Complete list of Driver Unrejectifications

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
James1978

Re: Complete list of Driver Unrejectifications

Post by James1978 »

I think current Mercedes and current Lotus should be different entities from the versions which originated in the 50s. Same with the 50s Alfa Romeo and the 70s/80s version. (And both versions of Renault too for that matter).

So Mercedes would be Malaysia 2010 and Lotus would be Bahrain 2012 I believe.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

James1978 wrote:I think current Mercedes and current Lotus should be different entities from the versions which originated in the 50s. Same with the 50s Alfa Romeo and the 70s/80s version. (And both versions of Renault too for that matter).

So Mercedes would be Malaysia 2010 and Lotus would be Bahrain 2012 I believe.

It is debatable. IIRC '80s Renault and Enstone Renault are considered the same team by the FIA. The same goes for '50s Mercedes and Brackley Mercedes and I think it's the same for Alfa Romeo too. There's also Honda which in its two incarnations is considered the same constructor. And then there's Lola, which had different incarnations in partnership with various teams (Yeoman Credit Racing, BMW, Embassy Racing, Haas-Lola, Larrousse, Scuderia Italia and of course its own Mastercard Lola). Although I think you're right about Lotus. Another example (which I admittedly didn't address) is BMW Sauber as I think the FIA consider them a seperate entity to the team that Peter set up. I will add Enstone Lotus and BMW to the list as their stats are listed seperately and it's probably best that the list reflects this. Worst comes to worst we can ask Enoch if it's not a waste of his time. :)
#FreeGonzo
Bobby Doorknobs

List updated to include Daniil Kvyat's performance today. Once again, Russia has no reject drivers, a distinction it shares (among countries that have had F1 drivers) with Chile, Poland and Thailand. Kvyat is the 36th driver to unrejectify himself in Monaco, which has seen more unrejectifications than any other circuit.
#FreeGonzo
Bobby Doorknobs

List updated to include Max Verstappen, the third Dutchman to unrejectify himself after his father Jos and the great Carel Godin de Beaufort before him. He is also the second driver to unrejectify himself driving for Toro Rosso, the first being Sebastian Vettel way back in China 2007. In addition, he is the second driver to unrejectify himself on the Hungaroring, the first being his own father 21 years ago in 1994.
#FreeGonzo
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Is Verstappen the first ever teenage unrejectification?
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Bobby Doorknobs

FullMetalJack wrote:Is Verstappen the first ever teenage unrejectification?

As a matter of fact, he is. The previous youngest was Vettel, who was 20 years and 3 months old when he unrejectified himself.
#FreeGonzo
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Simtek wrote:

As a matter of fact, he is. The previous youngest was Vettel, who was 20 years and 3 months old when he unrejectified himself.

By my calculations Vettel wasnt the youngest driver unrejectification who unrejectified himself on the 7th October 2007 96 days after his 20th Birthday. Jenson Button unrejectified himself of the 23 April 2000 95 days after his 20th Birthday
Bobby Doorknobs

peteroli34 wrote:
Simtek wrote:

By my calculations Vettel wasnt the youngest driver unrejectification who unrejectified himself on the 7th October 2007 96 days after his 20th Birthday. Jenson Button unrejectified himself of the 23 April 2000 95 days after his 20th Birthday

Damn. I thought Button's birthday was earlier in January than it actually is. Still, that's an insanely small difference! :shock:
#FreeGonzo
Bobby Doorknobs

With the news of Raikkonen's time penalty Felipe Nasr has been promoted to 6th place. This, coupled with his excellent 5th place in Melbourne, unrejectifies the Brazilian.
#FreeGonzo
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Simtek wrote:With the news of Raikkonen's time penalty Felipe Nasr has been promoted to 6th place. This, coupled with his excellent 5th place in Melbourne, unrejectifies the Brazilian.

does it still count though if he only got the 6th spot after someone had a time penalty?
Bobby Doorknobs

WeirdKerr wrote:
Simtek wrote:With the news of Raikkonen's time penalty Felipe Nasr has been promoted to 6th place. This, coupled with his excellent 5th place in Melbourne, unrejectifies the Brazilian.

does it still count though if he only got the 6th spot after someone had a time penalty?

A 6th place is a 6th place, I suppose. I didn't count Ricciardo's Australia 2014 podium because he got disqualified. Basically, it's simpler not to delve too deeply into the context of people's results :P
#FreeGonzo
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Simtek wrote:
WeirdKerr wrote:

A 6th place is a 6th place, I suppose. I didn't count Ricciardo's Australia 2014 podium because he got disqualified. Basically, it's simpler not to delve too deeply into the context of people's results :P

Agreed, it becomes too subjective if you go by anything other than official results.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

True, it would rejectify and possibly unrejectify several drivers. We'd be opening a can on worms.

