2013 Silly Season Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
TomWazzleshaw

2013 Silly Season Thread

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

"Di Resta 'Obvious Candidate'" says Nick Fry.

There's a young man in Germany called Adrian Sutil who must be kicking himself right now because if it wasn't for that glassing incident, chances are it'd be HIM that's in contention for the seat and not Di Resta.

EDIT: Might as well start the ball rolling for next season with this anyway
Last edited by TomWazzleshaw on 07 Sep 2012, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
DemocalypseNow

Re: Di Resta to Mercedes in 2013? - 2013 Silly Season Thread

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Wizzie wrote:"Di Resta 'Obvious Candidate'" says Nick Fry.

There's a young man in Germany called Adrian Sutil who must be kicking himself right now because if it wasn't for that glassing incident, chances are it'd be HIM that's in contention for the seat and not Di Resta.

I expect Gary Paffett will be kicking himself even more. He has been part of the Mercedes programme for almost a decade and now he will never drive in F1, whereas Di Resta comes along and looks set to finally get an F1 drive out of it.

And tbh even putting Yamamoto in that car next season would be a step up. No wonder Di Resta is favourite.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

I don't agree. Ever since Di Resta came to FI, it was him and not Sutil who was consistently rumoured for a Mercedes drive. And it makes sense, since the Sutil's stock was never been that high in my opinion, not to mention that he is renown for his lack of technical skills while developing a car. The final proof is that, despite his wet weather speed, he was always overlooked by the bigger teams when they were looking for a driver.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

kostas22 wrote:

I expect Gary Paffett will be kicking himself even more. He has been part of the Mercedes programme for almost a decade and now he will never drive in F1, whereas Di Resta comes along and looks set to finally get an F1 drive out of it.

And tbh even putting Yamamoto in that car next season would be a step up. No wonder Di Resta is favourite.

When the world is nothing more than a nuclear wasteland Gary Paffet will still be waiting for a F1 drive.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

kostas22 wrote:

Gary Paffett is a decent driver and should have technical nous aplenty, but I see him as I see Pedro de la Rosa: A solid experienced driver who can gradually bring the car up to speed but still lacks the edge his peers have. The gap that can be found in testing between him and the McLaren racing drivers is usually one second in testing. No wonder he never got the break.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

he is renown for his lack of technical skills while developing a car.

Is there any basis for that? Or is it just passed on bullshit someone on Autosport or wherever made up.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

DanielPT wrote:

I don't agree. Ever since Di Resta came to FI, it was him and not Sutil who was consistently rumoured for a Mercedes drive. And it makes sense, since the Sutil's stock was never been that high in my opinion, not to mention that he is renown for his lack of technical skills while developing a car. The final proof is that, despite his wet weather speed, he was always overlooked by the bigger teams when they were looking for a driver.

I don't think it's that clear cut. Sutil had the exact same problem Rosberg had up to this year (and arguably still does). That problem being Rosberg and Sutil have both been saddled with either average machinery or average teammates for virtually their entire F1 careers (Except for Sutil last year) and, for the most part, the gaps between teammates has usually been so big that there's no real benchmark that anybody can take from it. 2009 for Rosberg was a classic case of that point because the gap between him and Nakajima was usually so big that one couldn't quite figure out if Nakajima was under-performing or Rosberg was dragging far more out of the car than anyone thought possible..
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

DanielPT wrote:
kostas22 wrote:

Gary Paffett is a decent driver and should have technical nous aplenty, but I see him as I see Pedro de la Rosa: A solid experienced driver who can gradually bring the car up to speed but still lacks the edge his peers have. The gap that can be found in testing between him and the McLaren racing drivers is usually one second in testing. No wonder he never got the break.

Funnily enough, Paffett's probably Marussia's best bet for moving up the grid now that McLaren have got that technical partnership going and everything because I can't help but feel Glock's pretty much given up.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

jackanderton wrote:
he is renown for his lack of technical skills while developing a car.

Is there any basis for that? Or is it just passed on bullshit someone on Autosport or wherever made up.

The basis for that is what several journalists hear in the paddock (you can read that in Autosport, BBC, Joe Saward, etc). Since I don't know anyone inside F1 paddock at the moment and have no reason to say that it is 'bullshit' or a conspiration from the media against Sutil, I will keep that view.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Wizzie wrote:
DanielPT wrote:

I don't think it's that clear cut. Sutil had the exact same problem Rosberg had up to this year (and arguably still does). That problem being Rosberg and Sutil have both been saddled with either average machinery or average teammates for virtually their entire F1 careers (Except for Sutil last year) and, for the most part, the gaps between teammates has usually been so big that there's no real benchmark that anybody can take from it. 2009 for Rosberg was a classic case of that point because the gap between him and Nakajima was usually so big that one couldn't quite figure out if Nakajima was under-performing or Rosberg was dragging far more out of the car than anyone thought possible..

Not quite. In the early years, yes, that might have been the case, but then when he was pitted against Fisichella and lost, certainly those doubts disappeared. Also, I think receiving such trouncing at the hands of Hamilton so early in his career might have marked him as journeyman.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Wizzie wrote:
DanielPT wrote:
kostas22 wrote:I expect Gary Paffett will be kicking himself even more. He has been part of the Mercedes programme for almost a decade and now he will never drive in F1, whereas Di Resta comes along and looks set to finally get an F1 drive out of it.

Funnily enough, Paffett's probably Marussia's best bet for moving up the grid now that McLaren have got that technical partnership going and everything because I can't help but feel Glock's pretty much given up.

That, I agree. Paffett can make it work like De la Rosa is trying to do for HRT. I also feel Glock's motivation isn't there, unfortunately.
Last edited by DanielPT on 21 May 2012, 12:03, edited 2 times in total.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I completely understand if Glock's lost motivation. He knows he should be in a top-6 team, and so does everyone else. I can see that maybe he underestimated the task of developing a team from the ground up, and probably feels he should be challenging for points at most races.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Wizzie wrote:the gaps between teammates has usually been so big that there's no real benchmark that anybody can take from it. 2009 for Rosberg was a classic case of that point because the gap between him and Nakajima was usually so big that one couldn't quite figure out if Nakajima was under-performing or Rosberg was dragging far more out of the car than anyone thought possible..

I think it was a mix of both. Rosberg was out-performing the car whilst Nakajima was under-performing.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

If Glock does leave the team, Gary Paffett should be ideal for Marussia for all his technical nous. As for di Resta going to Mercedes, I think he deserves it. His debut season was very good, and this year he's also doing a very good job despite the limitations of his machine. Mercedes could go a lot worse than him.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Who will be replacing Felipe Massa at Ferrari?

Barring a miraculous turn-around, it seems inevitable that Felipe Massa and Ferrari will be parting company at the end of the season. The lead candidate to replace him is Sergio Pérez, but Pérez is still a little inexperienced and so far has only had one good race. If he had not had his accident, Robert Kubica would presumably be in the frame, but I think it is unlikely we will see him in a Formula One car again, let alone in a Ferrari. If Pérez does get the job he will be the least experienced driver to land a Ferrari seat since Eddie Irvine. Other drivers coming from top teams, such as Jenson Button or Nico Rosberg, are unlikely in my opinion, with the exception of Mark Webber, who must realise his time at Red Bull is coming to an end, and therefore might decide to jump to Ferrari before his is pushed to retirement. The seat at Ferrari would probably only give him two seasons at most, while Pérez gains experience, but he is experienced, has a decent relationship with Fernando Alonso (I am led to believe), and would therefore make a reliable number two. In my mind though, Pérez is still the most likely.

If Sergio Pérez joins Ferrari, who will replace him at Sauber?

Sauber's current test driver is Esteban Gutiérrez. The Mexican driver might help secure Sauber's Telmex sponsorship, and he is a promising youngster, having won the inaugural season of GP3 Series - though his performances so far in GP2 Series this season have been a little disappointing. Ferrari might place Jules Bianchi at Sauber in order to evaluate him in Formula One, as part of their engine deal with Sauber, but I don't think they will, as Bianchi has disappointed since storming Formula 3 Euro Series in 2009, and he could well be dropped from the Ferrari Driver Academy. Jaime Alguersuari or Lucas di Grassi are possibilities, thanks to their roles as Pirelli's test drivers, or perhaps Sauber would prefer a Swiss driver and plump for Sébastien Buemi. It is possible that Felipe Massa will be swapped, and will end up driving for Sauber next season, but I am not sure that Sauber would want him, or that he would want to drive for Sauber, so perhaps retirement is on the cards for Massa. In my mind, Alguersuari or Buemi are most likely, with outside chances for Gutiérrez and di Grassi.

Will Michael Schumacher retire (again)?

In the third year of a three year contract, 43 years old, and with only 2 points to show for 2012 so far, signs would seem to point to Michael Schumacher retiring again, with a cushy job as Mercedes brand ambassador awaiting, and as much DTM as he can eat. If Schumacher does retire, then his replacement at Mercedes will most likely be Paul di Resta or Nico Hülkenberg. In di Resta's favour is his long service as a Mercedes driver and some not awful performances in Force India. In Hülkenberg's favour is his being German, his manager, being younger than di Resta, and some not awful performances in Williams and Force India. At the moment, di Resta seems the favoured one, and given that he's quite dull, he seems perfect for Mercedes.

