Your Reject of the Race - Monza!

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Captain Hammer

Your Reject of the Race - Monza!

Post by Captain Hammer »

Now that it's Saturday, let's see who can out-Reject one another.

So far, my votes go to GP2 drivers Jules Bianchi and Giedo van der Garde despite being in contention for second place overall in the series, both of them qualified on the tenth row of the grid and variously blamed poor handling (Bianchi) and bad luck (van der Garde) for their results. Quite embarrasing since the other contender for runner-up, Charles Pic, is much closer to the pointy end of the grid. And Bianchi and van der Garde both have aspirations of Formula 1 some day ...
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Peter

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Monza!

Post by Peter »

Just saying, This website is F1 Rejects, not GP2 Rejects.
"The FIA's implementation of penalties is about as effective as that of the English football team."
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Nico Rosberg.

Seriously, WTF dude, wake up, the HRTs are flying past you at an alarming rate.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Peter

Post by Peter »

kostas22 wrote:Nico Rosberg.

He had car issues this morning, including his KERS. Nothing worth nominating for RoTR.
"The FIA's implementation of penalties is about as effective as that of the English football team."
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

Peter wrote:
kostas22 wrote:Nico Rosberg.

He had car issues this morning, including his KERS. Nothing worth nominating for RoTR.

Welcome to F1Rejects, where being in a superior car and then being outpaced by the backmarkers is unacceptable (but welcome) no matter the conditions.
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Peter wrote:Just saying, This website is F1 Rejects, not GP2 Rejects.

Jules Bianchi is touted as The Next Big Thing by Ferrari. Giedo van der Garde was attempting to secure a seat for this season, and has said that he is speaking to three teams for 2012. Both of them are trying to break into Formula 1, and given that they're at the front end of the GP2 field, there's a good chance they will do it in the near future because there's a spate of drivers - Schumacher, Barrichello, Trulli, etc. - who will be retiring within the next few years. And yet, for the rising stars of open-wheel motorsport, they have a bad qualifying session when they're in contention for the runner-up position in the championship and make lame excuses for their poor performances. That's not very becoming of budding Formula 1 stars.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Captain Hammer wrote:
Peter wrote:Just saying, This website is F1 Rejects, not GP2 Rejects.

Jules Bianchi is touted as The Next Big Thing by Ferrari. Giedo van der Garde was attempting to secure a seat for this season, and has said that he is speaking to three teams for 2012. Both of them are trying to break into Formula 1, and given that they're at the front end of the GP2 field, there's a good chance they will do it in the near future because there's a spate of drivers - Schumacher, Barrichello, Trulli, etc. - who will be retiring within the next few years. And yet, for the rising stars of open-wheel motorsport, they have a bad qualifying session when they're in contention for the runner-up position in the championship and make lame excuses for their poor performances. That's not very becoming of budding Formula 1 stars.

Not to mention Bianchi having more accidents than de Cesaris in the first half of the season :roll:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Okay, here's a prime candidate:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/94412

No, not the FIA - the teams (*cough*redbull!*cough*) that were willing to ignore Pirelli's camber settings for the sake of a faster lap time, even though they kne wblistering was an issue.
mario

Post by mario »

Captain Hammer wrote:Okay, here's a prime candidate:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/94412

No, not the FIA - the teams (*cough*redbull!*cough*) that were willing to ignore Pirelli's camber settings for the sake of a faster lap time, even though they kne wblistering was an issue.

That said, Red Bull might still be worried that, according to Ted Kravitz, there were still some signs of blistering this weekend on Vettel's car, even though they have reduced the amount of camber on their tyres following the advice given by Pirelli.

However, it's worth noting that Red Bull aren't the only team suffering from problems - Button was also reporting problems with blistering yesterday (and Hamilton too, I believe), and Pirelli are indicating that blistering could be fairly widespread throughout the field, so perhaps it's a little harsh to single out Red Bull.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

If blistering is occuring within the range dictated by Pirelli, then yes - it's a little harsh. But that's not what I was saying. I was pointing out the teams that were willing to ignore Pirelli's advice for the sake of a better lap time despite knowing full well that blistering could be a problem. Obviously someone was doing it if the FIA had to force them to observe Pirelli's parameters.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Red Bull Racing.

Boring, anyone?

Maybe this belongs in the Rantbox thread, but geez... I'm getting sick of this.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

The usual nomination: McLaren qualifying suits - they are still not good... and what is with this silly Senna-slogan?
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Captain Hammer wrote:And yet, for the rising stars of open-wheel motorsport, they have a bad qualifying session when they're in contention for the runner-up position in the championship and make lame excuses for their poor performances. That's not very becoming of budding Formula 1 stars.

