The Real Championship

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Ross Prawn

The Real Championship

Post by Ross Prawn »

OK, we all know about this car driving stuff. But who were the winners and losers in the proper F1 championship. You know, the one where billionaires try to shaft each other in the most inventive ways possible, whilst pretending to race cars. All rounds are fought in the Place de Concorde, Paris.

My vote for F1 champion is Max Moseley - Having got caught up in a sex scandal that would have finished the career of any mortal, he came back, sued for damages and won. Early in the season he took Ron Dennis's head. Despite being apparently sacked at mid season, he returned again to spearhead the kebbabing of Flavio Briatore. Altogether a virtuoso political performance. He may be as mad as a bag of monkeys, but you have to admire his guile. My favorite Max moment:--- The perfected reasonable explanation of why letting Renault off scott free was in fact the most severe punishment possible. Black is white.

Reject of the Year is Bernie. In a year of very active political Bernie has seemed sadly out of form. He has never really got in there and knifed anyone all year. Just made vague comments about 'sorting F1 out in 48 hours', followed by inaction. He is really starting to look like yesterdays man. To compound the situation we have the Hitler comments, the defence of Flav, the bonkers Malaysia start times, and his support for the doomed Donnington project. Not as sharp as he used to be.
"Other than the car behind and the driver who might get a bit startled with the sudden explosion in front, it really isn't a major safety issue from that point of view,"
noisebox

Re: The Real Championship

Post by noisebox »

It has to be Max - as you mention he's shafted Dennis and Briatore, the coup de gras will be if Jean Todt, his nominated succesor is chosen as the new FIA President.
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

I'll hold my vote until the election results are in. As for ROTY, a warm applause for Briatore, who was tackled and shamed live. Dennis, at least, stepped down before being thrown overboard.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Ulfuls

Post by Ulfuls »

Max certainly looks like the leader at this point, having survived an attempt at (character) assassination through the NOTW, with the scalps of Ron and Flav hanging from his belt, blatant whipping of the World Council into line, &c. On the other hand, he didn't really achieve an unqualified victory over FOTA, and they're still there, with all ten teams as members, somewhat fractious but essentially united. And one wonders if he overplayed his hand on the Ari Vatanen thing. Vatanen really can't lose at this point, whatever happens in the election -- he might manage to pull a victory out of the hat, in which case Max and everything he stands for will be dismantled at double time. And even if he loses, there will surely be lingering doubts about the fairness of the election, and Todt will be in a somewhat weakened position, presumably less able to counter a still-vital FOTA. So Max could still finish well down the table.

For provisional ROTY, my vote goes to Simon Gillett. Despite Bernie giving him concessions that are denied every other promoter, I think Gillett will still ultimately fail to pull the funding together for Donington -- and thank God for that. Gillett has demonstrated that he doesn't actually like motor racing -- he just sees the Tilkefied Donington as another property deal. Hopefully, when the race goes back to Silverstone for 2010, any chance he has of completing the financing will evaporate, and we can see a race on a circuit with some history as opposed to a 4.738 km agglomeration of corporate bullshite.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

Vatanen can't lose anything??? Todt is almost certain to win, and Vatanen can do little without the presidency except be a critic of the FIA, whch everyone is anyway. And that is how I give this title to Max, he'se liminated Ron and Flav and looks to have got his mate Todt the FIA presidency to make sure the domination he and Bernie had over the sport remains. Also if Todt gave him a job which meant he still had some power in F1 it wouldn't surprise me, I can't see him making a full exit from F1.
Ulfuls

Post by Ulfuls »

Debaser wrote:Vatanen can't lose anything??? Todt is almost certain to win, and Vatanen can do little without the presidency except be a critic of the FIA, whch everyone is anyway. And that is how I give this title to Max, he'se liminated Ron and Flav and looks to have got his mate Todt the FIA presidency to make sure the domination he and Bernie had over the sport remains. Also if Todt gave him a job which meant he still had some power in F1 it wouldn't surprise me, I can't see him making a full exit from F1.

Sorry, I meant not so much the election -- which Vatanen can certainly lose -- but more what Vatanen represents, ie a challenge to the hegemony of Max. Max will arrange to have himself kicked upstairs to the FIA Senate or something, I'm sure, but the aura of absolute control will start to dissipate.

Looking back on my earlier post, though, I see I may have been overoptimistic... Vatanen's power if he loses will be roughly zero...

But from an F1 point of view, I still think it was a strategic mistake on Max's part not try harder to strangle FOTA in the cradle (if he could have done it -- he obviously tried but was unsuccessful). They're still there, they're mostly united... and where are the budget cap and the two-tier formula now?
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Ulfuls wrote:Max certainly looks like the leader at this point, having survived an attempt at (character) assassination through the NOTW, with the scalps of Ron and Flav hanging from his belt, blatant whipping of the World Council into line, &c. On the other hand, he didn't really achieve an unqualified victory over FOTA, and they're still there, with all ten teams as members, somewhat fractious but essentially united. And one wonders if he overplayed his hand on the Ari Vatanen thing. Vatanen really can't lose at this point, whatever happens in the election -- he might manage to pull a victory out of the hat, in which case Max and everything he stands for will be dismantled at double time. And even if he loses, there will surely be lingering doubts about the fairness of the election, and Todt will be in a somewhat weakened position, presumably less able to counter a still-vital FOTA. So Max could still finish well down the table.