Who will drive for Force India if one of their drivers replace Michael Schumacher?

At the moment Force India's test driver is Jules Bianchi. He would appear to be the leading candidate to get a seat at Force India, much as di Resta and Hülkenberg did after a season testing for Force India. The only things counting against him are the fact that he is a Ferrari driver (at the moment), while Force India are a Mercedes-powered team with a technical link up with McLaren, and that he's a bit of a crasher. If Mercedes or McLaren wanted to, I presume they could buy seats for their drivers, but I don't see Gary Paffett or Oliver Turvey getting the seat, which leaves Mercedes' drivers - Sam Bird, Christian Vietoris, Robert Wickens and Roberto Merhi. All of them would be decent additions to the F1 grid (less so in the case of Bird, but you take what you can get), and should be counted as possibilities. There's always the potential for a surprise too, like Adrian Sutil coming back, or Narain Karthikeyan (though Vijay Mallya is supposedly not keen on any of the current leading Indian drivers), or Felipe Massa.

Will Mark Webber be leaving Red Bull?

Although Mark Webber's time at Red Bull does seem to be coming to an end, and Daniel Ricciardo and Jean-Éric Vergne are making their case to replace Webber, I think he's probably got another season in him. The only thing I can see stopping him from being at Red Bull next season is if he gets a contract offer from Ferrari. If he were to leave, it won't be anyone else except Ricciardo or Vergne replacing him, but I think Webber will stay put.

If Webber is replaced by a Toro Rosso driver, who joins Toro Rosso?

Assuming he doesn't disgrace himself in Formula Renault 3.5 this year, Lewis Williamson. If not him, then Carlos Sainz, Jr.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Who will be replacing Felipe Massa at Ferrari?

Barring a miraculous turn-around, it seems inevitable that Felipe Massa and Ferrari will be parting company at the end of the season. The lead candidate to replace him is Sergio Pérez, but Pérez is still a little inexperienced and so far has only had one good race. If he had not had his accident, Robert Kubica would presumably be in the frame, but I think it is unlikely we will see him in a Formula One car again, let alone in a Ferrari. If Pérez does get the job he will be the least experienced driver to land a Ferrari seat since Eddie Irvine. Other drivers coming from top teams, such as Jenson Button or Nico Rosberg, are unlikely in my opinion, with the exception of Mark Webber, who must realise his time at Red Bull is coming to an end, and therefore might decide to jump to Ferrari before his is pushed to retirement. The seat at Ferrari would probably only give him two seasons at most, while Pérez gains experience, but he is experienced, has a decent relationship with Fernando Alonso (I am led to believe), and would therefore make a reliable number two. In my mind though, Pérez is still the most likely.

I don't think Ferrari is very keen on signing Mark Webber. He's aged and his last season was average. So is this season for him. Besides, all this "Webber to Ferrari" talking is only rumours so far.

If Sergio Pérez joins Ferrari, who will replace him at Sauber?

Sauber's current test driver is Esteban Gutiérrez. The Mexican driver might help secure Sauber's Telmex sponsorship, and he is a promising youngster, having won the inaugural season of GP3 Series - though his performances so far in GP2 Series this season have been a little disappointing. Ferrari might place Jules Bianchi at Sauber in order to evaluate him in Formula One, as part of their engine deal with Sauber, but I don't think they will, as Bianchi has disappointed since storming Formula 3 Euro Series in 2009, and he could well be dropped from the Ferrari Driver Academy. Jaime Alguersuari or Lucas di Grassi are possibilities, thanks to their roles as Pirelli's test drivers, or perhaps Sauber would prefer a Swiss driver and plump for Sébastien Buemi. It is possible that Felipe Massa will be swapped, and will end up driving for Sauber next season, but I am not sure that Sauber would want him, or that he would want to drive for Sauber, so perhaps retirement is on the cards for Massa. In my mind, Alguersuari or Buemi are most likely, with outside chances for Gutiérrez and di Grassi.

Esteban Gutiérrez seems by far the most likely candidate to fill in the vacated seat Pérez could leave at Sauber. That, and the fact he's both a Ferrari protegé and brings the Telmex sponsorship with him, are the reasons. Jules Bianchi seems like he could end up at Force India. Neither Alguersuari nor di Grassi (WTF?) seem in the frame either. Felipe Massa will head straight into retirement as soon as he leaves Ferrari.

Will Michael Schumacher retire (again)?

