The "You're Winner!" Gaming Thread

The place for alternate championships that use real results as a base of forming alternative results, driver careers, and games in general
Ferrarist

Re: The "You're Winner!" Gaming Thread

Post by Ferrarist »

Despite all the diffculties that come with playing GP2 on 64-bit Windows 7, I got it running on DosBox. But it's really annoying if you have to convert the JAD files in DosBox. The track managers also don't seem to be working. Worse, some new tracks seem to work, and some don't. I installed Walt Disney World Speedway, and it worked fine. I installed Indianapolis, and DosBox blacks out, once I attempt to start a race there. Granted, I'll have to install another version. But there is one version, where you can easily reach more than 400KPH, and the entire field crashes out in the first couple of laps!

Anyway, I did a race at Walt Disney World on I think Amateur level (With a keyboard!): I qualified on 20th, something like 0.7 seconds behind Buddy Lazier's pole lap. But in the race, Buzz Calkins had to do a Grosjean on me, on the first lap! :evil:
MIA SAN MIA!
RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

MinardiFan95 wrote: If you like the touge style courses in Auto Modellista, check out Tokyo Xtreme Racer Drift 2/Kaido Racer 2 (for PS2), it's probably the most in-depth Touge game out there and has a varied selection of JDM cars... including a Suzuki Carry kei-truck :D Oh, and it also has an intro song by Daiki Kasho.

I enjoyed Tokyo Xtreme Racer 3 (the one after TXR0) very much when I had it on PS2. Now I regret trading it in. It, like Auto Modellista, also had soapy controls but was still a great time-sink of a game.

Now, I got Borderlands 2 for Xbox 360 (if ya'll want to do Co-Op, give me a shout on XBL -> Crashbroke23) and F1 2012. I'm trying to get my eye in on F1 without using the driving line, since on most racing games I can do okay without it, just not F1 for some reason. And also sequelage to H4G. Speaking of H4G, I need to make that season review video... :oops:
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding: I'll try to get the TXR games in December.
Now I'm playing Omega Boost (by Polyphony!) on a keyboard with an image of my copy emulated (can't plug my PS1 onto the TV, it's used all day by my dad) - such an awesome, yet underrated game.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Should I get WRC 3? It looks good.
Trump 2016
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

darkapprentice77 wrote:Should I get WRC 3? It looks good.

As far as I know (being a news editor online), it's better than the previous two. The demo was particularly surprising, however it probably won't get 80-90 ratings everywhere. So I'll say only if you're a hardcore WRC fan.

Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

I also got my hands on NASCAR Racing 2003. I've got to say, it's a decent game. The track installation works well for me, but I seem to fail at installing carsets, because they won't show up in the game. Does anyone know how to properly install carsets?
MIA SAN MIA!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Cynon wrote:Anyone play Minecraft?

Yes. And so, I welcome you all to the Fortress of Fortitude, to Scheckter Farm, and to the twin villages of McGregor and Fort Law. The current project is a 10-storey tower block called Wilson House (which might rise to 20 or 30 if the experiment works). And you all know all the references, right?

Incidentally, if I do come across any more villages, what should I call them - any suggestions? Also, with a new diamond mine about to be opened, what would be appropriate for that?

Hopefully there'll be an update sometime involving the ability to grow grapes and make wine. Then I'll open a Minecraft vineyard, name it after Jarno Trulli, and have the Trulli Train parked outside. "Eeeeh, power steering is bad on this train!"
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

kostas22 wrote:
takagi_for_the_win wrote:Meanwhile, I've spent the last month of my life on FIFA 11, helping Chievo Verona win Serie A. No mean feat, especially when you consider I had it on legendary difficulty (the hardest I'd previously been on was Amateur) and the halfs were 6 minutes long each. What was even better is that Juventus came 13th, AC Milan came 16th, and Fiorentina came bottom with only one win (which incidentally was a 4-0 win against me :evil: )

So it would appear you can't buy referees in Fifa...

And yes, getting Chievo Verona to do anything is incredibly difficult, they are by far the dullest and mediocre football team in the world. If Serie A were represented by a living room, Chievo would be the bland beige low intensity lamp that got put in the corner and people forget to ever use. They are masters of anonymity.

