The Lucas di Grassi Formula E Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
dinizintheoven

Re: The Lucas di Grassi Formula E Thread

Post by dinizintheoven »

I was quite glad to find out that Virgin Media has the BBC Red Button as channel 991, so that's how I watched it.

Without spoiling anything who might inadvertently have tripped over this thread, it was... in a way... a bit like the first ever race in that there was an unknown quantity in the 2nd generation car. At least we know now that it works, and I'm sure in a few races, we'll see the drivers ending the race with 1% energy rather than [redacted].

Reject Of The Race was [redacted] because [redacted].
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:I was quite glad to find out that Virgin Media has the BBC Red Button as channel 991, so that's how I watched it.

Without spoiling anything who might inadvertently have tripped over this thread, it was... in a way... a bit like the first ever race in that there was an unknown quantity in the 2nd generation car. At least we know now that it works, and I'm sure in a few races, we'll see the drivers ending the race with 1% energy rather than [redacted].

And you agree that IIDOTR was [redacted] because [redacted]?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
FortiWinks

Post by FortiWinks »

dr-baker wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:I was quite glad to find out that Virgin Media has the BBC Red Button as channel 991, so that's how I watched it.

And you agree that IIDOTR was [redacted] because [redacted]?

Nah, surely IIDOTR should be [redacted] because of that [redacted] thing [redacted] did? That was [redacted] amazing!

(Note: I actually haven’t watched the race so I actually have no idea who it actually is meant to be! :lol:)
Knows two facts about ducks and both of them are wrong
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

I had checked all the sites I normally do in the morning—well, after I wake up, which is rarely the morning—and I was about to leave YouTube when I saw the video for the Saudi, I mean Ad Diriyah, ePrix. I knew FE was this weekend, but like, world championship motor races are supposed to be on Sunday. Whatever, not a complaint.

So I watch the pre-race show. It's okay, Franchitti is pretty good, but Vernon Kay seems like he doesn't want to be there. I learn that practice has been severely reduced, and not just in the F1 style of "there was rain on Friday". The grid order is really weird, even considering it's the start of a new regulation era. The grid interviews have 1) drivers saying they don't know what'll happen and 2) celebrities who clearly think Liuzzi is a pasta shape.

In the first few minutes of the race, the direction changes focus so often I can't tell what's going on anywhere. "FULL / COURSE / YELLOW" is super obnoxious. Fortunately, a fight for the lead forces the director to settle down. The track is, well, I think it's good, and it's just the cameras and the fact it's not F1 so I only watch the races letting it down. The esses look really fun to drive, but they have a Korea-esque unlearnability to them as far as watching goes.

The bobbing Attack Mode graphic is annoying in its bobbing. Attack Mode itself is all right, though. It's like an overtake button, but different and weird. Like Formula E should be. At one point during the race, actually two, there are two extra columns of timing tower graphics, one for saying who has FanBoost and one for saying how much Attack Mode time everyone has left. That sums up our main problem with the 2010s, I think. And what's with the chevrons? Just put the time. Then you don't have to explain what the weird chevrons mean. Do they round down or up? I think up, but I'm still not completely sure. And a timer is 60 times as precise anyway.

But that's cosmetics, what about the racing? Well, [redacted] pretty much locked ROTR up when they [redacted] in that way. Anyway, there were a few really good overtakes and nothing else. Like the 2017 Chinese GP. I spent pretty much the entire race getting over how slightly weird everything was. The new order, the new rules... it's just... slightly weird. But again, FE should be that way. [redacted]'s pace is concerning, but I don't think taking this race to mean anything is a good idea.

The first race of the second generation was, overall, fairly exciting and a bit weird. I'm thankful for Formula E's role in making northern hemisphere winter motorsport deprivation less severe.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

There was a pre-race show, with Vernon Kay? Was this on BT Sport? The BBC's Red Button coverage was almost Setanta-esque in its minimalism, though at least they were good enough to show us the full podium.
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:There was a pre-race show, with Vernon Kay? Was this on BT Sport? The BBC's Red Button coverage was almost Setanta-esque in its minimalism, though at least they were good enough to show us the full podium.

