Qualifying tyres to return?

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
TomPryce

Qualifying tyres to return?

Post by TomPryce »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93716

If this is true, I think it will have one of two effects - ruin the tyre strategy race that we've seen in the past couple of seasons, or see a fantastic improvement in the qualifying spectacle. Personally, I don't much care for them coming back, but what do you think?
Remembering a Welsh sporting hero. Pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.
AndreaModa

Re: Qualifying tyres to return?

Post by AndreaModa »

I think its great as it gets rid of the current debacle where the top 10 have to stay on the tyre they qualified on, which is now a completely pointless rule and even when we had the Bridgestones, it didn't do that much. Plus it will see faster, more exciting qualifying I think, and everyone going balls out to get the best spot they can because they have nothing to loose (i.e. not wasting their race tyre allocation as they currently do, and not having to worry about which tyre they're starting on if they're in Q3).

In all I think it's a superb idea!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

It's a far better solution to the problem of some people saving tyres for the race than punishing for not using them, or forcing them to run. If you consider that to be a problem; I'm not so sure of that, as it adds a strategic element and a chance to see cars on different strategies, which is always good.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

I'm not interested until teams can use jet engines in qualifying -- but they have to keep them on for the race without using them.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

I am only okay with this if it forces the top 10 runners to start on the qualifying tires.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
RFT

Post by RFT »

Tyres that are only good for one fast lap?

Isn't that what pirelli have been calling the "medium" compound this year? ;)
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Paul Hembery has said that Pirelli have spoken to a number of drivers who used qualifying tyres back in the day, and the feedback they got from them was that they universally loved it. Not sure how that ties in with the current grid and their opinions.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/265794/exclusive-interview-with-pirelli-s-paul-hembery/
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
mario

Post by mario »

East Londoner wrote:Paul Hembery has said that Pirelli have spoken to a number of drivers who used qualifying tyres back in the day, and the feedback they got from them was that they universally loved it. Not sure how that ties in with the current grid and their opinions.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/265794/exclusive-interview-with-pirelli-s-paul-hembery/

I have to say that I'm a bit ambivalent on the idea of qualifying tyres - it might end the tendency of teams to simply spend all their time sitting in the garage, and it might mean that qualifying is given some of its former importance back. That said, it might reduce some of the strategic element that has been present in recent races of whether being very cautious in qualifying can pay you back in the race (the issue of fresher tyres versus track position) - and considering that the teams go through around 50,000 tyres a year according to the BBC's most recent feature on the tyres (and most of those tyres end up being shredded after pretty light use, or no use at all as is often the case for the wet weather tyres), it seems like a considerable waste of resources to reinstate qualifying tyres.

That said, I am interested in the news that they are changing the profile of the tyres for next year to try to increase the contact patch - I presume that Pirelli are expecting that, with downforce levels expected to be cut considerably with the ban on blown diffusers, they are being pushed to partially compensate for that with increased mechanical grip.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

But Mario surely the tyres that are shredded can be recycled? Can't the rubber be re-used for new tyres, or perhaps other rubber products?

If that's the case then surely there's no big deal how many tyres they get through - as long as they can be recycled, it's a sustainable process.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

Rubber van Re-used for new tyres, only the quality is diffrent, that's why one tyre costs 170 euro and the other just 20 euro (as example).

Between GIVE US THE 1500HP QUALIFYING ENGINES BACK !!!!
==ROBIN FRIJNS FOR SAUBER IN 2014==
Founder of unracedf1.com and a formula 1 fan since 1994 :) !
http://www.facebook.com/UnracedF1
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

f1-gast wrote:Between GIVE US THE 1500HP QUALIFYING ENGINES BACK !!!!

Well, that clearly isn't going to happen again. I'm afraid the days of the grenade engine are long in the past.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
mario

Post by mario »

AndreaModa wrote:But Mario surely the tyres that are shredded can be recycled? Can't the rubber be re-used for new tyres, or perhaps other rubber products?

If that's the case then surely there's no big deal how many tyres they get through - as long as they can be recycled, it's a sustainable process.

I'm not sure how much of the material from the original tyres is reused (Pirelli are a little ambiguous about that) - it is possible that at least some of the material is destroyed completely to ensure that their designs are protected (you can read some of the posts by The Mountain Man about industrial espionage within motorcycle racing, where there were wide ranging accusations of theft and copying of rivals designs).

But, even though the material the tyres are made from might be recycled, there is still the considerable waste of resources in transporting the 1800 tyres that Pirelli supplies the teams with (according to them at least) for just one race weekend - and that is before you consider that Pirelli has sometimes been bringing extra sets of tyres to some race weekends for in season development work.

East Londoner wrote:
f1-gast wrote:Between GIVE US THE 1500HP QUALIFYING ENGINES BACK !!!!

Well, that clearly isn't going to happen again. I'm afraid the days of the grenade engine are long in the past.

And as I've pointed out in the past, the era of "grenade engines" was very short lived - the turbo engines in the past only reached those power figures for a few years, and the fuels that they were using were lethal (quite literally - they were made from toluene and other related aromatic compounds, the side effects of which are extremely unpleasant and potentially fatal). It'd be utterly impractical for those sorts of fuels and engines to be used again, and there is also the practical consideration that, with falling head counts and considerable pressure to cap costs, qualifying only engines might not be that popular with the teams.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
TomPryce

Post by TomPryce »

Can I just say Mario that your extensive knowledge of F1, your researched posts and interesting subject matter are pretty awe inspiring :D

But yeah. I actually think it would be going backwards for F1 if they were reintroduced. More costs, more waste, (possibly more dangerous?? I mean, they wear out superfast and drivers will have a new sense of speed by having even more of a need to gun it on a quick lap.)
Remembering a Welsh sporting hero. Pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.