For example, I imagine the old site would have had a Ricardo Zonta profile if we did take the context of these points finishes into consideration.
Bobby Doorknobs

Carlos Sainz is the first driver to unrejectify himself at Interlagos since Barrichello in 1994. He is also the third to do it in a Toro Rosso and the sixth Spaniard, joining Paco Godia, Alfonso de Portago, Pedro de la Rosa, Fernando Alonso and Marc Gené as someone we can't profile on this site.
#FreeGonzo
Bobby Doorknobs

Esteban Ocon is the fourth driver ever to unrejectify himself in Montreal, the fourth to do so in a Force India and ran fourth at one point... he finished sixth.
#FreeGonzo
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

With Stroll finishing third, I guess that means he's not a reject anymore?
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Bobby Doorknobs

This Could Be You wrote:With Stroll finishing third, I guess that means he's not a reject anymore?

That is correct. He's the first driver to do so with a podium finish since Magnussen in Australia 2014 (and Ricciardo in that same race until he was disqualified). It's also the first time there have been unrejectifications in back-to-back races since Bahrain and Spain in 2012 (Grosjean and Maldonado respectively).

Allen Berg remains the last Canadian F1 reject.
#FreeGonzo
rdmozero

Post by rdmozero »

Jolyon Palmer is officially Unrejectificationed
Bobby Doorknobs

rdmozero wrote:Jolyon Palmer is officially Unrejectificationed

He isn't.

All a former Formula One driver needs to do to escape eligibility for this site is to have been successful in F1. Specifically, they must have scored ...
  • a 4th, 3rd, 2nd or 1st place, or
  • a 5th place, plus any other top-6 result, or
  • three or more 6th places

Palmer only has one 6th place. His journey has just begun.

Oh, welcome, by the way. :)
#FreeGonzo
Aguvazk

Post by Aguvazk »

I was thinking... in this time of almost no dnf and 3 teams almost locked up all 6 places... maybe for a unrejectification could count 4 o 5 7th places, maybe 6.
I'm not a serious person
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Aguvazk wrote:I was thinking... in this time of almost no dnf and 3 teams almost locked up all 6 places... maybe for a unrejectification could count 4 o 5 7th places, maybe 6.

This has been discussed quite often, and every time we eventually agreed on keeping the old format used by F1 Rejects.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

This wrote:
Aguvazk wrote:I was thinking... in this time of almost no dnf and 3 teams almost locked up all 6 places... maybe for a unrejectification could count 4 o 5 7th places, maybe 6.

This has been discussed quite often, and every time we eventually agreed on keeping the old format used by F1 Rejects.

Has anybody made a list of how often unrejectifications have happened, and whether there has been a change in recent years?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

To be honest, I can't think of many drivers with reject status from recent years that have done much to truly deserve an exemption from profile eligibility. The big talents and even some of the more "middling" drivers have had a tendency to rise above their mechanical disadvantage and score top six results, as the likes of Sainz, Verstappen and Ocon have demonstrated, and even drivers like di Resta, Nasr and Petrov have been able to finish within the top six and even the top four enough times to escape reject status.

Even going back to a time when only half the field could be expected to finish you have Gabriele Tarquini putting an AGS on the points table and threatening lap records in a Fondmetal, but on the flipside not getting paid attention by the big teams. That's a textbook reject story.

It's a very strange, even absurd, situation anyway, because in reality you can't objectively quantify "rejectdom". It's just an easy excuse to single out without too much debate which drivers we can and can't profile.
#FreeGonzo
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Looking back at the list of unrejectifications, even in this period of 'top three domination', there are still quite a reasonable amount of unrejectifications like Sainz, Ocon, Stroll and so on. I mean, even Felipe Nasr managed to solidly unrejectify himself.

The real oddity in my mind is 1998 and 1999. Like…those two years were insane. You had Williams in their Winfield blunder years yet still competent enough to reach the points. You had Stewart winning a goddamn race with Prost GP nabbing a podium. Benetton were poking their head fairly well above the water. Jordans were right up there battling for the championship. Compared to the Ferrari-Red Bull-Mercedes domination of the past few years, those years were insane, and yet no unrejectifications.

And, just to clarify on team unrejectifications, reject teams are those that score six points or less under the ol-timey six-position points system, is that correct?
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

WaffleCat wrote:Looking back at the list of unrejectifications, even in this period of 'top three domination', there are still quite a reasonable amount of unrejectifications like Sainz, Ocon, Stroll and so on. I mean, even Felipe Nasr managed to solidly unrejectify himself.