In the third year of a three year contract, 43 years old, and with only 2 points to show for 2012 so far, signs would seem to point to Michael Schumacher retiring again, with a cushy job as Mercedes brand ambassador awaiting, and as much DTM as he can eat. If Schumacher does retire, then his replacement at Mercedes will most likely be Paul di Resta or Nico Hülkenberg. In di Resta's favour is his long service as a Mercedes driver and some not awful performances in Force India. In Hülkenberg's favour is his being German, his manager, being younger than di Resta, and some not awful performances in Williams and Force India. At the moment, di Resta seems the favoured one, and given that he's quite dull, he seems perfect for Mercedes.

I can realistically see him signing for one more sseason before retiring if he feels he underachieved this season. He seems as hungry for success as ever. Should he retire ( nee when he retires), Paul di Resta will replace him, surely.

Who will drive for Force India if one of their drivers replace Michael Schumacher?

At the moment Force India's test driver is Jules Bianchi. He would appear to be the leading candidate to get a seat at Force India, much as di Resta and Hülkenberg did after a season testing for Force India. The only things counting against him are the fact that he is a Ferrari driver (at the moment), while Force India are a Mercedes-powered team with a technical link up with McLaren, and that he's a bit of a crasher. If Mercedes or McLaren wanted to, I presume they could buy seats for their drivers, but I don't see Gary Paffett or Oliver Turvey getting the seat, which leaves Mercedes' drivers - Sam Bird, Christian Vietoris, Robert Wickens and Roberto Merhi. All of them would be decent additions to the F1 grid (less so in the case of Bird, but you take what you can get), and should be counted as possibilities. There's always the potential for a surprise too, like Adrian Sutil coming back, or Narain Karthikeyan (though Vijay Mallya is supposedly not keen on any of the current leading Indian drivers), or Felipe Massa.

Probably Jules Bianchi, on the basis that Liuzzi, di Resta and Hülkenberg all got to drive for the team from the test and reserve driver position. Robert Wickens seems the most likely to get a drive with the team in a future, but not next season or in 2014. Neither Bird nor Vietoris seem F1 material.

Will Mark Webber be leaving Red Bull?

Although Mark Webber's time at Red Bull does seem to be coming to an end, and Daniel Ricciardo and Jean-Éric Vergne are making their case to replace Webber, I think he's probably got another season in him. The only thing I can see stopping him from being at Red Bull next season is if he gets a contract offer from Ferrari. If he were to leave, it won't be anyone else except Ricciardo or Vergne replacing him, but I think Webber will stay put.

Neither Ricciardo nor Vergne seem to be doing enough to impress the Red Bull hierarchy, especially the former. They should have plumped for Alguersuari instead of sending him to the dole queue.

Assuming he doesn't disgrace himself in Formula Renault 3.5 this year, Lewis Williamson. If not him, then Carlos Sainz, Jr.

I agree.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Phoenix wrote:

I agree.

Me too. I only want to add, though, that, with this kind of performances from the current STR drivers, it won't be long enough before they will start to feel the heat of having to lend their car to one of these drivers in Friday FP's.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Phoenix wrote:I don't think Ferrari is very keen on signing Mark Webber. He's aged and his last season was average. So is this season for him. Besides, all this "Webber to Ferrari" talking is only rumours so far.

Probably true, but he's the only driver currently at a top team who has been rumoured to go to Ferrari who I can see actually accepting an offer.

Phoenix wrote:Esteban Gutiérrez seems by far the most likely candidate to fill in the vacated seat Pérez could leave at Sauber. That, and the fact he's both a Ferrari protegé and brings the Telmex sponsorship with him, are the reasons. Jules Bianchi seems like he could end up at Force India. Neither Alguersuari nor di Grassi (WTF?) seem in the frame either. Felipe Massa will head straight into retirement as soon as he leaves Ferrari.

The only problem with Gutiérrez is that he's currently having an average (by comparison to expectations) season in GP2, but he is still very young. He doesn't have any links to Ferrari though. Lucas di Grassi is currently a Pirelli test driver, and Peter Sauber has made more than his share of head-scratching driver decisions in the past (Pedro de la Rosa for one), and di Grassi's a good driver who can give intelligent input to the mechanics.

Phoenix wrote:Probably Jules Bianchi, on the basis that Liuzzi, di Resta and Hülkenberg all got to drive for the team from the test and reserve driver position. Robert Wickens seems the most likely to get a drive with the team in a future, but not next season or in 2014. Neither Bird nor Vietoris seem F1 material.

I think Wickens could handle F1 if he got a seat, he's Formula Renault 3.5 champion and a DTM driver now. Bird hopefully isn't good enough, but maybe for some reason Mercedes would want him in F1? Maybe he'll win Formula Renault 3.5 and I'll reassess his ability though. Vietoris is all right, worse drivers have made it to F1.

