Forum Facts

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
mario

Re: Forum Facts

Post by mario »

dr-baker wrote:
Jocke1 wrote:Aww man, you should have waited until 10:49, instead of 15:23. Who knows what would have happened? Your car might have transformed into a Lola or something.

Also, I find it confusing that your panel shows a mixture between the U.S. systems and the European systems. I thought along with the miles, your panel would show fahrenheit and 3:23pm, not celsius and 15:23.
So two out of three are European and one U.S. (miles).

In speech, I always revert to the 12-hour system. I just had it on 24-hour for when I did community care work, which worked on a 24-hour clock system. If there were an analogue clock system, I'ld have used that... And temperature is one where I consistently use Celcius. Unless it's a hot summer's day, in which case, the temperature will be 90 to 100 degrees... ;)

And for everything else in my life, I use imperial. Weight (in stones, not just pounds like the US), height, measurements, baking, etc. Oh and milk and bar drinks are always in pints, of the 568 ml variety!

In my case it tends to depend on the circumstances - for most daily applications I'd probably use metric for measurements, for example, but for journeys I'd use imperial because the distances are given in miles rather than km. Mind you, the engineering sector is a little odd as, in some areas, some bits of kit are still obviously imperial in origin (e.g. what was in the past a four inch sample is now a 102mm sample).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

mario wrote:In my case it tends to depend on the circumstances - for most daily applications I'd probably use metric for measurements, for example, but for journeys I'd use imperial because the distances are given in miles rather than km. Mind you, the engineering sector is a little odd as, in some areas, some bits of kit are still obviously imperial in origin (e.g. what was in the past a four inch sample is now a 102mm sample).

And tyres tend to be oddest, being a combination of metric and imperial, correct? Inches for the diameter and mm/cm for the tread width?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

dr-baker wrote:
Salamander wrote:I've never used Farenheit in my life. Then again, the fact I'm 22 probably has something to do with that. I can't ever imagine willingly using Farenheit for measuring things. Even by Imperial standards, the reference points set for it are absurd.

Yeah, 32 degrees as the freezing point of water, 212 degrees as the boiling point, and 100 degrees being somebody with a high fever or a very hot day indeed isn't very helpful.

As Daniel Fahrenheit originally conceived the scale, 0°F was the lowest temperature obtainable with an ice-salt mixture, and 100°F was human body temperature. The scale went through several refinements (including the repositioning of human body temperature at 96°F - it didn't stay there) before being finally standardised with the two points that look arbitrary - but aren't when viewed in the context of the original proposal. Before I found any of that out, I'd assumed that the derivation of the Fahrenheit scale must have been something to do with circles, with the 180° difference between the freezing and boiling points of water; in reality it was more down to luck than judgement.

It's also worth noting that the Celsius scale may be metric, but for any scientific calculations, it'll be Kelvin or nothing at all.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
mario

Post by mario »

dr-baker wrote:
mario wrote:In my case it tends to depend on the circumstances - for most daily applications I'd probably use metric for measurements, for example, but for journeys I'd use imperial because the distances are given in miles rather than km. Mind you, the engineering sector is a little odd as, in some areas, some bits of kit are still obviously imperial in origin (e.g. what was in the past a four inch sample is now a 102mm sample).

And tyres tend to be oddest, being a combination of metric and imperial, correct? Inches for the diameter and mm/cm for the tread width?

That's true - I guess that it is considered more convenient to use a round number like 16 inches for the rim rather than 40.6cm, but otherwise it seems odd to mix and match the two units like that.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Is there a characters limit in a post?
-*:-
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Jocke1 wrote:Is there a characters limit in a post?

Nope, according to the ACP.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Late reply of the imperial/metric debate but...

In real life I use metric (always, AM and PM is not normal here :lol: )

Here comes the irregularity. When watching F1 and many races, I use km/h. But for Indycar and Nascar only, I can understand mph :? I can't understand lap times on ovals using km/h. So describing speeds would 240 mph, 200 mph. But for F1 I kept use km/h. The strangest thing is, I understand the conversion of both, yet can't implemented those outside the I told ones :? (I.e. describing town distances in miles)
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Id be surprised if there was based on some of the War & Peace-esque posts Ive seen knocking about :lol:
Just For One Day...
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

CoopsII wrote:

Id be surprised if there was based on some of the War & Peace-esque posts Ive seen knocking about :lol:

I think mario's posts prove that there probably isn't
I like the way Snrub thinks!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Hmm, let's see:

Snow White
Dopey
Doc
Sneezy
Happy
Grumpy
Sleepy
Bashful
Cinderella
Prince Charming
The Little Mermaid
Mickey Mouse
Minnie Mouse
Donald Duck
Daisy Duck
Goofy
Pluto
Big Pete
Nemo
Dory
Marlin
Merlin
King Arthur
Lancelot
Genevieve
Lightening McQueen
Mater
Sally
Mary Poppins
Mr and Mrs Banks
Shrek
Donkey
The King and Queen of Far Far Away
Princess Fiona
Rumpulstiltskin (or however you spell his name)
Rapunzel
Goldilocks
Marty McFly
Doc Brown
Uncle Joey
Mr Stricklin
Biff Tannen
George McFly
Lorraine Baines
Willy Wonka
Michel Vaillant
Big Brother
Winston Smith
Julia
Phileas Fogg
Passepartout

Well, there are 51 characters right there... Seems to accept 51 characters OK!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

FullMetalJack wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

I think mario's posts prove that there probably isn't

Well there is a limit of some kind, though. Three times it has happened to myself in the past
when I have tried to put up a thread that wasn't particularly short. Two Luca Badoer threads
and one virtual driver career. No matter what I tried the forum just wouldn't have it. There were no
foreign characters, just a lot of text and a few images.

For some reason the forum do accept to show a preview of the long posts, but not to actually post them.
So in those three instances above, I had to create screen prints of the thread preview instead, and post that in favor of the
real text.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5043
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Jocke1 wrote:Image

I've occasionally got that myself, albeit not for a while. And it has not been with longer posts - that MasterCard Lola post is probably about the longest post by far that I have attempted.
MCard LOLA
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

dr-baker wrote:Whenever I see that roblomas has posted something, I keep reading his name as Ro Blo Mas instead of Rob Lomas. *Gallic shrug*
I know this post is old but
I always read dr-baker as "D.R. Baker", not "Doctor Baker" :lol:
Trump 2016
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Dark77 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Whenever I see that roblomas has posted something, I keep reading his name as Ro Blo Mas instead of Rob Lomas. *Gallic shrug*
I know this post is old but
I always read dr-baker as "D.R. Baker", not "Doctor Baker" :lol:

And that would be accurate, for I am not a doctor, and my initials are, indeed, D.R.!
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

dr-baker wrote:
Dark77 wrote:I know this post is old but I always read dr-baker as "D.R. Baker", not "Doctor Baker" :lol:

And that would be accurate, for I am not a doctor, and my initials are, indeed, D.R.!

I didnt know that. I didnt think you were a doctor but I did absentmindedly think you were perhaps studying to be.

Rest assured though, I am the son of the original Coops ;)
Just For One Day...
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

CoopsII wrote:
dr-baker wrote:
Dark77 wrote:I know this post is old but I always read dr-baker as "D.R. Baker", not "Doctor Baker" :lol:

I didnt know that. I didnt think you were a doctor but I did absentmindedly think you were perhaps studying to be.

And I am obviously a salamander, one which has been cured of blindness and no longer lives in a cave.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Salamander wrote:
CoopsII wrote:
dr-baker wrote:And that would be accurate, for I am not a doctor, and my initials are, indeed, D.R.!

And I am obviously a salamander, one which has been cured of blindness and no longer lives in a cave.

And I was The Stig on the Australian localised version of Top Gear.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

...and I am an Alfa Romeo test driver? :?
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Biscione wrote:...and I am an Alfa Romeo test driver? :?

I keep wanting to believe that "Biscione" is Italian for "Biscuit", but I have no idea if it is or not...
MCard LOLA
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

dr-baker wrote:
Biscione wrote:...and I am an Alfa Romeo test driver? :?

I keep wanting to believe that "Biscione" is Italian for "Biscuit", but I have no idea if it is or not...

Biscione means Grass Snake - it's the emblem of Milan, and so forms part of the Alfa Romeo logo, as well as being a key symbol of Internazionale Milano. But well, most people prefer to call me Biscotti, which really does mean biscuit... :roll:
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

AustralianStig wrote:
Salamander wrote:
CoopsII wrote:I didnt know that. I didnt think you were a doctor but I did absentmindedly think you were perhaps studying to be.

And I was The Stig on the Australian localised version of Top Gear.

And I am a teenager called Rob who couldn't be bothered to come up with creative username :lol:
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

I am very specific.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

And I'm... actually I won't bother, that joke has been made by myself and others about a million times before.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Me? Just a big fan of Rubens Barrichello! :lol:
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I am a bad disease...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I am the wind on the sea;
I am the wave of the sea;
I am the bull of seven battles;
I am the eagle on the rock;
I am a flash from the sun;
I am the most beautiful of plants;
I am a strong wild boar;
I am a salmon in the water;
I am a lake in the plain;
I am the word of knowledge;
I am the head of the spear in battle;
I am... AY CARAMBA MY CAR'S ON FIRE!
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

...And I am a law unto myself...
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Sorry for double-posting, but what happened to StgPepper posting Emma Watson stuff? Or did he get dumped?
MCard LOLA
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

I am a joke.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

And I am a Cockney (but evidently not a very good one, to my despair :( )
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

I am a diminutive followed by an initialism :P
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

I am God. :P
TORA! TORA! TORA!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

East Londoner wrote:And I am a Cockney (but evidently not a very good one, to my despair :( )

Try including some rhyming slang, even if its ones you make up like Danny Dyer, that might help.
Just For One Day...
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

I am ice-man
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

dr-baker wrote: And that would be accurate, for I am not a doctor, and my initials are, indeed, D.R.!

I read it as doctor, too.

tommykl wrote:I am a diminutive followed by an initialism :P

I always read your username as tommy kuala lumpur.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Jocke1 wrote:
dr-baker wrote: And that would be accurate, for I am not a doctor, and my initials are, indeed, D.R.!

I think that's what it actually means...
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

This wrote:
Jocke1 wrote:

I think that's what it actually means...

That is indeed what it means :)
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Then what do I win? :)
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Jocke1 wrote:Then what do I win? :)

A GCSE grade A*!
MCard LOLA
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

The top 50 scariest movies of all time.. according to Boston.com, converted to most active F1R members;
http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/top-sca ... l#slide-51

1. ‘The Thing’ (1982) Wizzie
2. ‘Jaws’ (1975) dr-baker
3. ‘The Exorcist’ (1973) Biscione
4. ‘Poltergeist’ (1982) Phoenix
5. ‘Ju-on’ (2002) Salamander
6. ‘Night of the Living Dead’ (1968) RonDenisDeletraz
7. ‘Halloween’ (1978) mario
8. ‘The Texas Chainsaw Massacre’ (1974) FullMetalJack
9. ‘Alien’ (1979) Klon
10. ‘The Ring’ (2002) DanielPT
11. ‘The Shining’ (1980) CarlosFerreira