Meanwhile back in my Football Manager Serie A game, it's only the middle of February and I already have a 17 point lead at the top of Serie A ahead of Roma. Unfortunately however Juventus have been able to claw their way back up to 8th in the table. Udinese are really struggling, only 5 wins and they're 2 points above relegation.
Compare this to Fifa, where I'm scraping the bottom of the table with Inter, only 4 points in 5 matches puts me 13th and already 11 points behind league leaders Lazio.

Trust me, the refs on Fifa 11 are very Juve biased. I was 2-0 up against them at half time, and then in the space of 10 minutes, Gelson Fernandes was forced with an injury that ruled him out for 6 months (I didn't even get a freekick) and then Edgar Davids was sent off for a perfectly legit tackle. That would be like Barca playing without Xavi and Iniesta, i.e. well below their best. Needless to say I conceded 4 goals in the second half...
TORA! TORA! TORA!
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

I can't seem make SA-MP (San Andreas Multiplayer - a multiplayer add-on for GTA San Andreas) to work - I run a personal server on it, but I received a 0x0056F348 error every time I start it. With compatibilty settings (on gta_sa.exe) removed I get 0x0040FB80 error instead. Does anyone can help? :?
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
mario

Post by mario »

dinizintheoven wrote:Incidentally, if I do come across any more villages, what should I call them - any suggestions? Also, with a new diamond mine about to be opened, what would be appropriate for that?

Surely a reference to Klien would be appropriate for the diamond mine...
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Got Action Girlz Racing, The Flintstones: Bedrock Racing as well, I'm waiting for them to arrive by mail.

Can any of you recommend any bad FPS/racing games for PS2 please?

MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

Shizuka wrote:Got Action Girlz Racing, The Flintstones: Bedrock Racing as well, I'm waiting for them to arrive by mail.

Can any of you recommend any bad FPS/racing games for PS2 please?

Here's a list of some of the woeful PS2 racing games I've played:
  • D-unit Drift Racing - Quite simply the worst game I've ever had the misfortune of playing - the cars hardly even drifted, and the fake reflections on the windows certainly didn't work, as they were reflecting blue sky and sunshine when the game was set at night.
  • Crazy Frog Racer - An annoying thing in a game that's worse than it's "music"
  • Raceway Drag and Stock Car - Worth trying just for the comical "big-jump" game mode... nothing else though.
  • Driven - Yes, it is based on THAT movie... and yes, it is just as bad as THAT movie
  • Dirt Track Devils - Dull off road racing game with dodgy physics and a very short playthrough time
  • Formula Challenge - F1 game on a very tight budget, no licencing and tracks based on real layouts... but with a distinct lack of elevation
  • Driving Emotion Type S - Squaresoft's attempt at a Gran Turismo clone... almost matches GT2 on graphics and has shocking handling on the PAL version, which, astonishingly, was improved from the Japanese version of the game
  • Racing Simulation 3 - Not a terrible game, but worth a look as it's an unlicensed F1 game based on the 2000 season (for example, Gaston Mazzacane is renamed Gaby Menesquez).
  • Wacky Racers: Mad Motors - Hmm... that Flintstones game that you linked to looks much too similar to this...
  • International Super Karts - Dull kart racer with shoddy handling
  • Riding Spirits II - An arcade motorbike racing game that appears to be a simulation... slightly touching a wall will result in flying over the handlebars.

Other than those racing games, there's this FPS game... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNgkpEyoiMI

...and if you're on the lookout for some bad PS2 games, try looking for games published by Midas or Phoenix Games.

EDIT: Oh, and here's a game named after Jacques Villeneuve: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGcZUtQRTXk
This is a cool spot.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

MinardiFan95 wrote:...and if you're on the lookout for some bad PS2 games, try looking for games published by Midas or Phoenix Games.

You know what I knew from those muppets (read: Midas/Phoenix Games)? All-Star Racing and Stock Car Racer, on the original PlayStation. The GT Racer part of All-Star Racing had cars that is bathpluggingly hard to control. And both games had bad handling and produces very boring races. :evil:

Also, anyone an expert with SA-MP? (See my previous post)
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

MinardiFan95 wrote:[*]Racing Simulation 3 - Not a terrible game, but worth a look as it's an unlicensed F1 game based on the 2000 season (for example, Gaston Mazzacane is renamed Gaby Menesquez).