The real oddity in my mind is 1998 and 1999. Like…those two years were insane. You had Williams in their Winfield blunder years yet still competent enough to reach the points. You had Stewart winning a goddamn race with Prost GP nabbing a podium. Benetton were poking their head fairly well above the water. Jordans were right up there battling for the championship. Compared to the Ferrari-Red Bull-Mercedes domination of the past few years, those years were insane, and yet no unrejectifications.

And, just to clarify on team unrejectifications, reject teams are those that score six points or less under the ol-timey six-position points system, is that correct?
The amount of positions to get that points. Because Osella scored 5 points in reality, but also a 5th that didn't count for the championship. It's because of the Osella case that it's decided on finishing positions and not points.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Bobby Doorknobs

Pierre Gasly joins the list with his first ever points finish, a rare feat these days which was last achieved by Kevin Magnussen on his Grand Prix debut back in 2014. Before the sack-tapping Dane you have to go all the way back to Lewis Hamilton's Grand Prix debut in 2007 before you find another example. Before him it was Robert Kubica in the 2006 Italian Grand Prix, a situation that was a bit closer to Gasly's in that it wasn't the driver's Grand Prix debut.

Gasly is also the first to achieve unrejectification in a Honda-engined car since Sato in the 2003 Japanese Grand Prix.
#FreeGonzo
Aguvazk

Post by Aguvazk »

Today also Is the unrejectification of Haas. I expect this and the Gasly unrejectification (i predicted this in the annual prediction) but no so early in the season. I will take a risk and say: Hartley also will be unrejectificated this season...
I'm not a serious person
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Aguvazk wrote:Today also Is the unrejectification of Haas. I expect this and the Gasly unrejectification (i predicted this in the annual prediction) but no so early in the season. I will take a risk and say: Hartley also will be unrejectificated this season...

Haas are actually not yet unrejectified, as 6 points in the old system is the maximum a team can have while remaining rejects. Any top 6 finish will do the trick, though.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Aguvazk

Post by Aguvazk »

My bad...
I'm not a serious person
Aguvazk

Post by Aguvazk »

tommykl wrote:
Aguvazk wrote:Today also Is the unrejectification of Haas. I expect this and the Gasly unrejectification (i predicted this in the annual prediction) but no so early in the season. I will take a risk and say: Hartley also will be unrejectificated this season...

Haas are actually not yet unrejectified, as 6 points in the old system is the maximum a team can have while remaining rejects. Any top 6 finish will do the trick, though.

Yesterday was the day
I'm not a serious person
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Just for the record, Charles Leclerc's 5th place in Australia, mixed with his 6th place in Azerbaijan in 2018, means he has unrejectified himself!
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Just the four rookies who are rejects then.

Any of them going to achieve unrejectification this season? Unsure if Norris will in 2019.
Stareagle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stareagle »

What was the last team to die a reject?
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Stareagle wrote:What was the last team to die a reject?

Manor surely?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Aislabie wrote:
Stareagle wrote:What was the last team to die a reject?

Manor surely?

When I first read this, I misunderstood it as, "For which team did the last reject driver who died drive for?", but either way, it's Manor.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Turns out that we have six rejects on the grid.

Antonio Giovinazzi
Yuki Tsunoda
Nikita Mazepin
Mick Schumacher
Nicholas Latifi
George Russell

Of those, Giovinazzi has 2 points under the old system, and with Vettel's DSQ pending, Tsunoda has 1 point.

Unrejectifications since Charles Leclerc in Australia 2019:

- Alex Albon: 2019 Belgian GP
- Lando Norris: 2020 Austrian GP

With only one new full-time driver in 2020, I guess the lack of unrejectifications isn't so surprising. But still, there it is.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

And of those six, I expect only one to escape Reject Status in the near future - probably the first race of 2022. We all know who that is.

Mick and Yuki - depends on where they go in the future.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

dinizintheoven wrote:And of those six, I expect only one to escape Reject Status in the near future - probably the first race of 2022. We all know who that is.
After his 7th place, I agree that it's only a matter of time before Latifi wins for Merc next year :twisted:
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Rob Dylan wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:And of those six, I expect only one to escape Reject Status in the near future - probably the first race of 2022. We all know who that is.
After his 7th place, I agree that it's only a matter of time before Latifi wins for Merc next year :twisted:

It's only a matter of time before Tsunoda gets promoted to the senior Red Bull team, finishes 5th and/or 6th multiple times, then gets dumped after 18 months...
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

George Russell is unrejectified on all counts. Even if we half his points, he has three points under the old system. Unbelievable. :badoer: