Arise, Andrea Sassetti's Heir Apparent! Zoran Stefanovic

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Captain Hammer

Arise, Andrea Sassetti's Heir Apparent! Zoran Stefanovic

Post by Captain Hammer »

Remember Zoran Stefanovic? He tried to buy the 1997 Lolas. And he tried to join the grid for next year under the guise of Stefan Grand Prix. He was duly turned down, and attempted to force a do-over of the seletion process.

Well, he's back. I wouldn't normally do this, but the sheer comedy value of it means this story is deserving a thread of its on. Stefanovic has annouced that he's going ahead with his racing team and will be present in Bahrain - despite the fact that he doesn't have a 2010 entry. And so I submit for your consideration: Zoran Stefanovic is the heir apparent to Andrea Sassetti, owner and operator of the worst team in Formula One history.

And no, I'm not kidding.

Stefan Grand Prix wants 2010 slot

Stefan Grand Prix, the 2010 F1 entry run by Zoran Stefanovic, says it still hopes to be on the Formula 1 grid next year despite failing to be granted a place by the FIA.

Stefanovic, who complained to the EU about the FIA’s insistence that the new teams for 2010 use Cosworth engines, says his company are, “acting like they are already in for the 2010 championship.”

He added: “don’t forget, people tried to convince the Wright brothers that they would never fly.”

Will Stefan Grand Prix get off the ground in 2010? It seems doubtful at this late stage, and their press release hasn’t got quite the air of professionalism you expect from an F1 team.

But no-one really expected Manor Motorsport to get a place for 2010, so who knows? If the rumours about Toyota pulling the plug on their F1 team are true, maybe the FIA will go looking for another new entry.

Press release

We are alive and ready

Talking with Mr. Zoran D. Stefanovic from Stefan Grand Prix, in light of new information about FIA 2010 Formula 1 World Championship, regarding some remarks from Mr. Ecclestone’s interview to BBC in which he points that “one or two team’s will not make it to Bahrain next year”.

Head of Stefan Grand Prix Mr. Zoran D. Stefanovic wanted to share his thoughts about this matter, because everybody from SGP strongly believe that what SGP has to offer to F1 can be very interesting from every angle.

Nobody from SGP including myself, will just try to convince anybody why should we have to be in F1 next year, but we would like everybody to know that we are not just ready, but we also did a lot of work in last couple of months. We will try to share our thoughts and apply to logics and common sense of everybody who want to know for example how did we raised money for next year already, in other words how did we found title sponsorship without even being accepted from FIA for the 2010 Championship.

When you have all the pieces of the puzzle right: when you have one of the biggest shows on the face of the earth – the F1 brand – which is in my opinion organized almost perfectly, and when you come from an extremely interesting part of the world like Central – Eastern Europe, you have something fresh, something new, something worth looking at. And that is the essence of our effort. The idea of F1 car from Serbia makes everybody start thinking very fast. You must agree that what we have is something never seen before, something far more interesting than you usually expect, something very unique.

Therefore, almost over-night, you find yourself in the spotlight of the right eyes. Soon enough sponsors will recognize your position and they will follow you, like they did. We are in an area populated with over 400 million people, including Russia that is a brotherly nation with Serbia, so we have 800 millions eyes focused on something that was unimaginable for this area just a year ago.

This is the main reason why we have raised funds, why we have continued work on our car, and why we have our mind set to work as we are looking to be in Bahrain next year, because we think we will have two cars there.

Don’t forget, people tried to convince the Wright brothers that they would never fly, said Mr. Stefanovic.

What F1 must understand is that they will have the unique new team and will conquer, geographically, a very important part of the world. But if you ask who will really profiting, proper answer is – the fans, Mr. Stefanovic said.

He also continue, ‘The everyday normal, smart man from all Central – Eastern Europe, from Russia, is just waiting for a strong emotional connection with something, and we think that our F1 project is exactly what they have been looking and waiting for. We want to develop SGP into a strong recognizable F1 brand and we are determined to do so. Don’t forget, we have 400 million reasons to do it.

In the end, Mr. Stefanovic says that they will keep pushing, that SGP will make their car, and that they are acting like they are already in for the 2010 championship, and he finishes with words:

"Success is very predictable. You need to know what is the nature of your business, and you need to sell your product. We have unique product, which we already sold, so it is predictable that we expect to be in F1."