I once played a real-life mod of that game based on the 2005 season. The thing is, however, that only the names (and the liveries if my memory serves me well) were changes so you'd pretty much always see Narain Karthikeyan and Tiago Monteiro in the upper half of the field. :mrgreen:
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Thanks for the recommendations, I'm pretty sure I'll try to grab some in early December.

I've seen Racing Simulation 3 from Ubisoft - they managed to named Hungaroring ROMANIA. Seriously... feck off, as a Hungarian, it's seriously annoying :D
The JV game is kinda alright, and it's a definite "must buy" soon. Will fit in nicely between F1 06 and the Monza bugged F1 2003.
Driven... oh yeah, I've heard it's not the best. Great, just what I wanted: a bad VG adaptation :lol:

Haven't heard from the others, but I'll try to get them too!

Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

I happen to be one of the unfortunate owners of this. It promises you 36 different cars, but actually that's just two car models (a BMW saloon rip-off and a Fiat hatchback ripoff) with two different power variations with a dozen or so different liveries to make up the numbers. The level of difficulty is low, so if you have any sort of experience from racing games you can breeze through all cups and time trials. The handling is quite arcadey so even a complete noob can learn to drive relatively quickly. The tracks aren't that bad, although IIRC there weren't that many of different enviroments (just variations of same tracks). And if you complete all of the time trials, you unlock a special prize... more liveries for your car!
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

That's pretty rejectful.
Thanks Nuppiz, that's another one added to my list.

madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Not that great, but not that bad either, and little heard-of, is a PS2 race game called Downforce, which I only really remember as my steering wheel worked with it.

This was in the days when I was still using my old PS1 Mad Katz wheel and before I got a proper Logitech Gran Turismo force feedback one.

http://uk.gamespot.com/downforce/
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I don't usually drop in here but today I got GP4 for the grand sum of 49 pence.

Weirdly, I remember seeing it before in DVD style case and maybe even a big box, but the one I got was in an A5 sized box.

It looks really good for a 10 year old game, I have to say!

It seems a bit temperamental on my PC though, after installation it worked fine. Then I downloaded the patch and it had a bit of a fit until eventually it decided to work again.

Still, better than GP3 which doesn't seem to play on modern PCs at all whatever you use....
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Barbazza wrote:I don't usually drop in here but today I got GP4 for the grand sum of 49 pence.

Weirdly, I remember seeing it before in DVD style case and maybe even a big box, but the one I got was in an A5 sized box.

It looks really good for a 10 year old game, I have to say!

It seems a bit temperamental on my PC though, after installation it worked fine. Then I downloaded the patch and it had a bit of a fit until eventually it decided to work again.

Still, better than GP3 which doesn't seem to play on modern PCs at all whatever you use....

I also got Grand Prix 4 for just $5 in June.It's seriously one of my favorite games ever,and currently the only game I currently bother to play one my computer.

Speaking of GP4,I have a few questions,especially concerning the decrypted GP4.exe files with the patch.Whenever I download the GP4.exe decrypted files with the patch,some parts of the cars (Yoong's helmet,Benetton rear wings,the entire Ferrari car among others) turn white.I reckon it could be due to missing textures,but if so,how do you fix it?
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I don't have problems with that, I'm just having issues getting the damn thing to run at all (and if it does, it seems incapable of lasting too long without crashing)

Sometimes autorun makes the game start, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes running gp4.exe makes it start, sometimes it doesn't. It's very confusing.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

You might need to download GPXPatch if you don't have it already...

Have a look at the FAQs here.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Cheers, I'll give GPxpatch a go at some point.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

mario wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:Incidentally, if I do come across any more villages, what should I call them - any suggestions? Also, with a new diamond mine about to be opened, what would be appropriate for that?

So, I've been Minecrafting again in lieu of being able to run the latest round of F1RMGP (I'm still going to give it a couple of weeks off, most likely). I've had a brainwave this morning - the all-powerful company that runs mining in Rejectland, which operates my first massive slab-mine and will also run the second, is the World Institute for Diamond Discovery. I'm sure you can all work out why I chose those particular initials...

