1997 F1RGP2C Season - Duel in the Desert RACE Up

In honour of our fallen comrade. Archive of all previous canon series across all disciplines.
Salamander

Re: 1997 F1RGP2C Season - Duel in the Desert RACE Up

Post by Salamander »

eurobrun wrote:Yes, the reliability was terrible. But he failed to do anything much that matched the expectations of everyone, Davies was nowhere near winning 7 more races. He wasn't bad, he was just dissapointing itoo much. And besides I did say the list was a bit biased :lol:

Really? (Also I said he could've won 7, not 7 more)

Australia - leading when his car broke down
Argentina - won
San Marino - leading when he went off, but still finished 2nd
Hungary - leading when his car broke down
Belgium - pretty sure he was hauling Spokes in when his car broke down
Italy - leading when his car broke down
Japan - running 3rd when he suffered electrical problems, spun off, and still rallied back to 3rd. Seems like a race winning performance to me.

I'm not 100% sure on Belgium, but even without that, and with the 2nd place in San Marino, plus his other results, would've been enough to overhaul Moreno. McLaren reliability cost James Davies the championship. It's a lot like Alesi's 1995, to be honest...
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Niko Nurminen wrote:No voi saatanan saatana!
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Clint Mort wrote:Erm....did we win?WE DID?!HOLY FLY IN A COWSWATTER!!Get out the Budwisers,we're gonna PARTY!!!!
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

I had a reply to that typed out until my internet decided to ragequit.

Yes, you do have a point with some of those races but Moreno also had a fair bit of bad luck at times. I'm fairly sure that if luck was taken out of the equasion all together then Davies would end up third behind Moreno and Douglas. Which is definitely worse than his ego would lead everyone to believe. And his attitude was part of the reason for my decision in the first place (It's also what makes him such a funny character to read but that's beside the point).

Now that I think of it pretty much anyone within the whole team could make a realistic claim for the award :lol:
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

My ROTY nominations:

3. Arrows' reliability - Cost them too many hopes despite high promises at the beginning. They got beaten by DAMS in the standings, in the end.
2. Gauthier drivers - Let's see... Incompetent backmarkers (Tucker, Meerwick), dangerous mobile chicane (McFry), pure muppet (Anderson), and desperate rookies (anyone else other than those four) makes Gauthier the team with most driver changes in a open-wheel series ever. Good riddance there will be a driver limits next year.
1. John Zimmer - Slipped to 11th in standings despite insisting being a championship challenger this year and high promises at the beginning. Benetton's decline is starting.

:)
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Grovey

Post by Grovey »

I assume Geoff Grove got the Minardi drive due to beating his teammate
The amount of WHINCUPWINSLOL is too damn high
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

RejectSport wrote:Jung Resigns as F1RGP2C President, Hands Control to Padraig O'Connell

In a developing story, Tristan Jung, the president of the F1RGP2C, has resigned after four years in control. In a public address, Jung told reporters that he was resigning in order to resolve any potential rifts in the time-space continuum and so that he could focus on his new job at the MasterCard Lola team in the F1RICS. Jung's handpicked successor, yet to be ratified by the FIA, is ex-driver and race-winner Padraig O'Connell, who drove at Ferrari in 1994 and 1995.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Alright, I haven't had the time or patience to write up a 1997 season review yet. That will be coming shortly. In the meantime, I will dish out some awards now.

Driver of the Year: Damon Cannon
Team of the Year: Williams
Most Improved Driver: Pablo da Silva
Biggest Surprise: Tie between Whitechapel's DITD win, Masta Valsattis' win, Clivio Durand's win and DAMS' first podium

Worst Driver of the Year: Robert Anderson
Worst Team of the Year: Arrows
Biggest Disappointment: Jorg Scrattenheim