Is it not? Formula 1 drivers and making excuses for absolutely anything go hand in hand like... Lewis Hamilton and Adrian Sutil.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
razta

Post by razta »

For me, it's Lewis Hamilton, he botched up 3 drivers' hot laps and got P3 in the process! :evil:
Michael's stated it as
Michael Schumacher
“Qualifying today went mostly according to plan. I don’t think we could have taken much more; maybe I could have ended up one place higher. I didn’t have an ideal fast lap as I tried to use the slip stream from Lewis but then he locked up in the second chicane which made me lock up too. However I will be on soft tyres tomorrow which should be better for my race. As our race pace looked quite good yesterday, I was more focusing on the race and trying to use the tyres in the right way. For tomorrow, I will try to get a good start and take it from there.”
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

razta wrote:For me, it's Lewis Hamilton, he botched up 3 drivers' hot laps and got P3 in the process! :evil:
Michael's stated it as
Michael Schumacher
“Qualifying today went mostly according to plan. I don’t think we could have taken much more; maybe I could have ended up one place higher. I didn’t have an ideal fast lap as I tried to use the slip stream from Lewis but then he locked up in the second chicane which made me lock up too. However I will be on soft tyres tomorrow which should be better for my race. As our race pace looked quite good yesterday, I was more focusing on the race and trying to use the tyres in the right way. For tomorrow, I will try to get a good start and take it from there.”

Surely that's Schumacher's problem if he was trying to catch a tow off Hamilton.
razta

Post by razta »

fjackdaw wrote:
razta wrote:For me, it's Lewis Hamilton, he botched up 3 drivers' hot laps and got P3 in the process! :evil:
Michael's stated it as
Michael Schumacher

Surely that's Schumacher's problem if he was trying to catch a tow off Hamilton.

behind Schumi were Alonso and Massa, who were trying exactly the same thing
mario

Post by mario »

fjackdaw wrote:
Michael's stated it as
Michael Schumacher

Exactly - if you're following another driver in fairly close company, you have to be prepared for both the benefits and the risks associated with that. Besides, as Schumacher points out, overall it probably would have made relatively little difference to the overall format of the grid - Massa and Alonso probably would have remained roughly where they were, as would Schumacher, so it's probably had very little impact on the race overall.

Captain Hammer wrote:If blistering is occuring within the range dictated by Pirelli, then yes - it's a little harsh. But that's not what I was saying. I was pointing out the teams that were willing to ignore Pirelli's advice for the sake of a better lap time despite knowing full well that blistering could be a problem. Obviously someone was doing it if the FIA had to force them to observe Pirelli's parameters.

The point is that McLaren, for example, seemed to be having a few minor problems despite sticking to the limits that Pirelli had set (or, at the very least, not exceeding them in the way that Red Bull was alleged to). In addition, as others have pointed out, including Eddie Jordan (in a rare moment where he showed off his more technical side), there is also the question of toe angles, which is often interlinked with camber, as that can also have a major impact (and is not being strictly regulated in the way that the camber setting are).
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

I do love your essays Mario.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

At the moment, the clear candidate has to be Torro Rosso.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

Hispania Racing Team.
Message me on Discord.
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

Shadaza wrote:Hispania Racing Team.

One year, they have a Monaco-spec aero package. The next, their one by turn 1. Although I think Liuzzi set a record for highest position a HRT has been :lol:
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
tkcom

Post by tkcom »

Liuzzi I don't need the entire race distance to make this decision.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Obviously Liuzzi. Although for a split second, he was 6th!!
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Luizzi. This one's a no-brainer.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Mark webber - Poor start, lame move on Massa and off at Parabolica. Poor weekend

Honourable mention to Martin Brundle I quote "black out the G on his back as red bull gives you wins" truly the lamest pun I have ever heard
Last edited by sswishbone on 11 Sep 2011, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Eryx

Post by Eryx »

Liuzzi for ruining petrov's, roseberg's, barrichello's and Kobi's race.

Webber for doing a stupid move.

Vettel for just boring me xD
Beauty is in the eye of the Badoer. :D
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Before jumping on the anti-Liuzzi bandwagon, I want to see a replay of that start - it looked to me like a car forced him onto the grass.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Sauber's gearboxes - robbing a chance of scoring a possible 7th from Perez and a possible 10th from Kobayashi!

