How close are you to F1?

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
noisebox

How close are you to F1?

Post by noisebox »

This post made me think, how closely are you connected to F1?

Jordan192 wrote:From the dubious (a friend of a friend, who in turn has a lot of friends at Brawn) sources I heard, the amount Ross was asking for naming rights was so batshit insane (over £500 million) that he really didn't want to let it go.

I have a mate at work who knows someone at McLaren and my other half went to school with someone who works at Mercedes engine division in Brixworth. We also have a family friend who was at Cosworth, but worked on indycar engines. Not sure if he's still there.

PS edit - just thought of this one, a former colleague of mine is best mates with ex Jag F1 boss Martin Whittaker who now runs the Bahrain circuit.
Last edited by noisebox on 07 Sep 2009, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
Many Blue Flags

Re: How close are you to F1?

Post by Many Blue Flags »

My chemistry teacher's best mate was one of the guys who started up Cosworth, and my Uncle worked for Qinetiq when they sponsored Williams and helped with their wind tunnel.
Also Known As 'Mr Two-Seconds-Off-The-Pace'

YAFUGGA BLOODY GAFUGGOV is all I say to you.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

A guy who I went to school with and who lived in my village, his dad was team manager (or something similar) at Williams. Confusingly, his surname was Williams. This was in the 80s, I think.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Oh, and another guy who lives in my village invented something crucial to F1. I only wish I could remember what it was. I shall have to ask my parents.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I used to work with a guy who attended Singapore 2008 and Spa 2009, and coincidently we had a daily delivery from DHL, which sponsored Jordan F1 back in the day... :D
"Grosjean has a great desire to turn around and look at the corner he's just gone through, too many times per lap or per session, he's always spinning that Renault"
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

Jordan wrote:I used to work with a guy who attended Singapore 2008 and Spa 2009

Not Nelson Piquet Jr then...
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

When I worked at Milton Keynes HMV in 1997, I sold Paul Stewart a flight case for his CDs.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

My mother worked with a former (was at that time) wife of Finnish F1 journalist Erkki Mustakari.
Popi_Larrauri

Post by Popi_Larrauri »

I, once, working as concultant at Telecom (Argentinean division), saw that they were exposing the M198 Minardi of Esteban Tuero, and I touched a bit before a security guard came to say the obvious.

For the rest, I'm light years away.
Winners have lots of friends, losers have good friends.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

My brother was talking for ages at a dinner to a guy who worked for Red Bull as an engineer (last year he said KERS was a waste of time and money).
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

I'm American... so no.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

I have been to 2 Grand Prix (British in 1989 and Belgium '95) and a company my sister worked for sponsered Paul Stewart Racing in F3
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

The guy in my village created the F1 crash tests. He has two quite terrifying-looking hunting dogs, which like to roam the place putting the wind up us non-doggy people.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I once got a ride in a Mini Cooper S Stunt Car with Allan McNish...
Thats all I got for this one.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

My uncle met Jenson Button once. Otherwise...
thehemogoblin wrote:I'm American... so no.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

One of my dad's co-workers used to be married to NASCAR driver Ted Musgrave's sister. Musgrave raced against F1 reject Danny Sullivan in the 1994 Brickyard 400. Also in that race was Lake Speed, who beat the pants off of Ayrton Senna to win a kart championship...

Okay, that doesn't count really... =X
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Life w12

Post by Life w12 »

I got to drive around the Phoenix Grand Prix Circuit!!
(Although thousands of people do every day so, I guess that doesn't count)
Bort

Post by Bort »

My wifes best friend is the sister of Mark Preston.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_preston

So I not only have connections to F1, I have connections to an F1 Reject Team and was at their 2007 pre-season party here in Australia and met Taku.
rffp

Post by rffp »

I went to high school with Christian Fittipaldi and attended some classes with him. He was a dork and, of course, an overrated driver.
A fan of Roberto Pupo Moreno, the one and only, the legend!
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Apart from the various contacts and fleeting opportunities that we have had as a result of running F1 Rejects, I actually have one tangential F1 contact completely unrelated to this site, despite being on the wrong side of the world. My in-laws are family friends with a guy who currently works in the Red Bull aero department.

On a different note, and off-topic, one of my former bosses at work was David Greenhalgh, one of Australia's foremost motor racing historians. Although that's more about being close to Australian motorsport than to F1 itself.

I should let Kuwashima speak for himself, but Ryan Briscoe was a year below him at school and they used to talk F1 together ...
Alianora La Canta

Post by Alianora La Canta »

One of the Twitter friends with whom I have most conversation with was an intern in Force India's R&D department last academic year. Another of my Twitter friends has a husband who works in Brawn's IT department.

Off-line, the only links I can claim are the various F1 personalities I've received an autograph from at Autosport, which probably doesn't count for the purposes of this thread.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

I sent an e-mail to USF1 enquiring after career opportunities and they replied asking my to send my resume ...
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Captain Hammer wrote:I sent an e-mail to USF1 enquiring after career opportunities and they replied asking my to send my resume ...

Heck... I should do that, just on a lark. It'd be awesome if I ended up as an intern doing PR, and it would fit what I'm going to school for.
Many Blue Flags

Post by Many Blue Flags »

Captain Hammer wrote:I sent an e-mail to USF1 enquiring after career opportunities and they replied asking my to send my resume ...

Damn you! I got rejected by Honda, Force India and (most rudely of all) by Williams!
Also Known As 'Mr Two-Seconds-Off-The-Pace'

YAFUGGA BLOODY GAFUGGOV is all I say to you.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

My pal Johannah was a childhood playmate of Juan Pablo Montoya, they grew up together in Bogota.