Presumably the reference to Christian Klien is because of his earring (though, if anyone said "diamond earring" and "Formula One driver" to me in the same sentence, I'd think of Lewis Hamilton). If so, I'm going to retrospectively name the first mine Danner Depths, after the original earring-wearing German-speaking Christian who probably should have been a reject but wasn't.
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

dinizintheoven wrote:
mario wrote:

So, I've been Minecrafting again in lieu of being able to run the latest round of F1RMGP (I'm still going to give it a couple of weeks off, most likely). I've had a brainwave this morning - the all-powerful company that runs mining in Rejectland, which operates my first massive slab-mine and will also run the second, is the World Institute for Diamond Discovery. I'm sure you can all work out why I chose those particular initials...

Presumably the reference to Christian Klien is because of his earring (though, if anyone said "diamond earring" and "Formula One driver" to me in the same sentence, I'd think of Lewis Hamilton). If so, I'm going to retrospectively name the first mine Danner Depths, after the original earring-wearing German-speaking Christian who probably should have been a reject but wasn't.

Actually, it's a reference to the 2004 Monaco Grand Prix. For the premiere of Ocean's Twelve, Jaguar embedded some diamonds into their nosecones. Klien promptly destroyed his at the Grand Hotel hairpin, losing the diamond in the process.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

tommykl wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:So, I've been Minecrafting again in lieu of being able to run the latest round of F1RMGP (I'm still going to give it a couple of weeks off, most likely). I've had a brainwave this morning - the all-powerful company that runs mining in Rejectland, which operates my first massive slab-mine and will also run the second, is the World Institute for Diamond Discovery. I'm sure you can all work out why I chose those particular initials...

Actually, it's a reference to the 2004 Monaco Grand Prix. For the premiere of Ocean's Twelve, Jaguar embedded some diamonds into their nosecones. Klien promptly destroyed his at the Grand Hotel hairpin, losing the diamond in the process.

Which serves them right for coming up with such a dumb promotion.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

tommykl wrote:Actually, it's a reference to the 2004 Monaco Grand Prix. For the premiere of Ocean's Twelve, Jaguar embedded some diamonds into their nosecones. Klien promptly destroyed his at the Grand Hotel hairpin, losing the diamond in the process.

Oh, that! I sort-of-remember now. Even so, I'm trying to find diamonds rather than lose them, and the worst I managed to lose in the first mine was a cat...
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

I've been playing again F1 Circus on Megadrive (seriously, amazingly fun game and career mode!, I love some of the 16-bit japan-only games) and also successfully installed MAME, with which I hope to get F1 Super Lap and Exhaust Note running correctly with my wheel and pedals at some point this week.
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

So, I tried the F1 Race Stars demo, and DEAR GOD IS IT AWFUL. AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE.
Everything's great.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

I've been wasting my time with Forza: Horizon, which isn't that bad actually. Think of Need for Speed Pro Street, Underground 2, and Forza having sloppy sloppy sex.

As for old racing games, anyone else here have R: Racing Evolution? That game rocked.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:So, I tried the F1 Race Stars demo, and DEAR GOD IS IT AWFUL. AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE.

Strangely enough I tried this last night as well, and I have to agree. From the 'blurb' I thought the game had 'real' F1 tracks but in a karting style, with elevation and jumps, etc.

Well from the demo, seems there are only 10 tracks, and they're not in the shape of F1 circuits at all. The weapons / boosters hardly seem to do anything, as far as I can tell there's no
way of going round corners quickly (no drifting). Was thinking this might be a future purchase for the children to play, but even Little Big Planet Karting looks better. Still, I will keep the
demo for a while to let the children have a go. Only thing they have got right is the slightly 'unstable' look of Pastor Maldonado ...
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Well, I finally got Fifa 13. Just started a management career with Portsmouth...I'll return them to their former glory.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Minecraft, you say? Well, I've played it since late 2010, although as with all games in general, very irregularly. You see, I usually concentrate on one or two games at a time, then play them intensively until I inevitably get bored and switch to another.