I am so going to write a guest article for Jamie and Enoch on this joker. Who knows, maybe they'll publish it this time ...
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
noisebox

Re: Arise, Andrea Sassetti's Heir Apparent!

Post by noisebox »

That reminds me of the Phoenix entry in 2002 which turned up at the first race despite having no entry, Ithink it has been discussed somewhere on here before.
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

noisebox wrote:That reminds me of the Phoenix entry in 2002 which turned up at the first race despite having no entry, Ithink it has been discussed somewhere on here before.

Phoenix was a ploy by Tom Walkinshaw to absorb the remains of Prost into Arrows, thus giving the team more finance. He was basically cannibalising one team to save his own. This is something else entirely.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

So now we know why Stefan Grand Prix was turned down. Antics, that's why. And I thought they were somewhat serious.
What kind of engines do they have when it's not Cosworth as the lawsuit would have us believe?

Doesn't Serbia share a border with Hungary?
I'm afraid, a start in a Stefan GP car probably won't take HWNSNBM's profile off of the site.
People have tried to achieve this, one to be exact, Luca Badoer, but it didn't work.

Egligible drivers need their profiles put onto the site so they can make an attempt at taking it off, such as Luca did. That was spectacular!
The one with the best chances for this probably would be Sebastien Bourdais at the time. I would have said Liuzzi, but he's already got a drive, and my was he close to it in Monza.

Btw what is Giorgio Pantano doing? Is he still in negotiations with Campos?
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

Captain Hammer wrote:
noisebox wrote:That reminds me of the Phoenix entry in 2002 which turned up at the first race despite having no entry, Ithink it has been discussed somewhere on here before.

Phoenix was a ploy by Tom Walkinshaw to absorb the remains of Prost into Arrows, thus giving the team more finance. He was basically cannibalising one team to save his own. This is something else entirely.

I'm referring to the fact that they turned up at the first race with no entry, which is exactly what this lot say they are going to do.
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

That is just completely and utterly bizarre. Mr Stefanovic seems like one highly deluded individual; and this is undoubtedly one of the most reject-worthy things I've seen related to F1 in a long time.
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

noisebox wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:

I'm referring to the fact that they turned up at the first race with no entry, which is exactly what this lot say they are going to do.

Highly likely, but I'm holding out for a song and a dance and an attempt to browbeat his way onto the grid. We need something to entertain us after all the off-track strife this season ...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

2010 becomes a better prospect for complete and utter rejectfulness as the days go by!
But still, what a dolt. Its like trying to get into a football match without a ticket.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Valrys

Post by Valrys »

I reckon they should let them race if they actually turn up, if only to make everyone else look better.
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Valrys wrote:I reckon they should let them race if they actually turn up, if only to make everyone else look better.

Well, they can't get any worse then the 97' Lolas. Which he tried to buy!I smell a reject team.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
Waris

Post by Waris »

BATHPLUG YEAH ZORAN STEFANOVIC

Yes, I wrote "bathplug" intentionally. I know this is a family-friendly forum. :lol:
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

The way he talks about Serbia reminds me of Alex Shnaider. He also made Midland a Russian team in the hope of getting some heavy Russian sponsorship. But Russia isn't a big fan of F1, so that didn't happen and the team failed. I doubt he'll get support from Serbia or Russia.
His comparison with the Wright brothers is also idiotic :x
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Henrique wrote:His comparison with the Wright brothers is also idiotic :x

Actually, I think it's entirely - if rather unwittingly - appropriate. Because does anyone except Stefanovic expect his team to go faster than Wilbur and Orville? Or for his team to last longer than their first flight?
dragonsteincole

Post by dragonsteincole »

For the love of Jeebus I hope something amazing comes of this. Even a shot of their 'car' or anything to prove they would actually be able to show up at races, if not compete, and i'd be gleeful. :D
Pacifics only fan

Post by Pacifics only fan »

After reading that press conference, the term "LOLWUT?" comes to mind... Does this guy ACTUALLY expect us to believe that he's assembled a team, got facilities, designed a car, got sponsorship and is in some sort of talks about entering next year, ALL IN COMPLETE SECRECY, AND WITHOUT A SINGLE LEAK OR EVEN RUMOUR?! Seriously, the rumour mill is all but unavoidable, (Fernando Alonso could get photographed brushing his teeth, and the press would be all over a possible story about a new personal sponsor) Yet somehow he missed the whole lot in getting this done.. whatever..

tristan1117 wrote:Well, they can't get any worse then the 97' Lolas. Which he tried to buy!