Non-F1, but I almost bought a sofa-bed that the late Gonzalo Rodrigues used to sleep on while lodging in England. To my annoyance, I couldn't fit it up my stairs, so I had to give it back. Also, I live in the next village down from the one where Dan Wheldon grew up.
Ross Prawn

Post by Ross Prawn »

I've met Enzo Ferrari.

My nephew works in the chassis design team at Renault.

An engineer who used to work for me is now head of electronic systems at McClaren.

My uncle used to be Jackie Stewart's partner at clay pidgeon shooting.
"Other than the car behind and the driver who might get a bit startled with the sudden explosion in front, it really isn't a major safety issue from that point of view,"
Ross Prawn

Post by Ross Prawn »

Oh, and I overtook Jenson Button once, while he was driving a Lamborghini. Mind you it was in Putney High Street at 5 mph.
"Other than the car behind and the driver who might get a bit startled with the sudden explosion in front, it really isn't a major safety issue from that point of view,"
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

Ross Prawn wrote:I've met Enzo Ferrari.

That's pretty impressive - when/how?
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

I forgot my best one. I went to Monaco with my wife a few years ago (2002-ish), not on raceday, just an ordinary week day to look around. We decided to walk the track. I was just stepping out into the road to cross over at La Rascasse, when this enormous black people carrier zoomed up out of nowhere and nearly ran me over. I peered in through the tinted windows to give the driver a glare, only to find myself gazing at Gerhard Berger.

My wife was in a queue in the Holiday Inn in Milton Keynes. There was a woman at the desk taking ages. My wife and an athletic-looking gentleman with a Red Bull bag were rolling their eyes at each other about the dithery woman. When she got home, she looked up who the man might have been, and found it was Robert Doornbos.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

thehemogoblin wrote:Heck... I should do that, just on a lark. It'd be awesome if I ended up as an intern doing PR, and it would fit what I'm going to school for.

A lot of my experience is in marketing and public relations. I ran a massive marketing campaign for a student body that was starting up in my first year; by the end of the year, it was the single largest student body dedicated to a subject area. And I did a stint with a regional newspaper where I ended up doing an informal interview with the state premier and film producer Ken Burns after just one week on the job. And then there was my franchise at the start of the year, where I had the smallest of six hundred stores all over the world and by the end of the business's life - it was a seasonal thing - I was inside the top twenty percent worldwide and the top five percent countrywide.
Many Blue Flags wrote:Damn you! I got rejected by Honda, Force India and (most rudely of all) by Williams!

Hey, I sent out requests for information from every team except Ferrari (because they don't accept them), and I only heard back from Force India at the time.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
crazydude1992

Post by crazydude1992 »

One of my moms co-workers went to an F1 race, 2006 Monaco I believe...
Artificial intelligence is no match for F1 rejectdom.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

I sold raffle tickets at the 2003 British GP on behalf of the BRDC and got in for free. :P

(I think this thread has just turned into boasting now, at least for me)
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

I was born and currently living in the same city where Mika Häkkinen was born. Even then, I'm living on the eastern side while he's originally from the western side of the city...

So nothing much here! :)
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I attended the 1996 British GP, I saw Nelson Piquet Jnr score A1 GP Team Brazil's only victories to date, I've seen Alex Yoong and Sebastian Bourdais race at Brands Hatch in Champ Car in about 2003 (Bourdais's 1st win in the series I believe) and I've seen other ex- and future F1 drivers in various formulae at Brands including in the WTCC, A1 GP and FRenault.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

I went to the 2007 British GP.
Valrys

Post by Valrys »

Went to friday practice at the 2003 British GP...where I was amazed at how rough that years Cosworth sounded in the back of the Jordans and Minardis.

Also went to see a 2000 Ferrari that was on display near where I lived.

And my uncle, a mildly successful bike racer, was friends with Colin Mcrae (who I assume knew people in F1, there's a link! Honest! I'm not just boasting :p) and even managed to roll over one of his rally cars when given a go in one
Ross Prawn

Post by Ross Prawn »

noisebox wrote:
Ross Prawn wrote:I've met Enzo Ferrari.

That's pretty impressive - when/how?

Went on a tour around the Ferrari factory in about 1981. (It was the weekend of the Imola GP when Gilles and Pironi fell out. Gilles last GP.) The tour was pretty impressive, particularly the paint shop where they did 308's and FIAT tractor cabs on the same production line. And at the end they took us in to see the great man. He looked much as you would expect, impressive, dark glasses. He mumbled few words in best Marlon Brando style and we were ushered out again. Then we had a drive around the test circuit in a bus. After the GP went to a dinner where I was on the same table as Harvey Postlethwaite. The drivers should have been their, but they had had a bad day.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Um, not very. My best mate lives very close to the McLaren base in Woking.

Oh, and when I was a teenager one of my neighbours worked in a factory that made parts for F1 cars for some of the British teams - every so often he'd come back with a bit of metal that had gone slightly wrong and say 'there you go, that should have ended up on a Lotus'.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Ross Prawn -

I'd let chipmunks knaw my arm off if I could do that. I went to Maranello during the summer, and but for a car museum, you can't see anything of interest unless you're a Ferrari owner, and even then I'd say it would be really disappointing - "There's where we make the cars and there's the gift shop. See you."
Bert

Post by Bert »

One of my acquaintances, Gord Donaldson is brother of Gerald (Gerry) Donaldson, Canadian Formula 1 author, biographer and reporter.
You break it, I fix it, or vice-versa.