ROTRs outside F1

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Shizuka

Re: ROTRs outside F1

Post by Shizuka »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:WRC Australia 2005: Skippy the Kangeroo: jumped out in front of Petter Solberg's Subaru and caused terminal damage to the Norweigan's car. Considering that all the top guys were eliminated in that rally (Duval and Rovenpera isn't the 1-2 you would predict everyday) Solberg lost a win through no fault of his own

How about the the Fabia WRC's clutch that led to Colin McRae's retirement?

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

2012 Nascar Nationwide Series at Montreal: The shoe on track for more or less ending Patrick's day when she had a good shot of winning.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

GP2 Barcelona Sprint Race 2013: Johnny Cecotto: Andy Neate would have been proud
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

ROTR for any GP2 race: anyone who matches Cecotto's expectations of himself. ;)
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

2007 WRC ROTY: Subaru If 2006 was poor then 2007 was even worse, They scored just 2 podiums all season and were struggling to even beat the Stobart team consistently as Henning defeated Petter in Norway of all places and they scored more podiums than Subaru did to wind up just 6 points behind them in the manufactures title. Solberg could only get 2nd in Portugal and 3rd in Greece in terms of podiums which just confirmed Subaru's fall from grace

I don't know why Subaru were so bad between 2006-08. There were a couple of rule changes that happened for 2006 which Subaru didn't get on with that year but surely by 2007 they should have sorted it out. Solberg complained during many rallies that year about how monstrous his handling was at times which couldn't have been good for team morale. Just to show the slide from grace Solberg scored exactly the same amount of podiums between 06-08 as he did in 2004 alone not to mention less than 03 and 05.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

2008 Mugello 250cc: Marco Simoncelli: For that disgraceful swipe on Hector Barbera with about 200 meters to the finish line
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

2011 Indy 500
James Hinchclif for binning it at the final turn on the final lap of the race

EDIT: it's J.R Hildebrand who trashed it and not Hinchclif
Last edited by roblo97 on 31 Aug 2013, 22:25, edited 1 time in total.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

roblomas52 wrote:2011 Indy 500

I thought that was J.R. Hildebrand who binned it.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:

Oh shite, it was Hildebrand and I stand corrected
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

roblomas52 wrote:
Onxy Wrecked wrote:

Kimball needs to be mentioned also. He "helped" JR in that crash.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Dj_bereta wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:
Onxy Wrecked wrote:I thought that was J.R. Hildebrand who binned it.

Kimball needs to be mentioned also. He "helped" JR in that crash.

The only person at fault for that crash was JR Hildebrand. He had a comfortable lead over Wheldon, at the last corner of the race - he could've just cruised past the line right behind Kimball. There was literally nothing to be gained by lapping Kimball, much less in a rather risky fashion.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Nice avatar! Scott Goodyear in 1993, isn't it?
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Faustus wrote:Nice avatar! Scott Goodyear in 1993, isn't it?
Yep. :D
Trump 2016
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

WRC Monaco 1991: Francois Delacour's Suspension Failed on the last stage just when the then unknown Frenchman was about to beat the then dominant Spaniard Carlos Sainz in one of the biggest upset wins ever
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Rally GB 1998
Toyota engines
Carlos Sainz suffered engine failure 150 meters from the finish line on the final stage of the season, costing him the championship to Tommi Makinen
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

FMecha

Post by FMecha »

roblomas52 wrote:Rally GB 1998
Toyota engines
Carlos Sainz suffered engine failure 150 meters from the finish line on the final stage of the season, costing him the championship to Tommi Makinen

1999, Rob. Do the research. ;)
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Toyota engines

Antti Kalhola's tribute excellent video on that day
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

FMecha wrote:
Toyota engines

1999, Rob. Do the research. ;)

No because Sainz stayed at Toyota in 1999 and I have checked on Wikipedia
Last edited by roblo97 on 02 Sep 2013, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

FMecha wrote:1999, Rob. Do the research. ;)
No, it was 98.
Trump 2016
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

The video I found also said 1998. roblomas52 seems to be very much correct.