Phoenix wrote:Neither Ricciardo nor Vergne seem to be doing enough to impress the Red Bull hierarchy, especially the former. They should have plumped for Alguersuari instead of sending him to the dole queue.

I guess there's a slim possibility for Buemi too, seeing as he's still their test driver. I think the Red Bull hierarchy like Vergne at the moment, but given the statement of...was it Marko or Mateschitz? - that Alguersuari and Buemi didn't do enough, it seems Red Bull want the Toro Rosso pair to challenge for wins, and the car's just not capable. But Wibbah's not going to be around forever, so who is going to replace him?
The Iceman Waiteth
TheBigJ

Post by TheBigJ »

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Hamilton quitting McLaren yet. They've probably already cost him the world title and he can walk away from his contract if they don't win the constructors this year. I reckon he'll replace Webber at Red Bull.

Who would replace him at McLaren? Di Resta?
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

TheBigJ wrote:I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Hamilton quitting McLaren yet. They've probably already cost him the world title and he can walk away from his contract if they don't win the constructors this year. I reckon he'll replace Webber at Red Bull.

That's a difficult question, since di Resta could well fit in McLaren as well. Perhaps Vettel could be tempted to leave Red Bull?
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Phoenix wrote:
TheBigJ wrote:I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Hamilton quitting McLaren yet. They've probably already cost him the world title and he can walk away from his contract if they don't win the constructors this year. I reckon he'll replace Webber at Red Bull.

That's a difficult question, since di Resta could well fit in McLaren as well. Perhaps Vettel could be tempted to leave Red Bull?

I think that is unlikely. I mean, why leave a team where he is the king and very well protected and have been given a championship challenger car every year (though perhaps not this one)? Even if Hamilton comes I can imagine Vettel has the ego big enough to want to pit himself against Hamilton and prove he is the quickest.

Hamilton, I imagine, would in turn be fed up of losing points and chances due to the ineptitude of his team. But then again, where would he go? Alonso is at Ferrari, Vettel might block him from Red Bull and the point of the Red Bull driver convey would be lost then, Mercedes have yet to come up with a title challenger and Toleman doesn't have the money. I think not much will change for the top teams next year other than Massa leaving Ferrari and maybe Schumi retiring.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

DanielPT wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

I think that is unlikely. I mean, why leave a team where he is the king and very well protected and have been given a championship challenger car every year (though perhaps not this one)? Even if Hamilton comes I can imagine Vettel has the ego big enough to want to pit himself against Hamilton and prove he is the quickest.

Hamilton, I imagine, would in turn be fed up of losing points and chances due to the ineptitude of his team. But then again, where would he go? Alonso is at Ferrari, Vettel might block him from Red Bull and the point of the Red Bull driver convey would be lost then, Mercedes have yet to come up with a title challenger and Toleman doesn't have the money. I think not much will change for the top teams next year other than Massa leaving Ferrari and maybe Schumi retiring.

Hey, I was trying to come up with an answer to a difficult question! :P
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Phoenix wrote:
DanielPT wrote:
Phoenix wrote:That's a difficult question, since di Resta could well fit in McLaren as well. Perhaps Vettel could be tempted to leave Red Bull?

Hey, I was trying to come up with an answer to a difficult question! :P

Yes, sorry for having destroyed your attempt. Trying myself to answer that and following the reasoning behind signing Jenson Button, the one where McLaren always try to sign the two best drivers out there (or available ones and excluding Hamilton, because he is hypothetically leaving). So, besides Di Resta, who might be available? Mark Webber could be within a shout. After him, I can't see Rosberg leaving Mercedes (it is a personal bet over there) nor can I see them trying to bring back Raikkonen. Would McLaren want Schumacher? And would Schumacher want McLaren? Can't see that relationship work despite, in marketing levels being very good for the team. Back down the grid there is not much to pick from. Or there is it? I, for one, would like to see Kobayashi at McLaren. ;)
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Source? :o
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

I don't think Hamilton will leave McLaren.
The Iceman Waiteth
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

FMecha wrote:

Source? :o

*facepalm*

It was only an hypothesis put forward by TheBigJ, FMecha. We were just speculating on that.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Not the rantbox, I know, but I find it incredibly frustrating when a highly overrated driver such as di Resta is putting on little more than average performances since his debut, and is lining up for a top drive, when there are more deserving drivers out there.

Why won't a top team finally throw Sutil a bone?
"The FIA's implementation of penalties is about as effective as that of the English football team."
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Peter wrote:Not the rantbox, I know, but I find it incredibly frustrating when a highly overrated driver such as di Resta is putting on little more than average performances since his debut, and is lining up for a top drive, when there are more deserving drivers out there.