I missed Vernon Kay on BBC iPlayer too... was he on the YouTube coverage?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
UncreativeUsername37

dr-baker wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:There was a pre-race show, with Vernon Kay? Was this on BT Sport? The BBC's Red Button coverage was almost Setanta-esque in its minimalism, though at least they were good enough to show us the full podium.

I missed Vernon Kay on BBC iPlayer too... was he on the YouTube coverage?

It was the YouTube coverage. Certainly a change from the last time I watched it, where the video literally started with the start lights....
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Just saw it now repeated on "Freesports" in the UK, which seems to show nothing but tinpot motorsport and Swedish ice-hockey leagues :D

The race was really good fun. Reject of the Race candidates for me were:
- Attack Mode!: To have had that there for the first few laps to inform the viewer of where the attack mode area was, would have been at least acceptable. To have it flash up there every time the coverage showed that corner, was way too much and got very annoying very quickly
- José-María López: Missing the attack zone twice apparently, then hitting the wall, whilst competing for a podium at least. Classic reject stuff.
- Techeetah, but also André Lotterer: that double penalty cost them the win, but Lotterer was bumping all over the place and was clearly outpaced by Vergne.

Infinite Improbability of the Race candidates for me were:
- The number of overtakes!: Great to see so much movement within the field; refreshing to see how close cars can be, and real racing for once.
- The hierarchy (not to be a hypocrite): Formula E was a laughing stock for a long time as anyone seemingly could jump in and compete at the very front. Scott Speed almost won his first race, and Scott Speed is hardly at the quality of a champion like Enrique Bernoldi. For most of the race that I was watching, Massa was leading the newbies in 8th, and it seemed nice that enough of a hierarchy and basic standard quality of drivers has been brought in :P

But yeah, good job Formula E, you have a fan for this season!
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

So it's approximately one minute into the race, and I'm calling Reject of the Race as The YouTube coverage. Formula E always stream the race on YouTube for international audiences to watch it through. I've never had a problem with this before.

For this race they had some amateur guests of whom I've never heard - I think they're boyband members? Full-screen on the video, sitting in some studio somewhere. am fuming right now. They showed the first five seconds of the race, where the incident happened in the first corner, and have shown these amateur guests on a couch somewhere shouting at each other since. As of about ten minutes into the race, we're at 80% dislikes on the YouTube video, and everyone on the live chat there is absolutely furious, as I am, wondering why they're not getting to see the race. It's advertised as live coverage of the race, and there isn't any. There is no coverage of the race whatsoever.

What a bloody blunder, FE.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

And there I was thinking YouTube did something a bit extra. First time round I was wondering why everyone else who wasn't watching via the BBC Red button got to see the usual presenting team with the BBC's coverage reduced to Setanta levels of minimalism; this time it looks like the situation is reversed. How odd.

I would hope Max Verstappen took his "punishment" stewarding job seriously when that incident happened, and someone said "LOOK AT THAT, MAX - THAT'S WHAT YOU DON'T DO!"

I am quite seriously chuffed for the winner, for reasons which should be obvious when you know who it is.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:I am quite seriously chuffed for the winner, for reasons which should be obvious when you know who it is.

Yeah, seeing Pedro Diniz appear as a last-minute replacement for [redacted -spoilers!] was a surprise, but then to see him dominate in such fashion was wonderful. I can see Parmalat becoming title sponsors of that team before long. Just so long as the car doesn't end up catching fire mid-race this year...
MCard LOLA
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

So I'm here in Morocco, and boy it's been pretty fun! One thing to take away from this weekend: the JEV custom forum emoji might need a wee update...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
UncreativeUsername37

Is there a team that wants to win this series right now?
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Sorry about my post yesterday - I was very emotional when I posted that. But so were a lot of other people, as shown by the chat on the YouTube video, where a lot of people like myself felt they had been duped and found they were suddenly not allowed to watch the race.

I mean, I still don't know what happened beyond literally the first corner, thanks to that.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

No need to apologize: it's appalling treatment of viewers. I was furious when Sky skipped the live coverage of the start of an F2 race, having committed to "full" and "enhanced" coverage.
I don't understand how they can fundamentally misunderstand their audience in these circumstances. It's really not difficult; show the action
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Rob Dylan wrote:Sorry about my post yesterday - I was very emotional when I posted that. But so were a lot of other people, as shown by the chat on the YouTube video, where a lot of people like myself felt they had been duped and found they were suddenly not allowed to watch the race.

