The _TCC Series Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
madmark1974

Re: The _TCC Series Thread

Post by madmark1974 »

Samster wrote:Just seen on Team HARD's facebook page that Jack Goff will be racing in BTCC this season after all in place of Mike Bushell.

Elsewhere Speedworks have revealed their livery for their new Corolla and its dreadful. :mrgreen:
https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2019 ... e-sponsor/

I found this line to be particularly amusing:

Team Principal Christian Dick drew parallels between the BTCC and pasty making
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Samster wrote:Elsewhere Speedworks have revealed their livery for their new Corolla and its dreadful.:mrgreen:

Given the sponsor I have an overwhelming urge to spray 'Cock Piss Partridge' on the side of that.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

madmark1974 wrote:
Samster wrote:Elsewhere Speedworks have revealed their livery for their new Corolla and its dreadful. :mrgreen:

I found this line to be particularly amusing:

Team Principal Christian Dick drew parallels between the BTCC and pasty making

Been spending most his life, living in a Ginster's Paradise...

Personally, I am disappointed that Mat Jackson hasn't made it back to the BTCC. Although, according to the omnipotent Wikipedia,:

He most recently competed in the British Touring Car Championship with Motorbase Performance, for whom he drove for eight seasons before his contract was terminated in February 2018. Throughout his 2018 sabbatical, Jackson started to look at the sport differently and aside from a one off event in Britcar, Jackson has become uninterested in further pursuing a motorsport career.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Barbazza wrote:
Samster wrote:Elsewhere Speedworks have revealed their livery for their new Corolla and its dreadful.:mrgreen:

That's a shame. Maybe money has always been a struggle?
Given the sponsor I have an overwhelming urge to spray 'Cock Piss Partridge' on the side of that.
Samster

Post by Samster »

Qualifying at Brands Hatch and the impossible has happened. BMR's Subaru is finally fast at the start of the year and Sutton is on pole. Championship over already. :lol: Or is the bigger surprise Plato making the front row in his first race back in FWD? Final proof that he can't handle RWD or that Collard can't handle FWD as he's down in 16th? :lol:

And as expected, Blundell is pnowhere. 2 seconds off at Brands Hatch Indy!

And I just saw this tweet from Plato to BMR after he pulled into their pit box.

'Just popped by in the hope of getting paid, which true to form, proved to be a wasted journey.'
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Amazingly, the top teams have learnt NOTHING from a year ago. A wet/dry race, yet WSR, BMR and Dynamics put all their drivers on wets and it blew up in their faces big time. WSR probably should take ROTR here, they could have easily put Oliphant on slicks as a low-risk strategy. :facepalm:

Incredible race though, we ended up with Jake Hill 2nd, Bobby Thompson 6th, Stephen Jelley 7th, Michael Crees 12th and Mark bathplug Blundell 14th. BTCC is back! :dance:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Samster

Post by Samster »

Fun fact, Stephen Jelley scored more points in the first race of the season than he did in the previous two seasons combined. And two races in Team Parker has scored more points than in their first four seasons in the BTCC combined. Shows just how pathetic this team had been till now. :P
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Never seen fog as thick linger for as long as I did this morning here at Brands. It was no surprise that the first two races got postponed to later in the day.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Samster

Post by Samster »

Chilton wins the final race but he's joined on the podium by both Butcher and Jelley! The latter made a demon start from 6th and led the first quarter of the race. What a turnaround from last season.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Stephen Jelley is now 3rd in the championship, with the smallest team in the field. Let that sink in. Excellent weekends for him and Jake Hill, who would've bet they'd be able to hold their own in the top 10 all day. Really, everyone apart from the MGs and half of Team HARD look like regular points contenders this year.

I think Ollie Jackson deserves overall Reject of the Weekend honours, every time he was on screen he was either off-track or carrying damage. With Chilton already looking like a title contender he's going to need a rear gunner and Ollie simply isn't good enough.

Utter horrorshow for Power Maxed, Cammish (where was he all day?!) and Tordoff (must've smashed another mirror during pre-season, such is his luck).
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

East Londoner wrote:Stephen Jelley is now 3rd in the championship, with the smallest team in the field. Let that sink in.

The older 1-series did better than the new 3-series!

Samster wrote:Chilton wins the final race but he's joined on the podium by both Butcher and Jelley! The latter made a demon start from 6th and led the first quarter of the race. What a turnaround from last season.

Although Chilton did get a time penalty for punting Neal, so Butcher and Chilton have swapped places in the classification.
MCard LOLA
Samster

Post by Samster »

dr-baker wrote:
East Londoner wrote:Stephen Jelley is now 3rd in the championship, with the smallest team in the field. Let that sink in.

Samster wrote:Chilton wins the final race but he's joined on the podium by both Butcher and Jelley! The latter made a demon start from 6th and led the first quarter of the race. What a turnaround from last season.

Although Chilton did get a time penalty for punting Neal, so Butcher and Chilton have swapped places in the classification.