Why won't a top team finally throw Sutil a bone?

I hear there was a top team giving him serious consideration - then he attacked their owner. :oops:
The Iceman Waiteth
cbbcisace

Post by cbbcisace »

We need to ask the Q:

Who to replace Narain at HRT for the whole 2013 season, thats if he is not replaced before... :lol:
HRT - who else would you support :P
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

DanielPT wrote:
Yes, sorry for having destroyed your attempt. Trying myself to answer that and following the reasoning behind signing Jenson Button, the one where McLaren always try to sign the two best drivers out there (or available ones and excluding Hamilton, because he is hypothetically leaving). So, besides Di Resta, who might be available? Mark Webber could be within a shout. After him, I can't see Rosberg leaving Mercedes (it is a personal bet over there) nor can I see them trying to bring back Raikkonen. Would McLaren want Schumacher? And would Schumacher want McLaren? Can't see that relationship work despite, in marketing levels being very good for the team. Back down the grid there is not much to pick from. Or there is it? I, for one, would like to see Kobayashi at McLaren. ;)

I don't see at all Webber (or Kobayashi, sadly) at McLaren. Nico Rosberg would be another fine bet, especially if he can repeat his 2010 form. Schumacher at McLaren might be the equivalent of Mansell 1995 :lol:
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

cbbcisace wrote:We need to ask the Q:

Who to replace Narain at HRT for the whole 2013 season, thats if he is not replaced before... :lol:

Dani Behr - good on the Big Breakfast? Danii Minogue - was engaged to Jacques Villeneuve but broke it off, so has already shown good judgement when it comes to F1? Danny Glover - probably too old for this...stuff?

Or maybe...Dani Clos.
The Iceman Waiteth
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

cbbcisace wrote:We need to ask the Q:

Anybody who has a decent wad of cash that can get a Superlicense! :lol:
"If you don't like it, overtake or f**k off!"- Niki Lauda responding to complaints of his Brabham BT46 'fan car" throwing debris in drivers' faces.
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

Phoenix wrote:I don't see at all Webber (or Kobayashi, sadly) at McLaren. Nico Rosberg would be another fine bet, especially if he can repeat his 2010 form. Schumacher at McLaren might be the equivalent of Mansell 1995 :lol:

At least Schumacher would fit in the car :lol:
"If you don't like it, overtake or f**k off!"- Niki Lauda responding to complaints of his Brabham BT46 'fan car" throwing debris in drivers' faces.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Backmarker wrote:Danii Minogue - was engaged to Jacques Villeneuve but broke it off

Even so, I now have the horrifying image in my head of Jacques Villeneuve and Ralf Schumacher holding hands, skipping happily through the cornfields. I think I've been reading The F1 Slate too much...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

WARNING - LONG POST:

Firstly, Di Resta to Mercedes has been flying around since he started in Formula 1 last year, and in essence, it wouldn't be a bad move. He's clearly got the speed to compete near the front and has a long-standing relationship with Mercedes since his DTM days. There might be other drivers out there that could do a better job, but there's no-one I can think of who's more 'connected' to Merc than him. The second Mercedes seat will no doubt be taken by Rosberg again, with Michael Shhumacher going into retirement again. I just can't see him wanting to stay on any more, especially if his season continues the way it has.
That leaves a space at Force India, which will no doubt be taken by Jules Bianchi, despite his Ferrari connections. Liuzzi, Di Resta and now Hulkenberg have spent a year testing before moving up to a race seat and I can't see that changing anytime soon. As for the second seat, Hulkenberg looks to have that secured for the forseeable future, barring any big problems (off-track problems, massive drop in performance etc).

Mercedes: Di Resta and Rosberg
Force India: Bianchi and Hulkenberg

Moving onto the top teams, Vettel remains at Red Bull, Button likewise at McLaren and Alonso at Ferrari. I very much doubt these three will move to other teams for several years. Red Bull and Ferrari build the team completely around Vettel and Alonso respectively, and McLaren have taken to Button in a way Hamilton wanted them to do to him. As for Hamilton, leaving McLaren would be a very silly thing to do, as he would struggle to find a competitive car anywhere else. Would Vettel be happy with Hamilton going to Red Bull? I very much doubt it. And with Alonso at Ferrari? Oh no no no.
So where would Hamilton go? Force India? Sauber?! There's nowhere else for him if he wants to remain at the very front and compete for wins. Hamilton mate, shut your mouth when your pissed off and stay at Mclaren. After everything they've done for you, you owe them a second title.
Massa will leave Ferrari, there's no denying that. Only a complete turnaround in the next 5-6 races will see him stay at the Scuderia, and let's be honest, it's not going to happen. Shame really, I've never really liked Massa, but it's still painful to see him the way he is. Where will he go? One word answer sadly, retirement. So who replaces him? One word answer again, Perez.
And who to replace Webber at Red Bull? Well, if Webber does indeed leave at the end of the year (and I do doubt this), Red Bull have about a third of the world's population in the 'development' scheme. So take your pick. Buemi is the team's official test-driver, so he would no doubt be the favourite.

Red Bull: Vettel and Beumi(maybe)
Ferrari: Alonso and Perez
McLaren: Button and Hamilton

Lotus? I doubt very much either Raikkonen or Grosjean would leave. After all the little problems the team has gone through in recent seasons, they've now got two solid drivers, a solid base to work with and a very competitive car. No change here.
Sauber will no doubt keep Kobayashi again, but his star is fading slightly if he turns into a 'seasoned Sauber driver'. Maybe a fresh atmosphere would do him good. I've heard rumours before about Kobayashi going to Ferrari and although I'd love to see that, in reality it's very doubtful. Leaving Sauber for someone like Force India, Toro Rosso or even the straight-laced Williams guys would be nothing more than a sideways step, even taking Maldonado's win into account. Partnering Sauber would probably be Gutierrez.

Lotus: Raikkonen and Grosjean
Sauber: Kobayashi and Gutierrez

Toro Rosso? Who knows. We saw last year how ruthless they can be with dumping both Buemi and Alguersuari, so the same may happen again this (or next) year. Neither Ricciardo or Vergne have set the F1 would alight with any sort of performances, but we saw last year how quickly that can change (read: Alguersuari). It's only been 5 races and both are still pretty raw. Ask me again after Germany.
Williams. Maldonado's seat seems pretty safe after that win. Plus money from PDVSA (I've heard it's around $46million!) will keep the team together. It would be silly to dump him now. The second seat isn't that secure sadly, although I'd love Senna to stay.

Toro Rosso: Probably Vergne and Ricciardo again
Williams: Maldondo and?

As for the backmarkers, Caterham will no doubt keep both Kovalainen and Petrov. Especially as the former has put in some pretty decent performances for a team that despite their early-season predictions, are still at the pace of 2010. How long Glock will stay at Marussia will remain to be seen, but he must be getting bored of it all. They never seem to go anywhere, just ahead of HRT but a good second, sometimes more, behind Caterham. As for HRT? Anyone with money it seems. Although I'd like to see PDLR stay one more year. He's the kind of driver HRT have been desperate for and must keep him.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

AdrianSutil wrote:And who to replace Webber at Red Bull? Well, if Webber does indeed leave at the end of the year (and I do doubt this), Red Bull have about a third of the world's population in the 'development' scheme. So take your pick. Buemi is the team's official test-driver, so he would no doubt be the favourite.

Red Bull: Vettel and Beumi(maybe)

I don't think Buemi being test driver makes him favourite - if the team rated him, they would have kept him in Toro Rosso getting regular race experience. Anyway, at the moment, Webber's staying.

Red Bull: Vettel and Webber

AdrianSutil wrote:Williams. Maldonado's seat seems pretty safe after that win. Plus money from PDVSA (I've heard it's around $46million!) will keep the team together. It would be silly to dump him now. The second seat isn't that secure sadly, although I'd love Senna to stay.

Williams: Maldondo and?

If Williams wanted to get shot of Maldonado and keep the PDVSA money, they'd have to hire another Venezuelan driver. The leading lights of Venezuela in GP2 are Johnny Cecotto, Jr. (rubbish), Rodolfo González (rubbish), and Giancarlo Serenelli (so slow he's almost static). So Maldonado's safe. Senna is not so safe, and I would say is keeping the seat warm for Valtteri Bottas, who is a far better driver.

Williams: Maldonado and Bottas

AdrianSutil wrote:As for the backmarkers, Caterham will no doubt keep both Kovalainen and Petrov. Especially as the former has put in some pretty decent performances for a team that despite their early-season predictions, are still at the pace of 2010. How long Glock will stay at Marussia will remain to be seen, but he must be getting bored of it all. They never seem to go anywhere, just ahead of HRT but a good second, sometimes more, behind Caterham. As for HRT? Anyone with money it seems. Although I'd like to see PDLR stay one more year. He's the kind of driver HRT have been desperate for and must keep him.