Who knows, maybe he DID buy the Lolas, and is combining them with Super Aguri's last car to create something called the "Super Lol"
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Pacifics only fan wrote:After reading that press conference, the term "LOLWUT?" comes to mind... Does this guy ACTUALLY expect us to believe that he's assembled a team, got facilities, designed a car, got sponsorship and is in some sort of talks about entering next year, ALL IN COMPLETE SECRECY, AND WITHOUT A SINGLE LEAK OR EVEN RUMOUR?!

Worse, he's ignoring the fact that his behaviour hardly endears him to the FIA. After all,he filed a complaint with the EC over engine choices, accused the FIA of discriminating against new constructors and basically tried for force his way onto the grid at the expense of another, more legitimate racing outfit.
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

How can anyone doubt this team? It even has a website! :lol:
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Good old Times New Roman ...
SuperAguri
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SuperAguri »

Don't forget the registered trademark symbol too...

Eventime I hear the team name I keep thinking that it's Swedens second most succesful race driver and holder with Nick Hiedfeld of most podiums without a win, Stefan Johansson who is running the team.
<@Ataxia> these people are making a mess of their crepe suzettes
Waris

Post by Waris »

midgrid wrote:How can anyone doubt this team? It even has a website! :lol:

Maybe somebody could send an e-mail to that address and inquire about... something?
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Valrys

Post by Valrys »

Waris wrote:

Maybe somebody could send an e-mail to that address and inquire about... something?

I am so tempted to email them about a job. Just for the lulz.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Waris wrote:

I sent this;
I am hugely interested in the non-racing aspect of Formula 1 (I am in the racing side too, but the politics is nearly more interesting these days). Anyway, I greatly respect the attempts being made to get this team off the ground, and would like to offer my encouragement to Zoran Stefanovic and anyone who is involved in Stefan F1, and if the team has any use for a 15 year old Irish male, then I'm at your service. And if you have any information about the team I'd be very intrigued to find out about it.

Yours,

EK

I'll let you guys know if anything happens.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

You are winrar, Shinji, good one :D
Valrys

Post by Valrys »

Asking someone from eastern Europe if they have any use for a 15 year old boy.......

......not a smart move :lol:

But yes, be nice to see if you get a reply shinji!
Valrys

Post by Valrys »

Sorry for double post, but does anyone actually know what AMCO does, or what Stefanovic looks like?

The only things about the man himself I can find on the internet are his interviews with motorsport publications, and that AMCO possibly manufactures aircraft, amongst other things.

Surely in this modern age, such an apparantly large company (must be if they can afford to even think about going F1 racing) would have a detailed website?
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Valrys wrote:Asking someone from eastern Europe if they have any use for a 15 year old boy.......

......not a smart move :lol:

But yes, be nice to see if you get a reply shinji!

We await with baited breath...

The Stefan F1 is almost as good as Pacific GP's website.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Alianora La Canta

Post by Alianora La Canta »

I can tell you this team needs a web developer-cum-marketer - no appreciation of "above-the-fold" (i.e. put the important stuff on the first screen), spacing (i.e. don't take 1.5 screens to give us five lines of text) or indeed the fact that construction screens were deemed bad practise in website development at least four years ago.
Ulfuls

Post by Ulfuls »

Valrys wrote:Sorry for double post, but does anyone actually know what AMCO does, or what Stefanovic looks like?

The only things about the man himself I can find on the internet are his interviews with motorsport publications, and that AMCO possibly manufactures aircraft, amongst other things.

Surely in this modern age, such an apparantly large company (must be if they can afford to even think about going F1 racing) would have a detailed website?

Here he is! In his wind tunnel no less!

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_ ... t_id=38607

I would include the photo, but don't know how...
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

That image is a tough nut to crack. I went into the source code and I found it though.

