The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
golic_2004

Re: The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing threa

Post by golic_2004 »

Jacques Villeneuve returns to NASCAR in the Xfinity Series for a new team called Wing Nut Racing. How cliché.

http://www.racer.com/nascar/item/125927 ... h-new-team
The future McLaren http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Samster

Post by Samster »

So the details of the charter system has finally been officially announced as well as the drop to 40 car grids. :facepalm: I could have lived with the charters if they had stuck with 43 as the number of full time teams had dropped enough to allow new part time teams to crop up and stand a chance of establishing themselves but dropping to 40 makes it even harder than it was under the previous qualifying system.

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/ ... arter.html

On the plus side at least Xfinity and Trucks look like they will have a deeper roster of teams this season than they have recently. And Kyle Busch will be running less races in those now that he has his Cup championship.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Samster wrote:So the details of the charter system has finally been officially announced as well as the drop to 40 car grids. :facepalm: I could have lived with the charters if they had stuck with 43 as the number of full time teams had dropped enough to allow new part time teams to crop up and stand a chance of establishing themselves but dropping to 40 makes it even harder than it was under the previous qualifying system.

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/ ... arter.html

On the plus side at least Xfinity and Trucks look like they will have a deeper roster of teams this season than they have recently. And Kyle Busch will be running less races in those now that he has his Cup championship.

I get the idea behind the charters, I even can live with the grid drop (a number of races had only 43 cars show up last year, and there never has been more than 45 at a race since 2012) but I can't understand NASCAR's obsession with locking in cars.

Why bother having qualifying at all then? At least in CART even if you had a franchise you still had to have the speed, see Penske racking up THREE DNQs at Indy of all places in 1995, amongst others.

And why does Michael Waltrip Racing, a DEFUNCT Team, get two charters? They have already agreed to sell them to SHR and JGR, but with an admitted 7 figure value PER CHARTER, Useless windbag Mikey just cashed out big time, after laying off over 100 people. Reeks to high heaven.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Samster

Post by Samster »

Tony Stewart's sub has finally been announced and coming out of left field its none other than Brian Vickers! I was convinced his career was dead for good with his latest health issues and MWR shutting down.
http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/r ... 500-021016

Also Bobby Labonte re-unites with Gibbs to drive the #18 in the Daytona Xfinity race.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Samster wrote:Tony Stewart's sub has finally been announced and coming out of left field its none other than Brian Vickers! I was convinced his career was dead for good with his latest health issues and MWR shutting down.

Also Bobby Labonte re-unites with Gibbs to drive the #18 in the Daytona Xfinity race.

Well that's just awful. But so it goes. At least Danica won't be the slowest SHR driver now.....

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Wallio wrote:
Samster wrote:Tony Stewart's sub has finally been announced and coming out of left field its none other than Brian Vickers! I was convinced his career was dead for good with his latest health issues and MWR shutting down.

Well that's just awful. But so it goes. At least Danica won't be the slowest SHR driver now.....

I wouldn't be so sure on that.

As for the pole winner of the Daytona 500 congratulations Chase Elliott.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

golic_2004 wrote:
Wallio wrote:

I wouldn't be so sure on that.

As for the pole winner of the Daytona 500 congratulations Chase Elliott.

Party Boy's driving during the Unlimited proves my point. But he was probably hammered so there's that.

Samster

Post by Samster »

Wallio wrote:

Party Boy's driving during the Unlimited proves my point. But he was probably hammered so there's that.

Ty Dillon should be taking over the #14 after Daytona so there is that. :)
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

I did see that. 1000% improvement over BV.

Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

So cloooooooooooooooooooooose! :(

Truex almost got it. Would have been incredible to see Sofa's United on victory lane there.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Kenseth tried to emulate J.R Hildebrand in Daytona.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Glad someone finally took Kenseth out. When even your own team doesn't like you, well.......

Samster

Post by Samster »

Wallio wrote:Glad someone finally took Kenseth out. When even your own team doesn't like you, well.......

Sad part is Kenseth probably would have won if he'd just held his line instead of dangerously blocking like that. Idiot. :P
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

So according to motorsport.com, toyota's trd in USA said this Daytona 500 is Toyota's biggest win, bigger than Indy 500 (back in 2003 when Gil de Ferran won). Uh oh, HAHAHAHA
I don't really know how to react.

So that means that LM24 could be not as good as Daytona 500 win. Hands up, I don't give a damn and move on
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

AxelP800 wrote:So according to motorsport.com, toyota's trd in USA said this Daytona 500 is Toyota's biggest win, bigger than Indy 500 (back in 2003 when Gil de Ferran won). Uh oh, HAHAHAHA

So that means that LM24 could be not as good as Daytona 500 win. Hands up, I don't give a damn and move on

Well to be fair Tojo has never won Le Mans, or come close really. And even though I am a HUGE Indycar fan, Daytona is more important now. And has been since ohhh about 1995 or so.....

In NASCAR news, Stewart-Haas will race Fords next year!?! This makes no sense to me, but ok. Also interesting since both Danica and Stewart are "Factory" Chevy drivers. To the point where the one odd year Stewart was at JGR in a Toyota he couldn't be seen in any ads of theirs, and Chevy bought out his contract after one year and gave him a boatload of money to merge with Haas and set up SHR. I guess now that he's out though, it doesn't matter.

AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Wallio wrote:
AxelP800 wrote:So according to motorsport.com, toyota's trd in USA said this Daytona 500 is Toyota's biggest win, bigger than Indy 500 (back in 2003 when Gil de Ferran won). Uh oh, HAHAHAHA

Well to be fair Tojo has never won Le Mans, or come close really. And even though I am a HUGE Indycar fan, Daytona is more important now. And has been since ohhh about 1995 or so.....

In NASCAR news, Stewart-Haas will race Fords next year!?! This makes no sense to me, but ok. Also interesting since both Danica and Stewart are "Factory" Chevy drivers. To the point where the one odd year Stewart was at JGR in a Toyota he couldn't be seen in any ads of theirs, and Chevy bought out his contract after one year and gave him a boatload of money to merge with Haas and set up SHR. I guess now that he's out though, it doesn't matter.

Oh God, that ranting about 1995 again.... seriously is it THAT BAD? Look at it now, one of the most waited event every year for me. Indianapolis 500 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Daytona 500.

Move on done
tommykl has a stroke
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

AxelP800 wrote:
Wallio wrote:

Oh God, that ranting about 1995 again.... seriously is it THAT BAD? Look at it now, one of the most waited event every year for me. Indianapolis 500 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Daytona 500.

Move on done

#FreeGonzo
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

AxelP800 wrote:
Wallio wrote:

Move on done

Sadly, yes. I do care more, and look more excited to Indianapolis than to Daytona, but for americans, Daytona is much more important right now compared to Indy.

Let's compare:
Last year, the Indianapolis 500 had a 4.3 rating. Daytona 500 had.. 7.7 rating. That's a whopping difference. Even though the NASCAR ratings drop towards the end of the season (due to everyone hating the Chase and only caring for the Daytona 500), most of the races still feature a rating as high or just a bit below the Indy 500 rating. And I didn't check the Indy 500 ratings, but in terms of american audience, they're lower I'm quite sure. But, overall, Indianapolis has gained more importance over the couple of years, but still no where near enough to overthrown Daytona in terms of the american market.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

AxelP800 wrote:
Wallio wrote:

Move on done

Dude I'm proably the biggest Indycar fan on here, but if you think Daytona isn't bigger (what you and I prefer aside) there's no helping you.

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Well, if there is a competition to win a trip to watch the Daytona 500, I'll enter it (hey, a free trip to Florida during mid-winter? Yes please!).

But this year, my dad and I are paying to fly out to watch the 100th Indy 500. I am not paying to go to watch Daytona, but I will pay to see IndyCar's prestigious race. I know the debate here so far is talking about America's audience, I'm just adding a British voice to the argument. After all, the much debated Triple Crown includes Indy's 500, not Daytona's.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Samster

Post by Samster »

Well, first race after Daytona with the drop to 40 cars and we are already one car short. :facepalm: I guess the field won't be as difficult to get into for new teams after all. TMG are happy as they actually get to make races now. They are talking about running the full schedule.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Samster wrote:Well, first race after Daytona with the drop to 40 cars and we are already one car short. :facepalm: I guess the field won't be as difficult to get into for new teams after all. TMG are happy as they actually get to make races now. They are talking about running the full schedule.

I wonder who would set up a NASCAR Rejects site? Now THAT would be hard work considering how many more have raced there (in Cup only) compared to F1.
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Despite the people says great first 4 racea this year, I somehow still not convinced to enjoy Nascar except the plates and road course races. I watched the finish and the reaction was " Oh, okay" unlike in other seriea where you would go "OOOHHHRGHH!!"

I'm not saying I'm nascar haters or oval haters, just something still missing in me
tommykl has a stroke
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Was it another green/white/chequered finish? All I've seen is the pics of the photo finish. Wouldn't surprise me if it was.

I wonder what the proportion of green/white/chequered finishes is to normal finishes? I get it creates a bit of last lap drama, but it's all rather predictable after a while isn't it, and seemingly very engineered to create entertainment.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Samster

Post by Samster »

AxelP800 wrote:Despite the people says great first 4 racea this year, I somehow still not convinced to enjoy Nascar except the plates and road course races. I watched the finish and the reaction was " Oh, okay" unlike in other seriea where you would go "OOOHHHRGHH!!"

I'm not saying I'm nascar haters or oval haters, just something still missing in me

Atlanta apparently was a great competitive race despite only having one caution till the final few laps. On the other hand, Xfinity so far has not only been KyleBuschWINSLOL but Gibbs,1,2,3,LOL so go figure.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

NASCAR needs to come up with a rule that limits Cup drivers, aside from rookies, to compete in only 3-5 Xfinity/Truck series races a year. The fact that the Xfinity regulars in particular have little opportunity to win in that series is atrocious. :mrgreen:
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

golic_2004 wrote:NASCAR needs to come up with a rule that limits Cup drivers, aside from rookies, to compete in only 3-5 Xfinity/Truck series races a year. The fact that the Xfinity regulars in particular have little opportunity to win in that series is atrocious. :mrgreen:

The problem with that is teams would lose sponsors in a heart beat. Most Busch....errr.Natiowide...err whatever the bathplug it is now, sponsor contracts flat out say "Driver X must run Y races". This never was the case in the past, I can remember Roush running all sorts of people, admittedly mostly Mark Martin, in the Winn-Dixie car.

What NASCAR needs to do is not make it Cup lite. G back to the Busch rules. Different cars, harder tyres, V6 engines. Make it cost less, like it did back in the day. Nowadays it costs nearly as much to run either series.

AndreaModa wrote:Was it another green/white/chequered finish? All I've seen is the pics of the photo finish. Wouldn't surprise me if it was.

I wonder what the proportion of green/white/chequered finishes is to normal finishes? I get it creates a bit of last lap drama, but it's all rather predictable after a while isn't it, and seemingly very engineered to create entertainment.

Last week's race admittedly could have finished "on-time". There was no reason for all that "clean-up". But it was in the tyre failure window. One of the many great things with this new rules package is that drivers are frying their tyres again (Think Days of Thunder style). Literally every 55-70 laps, without fail, someone would blow a tyre and hit the wall due to wear. The end of the race was in that window.

Samster wrote:Well, first race after Daytona with the drop to 40 cars and we are already one car short. :facepalm: I guess the field won't be as difficult to get into for new teams after all. TMG are happy as they actually get to make races now. They are talking about running the full schedule.

I'm actually liking this, as we only have one Start and Park (Whitt). Otherwise teams are running it out. They may be 10-15 laps down but they are staying out, like in the '90s.

golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Totally agree with you Wallio. "Driver X must run Y races" = Preposterous Balderdash
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/ne ... ns-681490/

That's a bit frightening to read for the non-Jimmie Johnson fans out there, especially when they'll get whatever issues the team has sorted out. (and yes I said WHEN because... you know)
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

golic_2004 wrote:http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/johnson-crew-chief-we-re-not-where-we-want-to-be-despite-early-wins-681490/

That's a bit frightening to read for the non-Jimmie Johnson fans out there, especially when they'll get whatever issues the team has sorted out. (and yes I said WHEN because... you know)

The only people who aren't JJ fans are people who never listen to him and Knaus on the radio. After 5 minutes of the two of them just destroying each other, you'll be hooked. It's a delightful train wreck. :D

golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Raikkonen to Stewart-Haas next year?
http://autoweek.com/article/nascar-spri ... ascar-2017
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Now this is much more likely in the term of F1 drivers trying NASCAR:
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/grosj ... st-682458/
even if it's just for a one-off race.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

golic_2004 wrote:And... http://autoweek.com/article/nascar-spri ... ing-nascar
not happening. LOL

As crazy as it sounds it would probably be the only way to boost US sales in the short term after the emissions debacle.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

not happening. LOL

#AudiF1Confirmed.

Oh, wrong series.
#FreeGonzo
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

https://beyondtheflag.com/2016/03/23/na ... ufacturer/
well maybe it could happen after all? Interesting.
RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

DanielPT wrote:
not happening. LOL

As crazy as it sounds it would probably be the only way to boost US sales in the short term after the emissions debacle.

The other thing to take into account was that Audi's relationship with NASCAR/IMSA might be farther along than would otherwise be expected. Germany's Big 3 have been wanting to get a DTM USA series off the ground for the last few as a part of the Global "Class One" regulations. Class One is the informal name for the formula that's currently being used in both the DTM and in the Japanese Super GT GT500 cars. Representatives from NASCAR have partaken in these meetings with the ITR and GTA but little has been done by the Americans, and as far as I'm aware the relationship between the Germans and Japanese isn't too good right now. As for the DTM USA series, Merc, BMW and Audi want to play on US soil only if the American big three come to play too, but odds are they aren't going to.

So if the DTM USA series is never gonna happen, odds are Audi is going to want something else to do. Even with NASCAR's declining ratings, the potential returns for Audi far outweigh the expenditures.

If it's gonna happen, It's gonna be with Roger Penske. You heard it here first.
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series