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

2013 Advocare 500: Clint Bowyer's engine for belching a puff of white smoke around halfway while leading. Sure I might be biased as a Clint Bowyer fan, but it was a large lead of about eight or nine seconds with what was by far the best car in the field.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Toyota engines

I wonder if that dispirited Carlos for the rest of his career because his 1999 was similar to Webber's 2011 in which he picked up Podiums but never really threatened any Wins or the world title. In fact after that near miss he would only win 4 more rallies and one of those was handed to him after Peugeot got their drivers disqualified and Makinen crashed. I just think that Carlos never really got over that heartbreak

Shizuka wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:WRC Australia 2005: Skippy the Kangeroo: jumped out in front of Petter Solberg's Subaru and caused terminal damage to the Norweigan's car. Considering that all the top guys were eliminated in that rally (Duval and Rovenpera isn't the 1-2 you would predict everyday) Solberg lost a win through no fault of his own

How about the the Fabia WRC's clutch that led to Colin McRae's retirement?

Having just seen the 2005 season review Sebastian Loeb himself deserves a nomination. All the main players retired and yet Loeb was the only one who retired by his own hand while his team-mate Duval who did nothing but crash in the first half of the year took the win.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

WRC Sweden 2002: Subaru Engines Took both Makinen and Solberg out of the running when they were on for strong results because the Engines couldn't stand the cold. Honorable Mentions to Thomas Radstrom who seemed to spend more time in the snowbanks than on the road and for trying to leave his co-driver behind in the Swedish Forests, Skoda Engines for literally failing in the last 2 stages of the day and Ford for robbing Janhe Tuohino of a 5th place finish for Colin Mcrae's benefit.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

WRC Spain 1995: Colin McRae for disobeying team-orders against Carlos Sainz

WRC Greece 2000: Carlos Sainz for disobeying team-orders against Colin McRae
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:WRC Spain 1995: Colin McRae for disobeying team-orders against Carlos Sainz

Sounds more like hero of the race instead of Reject of the Race material if you ask me...
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Cynon wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:WRC Spain 1995: Colin McRae for disobeying team-orders against Carlos Sainz

Sounds more like hero of the race instead of Reject of the Race material if you ask me...

Multi-21!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

WRC 2003 ROTR's

Monte Carlo Subaru; Both cars were out after just 5 stages
Sweden Citroen: Heroes to Zeroes in the space of One Rally
Turkey Marcus Gronholm: Because he wore out his Peugeot he asked to go home
New Zealand Tommi Makinen: Off the pace when he should have been quick and too quick when he should have slowed copping a speeding ticket and time penalty
Argentina The person who told Carlos Sainz to go to service early: Gave Carlos a time penalty handing the win to Gronholm
Greece Markko Martin's bonnet:Tried to deny Marko his maiden Victory to no avail
Cyprus The Peugeot 206: Propshaft broke for Gronholm, Burns had a fuel issue and Rovenpera fell to 2nd with Gearbox problems. Not the best day for the 206
Germany Petter Solberg: For spending more time flying down the escape roads than staying on the right bit of Tarmac
Finland Finland : Gronholm ripped his suspension off, Rovenpera crashed and Makkinen was nowhere in 6th with 2 privateers behind while Estonia won with Martin
Australia Marcus Gronholm: Took a hairpin ridiculously early wedging his 206 at a peculiar angle denting his championship hopes
Italy Subaru: Fuel issue almost cost Solberg the title and Makinen was nowhere down in 10th
France Markko Martin: Crashed out on his own accord ending his title hopes
Spain Sebastian Loeb: Chose the wrong tires for the wet part of the rally handing the win to Panizzi
Great Britain The Police: Denied Marcus Gronholm the chance to get back to service. He knew what he was doing :evil:
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

GP3 2013 Abu Dhabi: Carloz Sainz Jr. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGjcnzqpJ3U
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Dj_bereta wrote:GP3 2013 Abu Dhabi: Carloz Sainz Jr. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGjcnzqpJ3U

Reminded me of Vergne-Kovalainen at Valencia last year....

That move of Sainz's might be the last straw..I don't expect him to be retained by RBJT...
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

wsrgo wrote:
Dj_bereta wrote:GP3 2013 Abu Dhabi: Carloz Sainz Jr. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGjcnzqpJ3U

Reminded me of Vergne-Kovalainen at Valencia last year....

That move of Sainz's might be the last straw..I don't expect him to be retained by RBJT...

Sainz was excluded from race 1 and had to start last for race 2 (which I'm watching live right now),
but I think he should also be awarded a medal for that beautiful 360 he performed.
It was funny how after the 360 he just continued on his merry way, didn't seem fazed at all. :lol:
-*:-
Liquid

Post by Liquid »

These are my Rejects Of The Year. (Do they have their own thread?)