Code: Select all

1997 Complete Driver Rankings
Driver (# of Places Gained/Lost from 1996)
1. Damon Cannon (+3)
2. Daniel Moreno (+15)
3. Tom Douglas  (+10)
4. Pablo da Silva (+11)
5. Pieter Kickert (+1)
6. Andrew Spokes (-4)
7. Masta Valsattis (+7)
8. Kazuhiko Takagi (+1)
9. James Davies
10. Niko Nurminen (+8)
11. Rory McAllister (-1)
12. Bernhard Pech
13. James Allen
14. Poppy Whitechapel
15. Leonhard von Gottorp (-12)
16. Ben Fleet (+6)
17. John Zimmer (-9)
18. Miko Fakkinen (+1)
19. Gio van Dycke (-12)
20. Jan van der Maeyede
21. Stephano Baroncelli
22. Reiko Megumi
23. Anton Kaliniczenko (-2)
24. Martin McFry (+3)
24. Jorg Scrattenheim (-12)
25. Massimiliano Patrese
27a. Samael Meerwick
27b. Lawrence Tucker
NR Clivio Durand
NR Alejandrina Rodriguez
NR Plinio Vida
NR Tracey Wyndham
NR Johan Gustafsson
NR Yuuri Jougaseki
28. Robert Anderson (-infinity)

Some context here. I only counted drivers who competed in a good amount of races. I made an exception for Meerwick and Tucker. While Moreno gained the most places, that was mainly because I ranked him so lowly last year. Jorg Scrattenheim lost the most places, and I think that is thoroughly deserved.

Code: Select all

1997 Complete Team Rankings
Team (# of Places Gained/Lost from 1996)
1. Williams (NC)
2. Ferrari (+5)
3. Jordan (NC)
4. Sauber (+2)
5. DAMS (+3)
6. Benetton (-4)
7. Ligier (+3)
8. McLaren (-4)
9. Minardi (-4)
10. Lola
11. Volga (NC)
12. Stewart
13. Gauthier (-1)
14. Arrows (-5)

McLaren loses a bunch of places for their neverending transmission problems. Benetton loses places for their weak first half and for building a mediocre car compared to last year. Ferrari gets places for leaving Douglas in a good position to win, except he couldn't convert on a couple occasions.
Last edited by tristan1117 on 30 Jan 2013, 04:26, edited 1 time in total.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
RonDenisDeletraz

I strongly disagree with you rating Strattenheim the worst driver, he was quite comprehensively faster than his teammate pretty much all year. I would give him about 20th. Also, there are several other drivers I think are in the wrong place but the only real bad thing Srattenheim did was make a few mistakes.

No idea what Pech, Van Gottrop or Zimmer are doing that high
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

[quote="eurobrun"]I strongly disagree with you rating Strattenheim the worst driver, he was quite comprehensively faster than his teammate pretty much all year. I would give him about 20th. Also, there are several other drivers I think are in the wrong place but the only real bad thing Srattenheim did was make a few mistakes.

No idea what Pech, Van Gottrop or Zimmer are doing that high

My pseudo-mathematical reasoning for putting Scrattenheim so low:

40% - Actual race performance. Outside of the first six races, he was never in real contention for points. He also had a bunch of accidents in the second half that were buried in the race reports.
35% - Frustration with Arrows.
25% - Disappointment with 1 point over two seasons, and a lack of anything substantial since his fluke win in Japan.

I will admit that he was better than Patrese, Meerwick and Tucker, so he gets bumped up to 24th.

As for Zimmer, he wasn't that terrible. The Benetton let him and Spokesy down on multiple occasions (Zimmer in Japan, for example) and he was about equal with his teammate for half of the season. von Gottorp was not very good, but he stayed in front of everyone else solely due to his point total. And Pech got robbed of good points finishes on a few occasions, plus he picked up a podium.
RonDenisDeletraz

What exactly do you mean by frustration with Arrows. And as I said he was easily faster than his teammate.

Now that I think you do have a point with Zimmer but Pech was never anywhere near da Silva (Who has never looked that good before 1997) so that makes me think that part of the Brazillian's success was due to a car that was better than reality

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

I think Davies should be a bit higher than 9th, he would've been a title contender but for all the McLaren's reliability problems, but even then he beat McAllister fairly easily. He was definately more impressive than Takagi at the very least, who was never a serious title contender.

