote:Just a thought, but could there ever be a platform for a sort of GPR BOSS GP where all the canon teams to have competed in major categories (F1, ARWS, F2, AR3.5, Indy, etc) would be able to bring together their old out-of-date cars?

I had an idea for a ARWS historic series where drivers run old ARWS cars at old or past tracks, but I frankly have no interest in running it anymore. You can feel free to try it or a similar BOSS GP thing, but outside of GP2 it could be difficult since it would involve putting several different mods together...

It doesn't help that no simulator (apart from GPx) can run a series like that due to the fact that almost all cars are fictional. Unless you really wanna mess around with the hdv files of the ISImotor games, it would be best to run it in GP2, and even that can cause a bit of a difference in perfomance between top serieses.
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Does anyone else here participate in other offline racing series/RPs? :? I know some of you partake in Cynon's series, and I've participating in this series called "Global Racing League", featuring some people I know from another forum.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Nuppiz, on ryangregg12345' TORCS thread wrote:
ryangregg12345 wrote:Just one thing - How do you rename TORCS AI? :?

You can't rename the built-in robots as far as I'm aware - you'll have to create your own. Which is a fun little task.

Sorry for the gravedig here, but since the thread has been locked (at my request), Racing Heart told me via Discord that it is possible to change the name of the TORCS' AI drivers in the XML file of the AI robots. :)
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

FMecha wrote:
Sorry for the gravedig here, but since the thread has been locked (at my request), Racing Heart told me via Discord that it is possible to change the name of the TORCS' AI drivers in the XML file of the AI robots. :)

Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

With the main 2019 ASMF season about to begin, I've done another archival run. All season topics where the season is over have been archived (except AR 3.5, because I'll use the first post as a base when eventually posting the 2019 thread and I prefer not having to dig it up from the archive then).

In the BSMF and 18-MDMF, all topics older than half a year (i.e. last reply in early August 2016) have been archived.
Pilot

Post by Pilot »

What would be a series for canon that people would be interested in?
Biscione wrote:Can you stop being such a snowflake for five minutes?
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Pilot8 wrote:What would be a series for canon that people would be interested in?

In the canon, most of the higher series tend to have waiting lists on entries, given how many people can only be in the game at one time. If you're looking for brand new, completely fresh entries be it with real life or fictional drivers, I highly recommend joining a series F3 or lower a touring car seriesor even a non-canon series in the 18-Metre Debut forum, just so you can get to grips with how the canon works. Start learning to swim in the baby pool before heading to the deep end, as they say.

Remember to read the sign up rules very carefully, but no need to feel worried if you break a rule here or there. Sometimes we all do by accident. Just be nice and respectful, and you're gonna have a ton of fun. If you have any other issues when joining a series and so on, don't be afraid to ask. If you want to find out about the rather extensive history of our canon series, pop by our very own wiki for series histories and much more.

Enjoy!!
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

Pilot8 wrote:What would be a series for canon that people would be interested in?

If you want to join a series now, my non-canon Virtual BTCC series in the 18m-Debut Forum has four spaces available, if that interests you (I know this is blatant self-promotion, but eh)
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Based on what Pilot8 was discussing in the chatroom yesterday, I think he's more asking for suggestions on what series should he attempt to run, rather than where to join.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

You're more than welcome to start up an F4 series to add to the growing list we have right now. The goal of such bottom-rung series is a nice and simple management game that doesn't have too many rules. No need for chassis building, engine deals, multi-year driver contracts, sponsorship, budgets or any of that; just a bit of fun. ;)

Star Mazda/Pro Mazda is another lower level series that's something of a missing link in the American Open Wheel ladder that a number of people around here have been wanting to see. Like F4, rules are expected not to be too complex, so again it's a fairly low maintenance gig.

If you do have any concrete plans, be sure to post them in the planning thread so people can critique it and help iron out any creases before properly going ahead.
#FreeGonzo
Pilot

Post by Pilot »

Nuppiz wrote:Based on what Pilot8 was discussing in the chatroom yesterday, I think he's more asking for suggestions on what series should he attempt to run, rather than where to join.

Correct.

Simtek, thanks for the information. Now for the planning phase!
Biscione wrote:Can you stop being such a snowflake for five minutes?
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

A long-overdue archival run on all three subforums has been done. All topics which I considered dead have been moved to the archive subforum, so check there if something's missing.
BioBiro
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BioBiro »

Hi, everyone~

This seems like a good thread, to ask a question on my mind: How do users running virtual series, here, keep control of financial and performance balancing issues, as time progresses in their series?

Specifically, the main problem being: Kicking-out teams that no-longer are part of your championship's real-life timeline.