Not buying any of that. It's not Max and his cronies, it's an entire organization. Even if Vatanen had the will and power, the paper shredders would be working overtime now.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Nelson Piquet - he dislodged one of the most prominent personalities in the sport with the turn of a steering wheel.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Ross Prawn

Post by Ross Prawn »

shinji wrote:Nelson Piquet - he dislodged one of the most prominent personalities in the sport with the turn of a steering wheel.

Pawns (i.e. drivers) are not allowed to play in this game.
"Other than the car behind and the driver who might get a bit startled with the sudden explosion in front, it really isn't a major safety issue from that point of view,"
Ben Gilbert

Post by Ben Gilbert »

Ulfuls wrote:For provisional ROTY, my vote goes to Simon Gillett. Despite Bernie giving him concessions that are denied every other promoter, I think Gillett will still ultimately fail to pull the funding together for Donington -- and thank God for that. Gillett has demonstrated that he doesn't actually like motor racing -- he just sees the Tilkefied Donington as another property deal. Hopefully, when the race goes back to Silverstone for 2010, any chance he has of completing the financing will evaporate, and we can see a race on a circuit with some history as opposed to a 4.738 km agglomeration of corporate bullshite.

Little too far with your final line, if I may be so bold. You're right about Simon Gillet: He is nothing more than a corporate bathplug, liking nothing more than to turd on all fans' expectations and put himself into the spotlight as an 'innovator'. It seems he has done everything to annoy the motor racing community: He hired Tilke, who in a rare moment of unexpected sense (and against Gillet's orders I presume), has produced a good blueprint. A long straight followed by a tight hairpin, as well as an uphill, non-constant-radius corner, both challenging, as well as leaving the rest of the existing circuit intact. Plus his evironmental bullshite policy, which will never work as people will happily stay at home and watch the race in comfort, than spend two hours on a slow bus or seven hours on an uncomfortable, decrepit train to watch it in the stands because all cars will be turned away at the gate. He will have 30 penshioners, who got on the bus by mistake in the stands that were built for 67,000.

However, Donington Park is, was, and forever will be, a driver's circuit, if one ruled by a madman. For one, it has more history than Silverstone, as it dates back to the thirties and hosted two, full blown pre-war grands prix before RAF Silverstone was even commisioned, as well as being the site of Senna's greatest triumph. Silverstone has absolutely nothing anymore, as hinted by this year's 'farewell' race, which nearly broke the space-time continuum with its boredom.

However, as the full extent of Gillet's crimes will not be apparent until 2010, I don't think he can be nominated as ROTY.

But I do nominate Max Mosley as F1 champion, as he appears to be doing as much damage to the sport as he can in the little time he has left, assuming he even steps down at all.
Cynon wrote:Look further down the field, enjoy the view of the little guys and/or crap drivers in cars too good for them giving their all for a meager result.

Because that's what I thought this forum celebrates the most.
Jordan192

Post by Jordan192 »

Ben Gilbert wrote: He hired Tilke, who in a rare moment of unexpected sense (and against Gillet's orders I presume), has produced a good blueprint. A long straight followed by a tight hairpin, as well as an uphill, non-constant-radius corner, both challenging, as well as leaving the rest of the existing circuit intact.

Gillet does deserve if not credit, at least acknowledgement for that. When he got the lease, MN quoted him as saying something along the lines of "If I change anything between Redgate and McLeans, I'll get lynched", so Tilke's brief will have been quite strict about leaving those areas alone.
I coined the term "Lewisteria". The irony is that I actually quite like Lewis Hamilton.
Ben Gilbert

Post by Ben Gilbert »

Jordan192 wrote:
Ben Gilbert wrote: He hired Tilke, who in a rare moment of unexpected sense (and against Gillet's orders I presume), has produced a good blueprint. A long straight followed by a tight hairpin, as well as an uphill, non-constant-radius corner, both challenging, as well as leaving the rest of the existing circuit intact.

Gillet does deserve if not credit, at least acknowledgement for that. When he got the lease, MN quoted him as saying something along the lines of "If I change anything between Redgate and McLeans, I'll get lynched", so Tilke's brief will have been quite strict about leaving those areas alone.

Didn't know that :). Admittedly, he does deserve acknowledgement for realising what he had leased.

Well, for that brief moment of conscious thought at least, the rest of his actions seem to indicate that he wants the public to hate him.
Cynon wrote:Look further down the field, enjoy the view of the little guys and/or crap drivers in cars too good for them giving their all for a meager result.

Because that's what I thought this forum celebrates the most.
Ross Prawn

Post by Ross Prawn »

Although Gillett is a worthy ROTY contender, I don't think he can win. If he crashes and burns, its just going to make Bernie look more of a plonker.