Also I'm really surprised that Gauthier is not last in the team's ranking - I don't really see what Arrows did wrong, besides not having somebody like Damon Hill in one of the cars.
Everything's great.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

You can blame me for Anderson's antics here, it all caused by my bad acting/RPing :lol:

Christophe Vans and Ralf Alden (same guy from LGPS) is open for offers, anyways. :ugeek:
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Gauthier will offer Vans reserve driver status if he cannot find a drive anywhere, with a get-out clause if he is offered a drive mid-season. Same for Alden.
Everything's great.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:Gauthier will offer Vans reserve driver status if he cannot find a drive anywhere, with a get-out clause if he is offered a drive mid-season. Same for Alden.

Christophe Vans wrote:Sorry. Ferrari already signed me as their test driver.

Ralf Alden wrote:Not with you, I want to deal with another team instead.

Might try to convince Klon to have a test-driver deal...
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Guillaume Gauthier wrote:Very well, see if I ever throw you a bone again! Mark my words; you won't get far with that attitude!

Might try to convince Klon to have a test-driver deal...

Weren't you trying to get Megumi as a test driver at Jordan before though?
Everything's great.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Guillaume Gauthier wrote:Very well, see if I ever throw you a bone again! Mark my words; you won't get far with that attitude!

Ralf Alden wrote:Don't turn me into an egomaniac. I don't want to be associated with egomaniacs. The motorsport fandom knows your attitude :roll:.

OOC: BCS, it is what I mean, yes. :)
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

FMecha wrote:

Ralf Alden wrote:Don't turn me into an egomaniac. I don't want to be associated with egomaniacs. The motorsport fandom knows your attitude :roll:.

OOC: BCS, it is what I mean, yes. :)

Frederic-Maxime Voeckler supports any name change of Gauthier that drops the Tyrrell moniker. HOWZAT FOR TEAM LOYALTY??
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Guillaume Gauthier wrote:Mon dieu. You sound like Anderson. Forget I ever spoke to you.

Stramala [kostas22] wrote:Frederic-Maxime Voeckler supports any name change of Gauthier that drops the Tyrrell moniker. HOWZAT FOR TEAM LOYALTY??
Guillaume Gauthier wrote:Thank you Frederic. If you can actually help make zat happen, then, let us say I'll owe you one.
Everything's great.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Guillaume Gauthier wrote:Mon dieu. You sound like Anderson. Forget I ever spoke to you.

Ralf Alden wrote:Just leave me alone now. You are trolling me. Maybe I shall look for, ehem, Sauber or Arrows... :)

Stramala [kostas22] wrote:Frederic-Maxime Voeckler supports any name change of Gauthier that drops the Tyrrell moniker. HOWZAT FOR TEAM LOYALTY??
Guillaume Gauthier wrote:Thank you Frederic. If you can actually help make zat happen, then, let us say I'll owe you one.

Ken Tyrrell is reportedly trying to sue Gauthier over name rights issues. :twisted:
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

FMecha wrote:Ken Tyrrell is reportedly trying to sue Gauthier over name rights issues. :twisted:

Guillaume Gauthier wrote:Like hell he is. I bought ze 'ole team from him. Nowhere did he say I had to keep calling it Tyrrell. It's only because Monsieur Asshat Stefano decided for no reason zat it should stay Tyrrell.
Everything's great.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Hmm, must be a miscommunication on that (sale of Tyrrell). Anyway:

Andreas Stefano wrote:Gauthier! The rules, if I recall, prohibits any change to constructor names after testing session are started. And shut it up Gauthier, or I will say the damned phrase: WE ARE BIGGER THAN YOU AND THE ENTIRE SPORT!! MUAHAHAHAHAHA!! :twisted:

Rumors, meanwhile, sprung out of Japan and Italy suggesting a future IBR-Dome partership in F1RGP2C. 8-)
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Padraig O'Connell wrote:For my first ruling as F1RGP2C president, I am officially authorizing the removal of "Tyrrell" from the Gauthier team name. While Mr. Stefano's citation of the rules does apply for 1997, it longer applies for 1998 as the entry list has been officially reset and testing has not begun. Mr. Gauthier is allowed to change his team's name to whatever he wants now, as Mr. Ken Tyrrell did not clarify the issue during the sale of the team.