These buildings are from the second map of my own server, which is getting severely outdated as it was originally launched back when the Beta 1.8 Adventure Update came out, i.e. over a year ago. Nevertheless, along with my two mates we've built quite a bit there even quite recently. However, the following screenshots are only from buildings made by myself. There's no particular theme, but you could say that I'm quite the square guy.

Third base, aka The Hotel/Puerto Nuovo
The big cobblestone tower on the right is the lighthouse, with netherrack fires burning at the top. The brick house is the hotel, which has accomodation for four people (despite there never having been more than three people on the server). The long pier leads to a ship built by my friend, which in turn rests in a large lake that is artificially connected (by digging a canal) to the "ocean": a large watermass of which edge we still haven't been able to find, likely a bug caused by the map having updated on several different versions of the game. On the left you can see the minecart station & railway leading to the second base.

The hotel lobby, with reception and everything. The night club is made out of stone brick and has two floors, however it's also furnished by the same friend who made the ship I mentioned earlier, so it's not pictured. On the right you can see the staircase leading to the second floor, and opposite to it is one of the three toilets in the hotel (the two others being in the bottom floor of the night club).

As we take a dip into the toilet bowl...

...the water current leads us to an underground wheat farm. Originally a lava lake which I converted into obsidian, dug them out and replaced most of the ground with dirt.

The second floor of the hotel, three ordinary (small) rooms with very basic furnishing.

More of the same.

Attic suite, with lots of storage, a "private" furnace, electric light and a panorama window offering a nice view to the north.

One of the few railway bridges I've built.

Second base/Harbor
Originally meant as an outpost with a harbor, it quickly became our main base of operations. The harbor idea was partly scrapped after we found out that the lake next to it was actually quite limited in size, eventually leading to the building of a new harbor on the shores of a much larger lake (aka Puerto Nuovo). Nevertheless, this is currently the largest base of the three. The railway from Puerto Nuovo is coming from the right. In the middle you can see sandstone stairs leading to my never-ending stone brick tower project, which I make higher every now and then. Next to it is a small sandstone building, a miniature version of the one I built on our first map (which is no longer in use due to being extremely outdated). The railway leading to our first base can be seen on the left, making a curve before fading into the horizon.

The same view a bit more to the west, showing my "greenhouse" (more on it later) and the three bridges over the river.

A humble cottage, the first building of this base. Next to it is a small farm, and behind it is a swimming pool. Not pictured is an expanded farm with more plants and all four farm animals in their pens. The pier in this base is built by my friend, and the stairs lead up to his airship.

A closer look at the "greenhouse", a small house built entirely out of leaves and lit with jack-o-lanterns.

The small sandstone building has a swimming pool in its second floor.

One of my most labourious projects was a large underground tunnel built at bedrock level, which is now operational and connects these two bases I've so far shown. At this end it comes up into my friend's underwater base. However, because the tunnel is very unspectacular and barren, I've decided not to take a screenie of it.

First base
The place where it all began when we first started this map. The wooden building on the right has been expanded numerous times. A curious feature is that the wooden and stone parts are actually connected from both the ground floor and the attic. The interior is very basic, so I've not pictured it.

However, underneath it is an underground farm that has all four plants which were available in the game back when it was built.

First floor of the brick house, a later addition I built due to having excessive amounts of brick available. Fireplace, some basic furnishings and a stairwell down to the cellar swimming pool.

The swimming pool, complete with underwater lightning. A tunnel linking the two underground areas is found behind the camera.

The second floor of the brick house. Not much to say, the stairwell leads to the attic which is nearly empty.

Some way north from the first base is another of my large projects, a large sandstone pyramid:

The interior is dimly lit on purpose to give a small chance of mobs appearing there. The chest are empty and are only meant to fool the wayward adventurer into peeking inside.

Yes, it's a high pyramid.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

madmark1974 wrote:
BlindCaveSalamander wrote:So, I tried the F1 Race Stars demo, and DEAR GOD IS IT AWFUL. AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE.

Strangely enough I tried this last night as well, and I have to agree. From the 'blurb' I thought the game had 'real' F1 tracks but in a karting style, with elevation and jumps, etc.