He's the one on the right.
Fitch

Post by Fitch »

Wow...I was expecting someone younger......
Rentragmuab Tlosz!!!!!
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

They should let the Stefan Grand Prix team on the grid just to make everyone else feel better. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Cynon wrote:They should let the Stefan Grand Prix team on the grid just to make everyone else feel better. :lol: :lol: :lol:

They should allow them, F1Rejects-Life (depending on whether or not we get a Life), and MyF1Dream all to compete, just so we can have pre-qualifying again.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

thehemogoblin wrote:
Cynon wrote:They should let the Stefan Grand Prix team on the grid just to make everyone else feel better. :lol: :lol: :lol:

They should allow them, F1Rejects-Life (depending on whether or not we get a Life), and MyF1Dream all to compete, just so we can have pre-qualifying again.

Yeah, I do not understand this need for pre-approved entries, what is wrong with letting people just turn up and see if they can (pre-)qualify?
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

kostas22 wrote:Yeah, I do not understand this need for pre-approved entries, what is wrong with letting people just turn up and see if they can (pre-)qualify?

Because then you'd get every man and his dog showing up with half-arsed efforts that ony last for a race or two before fading into obscurity. The championship would stop being about who scored the most points and start becoming a case of whoever actually drived the most.

Besides, in this day and age, pre-qualifying would never work. In its heyday, the cost of entering a new team was $500,000; now, it costs millions. With so much sponor involvement, no-one is going to want to invest in a team if there's a chance they won't make it to the grid.
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Captain Hammer wrote:Besides, in this day and age, pre-qualifying would never work. In its heyday, the cost of entering a new team was $500,000; now, it costs millions. With so much sponor involvement, no-one is going to want to invest in a team if there's a chance they won't make it to the grid.

Party-pooper! :lol:

When I was at school in grade 7 (ie when I was 12), we were asked to suggest debating topics in English. One guy always piped up with "professionalism is the death of sport" and the rest of us all laughed because we didn't understand what on earth he meant. I do now, though, and I say: "professionalism is the death of F1 as a sport".

Allow Stefan F1 in and give us some entertainment! :lol:
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

eytl wrote:Allow Stefan F1 in and give us some entertainment! :lol:

The guy is practically the Serbian equivalent of Paul Stoddart. You just know he's going to go to court to try and get his cars onto the grid if he gets turned away.
Valrys

Post by Valrys »

Captain Hammer wrote:Besides, in this day and age, pre-qualifying would never work. In its heyday, the cost of entering a new team was $500,000; now, it costs millions. With so much sponor involvement, no-one is going to want to invest in a team if there's a chance they won't make it to the grid.
[/quote]

Surely thats up to the individual teams though? If someone wants to pay millions to not race, let them. The FIA should pre-approve 10 or 11 entries (and make that a separate qualifying session), and allow 1 car entries, then let anyone who fancies their chances to show up with a legal car, driver, and some mechanics and have a separate qualifying session for grid spots 21/23-26/28. That way, you'll still have 22 cars on the grid if no-one feels like pissing money away, but at other races, you could have up to maybe 10 local/dirty rich drivers getting a shot at making the grid.

Of course, for that to work, you'd need to allow customer cars......
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

Just institute the 107% rule again, enforce it vigorously, and allow the first 26 or anyone that can pass the 107%, whichever is less, compete. Simple and effective.
Valrys

Post by Valrys »

LionZoo wrote:Just institute the 107% rule again, enforce it vigorously, and allow the first 26 or anyone that can pass the 107%, whichever is less, compete. Simple and effective.

But still doesn't deal with the problem that no-one is going to pay even £10 million a year if there's a good chance they'll never make the grid.

I reckon anybody who can get under 107% should be allowed to start, but you might end up with 40 cars qualifying, and that'd just be absolute chaos (although fun to watch)
Pacifics only fan

Post by Pacifics only fan »

Valrys wrote:But still doesn't deal with the problem that no-one is going to pay even £10 million a year if there's a good chance they'll never make the grid.

I really don't see the problem there, something like the 10 million price tag a year means only people who are SERIOUS will enter, it stops F1 becoming a joke. F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport, not some sort of hobby series.