And besides FMecha, why would Ferrari care about defending Ken Tyrrell or the name of a random backmarker team with a bunch of pay drivers?
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Andreas Stefano wrote:Gauthier! The rules, if I recall, prohibits any change to constructor names after testing session are started. And shut it up Gauthier, or I will say the damned phrase: WE ARE BIGGER THAN YOU AND THE ENTIRE SPORT!! MUAHAHAHAHAHA!! :twisted:

Guillaume Gauthier wrote:Mon dieu you are an asshat. I am not surprised your team threw away ze championship last year; how have you not noticed zat ze testing has not started yet!? Why do you even care what I call my team? I had no dealings with you and yet for no reason you decide to block the name change, and try to do it again this year!
Everything's great.
RonDenisDeletraz

Prince Walik wrote:Grow up and stop whining Stefano. And if you really think you and Ferrari are so important go ahead and set up a breakaway league, nobody will miss you. And take that delusional Megumi with you as she isn't going to be getting employed by Jordan anytime soon

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Tom Douglas wrote:Ah, thank HWNSNBM that I got that multi-year deal with Ferrari, complete with iron-clad status, under the old management which means I can say whatever the bathplug I want with no repercussions whatsoever. Steph baby, nobody gives a rat's arse what you think about the whole Gauthier deal. I mean, it's not as if it's gonna affect us in any way, except when we inevitably lap them on any given weekend.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Andreas Stefano wrote:Yes Douglas, you are still number one at Ferrari. Better I take some silence until the testing starts. :|
RonDenisDeletraz

As If there wasn't any more reason why Scrattenheim doesn't deserve a spot on the ROTY podium I just checked that he had a 14-nil win in the qualifying battle against Baroncelli, making it the third year he has comprehensively been faster than his teammate

So please don't put him on that list

tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

eurobrun wrote:As If there wasn't any more reason why Scrattenheim doesn't deserve a spot on the ROTY podium I just checked that he had a 14-nil win in the qualifying battle against Baroncelli, making it the third year he has comprehensively been faster than his teammate

Scrattenheim will probably not make the cut, thanks to a host of other terrible drivers and teams, but the Arrows team will certainly make an apperance.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

tristan1117 wrote:
eurobrun wrote:As If there wasn't any more reason why Scrattenheim doesn't deserve a spot on the ROTY podium I just checked that he had a 14-nil win in the qualifying battle against Baroncelli, making it the third year he has comprehensively been faster than his teammate

Scrattenheim will probably not make the cut, thanks to a host of other terrible drivers and teams, but the Arrows team will certainly make an apperance.

You can thank me for that, eurobrun. ;) :lol:
Everything's great.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

In an another controversy [metagaming] caused by a (deliberately) bad RP [/metagaming], Anderson and Rollock have admitted they have falsified drug test documents in a reverse way - to make it appear Anderson failed the test, when in reality, it is not. :twisted:

Ralf Alden will try to sign to one of the following teams in order of preference: Stewart, Arrows, DAMS. :)
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

FMecha wrote:In an another controversy [metagaming] caused by a (deliberately) bad RP [/metagaming], Anderson and Rollock have admitted they have falsified drug test documents in a reverse way - to make it appear Anderson failed the test, when in reality, it is not. :twisted:

One question: WHY!? Why would anyone do that!? Hell, why are you doing this? You admit that the whole Anderson thing was awful, but you keep bringing it up! And now it was deliberately bad? What are you even trying to do!?

Also why do you have that Anderson "quote" (because I'm pretty sure he never said 'vato muppet') in your signature?
Everything's great.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
FMecha wrote:In an another controversy [metagaming] caused by a (deliberately) bad RP [/metagaming], Anderson and Rollock have admitted they have falsified drug test documents in a reverse way - to make it appear Anderson failed the test, when in reality, it is not. :twisted:

One question: WHY!? Why would anyone do that!? Hell, why are you doing this? You admit that the whole Anderson thing was awful, but you keep bringing it up! And now it was deliberately bad? What are you even trying to do!?