So Chilton gets penalised for doing to Neal what Neal has gotten away with for years. :facepalm: Shame that Butcher and AmD have to get their first win this way but I'm sure they'll win on track at some point this year.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Samster wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

So Chilton gets penalised for doing to Neal what Neal has gotten away with for years. :facepalm: Shame that Butcher and AmD have to get their first win this way but I'm sure they'll win on track at some point this year.

You should know the golden rule by now: it’s perfectly fine to barge other people out the way in touring cars if your name is Matt Neal or Jason Plato.

Glad to see the championship isn’t going to be the Sutton cakewalk many feared after Qualifying
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Samster wrote:So Chilton gets penalised for doing to Neal what Neal has gotten away with for years. :facepalm: Shame that Butcher and AmD have to get their first win this way but I'm sure they'll win on track at some point this year.

There has been a new driving standards rule for this year which states if a driver makes contact with another car and gains a place and they don't give it back they will get a penalty. s part of the Driving Standards Guidelines issued to all drivers, ‘A driver who gains an unfair advantage through contact caused by them will be penalised, unless they surrender that advantage before a further lap is completed’, and this is something that Chilton failed to do during the incident. […] Jelley made similar contact with Neal during the race in a separate incident but relinquished his position as the guidelines dictate.'

its irrelevant that another driver did the same thing last year or in 2008.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Clearly the BTCC didn't want to be left out of the chaos afflicting motorsport this weekend, as we've had two huge accidents at Donington Park already. The first has ended Andy Jordan's day, his BMW is pretty much a write-off.

The second just happened in the Ginetta Supercup, a five-car pile up on the main straight including a head-on impact at racing speed. Thankfully everyone is okay, but the footage of the accident is absolutely terrifying. :(
Samster

Post by Samster »

Stewart Lines' Touring Car Trophy made its debut last weekend. Even after merging with TCR UK they only managed a nine car entry, two of which couldn't even make the start. Only two NGTC cars, Alex Day driving 'Sherman' and one of Matt Neal's sons, Henry driving a old shape Civic for Team Dynamics. Sadly the Moffats didn't bring their ex-PARAS Infiniti. Also of interest was James Turkington, brother of Colin in a S2000 SEAT.

Anyway the first race ended with Henry Neal proving that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree as his attempt at taking the lead from Ollie Taylor ended with him barging his rival off the track and Henry himself on his side. Henry Neal was disqualified and penalised four license points.

Footage of the collision.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WApHh5eWnYQ
Samster

Post by Samster »

Blundell got an absolute slamming from Tom Chilton after he took him out in qualifying at Thuxton.
https://www.motorsport.com/btcc/news/bl ... n/4392345/

On a more positive note I have to give major props to Rory Butcher who after three meetings is tied with Turkington for the championship lead. Easily driver of the year so far.

One more thing I think the reduction in success ballast this season was a mistake. It seems race 1 winners going on to win race 2 is going to be a regular occurrence.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

I was at Thruxton on Sunday to witness a remarkably dull affair. Even the reverse grid race was unspectacular.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Spectoremg wrote:I was at Thruxton on Sunday to witness a remarkably dull affair. Even the reverse grid race was unspectacular.

How was exiting the circuit compared to Brands Hatch last year? Although I have been to Thruxton before, I have only seen club racing there.
MCard LOLA
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

The problem with Thruxton is that a good 70% of the circuit is just pure throttle so passing is likely to be less frequent compared to a Croft or Knockhill. I was slightly underwhelmed when I heard the calendar would have 2 visits to Thruxton for that reason. I’d have had 2 visits to Oulton Park personally (slightly biased because that’s my home circuit)

And I agree on Rory Butcher being a DOTY contender. Isn’t it amazing what he can produce now he isn’t having to perform miracles in a MG kegwagon? And a very unpopular opinion I know but it is encouraging to see Jason Plato looking at least half decent this year. He may be a tw*t but his is a career that shouldn’t be going out with a whimper
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:. I was slightly underwhelmed when I heard the calendar would have 2 visits to Thruxton for that reason. I’d have had 2 visits to Oulton Park personally (slightly biased because that’s my home circuit)

My nearest track already had two rounds each year, albeit on two different configurations (Indy and GP loops). I was hoping that the replacement round for Rockingham would be Silverstone, as the BTCC could use both the National and International configurations. Or perhaps, less realistically, Angelsey or Mondello Park.
MCard LOLA
Samster

Post by Samster »

dr-baker wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:. I was slightly underwhelmed when I heard the calendar would have 2 visits to Thruxton for that reason. I’d have had 2 visits to Oulton Park personally (slightly biased because that’s my home circuit)

My nearest track already had two rounds each year, albeit on two different configurations (Indy and GP loops). I was hoping that the replacement round for Rockingham would be Silverstone, as the BTCC could use both the National and International configurations. Or perhaps, less realistically, Angelsey or Mondello Park.

Really hope the second Thruxton round isn't a permanent thing. Its comfortably my least favourite track on the schedule as it is. Would love to see Angelsey on the calender if only for it being right next to the sea. Sadly its pretty lacking in paddock facilities and its well out of the way for about 99% of the country's population.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dr-baker wrote:

My nearest track already had two rounds each year, albeit on two different configurations (Indy and GP loops). I was hoping that the replacement round for Rockingham would be Silverstone, as the BTCC could use both the National and International configurations.

https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/144 ... p-for-2020
Called it!