I agree, Caterham unchanged. Glock either has to stay at Marussia and try and score a point, any point, or go to DTM (BMW have a team now, he's an ex-BMW driver...) in my opinion. Marussia haven't shown any loyalty to their other second drivers, but unlike di Grassi and d'Ambrosio Custard, Pic has a big wallet which will probably save him the seat. HRT are wild cards, I wouldn't put it past them hiring Diniz if he brought his Grupo Pão de Açúcar money with him. If they were making predictable decisions, de la Rosa and Clos. If they were making good decisions, de la Rosa and Alguersuari. But maybe they won't even have a team next year.

Caterham: Kovalainen and Petrov
Marussia: Glock and Pic
HRT: de la Rosa and Clos?
The Iceman Waiteth
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

It woudn't justify the name 'Silly' season if some outlandish claims weren't made!

RED BULL RACING RENAULT
#1 Pastor Maldonado
#2 Sebastian Vettel

VODAFONE MCLAREN MERCEDES
#3 Jenson Button
#4 Nico Rosberg

CAISSE D'EPARGNE MECACHROME
#5 Kimi Raikkonen
#6 Romain Grosjean

AMG MERCEDES F1 TEAM
#7 Michael Schumacher
#8 Paul di Resta

WILLIAMS F1 TEAM
#9 Lewis Hamilton
#10 Mark Webber

SCUDERIA FERRARI
#11 Fernando Alonso
#12 Sergio Perez

SAUBER FERRARI
#14 Kamui Kobayashi
#15 Esteban Gutiérrez

SAHARA FORCE INDIA MERCEDES
#16 Nico Hulkenberg
#17 Heikki Kovalainen

SCUDERIA TORO ROSSO FERRARI
#18 Jean-Eric Vergne
#19 Carlos Sainz Jr

CATERHAM RENAULT
#20 Nick Heidfeld
#21 Vitaly Petrov

BBVA RACING RENAULT
#22 Pedro De La Rosa
#23 Giedo van der Garde

MARUSSIA MERCEDES
#24 Jaime Alguersuari
#25 Luiz Razia

Aww yeah. :D
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Pamphlet

Post by Pamphlet »

Actually, Buemi replacing Webber sounds...fairly normal to me. Toro Rosso only had poor cars during his time with them, and Alguersuari didn't exactly seem impressive either. Remains to be seen if Webber underperforms again this year though.

My hunch:
Red Bull: Vettel, Buemi
McLaren: Button, Kobayashi/Hamilton/Paffett/Turvey.......okay, wow, this one's hard. I don't see Hamilton staying, yet I also can't find a replacement for him. Worse yet, I can't see where he would go.
Ferrari: Alonso, Kubica/Perez/Massa. Kubica is the strongest of the 3 at the moment (as much as I hate to admit it), but his return is looking more and more unlikely.
Mercedes: Schumacher, Rosberg. I don't see Michael leaving until the advent of the new regulations. He's hungry.
Lotus: Raikkonen, Grosjean/Hamilton/Massa/Kovalainen. Grosjean's easily the most likely option, but if he underperforms I wouldn't be surprised to see them consider a better option in the form of Hamilton. Massa has some ties as well.
Force India: Di Resta and Bianchi. Sorry, but I don't see Hulk lasting past this season. I know he's been unlucky, but I don't see his team as being a kind&understanding one.
Sauber: Gutierrez, Massa/Perez/Hamilton. Massa is the most likely bet here, considering he's underperforming at Ferrari and that old man Peter would like to have him back. I don't see Kobayashi staying and I don't see Massa retiring from F1.
Williams: Maldonado, Bottas. For obvious reasons. Bruno is shite.
Toro Rosso: Ricciardo, Vergne. Vergne stated that they're not fighting for a RB drive yet, and Mateschitz would rather see them continue to improve before promoting them.
Caterham: Petrov, Kovalainen/Razia. Surprisingly tough choice - Caterham are underperforming, and Heikki said that this would be his last season with them if they didn't at least catch Toro Rosso.
Marussia: Pic, Wickens/Liuzzi/Paffett. Glock's heading smack dab into retirement, and fast.
Sticking his neck on the line, one post at a time. Oh, and Singapore is still better than Monaco.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

I don't think Razia will end up at Caterham now they've dropped him and have Giedo van der Garde's rumoured 12 million of fashion money waiting for the seat.
The Iceman Waiteth
Pamphlet

Post by Pamphlet »

Backmarker wrote:I don't think Razia will end up at Caterham now they've dropped him and have Giedo van der Garde's rumoured 12 million of fashion money waiting for the seat.

Razia's shown much more promise than vdG though. Even with the wad of cash, I don't see Giedo ever entering F1.
Sticking his neck on the line, one post at a time. Oh, and Singapore is still better than Monaco.