The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Sauber010

The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing thread

Post by Sauber010 »

Now, I'll be the first to say that I'm not a massive fan of NASCAR racing. I watch it occasionally but am no expert.

But really, if you have a chance turn on the TV to see the season final that is happening at the moment. It is pretty epic.

9 laps to go, points are equal, Edwards and Stewart are running 1st and 2nd. Whoever wins the race wins the series. Fairly exciting if you ask me!
Full time reader, Part time responder.
Jeroen Krautmeir

Re: The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing threa

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

Did you have to put 'National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing' in the title? I doubt many people would know at first glance what you're talking about! :P

Anyway...

CONGRATS TO TONY STEWART #14!!!
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
nome66

Post by nome66 »

woohooo!!! Smoke!
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

The Race for the Chase, for the Cup or the Thing ends with Jimmie Johnson not Winning?

Awesome.

In other news...

http://www.racer.com/report-nascar-fines-keselowski-for-comments-about-fuel-injection/article/217125/

If the report in the link is to be true, I really think #OccupyNASCAR should start. A driver giving his 2 cents, and he gets fined for it? The 1% is slapping the 99% I do believe.
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

RealRacingRoots wrote:The Race for the Chase, for the Cup or the Thing ends with Jimmie Johnson not Winning?

Awesome.

In other news...

http://www.racer.com/report-nascar-fines-keselowski-for-comments-about-fuel-injection/article/217125/

If the report in the link is to be true, I really think #OccupyNASCAR should start. A driver giving his 2 cents, and he gets fined for it? The 1% is slapping the 99% I do believe.

Go home, NASCAR officialdom, GO HOME! And while I'm at it go home, Rupert Murdoch!
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
jpm

Post by jpm »

Disappointed that Carl Edwards missed out, but a good job by Stewart-Haas to come from nowhere to winning half the races in the chase. Jimmy Spencer's crying towel is a toughie to allocate this week!
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Wizzie wrote:
RealRacingRoots wrote:The Race for the Chase, for the Cup or the Thing ends with Jimmie Johnson not Winning?

Awesome.

In other news...

Go home, NASCAR officialdom, GO HOME! And while I'm at it go home, Rupert Murdoch!

I believe NASCAR officialdom just lost a great opportunity to showcase their "awesome" 'have at it boys' system. They would secretly choose a driver, dress him in NASCAR colours and call him 'NASCAR Official'. They would then field this driver in a black car with NASCAR label all over it whenever they would want to penalize drivers. This driver would have only one goal: go after certain drivers, in this case Keselowski, and crash them out of the race. The target driver would have as objective, besides try to win the race, to 'survive' the whole race against this driver. This NASCAR car is a special one having more power and being even more resistant to crashes. Can you imagine the show? The ratings rise? It's mouth-watering!
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

I'm very glad that Tony Stewart has won this over Carl Edwards. I just hate that bathplug after this.

Speaking of Keselowski, it's very sad NASCAR officialdom have penalized him for just stating his opinion about an issue. It wasn't in the realms of slandering, so what they have managed is to showcase and authocratic vein that will certainly not appeal to the fans.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Stewart is just as guilty as Carl Edwards for trying to kill people on the track. Stewart just had the gall to complain about people getting killed before the race happened... go watch the Daytona 500 from 2006(I think that was the right year) if you don't believe me...

It was a very entertaining championship battle despite the first half of that race being relatively uneventful, but I have to admit that my attitude on it was soured a bit by the ESPN broadcast, who spent half the race being Stewart's cheerleaders... it wore on me after awhile to the point where I muted the TV with around 15 laps to go!

jpm wrote:Disappointed that Carl Edwards missed out, but a good job by Stewart-Haas to come from nowhere to winning half the races in the chase. Jimmy Spencer's crying towel is a toughie to allocate this week!

Didn't think anyone else knew about Mr. Excitement's crying towel around here. It will be tough to allocate this weekend, so much so that I think Spencer might have to go through all the radio chatter to find someone to give it to!

Mildly heart-warming to see this thread back, been a NASCAR fan since late 1993 ...

For all the newbie NASCAR fans or fans who need a decent (but poorly written) news source, check out http://www.jayski.com. Jayski himself writes some stuff (and his English is notoriously bad), and there's a lot of neat stats floating around there. You can kill an entire day on that site.

Also, here's a story about a friend of mine. He is a 48 year old disabled former U.S. Marine who designed J.J. Yeley's livery for the Phoenix race; http://nascarnation.us/forum/topic/list ... nix+Design

I've been designing NASCAR Racing 2003 Season cars with him for the past 4 years, and he is nothing short of a role model (not to mention very talented and driven).
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
deCrasheris

Post by deCrasheris »

Cynon, is this what your talking about http://youtu.be/SeoAUe4ZAxg
RIP Dan Wheldon 1978-2011
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Dear god, that was mildly entertaining! If they keep this up then maybe TSN will carry more NASCAR races instead of having Canadian Football* on like they did this year!