1995 British Touring Car Championship

Alfa Romeo - Now, it would be easy to criticise Prodrive for not building upon Alfa Corse and Ninni Russo's 1994, but quite simply, this was a shocking year for them. Even with the other teams catching up aerodynamically, they were by far the worst works team that year, finishing only above the British Minardi that is Peugeot. Only Toyota also failed to score a podium but 8th place for the defending champions was abysmal.

---

1996 British Touring Car Championship

Roberto Ravaglia - Just... the entire season. Haphazard driving, several obviously deliberate incidents. At the end of his career sure, but much like Johnny Cecotto the previous year, the British series was one series he just didn't get. For those who have seen it, his argument with Paul Radisich at the late Brands Hatch meeting was embarrassing.

---

1997 British Touring Car Championship

Kelvin Burt - Not delivering on his initial promise as seen in 1990, then again in 1995. A dismal year in a good car; comprehensively outclassed by Rydell and making his own S40 look like a Lada.

Ian Hewland - Using a 1993 Vauxhall Cavalier and failing to qualify for the four or five events he managed to enter. Now, here at F1Rejects we love an underdog, but he was way out of his depth. Like tackling urban warfare with a musket and bayonet.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Liquid wrote:Do they have their own thread?

Ja. Here it is.

Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

This isn't motorsport but it sure was rejectworthy

Biathlon Ostersund Mixed Relay Today: Martin Fourcade: A Mixed Relay is made up of 2 women and 2 men in a 4 athlete team and after 3 legs and seven shoots going into the last shoot France had a 1 minute 35 second lead over the rest of the field having used just 3 spare shots. With Martin Fourcade currently the Sebastian Vettel of the sport on the anchor leg with good shooting it should have been finished. However after suffering 3 penalty loops he failed to use all 3 of his spare bullets using only 2 instead. So not only did he throw away victory and cross the line 3rd his team were then docked 2 minutes for his incident and fell to 5th whereas had he used all 8 bullets France would have come a safe 3rd.

And to undermine the sad state of F1 there was more excitment is this one race than in the entire 2013 F1 Season

Here is the shocking calamity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCLl40sE7hQ
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:This isn't motorsport but it sure was rejectworthy

Biathlon Ostersund Mixed Relay Today: Martin Fourcade: A Mixed Relay is made up of 2 women and 2 men in a 4 athlete team and after 3 legs and seven shoots going into the last shoot France had a 1 minute 35 second lead over the rest of the field having used just 3 spare shots. With Martin Fourcade currently the Sebastian Vettel of the sport on the anchor leg with good shooting it should have been finished. However after suffering 3 penalty loops he failed to use all 3 of his spare bullets using only 2 instead. So not only did he throw away victory and cross the line 3rd his team were then docked 2 minutes for his incident and fell to 5th whereas had he used all 8 bullets France would have come a safe 3rd.

And to undermine the sad state of F1 there was more excitment is this one race than in the entire 2013 F1 Season

Here is the shocking calamity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCLl40sE7hQ

I've done some target shooting here and there, and I can tell you that's pretty incompetent stuff.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

We had an shooting range at my school, and as part of Combined Cadet Force, I had to do some shooting in the range once. I was equally as pathetic, hitting the target not even once with about a dozen rounds.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

dr-baker wrote:We had an shooting range at my school, and as part of Combined Cadet Force, I had to do some shooting in the range once. I was equally as pathetic, hitting the target not even once with about a dozen rounds.

We didn't have that, just an archery class. (Which I suck at.) I remember my first try at my dad's Ruger 10/22 at a local gun range when I was about 10. I wasn't that good either. Trying to hit a little spinner 50-75 yards away. It took me awhile, but I got there in the end.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Regarding biathlon, here's my favourite reject moment. Darya Domracheva forgets something...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1H8VCU3xvY
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Bleu wrote:Regarding biathlon, here's my favourite reject moment. Darya Domracheva forgets something...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1H8VCU3xvY

What's worse in 2009 she shot in the wrong position (Standing not Prone) and then in 2010 she suffered the Crossfire both in the Oberhof Mass Start.

However you want lunacy? Florian Graf in Oberhof back in January did this
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

The ultimate in Winter Sports fails and you all know it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPCOin3l8OY
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy