Worst F1 Liveries

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Cynon

Re: Worst F1 Liveries

Post by Cynon »

Dan B wrote:Why is it that with all the tin-top/stock car racing series NASCAR somehow gets the ugliest car schemes?

I beg to differ.

I would like to know which preschool was allowed to design this car;

Just so they can never design another livery again.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Cynon wrote:I would like to know which preschool was allowed to design this car;
Just so they can never design another livery again.

His name is Nick Moss. He designs a lot of liveries for the V8 grid. He did the Orrcon and Trading Post FPRs, the Rod Nash Racing Bottle-O entry, Jonathon Webb's Mother Energy Falcon (including the Star Wars Blu-ray release Webb ran at Philip Islan), the Kelly Brothers' Jack Daniels designs and the second Pepsi Crew livery this season as well. So I wouldn't blame him - the Pepsi Max livery might not have been the greatest in the world, but the Mother Energy one in particular is fantastic. Sift through this (he uses the name 'mosscano') and you'll find some good concepts. If you want to blame someone for the Pepsi design, blame Pepsi. They're the ones who wanted a livery inspired by street art. That said, I like the Pepsi Max designs. They've gotten better as they've introduced new ones; the latest one is jet black with purple and green ribbons like the 'tribal' designs on the Virgin VR-01.

If you want a bad V8 livery, try this one:
It's the Shannons Insurance/Mars entry being prepared as a Bathurst wildcard by Kelly Racing. It will be driven by Grant Denyer and the winner of the "Shannons Supercar Showdown", a reality television contest to make a V8 Sueprcar driver out of an ordinary Australian (but it's wildly over-produced and is basically a vehicle to show how "cool" the Kelly brothers are).

Anyway, it's a little difficult to see, but this livery has a massive problem: the black. It's mostly green, but there's a streak of black across the back quarter. It's got a tiny little mars logo on it, so there's this weird open space all of it that just looks awkward. A bigger logo would make it better, but would rival the Shannons one, and they're the title sponsor.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Jordan 192

Jordan 193

Jordan 194

Jordan 195

Jordan 196

Minardi M194

Pacific PR01

Force India VJM-01
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

I really hated last year's Mercedes livery. It was so cheap, with that matte grey with graphite black and turquoise blue arranged carelessly. The grey used in this year's car looks much better and the turquoise is much better arranged.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Phoenix wrote:I really hated last year's Mercedes livery. It was so cheap, with that matte grey with graphite black and turquoise blue arranged carelessly. The grey used in this year's car looks much better and the turquoise is much better arranged.

Silver and turquoise looks amazing together, but only if done correctly.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

redbulljack14 wrote:
Phoenix wrote:I really hated last year's Mercedes livery. It was so cheap, with that matte grey with graphite black and turquoise blue arranged carelessly. The grey used in this year's car looks much better and the turquoise is much better arranged.

Silver and turquoise looks amazing together, but only if done correctly.

I don't think this year's Mercedes livery is very good either because teal and silver don't work well together at all unless you have black in there.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

redbulljack14 wrote:Minardi M194

That is a poor man's Jordan in my books :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Frentzen127

Post by Frentzen127 »

Wizzie wrote:
redbulljack14 wrote:Minardi M194

That is a poor man's Jordan in my books :lol:

Mind you I think it looked better with the darker blue in the sidepods:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/antsphoto/4990533057/
DEPORTIVO CA... pfft hahaha can't say that with a straight face!
Misses Minardi dearly. :(
PLAYLIFE

Post by PLAYLIFE »

Surprised to see some liveries people consider to be ugly here, like the Ligier JS39, Benetton B186 and Lola T93/30 which at the time was said to be a great looking livery. But I guess it's all subjective!

My ugliest liveries would include:
Honda RA107
Williams FW20/21
BAR 001

I'd like to add:

RB3 @ British GP (for charity I know but damn it was ugly)

1977-1982
Gli Anni Della Febbre
Gilles Villeneuve
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Ladies and ... men, we have a new contender!

Do you know what I think of when I hear the words "Formula 1"? It's not the pinnacle of motorsport. It's not cutting edge technology. It's not Spa-Francorchamps and Monaco.

No, when I hear "Formula 1", I instantly think of lightning-powered Bollywood superheroes, and Force India have read my mind:

mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Captain Hammer wrote:Image

That dude looks like that Brazilian (?) in DTM Race Driver 2 - you know, the one that gets punched out by your manager.
jpm

Post by jpm »

Ryan McKne yes I remember :lol:

On the subject of V8s, I loved the Pat Lon/ Fabian Coulthard Bundaberg car at the gold coast 600.

http://www.speedcafe.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/61-344x224.jpg
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

jpm wrote:Ryan McKne yes I remember :lol:

I thought Ryan McKane was the guy in the first game. The Brazilian guy is called Cesar... something.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

kostas22 wrote:V8 Supercars?
I never liked the K-Mart Racing Team livery at all.

ImageImage

'Ey! While I was racing myself (before a stupid brain injury, oh well) - the logo of my team was insipired by that livery - it is amazing!

Edit: Ryan McKane is the guy in TOCA/DTM/V8 Race Driver 1 ;)
stupot94

Post by stupot94 »

I like the white. Dont like the 'flowers'
Say your prayers, here comes the Pastor
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Post by Sunshine_Baby_[IT] »

PLAYLIFE wrote:RB3 @ British GP (for charity I know but damn it was ugly)

This one in my opinion is the worst one! :shock:
I'm Perry McCarthy and Taki Inoue's fan number 1 and I always will be.

My twitter: @Miluuu_Sunshine
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Sunshine_Baby_[IT] wrote:
PLAYLIFE wrote:RB3 @ British GP (for charity I know but damn it was ugly)

This one in my opinion is the worst one! :shock:

It looks a bit like someone was sick on it.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

stupot94 wrote:Image
I like the white. Dont like the 'flowers'

...which was part of El Charro's logo that was all over the car like a particularly nasty rash.

Just wait until you all see what I've done for the upcoming 2014 F1RMGP AGS...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

I never liked Tyrrell's 1991 livery. Some red outlines would save it, but without them it looks bland.
stupot94

Post by stupot94 »

Pointrox wrote:I never liked Tyrrell's 1991 livery. Some red outlines would save it, but without them it looks bland.

A bit too dark at the back. I think the guy with the white paint went on strike
James1978

Post by James1978 »

That car (The 1991 Tyrrell) when viewed from the front always reminded me of a badger. :)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

James1978 wrote:That car (The 1991 Tyrrell) when viewed from the front always reminded me of a badger. :)

I think it looks like a skunk... Because it stinks!! Boom Boom.

I'll get my coat...
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

AdrianSutil wrote:
James1978 wrote:That car (The 1991 Tyrrell) when viewed from the front always reminded me of a badger. :)

I'll get my coat...

When I read the joke for the second time I automatically read it using a Basil Brush voice, which made the joke funnier :lol:
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

AdrianSutil wrote:

I'll get my coat...

Oh Dear Lord, go and watch some old races like the 1996 Monaco GP, that's the only thing that can save you now...
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

stupot94 wrote:
Pointrox wrote:I never liked Tyrrell's 1991 livery. Some red outlines would save it, but without them it looks bland.

I hate white cars, it generally looks half-assed and very very boring. If I was in charge of F1, one thing I would do was prevent teams from running a predominantly white car because it screams BORING (Force India aside, they did it right) and UNINSPIRED.

I really like that car actually, and it looks like there are red outlines on there. Either that or lack of sleep is taking hold on me.

Sidenote: That car reminds me of Bryan Herta's Shell livery, which was one of the best ever.

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Cynon wrote:
stupot94 wrote:

I hate white cars, it generally looks half-assed and very very boring. If I was in charge of F1, one thing I would do was prevent teams from running a predominantly white car because it screams BORING (Force India aside, they did it right) and UNINSPIRED.

I really like that car actually, and it looks like there are red outlines on there. Either that or lack of sleep is taking hold on me.

Sidenote: That car reminds me of Bryan Herta's Shell livery, which was one of the best ever.

Just because you can paint doesn't mean other people can :roll:
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

The Tyrrell livery is actually quite interesting. I've built the 1:20 Tamiya model of it, and the black is in fact a very dark metallic grey, with the exception of the rear wing which is black. It does have red outlines too around the white parts, though they are very thin. I quite like the livery really, it's neat, tidy and the sponsor logos don't really detract from it as they are all co-ordinated in white.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

You're looking for ugly Tyrrells? Look no further than this...

More relevant because it was designed by the same man who will design next year's Williams.
stupot94

Post by stupot94 »

I find the 98 Minardi to cluttered. In one of my books seeing all the great looking 98 cars e.g. McLaren, Arrows, Ferrari. I thought the Minardi looked too......"American" It may also need less silver
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

I find the 98 Minardi to cluttered. In one of my books seeing all the great looking 98 cars e.g. McLaren, Arrows, Ferrari. I thought the Minardi looked too......"American" It may also need less silver

Careful now...
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Proof that Minardi survived all these years, thanks to a host of little sponsors.

Anyway, I always liked that Minardi. Their 1997 car was awful though, pretty sure it's already been mentioned in here.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

stupot94

Post by stupot94 »

shinji wrote:

Careful now...

I like Minardi, And I like Shinji,Shinji.

However I don't care much for their 98 livery. Or their 2000 "Jordanish" livery.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I've just worked out what the 1991 Tyrrell reminds me of. Here's a clue.

By the way, I do have my asbestos papaya shield at the ready.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

dinizintheoven wrote:I've just worked out what the 1991 Tyrrell reminds me of. Here's a clue.

Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:I've just worked out what the 1991 Tyrrell reminds me of. Here's a clue.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

However, these are so much more awesome, they are causing a commotion... 8-)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
stupot94

Post by stupot94 »

Cynon wrote:I hate white cars, it generally looks half-assed and very very boring. If I was in charge of F1, one thing I would do was prevent teams from running a predominantly white car because it screams BORING (Force India aside, they did it right) and UNINSPIRED.

Mind you when you look at the Brawn GP car and Mercedes 2010 car. I would prefer the Brawn
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

Wasn't one of the later Toyotas (TF105-TF108) nicknamed "mushroom" in Japan, due to the proliferation of vaguely fungus-shaped appendages on its bodywork?
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Phoenix wrote:You're looking for ugly Tyrrells? Look no further than this...

More relevant because it was designed by the same man who will design next year's Williams.

Looks like a G-Force Indycar to be honest...

Looked like a typical European car to me! ;)

I liked the Brawn GP car because the livery actually looked like it had some thought put into it to make it appealing.

AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

I don't think much thought went into the Brawn car. How hard can it be to paint it White and add a flourescent stripe down it...
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

Another bad livery. Minardi PS01 - make no mistake, it looked awful, whether it had Magnum logos on it (which actually saved it a bit):

Or those stripes (which made it look fugly):