I've noticed that some series' - which are otherwise very well run - often end-up 'dragging' a lot of teams with them, into seasons far beyond when those teams were defunct in real life. As very few users would voluntarily kick themselves out of a series they enjoy participating in, what methods can be used - which sit-well with both managers and participating players - to eliminate teams that have... 'overstayed' their welcome, whether through force, incentive, etc.? If a team is factory-backed, then this acts as a convenient 'out', as a series controller can simply stop the backing and use that as an excuse to let the team die, but with independent teams this is no loner an option! The implementation of 'gold sinks', to rid teams of excess funds, can be an effective tool, but the fundamental problem with this technique, is that users are too sensible to spend more money when their balance is already extremely low; instead, the team continues on for numerous seasons too-long, avoiding bankruptcy all the while.
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

BioBiro wrote:Hi, everyone~

This seems like a good thread, to ask a question on my mind: How do users running virtual series, here, keep control of financial and performance balancing issues, as time progresses in their series?

Specifically, the main problem being: Kicking-out teams that no-longer are part of your championship's real-life timeline.

I've noticed that some series' - which are otherwise very well run - often end-up 'dragging' a lot of teams with them, into seasons far beyond when those teams were defunct in real life. As very few users would voluntarily kick themselves out of a series they enjoy participating in, what methods can be used - which sit-well with both managers and participating players - to eliminate teams that have... 'overstayed' their welcome, whether through force, incentive, etc.? If a team is factory-backed, then this acts as a convenient 'out', as a series controller can simply stop the backing and use that as an excuse to let the team die, but with independent teams this is no loner an option! The implementation of 'gold sinks', to rid teams of excess funds, can be an effective tool, but the fundamental problem with this technique, is that users are too sensible to spend more money when their balance is already extremely low; instead, the team continues on for numerous seasons too-long, avoiding bankruptcy all the while.

As you may notice, this is a fatal flaw (one of many, really) of my Virtual BTCC series, which I've attempted to solve by gradually attempting to reduce funds (the "Gold Sinks" method, as you put it), but this has had the opposite effect so while teams like CVR, Maxtreme and AFM (who all went backrupt in 2009) look like they'll make it into 2011 due to shrewd management, while Honda Team Dynamics, WSR and Triple Eight look sketchy to say the least, and are in massive debt.
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
BioBiro
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BioBiro »

This Could Be You wrote:As you may notice, this is a fatal flaw (one of many, really) of my Virtual BTCC series, which I've attempted to solve by gradually attempting to reduce funds (the "Gold Sinks" method, as you put it), but this has had the opposite effect so while teams like CVR, Maxtreme and AFM (who all went backrupt in 2009) look like they'll make it into 2011 due to shrewd management, while Honda Team Dynamics, WSR and Triple Eight look sketchy to say the least, and are in massive debt.
While I think you're a little hard on your own series, it's clear you understand the problem, entirely :-P.

I've pondered this with my own series for quite a while, now. If I had to start another series from scratch, I'd figure this bit out first...

A major stumbling block with this issue, is that there is no incentive for someone dissolve their team in a virtual series, where as there are many reasons why an owner may do that in real life (retiring, selling the team for a profit, etc.). I had considered 'rewards' that could be granted to team owners who willing dissolve their teams, such as giving them 'priority status' (ahead of everyone else) in the queue to join the series (which would be rather unfair), or even sending them actual money in the post!

Sometimes, if the manager of a team wishes to leave the series - and the team they manage should historically be gone by now (e.g. the Simtek team) - then the series organizer may simply choose not to select a new manager for that team and let it disappear from the championship; however, this could be considered 'selectivity' on the part of the series organizer, since - if the team were a successful one (e.g. the McLaren team) they would insist on another user taking over the team, for the sake of realism.

I think it could be argued that we series organizers are too generous with sponsorship, perhaps? A great deal of of teams, in real life, go under because they simply have no available credit nor income, but there is always ample sponsorship and wealthy pay-drivers in virtual series'.

This issue seems to be exacerbated by all major expenditure (i.e. the type of expenditure that forces bankruptcy) being deducted at the start of each season, which does not mirror reality at all, since a team's expenses are typically paid on monthly or per-race basis in real life. Because the only costs to a team are upgrades - which are fundamentally optional - it's effectively impossible for a team that has completed its initial car construction and signing of drivers, sponsors and suppliers, to go bankrupt mid-season.

One way I thought of solving the issue, was by implementing a 'merge teams' functionality, but it has the problem of necessitating one player to give-up their team, when neither may wish to.

'Surprise' costs, such as a team's headquarters burning down and having to pay for a new one, etc could sink a team. However, the team cannot suffer any kind of surprise event that affects only the cars, since any team with a stable balance would be able to (in real life) build further cars.

'Elbow grease' - in the form of creative thinking - alone can solve this problem, but finding methods of amicably kicking teams out of a series is very difficult; some examples from real life might be, er... er~...:
  • The Toleman team being unable to compete in 1985, due to making enemies of all remaining tyre suppliers, after Michelin pulled-out.
  • Vic Lee getting his hatless butt thrown in the slammer, twice, for smuggling bags of flour to Holland.
  • ... I can't think of any more...

It could also be argued, that, it's preferable to take an aggressive approach and just kick people out when it's time for their team to go, and the annoyance felt by that person is a victim of the enjoyment of the group (the end justifying the means).