I mean, I still don't know what happened beyond literally the first corner, thanks to that.

You're in the UK, right? Then you should be able to catch up on BBC iPlayer. But had I been watching on YouTube, I would have been irate - it has been advertised as being able to watch via this method in the UK and they failed to deliver. Simple as.

But another observation, particularly after the final safety car, was how closely the cars were able to run nose-to-gearbox. They were all running much closer than F1 cars would have been able to. I suspect it was due to the small wings and large diffuser that made this possible?
MCard LOLA
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I watched on Eurosport this time and was delighted to see the usual presentation and commentary team (Vernon Kay, Nicki Shields, Jack, Dario & Bob) rather than Eurosport's terrible line-up so I will stick to that since the BBC red button coverage is far too brief.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Barbazza wrote:I watched on Eurosport this time and was delighted to see the usual presentation and commentary team (Vernon Kay, Nicki Shields, Jack, Dario & Bob) rather than Eurosport's terrible line-up so I will stick to that since the BBC red button coverage is far too brief.

Sounds like Eurosport and BBC actually had identical coverage, for the same folk were on the BBC.
MCard LOLA
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

dr-baker wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:Sorry about my post yesterday - I was very emotional when I posted that. But so were a lot of other people, as shown by the chat on the YouTube video, where a lot of people like myself felt they had been duped and found they were suddenly not allowed to watch the race.

You're in the UK, right? Then you should be able to catch up on BBC iPlayer. But had I been watching on YouTube, I would have been irate - it has been advertised as being able to watch via this method in the UK and they failed to deliver. Simple as.

But another observation, particularly after the final safety car, was how closely the cars were able to run nose-to-gearbox. They were all running much closer than F1 cars would have been able to. I suspect it was due to the small wings and large diffuser that made this possible?

Yea, the wings don't provide much aero AFAIK. I even remember someone (Lopez? Di Grassi?) hitting the back of someone and losing a piece of front wing around mid-race, yet they didn't lose too much pace.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

No reaction to Saturday's goings-on in not-so-chilly Chile?

Top banana for Virgin's premier dwarf, and for Princess Pascal who will probably get a new tiara to polish (though not a gold one to polish just let). And I thought there might just have been a breakthrough for everyone's second-favourite Belgian (after the one named after a brand of custard and rice pudding, obviously), but it was not to be.

A slap for the stewards for, yet again, giving out so many penalties, a lot of which appeared not to be entirely justified. Is Emanuele Pirro involved?

And if I sound like a broken record, because I've probably said it before, why do I get the suspicion that there's someone behind the scenes trying to handicap former series winners so that a new champion is deliberately engineered each year? Lucas di Grassi may have had a good moan on the grid about "the most stupid rule ever" (which I still don't understand what it's concerning, how or why it was implemented) but it wouldn't surprise me if at some stage in the not-too-distant future he finally shoots his mouth off on live TV and outright says what I was implying. And if he gets banned for it, I'll take it as a sign we were both right, comparisons with Alex Jones be damned.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

dinizintheoven wrote:A slap for the stewards for, yet again, giving out so many penalties, a lot of which appeared not to be entirely justified. Is Emanuele Pirro involved?

I've only just finished watching it. The main problem with the penalties was that in almost every case, they were applied after the race so it was a case of 'here's your finishing order, oh no hang on....here it is after penalties for 3 drivers are appplied'. I get that the stewards only have 45 minutes to make all their decisions in, but if they're struggling, get more people in!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Barbazza wrote:I've only just finished watching it. The main problem with the penalties was that in almost every case, they were applied after the race so it was a case of 'here's your finishing order, oh no hang on....here it is after penalties for 3 drivers are appplied'. I get that the stewards only have 45 minutes to make all their decisions in, but if they're struggling, get more people in!