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Well, here are some outsider nominations for you:

One Of The Lotus - I don't know who did it, but one of the Lotus cars forced Liuzzi on the grass, therefore being the ultimate cause for this accident.

Pastor Maldonado - his start is really the best start one could hope for in his position, his team mate instead has everything that could go wrong go wrong for him - and it's mostly not his fault - and in the end, he is only one position ahead of him come the finish line. This guy is pretty much secured for 2012, whereas Barrichello is not ... and Williams wonder why nobody takes them seriously anymore.
QuickYoda41

Post by QuickYoda41 »

Shizuka wrote:Sauber's gearboxes - robbing a chance of scoring a possible 7th from Perez and a possible 10th from Kobayashi!

Seconded
mario

Post by mario »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:Before jumping on the anti-Liuzzi bandwagon, I want to see a replay of that start - it looked to me like a car forced him onto the grass.

He was, by the looks of things, though it doesn't change the fact that he still took out quite a few drivers - though, looking at that, how did Rubens manage to get down from that kerb after he beached the car on it? Did the stewards push him off the kerb in the end, because then he might be done for outside assistance.

Still, HRT takes this fairly comfortably - asides from Liuzzi's accident, Ricciardo stalling on the grid, before the "did he, didn't he?" question of whether he had retired, and, ultimately, a pointless return to the race (because he finished 14 laps down and therefore ineligible for classification).
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

I refuse to nominate HRT, because sending Ricciardo back out was probably the only thing that kept One HD from not showing the race anymore :lol:

Instead, I'd say Sauber's gearboxes. The age of bulletproof reliability, and both of them manage to blow up.
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

the Masked Lapwing wrote:I refuse to nominate HRT, because sending Ricciardo back out was probably the only thing that kept One HD from not showing the race anymore :lol:

Instead, I'd say Sauber's gearboxes. The age of bulletproof reliability, and both of them manage to blow up.

I'd say gearboxes in general. D'Ambrosio lost second gear on the warm-up lap and fourth gear on lap 1, that's how he retired.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Klon wrote:One Of The Lotus - I don't know who did it, but one of the Lotus cars forced Liuzzi on the grass, therefore being the ultimate cause for this accident.

I disagree. If you look at the playback, he's well around the Lotus and back onto the track, then goes back onto the grass to overtake someone else (a Williams or a Sauber - Kobayashi, I think), which was his own decision, so I think it was definitely Tonio's fault.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVGNrjGXjGI
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Liuzzi - Thanks for making us laugh, Tonio

Webber - sigh....
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
tc3j3r

Post by tc3j3r »

Vitantonio Liuzzi for causing the carnage at the start. Dishonourable mention to Webber for causing the collision with Massa.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

fjackdaw wrote:
Klon wrote:One Of The Lotus - I don't know who did it, but one of the Lotus cars forced Liuzzi on the grass, therefore being the ultimate cause for this accident.

I disagree. If you look at the playback, he's well around the Lotus and back onto the track, then goes back onto the grass to overtake someone else (a Williams or a Sauber - Kobayashi, I think), which was his own decision, so I think it was definitely Tonio's fault.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVGNrjGXjGI

What happened was Liuzzi moved to the right of the Lotus, partially in line with the grass, and the Lotus (I think it might be Trulli) refused to let him fully on to the track, despite the fact that there was plenty of room to the outside. I think this is at about the braking point for the first corner because it looks like everyone around Liuzzi's slowing down, but because he was on the grass, he's missed the braking point, tries to rejoin but is right behind a Sauber and has to move to avoid it, except that the only place to go is back on the grass. He only touches it slightly, but because he's already too fast he loses control and that triggers the crash. Liuzzi was damned if he did, and damned if he didn't.

Mark Webber and Sauber's gearboxes are my nominations.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Considering that Alonso and Vettel also went to the grass and got away with it... I'm resisting the temptation to nominate Liuzzi.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
lostpin

Post by lostpin »

I think Webber has it this time... mediocre quali and unnecessary collision with Massa. And that wheel lock at Parabolica... that even happens in Rfactor, when you lack the front wing... :D He should have seen it coming...
An animator that happens to love racing... :)
http://lostpin.net
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Webber is very close to winning it for me, for a poor Friday and Saturday, average start, and clumsy crash with Massa. However, that's probably the F1 karma gods paying back Massa for his very similar incident with Hamilton at Fuji in 2008. That's Webber's 3rd bad year in a row at Monza.

However, I have to give it to HRT for one of the most embarrassing starts to a race I've ever seen from a team. One car doesn't move off the grid, and the other causes a multi-car pile-up!
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln