The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
TomWazzleshaw

Re: The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing threa

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

AndreaModa wrote:
eichy wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:It sums up everything that's wrong about American motorsport when everyone creams their pants when "Darling Danica" does anything of any significance.

You don't think that that has ever occured in F1? It's not an American-only thing.

Name me one driver in F1 who is so fanatically followed by the press the way Danica Patrick is.

The ONE commentators have a 'crisis' as Mr Clarkson would put it every time Mark Webber does remotely well :roll:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

That wouldn't be AUSTRALIA'S Mark Webber would it? ;)
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

AndreaModa wrote:That wouldn't be AUSTRALIA'S Mark Webber would it? ;)

At least he's AUSTRALIA'S Mark Webber. It's still WESTERN AUSTRALIA'S Daniel Ricciardo :lol:
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Its beyond ridiculous the cover she gets in the states. Over here, the only coverage of USF1 were rumors that Danica was a "lock" for a seat. Said rumors often reffered to the team as "an attempt to bring Danica to F1" (no I'm not kidding). Scott Speed got zero coverage over here, what little is did get was centered on how sad it eas he changed his name. To get ahead (uh hello?). Everything Dancia does gets coverage. This week we had a full page article saying Danica no longer wants to be referred to as "sexy" because shes "pretty". Bikini spreads be damned! Lol

Espn is the worst. They used to scroll Indy finishes at the bottom of baseball games and it would list the top five than "Danica finishes X". No matter where she finished. Marty Reid once said "And Danica's making her run for the lead" after she made a pass to go from 19th to 18th with 10 laps to go......on a ROAD COURSE. Commentary partner Scott Goodyear literally said "Are you serious?"

That's why if shd wins ANY race (which she probably will eventually) every American Media outlet will cream themselves.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Johanna Long is a new name to me. Why so much publicity on Danica and so much less on Simona de Silvestro, Pippa Mann, Milka Duno (when she isn't being sooo slow), Johanna Long, etc.?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Two words: Sex Appeal. Danica does racy spreads in some adult magizines. Other drivers such as Sarah Fisher, Kat Legge, and Pippa Mann, arent considered (for whatever reason) sexy. And they let they're racing do the talking. Danica does TV ads (not that thats a bad thing, shes made a TON of money doind it) and it can be argued she isn't as focused on her driving. But more than that, she looks good in a thong, simple.

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

NASCAR, Y U NO RACE IN RAIN????
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Indycar proved what happens when you race on an oval in the wet....

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Wallio wrote:Indycar proved what happens when you race on an oval in the wet....

Which also proved what happens when you let the muppets run Race Control :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

buggaration! the punks down in race control postponed the race until tomorrow.

for the first time in this race's 53 year history. for the first time since NASCAR began racing on the beach in Daytona, for that matter.
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

nome66 wrote:buggaration! the punks down in race control postponed the race until tomorrow.

for the first time in this race's 53 year history. for the first time since NASCAR began racing on the beach in Daytona, for that matter.

Double buggaration!!! It starts when I'm at school. Now I have an excuse for not watching the race at all... I don't normally watch NASCAR and there's another reason why!!!!

There's also stale racing.
Trulli bad puns...
RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

JeremyMcClean wrote:I don't normally watch NASCAR and there's another reason why!!!!

There's also stale racing.

I don't always watch NASCAR,

But when I do, I make sure it's a road course race. and the Daytona 500, I guess.

The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Cynon

Post by Cynon »

You can not build rain tires for high banked ovals. They would be shredded way too quickly.

Fact of life a lot of people have problems understanding. :|
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

So much fail
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

In the two prior races this weekend, 62 of the 79 entries were involved in accidents. Lap 1 more of the same....

Dan B

Post by Dan B »

...and Montoya just took out a jet dryer.

Edit: Alright apparently something broke on Montoya's car and it snapped into the dryer. That's the only thing I can think that happened.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Went to get a snack under yellow, come back to a raging jet fuel fire. I have watched all forms of racing all my life, never seen anything like that.... :shock:

Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Rear end failure apparently. Still, though, what the flying bathplug?!?!?!

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Pieman

Post by Pieman »

Cynon wrote:Rear end failure apparently. Still, though, what the flying bathplug?!?!?!

Exactly what I was thinking - that has to be the most bizarre crash I have ever seen. Top four of Blaney, Cassill, Raines and Gilliland - if the track is damaged and they can't restart we will have the most Reject-tastic result in NASCAR history!
Forza Forti
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

If Dave Blaney wins I will run around celebrating
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

eurobrun wrote:If Dave Blaney wins I will run around celebrating

Dave Blaney is the Roberto Moreno of NASCAR.

nome66

Post by nome66 »

c'mon run the cars over the speedy-dry on turn 3 like the old beach race!

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

eurobrun wrote:If Dave Blaney wins I will run around celebrating

+1 My friends and I have started a "Call it! Call it!" Chant. Best top 5 EVER!

Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

And now the Tide's out!

RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

The conversation on Twitter has kept me nicely occupied (@RealRacingRoots, no shame) and seeing Brad have his phone in his car gave me a chuckle.

Back to Raw I go! (WWWYKI)

EDIT: And now rain too?
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Wallio wrote:Went to get a snack under yellow, come back to a raging jet fuel fire. I have watched all forms of racing all my life, never seen anything like that.... :shock:

According to the BBC sports news JPM escaped the fireball completely unharmed, thankfully.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

For those that missed all that was in the name of bathpluggery.

JPM thinks it's a transmission problem judging by the radio audio.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Wizzie wrote:For those that missed all that was in the name of bathpluggery.

Either that or something in the rear end, because it just suddenly went around. It's not like he Michael Waltriped and spun out being a complete noob.

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Bloody hell! It just blew up! Montoya must have been going at pretty much full whack to rupture the fuel tanks on that track dryer :o
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

East Londoner wrote:Bloody hell! It just blew up! Montoya must have been going at pretty much full whack to rupture the fuel tanks on that track dryer :o

One has to remember though Jet Fuel vapour in particular is notoriously volatile and will ignite at the slightest provocation.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Cynon wrote:
Wizzie wrote:For those that missed all that was in the name of bathpluggery.

Either that or something in the rear end, because it just suddenly went around. It's not like he Michael Waltriped and spun out being a complete noob.

Autosport are now reporting McMurrary had a similar problem in the other Ganassi car
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Wizzie wrote:
East Londoner wrote:Bloody hell! It just blew up! Montoya must have been going at pretty much full whack to rupture the fuel tanks on that track dryer :o

One has to remember though Jet Fuel vapour in particular is notoriously volatile and will ignite at the slightest provocation.

Montoya was lucky to leave unscathed from that crash. And we should thank the tanks that those cars are for not having yet another serious accident.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
mario

Post by mario »

DanielPT wrote:
Wizzie wrote:

Montoya was lucky to leave unscathed from that crash. And we should thank the tanks that those cars are for not having yet another serious accident.

Yes, it is quite lucky that all he seems to have suffered from in that accident was a bruised ankle, but I'd say that the driver of the truck is probably much more fortunate given that he probably didn't have anything like the same level of protection that Montoya did. Interestingly, Montoya's team mate, Jamie McMurray, has also come on the record to say that he felt that his car also suffered from a similar problem, as he says that the rear wheels on his car seemed to lock up as well.
"I don't know if the transmission locked up or the rear end. Something broke in the car, and it was actually freakishly something similar to I think what happened to the #42 [Montoya].
"So, I'm not real sure what happened. It was like the back tyres locked up, and I started spinning."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97714
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

The driver of the jet drier was held over night at the hospital, but should be ok. Truck and crew were from MIS, what an expensive loan that turned out to be!

The strangeness continues however. Landon Cassill reports his rental car was towed during the race!

howardmb

Montoya sets Daytona ablaze

Post by howardmb »

I know not many people here watch NASCAR but it appears a F1 grad, JPM, set a record of sorts as he crashed into a track maintenance vehicle and set it ablaze.

http://www.nascar.com/video/post-race/highlights/120227/cup-day-high-eight/index.html?MostPopular.

This kind of thing has never happened before. He was driving hard under caution and lost control, then swerved into a truck that has a jet dryer on the back and was trying to dry off the track from the recent rains. The resulting fire forced the race to suspend for some time before it restarted. It certainly wasn't his most glorious moment in racing. At first, it was thought something broke on the car but the latest thinking is no, nothing broke, he just lost control. No one was seriously injured.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Montoya sets Daytona ablaze

Post by DanielPT »

Well, we are proud of being a pluricultural forum assembling very diverse tastes. So much so that we even encourage members to watch other forms of motorsport. For this purpose it was created a sub forum which incorporates several threads dedicated to other racing series including, of course, NASCAR (link), where fellow forumites can discuss related events like this one. This particular event is already there, so go check it out! :)
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

What the bloody heck happened to Montoya? Did his brakes fail?
Trulli bad puns...
nome66

Post by nome66 »

here's what happened.
he went to the pits because he was feeling a vibration every time he changed gears. they checked and found nothing wrong. during the caution period, he was driving at full chat around the track to catch up to the field and not lose another lap. while entering turn 3, his car shuttered and his rear differential failed catastrophically, causing him to spin to the right and into the Jet Dryer truck. the truck exploded, and JPM went tumbling back down the banking on fire.
the Jet Dryer was leaking Kerosene and something sparked and it burst into flames. took about 10 minutes to put it out.

Cynon

Post by Cynon »

It also took two hours for the race to restart... in the meantime, Brad Keselowski was having fun on Twitter.