Max Verstappen wrote:Did somebody call?
UncreativeUsername37

If someone crashed out of the lead in an F1 race, we'd all be talking about it... with FE it's just... it's just FE, I guess
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Without wanting to give too much away, what complete chaos at the end of today's race!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

First time I've watched FE this season, christ alive that last lap was ridiculous. Pretty much everyone miscalculated their battery range thanks to the early red flag. :pantano:

Gotta feel for Wehrlein though, he was the class of the field until he got dicked over by Di Grassi.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Does anyone here drive a Nissan Leaf?

Better not trust your range meter!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Range anxiety for the win!
MCard LOLA
UncreativeUsername37

Incidents, close racing all the way through, López providing some rejectfulness, and what a finish! I thought Rally Monte Carlo would spend a while at the top this year, but nope.

I wonder how Rosenqvist feels right now about going to be Dixon's teammate....
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I have just caught up with the Jaguar iPace eTrophy. Katherine Legge won in Mexico! She leads the championship! by 1 point from Evans, Jiminez AND Sellers...
MCard LOLA
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

FE to come back to London for 2020 ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/motorsport/47449228
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Let's hope this is actually confirmed and set in stone and will be something worth staying alive for. The first race at Battersea Park was a grand day out.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:Let's hope this is actually confirmed and set in stone and will be something worth staying alive for. The first race at Battersea Park was a grand day out.

It was indeed, my dear sir. Maybe we should do it again?
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Very far in the future of course, but I wouldn't mind going there myself, even if it is a bit far from my current location! I'll put myself on the maybe list.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Holy heck that finish. Still don't know if Bird will get penalised by the time of this comment, but what a battle. Great defensive drive by Lotterer, shame about the end result for him.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Susie Wolff wrote:*banging hard on the stewards' door*
That vas definitely ein deliberate und dangerous move! You vill gif a penalty to Sam Bird or I vill send ANGRY TOTO in to see you und he vill bang his fist on der table, ye ken?

Edvardo... get der celebratory Schottischer champagne, you vill be der vinner.

Edoardo Mortara wrote:*takes one mouthful and spits it out in disgust*
MAMMA MIA, THIS IS... TENNENT'S LAGER!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Jim, never ever change!

Enjoyed seeing Jamie Chadwick on the BBC coverage, although I wished she was given more chance to speak by Jenny Gow, even though I don't know whether I agree with her assessment of the Sam Bird clash.
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

dr-baker wrote:Jim, never ever change!

Worry ye not, I won't.

dr-baker wrote:Enjoyed seeing Jamie Chadwick on the BBC coverage, although I wished she was given more chance to speak by Jenny Gow, even though I don't know whether I agree with her assessment of the Sam Bird clash.

Whether or not you agree with her, she called it, I called it, even Sam Bird called it with his less-than-enthusiastic celebration.

And it's not as if he and André Lotterer don't have some history after last season...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Enjoyed seeing Jamie Chadwick on the BBC coverage, although I wished she was given more chance to speak by Jenny Gow, even though I don't know whether I agree with her assessment of the Sam Bird clash.

Whether or not you agree with her, she called it, I called it, even Sam Bird called it with his less-than-enthusiastic celebration.

And it's not as if he and André Lotterer don't have some history after last season...

If Jenoch were still around, I would say, "Conspiracy theorists, stand up!" Because have you seen what that has done to the championship standings? ! :shock:
MCard LOLA
UncreativeUsername37

It's a shame such a great battle ended that way... and a five-second penalty doesn't really make sense. If it was largely his fault, the penalty for causing a race-ruining puncture should be bigger, and if it wasn't, he shouldn't be penalised.
mario

Post by mario »

UncreativeUsername37 wrote:It's a shame such a great battle ended that way... and a five-second penalty doesn't really make sense. If it was largely his fault, the penalty for causing a race-ruining puncture should be bigger, and if it wasn't, he shouldn't be penalised.

As it happens, that is exactly what Techeetah thought and why they seem to have tried to have the penalty against Bird increased.

Now, because time penalties cannot be protested, they tried to get around that by protesting the provisional results instead - but the stewards just rejected that move, noting that it wasn't meant to be a mechanism for protesting against penalties that can't be protested. Their attempt to get the penalty increased was therefore dismissed. https://www.racefans.net/2019/03/11/ste ... -for-bird/
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"