You should email Codemasters with that idea.
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Aerond wrote:
madmark1974 wrote:

You should email Codemasters with that idea.

Well here is what the blurb said about it :

F1 RACE STARS will take players on a world tour of iconic FORMULA ONE locations, including Monaco, Silverstone and the new Circuit of Americas in Austin, Texas, recreated as fantastical racing circuits built for speed and wheel-to-wheel competition

Which makes it sound like they could be the real tracks - surely Codemasters must have the licence as they make the 'proper' F1 game? Still, on PS3 pretty much any track you can think of is represented in Modnation Racers:

https://community.modnation.com/en-us/creations/tracks

Zeltweg was the only track I tried with no results ... Pau, Macau, Bathurst, Laguna Seca, Nordschelife, Spa, Monza, Surfer's Paradise, Le Mans, Anderstorp, even Croft, Knockhill, Cadwell Park, and Gran Turismo tracks such
as Special Stage Route 11 and Apricot Hill are all available. I'm actually quite encouraged to buy it now!
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

Wallio wrote:I've been wasting my time with Forza: Horizon, which isn't that bad actually. Think of Need for Speed Pro Street, Underground 2, and Forza having sloppy sloppy sex.

I've been playing a fair bit of Forza Horizon lately, and it surprised me how enjoyable it is to play... especially once you forget about the low number of cars compared to Forza 4 and the overpriced DLC. One particular note of interest to Rejects fans is one of the main rivals you race against in the "orange wristband" events, someone by the name of Zaki Malik, who is a prince (though which country he's a Prince in is not specified)... sounds rather like a certain someone who bought a share of Arrows in 1999.

Judging from the music posted in the JV Music thread, I have a feeling that a few members' would like the music on the in-game "Horizon Rocks" station (it includes bands such as the Stone Roses, Arctic Monkeys and Lostprophets). The DJ is rather annoying though thankfully they can be turned off in the options in the pause menu.
This is a cool spot.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

madmark1974 wrote:

Well from the demo, seems there are only 10 tracks, and they're not in the shape of F1 circuits at all. The weapons / boosters hardly seem to do anything, as far as I can tell there's no
way of going round corners quickly (no drifting). Was thinking this might be a future purchase for the children to play, but even Little Big Planet Karting looks better. Still, I will keep the
demo for a while to let the children have a go. Only thing they have got right is the slightly 'unstable' look of Pastor Maldonado ...

There is apparently a way to charge KERS, as I've seen the AI do it, but I'm stumped as to how to figure it out - it doesn't help that the options menu doesn't tell you what does that! It also seems that if you don't hunt down the leader immediately, they'll just take off and establish an unassailable 10 second gap. Another time, I was leading, and out of nowhere, with absolutely no warning at all, Pedro de la Rosa just teleports right next to me and takes the lead, which, while awesome, doesn't really strike me as particularly good design. Another 'feature' is the ability to damage your car - don't really see the point with that at all. As you've noted, the powerups are generally rubbish, and to top it all off, there's no mouse support in the PC port. HOW CAN YOU MAKE A PC PORT AND NOT ALLOW MOUSE SUPPORT!? WHY WAS THIS ALLOWED TO HAPPEN!?

If you're looking for a kart game, just stick to Mario Kart if you have a Nintendo... anything, really; otherwise, I can highly recommend Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing - the sequel to which is supposed to be released next week.
Everything's great.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Bought WRC: Evolved (aka WRC 5) for PS2 for about 4 Euros with postage. Whoever owns/owned it: do you also think it's a bit of a letdown compared to 4?
Also, did any of you play Black Ops II?

DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:If you're looking for a kart game, just stick to Mario Kart if you have a Nintendo... anything, really; otherwise, I can highly recommend Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing - the sequel to which is supposed to be released next week.

Some other good Kart games from the N64 era was Diddy Kong Racing, and Mickey's Speedway. Very similar to the Mario Kart games, and also very enjoyable to play.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I bought an N64 on Thursday, and also a controller, Mario Kart and F1 World Grand Prix all for about £55. Should all be delivered soon...sniped someone's bid for Mario Kart. What a scumbag I am.

Now I just gotta get Goldeneye.