*To you people across the pond, it's handegg.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

JeremyMcClean wrote: If they keep this up then maybe TSN will carry more NASCAR races instead of having Canadian Football* on like they did this year!

*To you people across the pond, it's handegg.

Canadian Handegg is nicer then American Handegg.

Although more auto racing, any kind including Nascar which I lost interest in outside of the Road Course Races, would be nicer on TSN, The Score, and Sportsnet.
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
jpm

Post by jpm »

Cynon wrote:
jpm wrote:Disappointed that Carl Edwards missed out, but a good job by Stewart-Haas to come from nowhere to winning half the races in the chase. Jimmy Spencer's crying towel is a toughie to allocate this week!

Didn't think anyone else knew about Mr. Excitement's crying towel around here. It will be tough to allocate this weekend, so much so that I think Spencer might have to go through all the radio chatter to find someone to give it to!

The time when BK pied Spencer live on air has got to be one of the funniest things I've ever seen, almost beating Spencer's reactions to a crash involving either Brian Scott or Steven Wallace :lol: :lol: :lol: I would give the Cigar award to Carl Edwards for his incredible professionalism, and the straight jacket award... who knows. It was TOO CLEAN!
deCrasheris

Post by deCrasheris »

jpm wrote:
Cynon wrote:

The time when BK pied Spencer live on air has got to be one of the funniest things I've ever seen, almost beating Spencer's reactions to a crash involving either Brian Scott or Steven Wallace :lol: :lol: :lol: I would give the Cigar award to Carl Edwards for his incredible professionalism, and the straight jacket award... who knows. It was TOO CLEAN!

I personally think his best one was his advent of the term 'Vickernism' after Brian Vickers hit everything except the pace car at Martinsville :lol:. Also, the Kurt Busch Radio Sweetheart segments are pretty funny as well.

As for the straight jacket award, I think Steven Wallace will get it for crashing.......again at Homestead :lol: .
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

deCrasheris wrote: Also, the Kurt Busch Radio Sweetheart segments are pretty funny as well.

I can see why :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
jpm

Post by jpm »

deCrasheris wrote:I personally think his best one was his advent of the term 'Vickernism' after Brian Vickers hit everything except the pace car at Martinsville :lol:

You have me there!
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

jpm wrote:
deCrasheris wrote:I personally think his best one was his advent of the term 'Vickernism' after Brian Vickers hit everything except the pace car at Martinsville :lol:

You have me there!

NASCAR Reject of the Race :lol:
The future McLaren http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

golic_2004 wrote:
jpm wrote:

You have me there!

NASCAR Reject of the Race :lol:

I actually did a one-word-rankings for NASCAR in like 2009 or something like that on YouTube. I recall giving Dale Earnhardt, Jr. Reject of the Year because his teammates went 1-2-3 in points and he was out to lunch, and giving David Ragan low marks (which any sane person would do) and Joey Logano low marks as well (which any sane person would ALSO do...)

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

To be fair, the #36 Baldwin car didn't start and park last season even though they had Start and Parker extraordinaire Dave Blaney driving the Kids-Eat-Free-At-Golden-Corral-if-the-Car-Gets-a-Top-Ten-Finish Mobile. They were just at the back of the field.

Meaning... we should all love them here. :D

DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Cynon wrote:

To be fair, the #36 Baldwin car didn't start and park last season even though they had Start and Parker extraordinaire Dave Blaney driving the Kids-Eat-Free-At-Golden-Corral-if-the-Car-Gets-a-Top-Ten-Finish Mobile. They were just at the back of the field.

Yes, BUT, without Golden Corral money, where are they going to get the finance to run two cars from green to checkered flag? Though, to be fair, if one car is going to get priority over the other, it's probably Blaney who will be forced to pull out after 30 laps.

Image Image
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

kostas22 wrote:
Cynon wrote:

Yes, BUT, without Golden Corral money, where are they going to get the finance to run two cars from green to checkered flag? Though, to be fair, if one car is going to get priority over the other, it's probably Blaney who will be forced to pull out after 30 laps.

I have a feeling Reutimann will get priority, because the #36 is the team's primary car. It's not like other teams in NASCAR don't do that anyway (Richard Childress, Joe Gibbs, Rick Hendrick, I am talking about you...)

DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Wasn't JJ Yeley a start and parker in #18 before Kryle came along? Or am I just imagining things :?

Also, what about Aric Almirola. I remember him being so-so in a bunch of part-time rides between 2007 & 2008. Is he actually any good? I noticed RPM signed him up to replace AJ Allmendinger,

Image Image
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

kostas22 wrote:Wasn't JJ Yeley a start and parker in #18 before Kryle came along? Or am I just imagining things :?

He might as well have been, given his talent.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
kostas22 wrote:Wasn't JJ Yeley a start and parker in #18 before Kryle came along? Or am I just imagining things :?

Seconded
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Which is quite possiblly the reason I thought he was a start and park driver :lol:

Image Image
deCrasheris

Post by deCrasheris »

kostas22 wrote:

Which is quite possiblly the reason I thought he was a start and park driver :lol:

To say Yeley underperformed in JGR equipment is an understatement in every sense of the world. Yeley does a lot of S+Ping in the three major series in NASCAR but ran a couple of full races this year for Front Row Motorsports (when he brought sponsorship) and did decently given his equipment he had.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

At least in NASCAR you are given plenty of chances. In F1, you're considerably lucky to get a 2nd chance. Ya know?
The future McLaren http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Hard to forget this almighty smash.

J.J. Yeley did, however, drive this car. :D

kostas22 wrote:Also, what about Aric Almirola. I remember him being so-so in a bunch of part-time rides between 2007 & 2008. Is he actually any good? I noticed RPM signed him up to replace AJ Allmendinger,

Almirola drove a few races for RPM at the end of last year and did pretty well, so the move for him into King Richard's 43 car makes a lot of sense. He's good enough for the drive from what I can tell.

nome66

Post by nome66 »

i just saw an interview on speed channel and they had a guy from Mclaren (of all places) talking about the new fuel injector system.
....at least i think he was talking about it. most of the interview was pausing, suspicious grinning, and some "i uuuhhhh". it almost seemed like he was high or something lol

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

McLaren built the ECU.

Cynon

Post by Cynon »

J.J. Yeley to drive for Jay Robinson

Good to see Yeley has a ride, it's just too bad that the car is sponsored by A BATHPLUGGING POLICE STATE. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Cynon wrote:J.J. Yeley to drive for Jay Robinson

Good to see Yeley has a ride, it's just too bad that the car is sponsored by A BATHPLUGGING POLICE STATE. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Oh well, there is many points in politics that doesn't do USA any favours either. Bad together with worse there.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Could have been worse. Williams were sponsored by the Saudis from 1978-84 - lots of wins, two championships, and the Saudis dictated how they could celebrate (or, more accurately, couldn't). Malaysia isn't quite the bastion of tolerance of the Western ways that it likes to portray itself as, but the whole country sponsored the Stewart team in 1997. Chinese sponsorship has sprung up everywhere, and I'm actually surprised there isn't a full Chinese F1 team these days (back in 2008, before the existence of this forum, I predicted that a Chinese consortium would take over Super Aguri and keep them on the grid, but it never happened). And then, there's F1 itself, which stayed in apartheid South Africa until 1985.

J.J. Yeley's NASCAR team could have tied up with Burma, Zimbabwe, Eritrea, Turkmenistan, Equatorial Guinea, North Korea - none of which are very likely, but all of which would have been an order of magnitude worse than America Israel Racing.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Cynon wrote:Good to see Yeley has a ride

Never thought I'd see anyone say that; has he suddenly become good or something?
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Cynon wrote:Good to see Yeley has a ride

Never thought I'd see anyone say that; has he suddenly become good or something?

J.J. Yeley is not by any means a great NASCAR driver (however, his USAC stats are nothing short of jaw-dropping), but he's one of the nicer people in the sport.

He also drove this car that was designed by paralyzed Marine veteran Scott Bates for the fall Phoenix race (in honor of Veteran's Day in America), a good friend of mine.

Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

Gentlemen,
I would like to watch some American racing series this season, to let my eyes rest from the utter ugliness of Formula One.
Where I can watch NASCAR? I already know the IndyCar TV schedule, but NASCAR coverage still remains a mystery to me.
Thanks in advance :D
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Motors TV Has Nationwide.

I'm seeing a lot of NASCAR related trailer on ESPN America (A channel over in Europe, broadcasting mostly ESPN related American Sports, currently a LOT of College Basketball games, there was a NHRA Drag-Racing event recently too (PAUL PAGE COMMENTARY!!!), with the odd CBS/FOX coverage thrown in) Whether that means they've got the Sprint Cup though remains to be found out.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
nome66

Post by nome66 »

Paul Page is now, unfortunately, a permanent fixture to NHRA coomentary. has been since 2006 i believe.
ESPN will be all college basketball until the end of March.

DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I'm rather late to the game with this one, but just found out that Waahhhhhd Burton will be racing Trucks this season. Huzzah :D

Image Image