Also why do you have that Anderson "quote" (because I'm pretty sure he never said 'vato muppet') in your signature?

Herrmann Mann wrote: Sounds like all Robert and Rollock need to take is a couple of "Shut the hell up" pills...

Due to Herrmann Mann's imprisonment in 1998 for the RTCC, is it alright if I replace him later in the season with Jose Braggia?
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Ralf Alden will try to sign to one of the following teams in order of preference: Stewart, Arrows, DAMS. :)

So first I read that FMecha's doing another controversy in F1RGP2C and I'm thinking

But then I noticed he admitted he messed up his Anderson RP and I'm like

But then I keep reading on after that admission and I'm sitting there doing...

Then I start trying to figure out the point of what he just wrote...

But then of course it doesn't make any sense, and I'm just doing this for the next 10 minutes...
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

They say both Anderson and Rollock was "puppeted" by a match fixing organization. :twisted: And the quote is nothing but a passphrasing of this quote in GTA San Andreas:

Frank Tenpenny, in High Noon mission, wrote:You snitch piece of s**t! You vato a*****e! YOU (Jimmy Hernandez) SOLD US (C.R.A.S.H.) OUT!!

---
Hermann Mann wrote:Sounds like all Robert and Rollock need to take is a couple of "Shut the hell up" pills...

Someone from J.O.U.R.N.A.L wrote:If anything, it should be Walik that take that pill. :roll:

;)
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

FMecha wrote:

They say both Anderson and Rollock was "puppeted" by a match fixing organization. :twisted:

What? Why would any match fixing organization care about a no-talent hack like Anderson, who's driving one of the most hopeless cars on the grid? That makes no sense. Please explain clearly what the point of this is, because at the moment all you're doing is dragging the most cringe-worthy RP in PMMF history back into the spotlight, for seemingly no reason. Are you trying to get Anderson back on the grid? Because even if he was allowed back in, I don't see any team being desperate enough to hire him, considering he consistently failed to qualify a car which everyone else who drove it got on to the grid with ease.

And the quote is nothing but a passphrasing of this quote in GTA San Andreas:

Frank Tenpenny, in High Noon mission, wrote:You snitch piece of s**t! You vato a*****e! YOU (Jimmy Hernandez) SOLD US (C.R.A.S.H.) OUT!!

There's one problem with that. Neither Gauthier nor Anderson are Mexican. So using a Mexican slang word makes absolutely no sense in this context.

Also, Stramala, that is pretty much exactly my reaction to this whole thing.
Everything's great.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

1. I was not trying to bring Anderson back on the grid, I was trying to develop (really bad) storylines for him. Unfortunately, since it was bad on purpose, it failed. :|
2. Sorry - I did not know the word "vato" was Mexican in origin. Another DNDTR for me. :oops: I will remove that "quote" promptly.

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

FMecha wrote:1. I was not trying to bring Anderson back on the grid, I was trying to develop (really bad) storylines for him. Unfortunately, since it was bad on purpose, it failed. :|

I still don't understand fully the point in that. Especially why you say it was 'bad on purpose'. Why are you making intentionally bad storylines? It'll only lead to more things like the whole 'magic' debacle in the WEC.

FMecha wrote:2. Sorry - I did not know the word "vato" was Mexican in origin. Another DNDTR for me. :oops: I will remove that "quote" promptly.

That's okay, just make sure that you actually know what words mean before you use them.
Everything's great.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

FMecha wrote:1. I was not trying to bring Anderson back on the grid, I was trying to develop (really bad) storylines for him. Unfortunately, since it was bad on purpose, it failed. :|

I still don't understand fully the point in that. Especially why you say it was 'bad on purpose'. Why are you making intentionally bad storylines? It'll only lead to more things like the whole 'magic' debacle in the WEC.

These bad ideas, unfortunately, sprung out of my minds, so it is actually more of a between bad ideas and deliberate bad RP (the thing I said earlier was intentionally bad) Stuff it for now, to passphrase Kimi Raikkonen, just leave Robert and Crash alone, they know what they are doing. :|
RonDenisDeletraz

Prince Walik wrote:Bathplug off Anderson, you are not welcome here