Plus BTCC at Croft this weekend has been a bit chaotic from what I can tell, with many multiple red flags in qualifying and something happening in race 1 (don't know what though, tuned in after the race to hear that there were tyre wall repairs being completed).
MCard LOLA
Samster

Post by Samster »

Well the first two Oulton Park races were yet more WSRWINSLOL but race 3 sees Jake Hill grab a win. At least provisionally as the stewards may have something to say about him spinning off Neal earlier in the race. Stephen Jelley is the first line to benefit if Hill gets penalised.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

This is Jelley's first BTCC win since Rockingham 2009, which surely has to be a record in the modern era.
Samster

Post by Samster »

East Londoner wrote:

This is Jelley's first BTCC win since Rockingham 2009, which surely has to be a record in the modern era.

20 effing seconds! Should have been five at most. Way to make even the F1 stewards look lenient. :facepalm:
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Samster wrote:
East Londoner wrote:

20 effing seconds! Should have been five at most. Way to make even the F1 stewards look lenient. :facepalm:

Well he did hit Matt Neal and that just isn’t allowed because everyone knows that Matt Neal has never done anything like that ever in 28 years of BTCC

WSR showing a dominance I’ve not seen since Vauxhall in the early 2000’s. At least they seem to acknowledge that unlike some (cough “Mercedes” cough). Still I’ve hardly been bored by it and we have still had 7 people winning a race.
Samster

Post by Samster »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
Samster wrote:
East Londoner wrote:

Well he did hit Matt Neal and that just isn’t allowed because everyone knows that Matt Neal has never done anything like that ever in 28 years of BTCC

WSR showing a dominance I’ve not seen since Vauxhall in the early 2000’s. At least they seem to acknowledge that unlike some (cough “Mercedes” cough). Still I’ve hardly been bored by it and we have still had 7 people winning a race.

WSR have so far won every race that wasn't wet or a reverse grid race this season. What's amusing is that Dynamics are still yet to win anything while the other Honda teams, BTC and AmD both have.

Anyway Moffat will switch to the ex PARA Infiniti his team acquired in the off-season. Even though the Mercs have struggled all season and even being run by a proper team, its hard to see how the Infiniti will do better. Though it is a RWD if I remember correctly.

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2019 ... ls-racing/
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

2nd helping at Thruxton on Sunday. Looking forward to it.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Spectoremg wrote:2nd helping at Thruxton on Sunday. Looking forward to it.

The racing was fine, and the rain in the last few laps of the third race raised the tension, but I still think they should only use each track configuration once each season.
MCard LOLA
1993DonningtonNo1Mk2

Post by 1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 »

Knockhill coming up but no Tordoff out of respect for his recently deceased newborn son.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 wrote:Knockhill coming up but no Tordoff out of respect for his recently deceased newborn son.

Only a week or so old. Tragic news.
MCard LOLA
1993DonningtonNo1Mk2

dr-baker wrote:
1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 wrote:Knockhill coming up but no Tordoff out of respect for his recently deceased newborn son.

Absolutely terrible. Wonder if AMD will be allowed to withdraw his car out of respect or have to find a replacement?
1993DonningtonNo1Mk2

dr-baker wrote:

Means Bushell's back for Knockhill.
1993DonningtonNo1Mk2

1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Means Bushell's back for Knockhill.

...and Silverstone and Brands too. Nic's season's over also.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 wrote:Nic's season's over also.

This made me sad. Although on a par with Mark Blundell (and he describes this season as he worst ever in more than 30 years), he often put in respectable performances and did not disgrace himself. Hope he makes it back for next year.
MCard LOLA
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

dr-baker wrote:

This made me sad. Although on a par with Mark Blundell (and he describes this season as he worst ever in more than 30 years), he often put in respectable performances and did not disgrace himself. Hope he makes it back for next year.

Yeah, not really. Sadly for Nic, he's a great fellow, but he's so out of his debt in this cars... Everytime he showed up on the screens this year he was on the grass or involved in some sort of mess. But would love to see him do Ginetta's or Clio Cup.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
1993DonningtonNo1Mk2

Miguel98 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Yeah, not really. Sadly for Nic, he's a great fellow, but he's so out of his debt in this cars... Everytime he showed up on the screens this year he was on the grass or involved in some sort of mess. But would love to see him do Ginetta's or Clio Cup.

Means Michael Caine's back. - http://www.btcc.net/2019/09/27/caine-re ... motorbase/

If you see any messages from me Miguel98 then delete them. I clicked the wrong icon.
Samster

Post by Samster »

Miguel98 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

He's already had two stints in Clios, he was never better than lower midfield even there. He'd be better off as an Am driver in either the Carrera Cup or British GT where he can be carried by a Pro driver. Seemed to work wonders for Andy Sugden this season (remember him?).
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Miguel98 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

I don't think he was totally out of his depth. He's not as back of the grid as Kubica has been at William's in F1. Not saying a lot, I know, but he ain't no Life or Lola.
MCard LOLA