David Hobbs = F1 Reject

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
Pepsibottle1

David Hobbs = F1 Reject

Post by Pepsibottle1 »

I'm suprised that noone has mentioned David Hobbs on the site. If you look at his career, he definitely fits the reject criteria with 7 starts and no points. He was always behind his teammates and dreadfully slow in the equipment that he was in.

I'd like to learn more about his foray in F1 to be honest. Thoughts?
DOSBoot

Re: David Hobbs = F1 Reject

Post by DOSBoot »

I don't know if the site covers commentators or not, but he does qualify. Shame, since he would have scored points in today's ranking. He was sucessful in other motorsports too. Two third places at Le Mans, was champion in the U.S. F5000 series in 1971, and won the Trans-Am championship in 1983. So I guess there is a little trivia there for you if they do make a profile.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

There are more drivers and teams not on this site but i think they will been added :)
==ROBIN FRIJNS FOR SAUBER IN 2014==
Founder of unracedf1.com and a formula 1 fan since 1994 :) !
http://www.facebook.com/UnracedF1
minrdi

Post by minrdi »

I'd be more than happy to help out with any profile piece for him; I've interviewed him a few times over the years and he's always been extremely obliging:
http://richardsf1.com/category/exclusive-interviews/david-hobbs/
"The advantage of jumping the start is that you can get away a lot quicker." - Murray Walker

Editor, Richard's F1
Visit my F1 website at http://richardsf1.com
Exclusive news, reviews and interviews for F1, IndyCar, V8 Supercars and the WTCC
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

DOSBoot wrote:I don't know if the site covers commentators or not, but he does qualify. Shame, since he would have scored points in today's ranking. He was sucessful in other motorsports too. Two third places at Le Mans, was champion in the U.S. F5000 series in 1971, and won the Trans-Am championship in 1983. So I guess there is a little trivia there for you if they do make a profile.

Drove in IndyCar for Roger Penske I believe and I think had a few NASCAR starts as well.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
whatisdeletrazdoing

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

He is a great commentator here in the States
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmaokoen/ Lego F1 Cars
CarlosFerreira wrote:I am vaguely annoyed by Vettel.
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Cynon wrote:
DOSBoot wrote:I don't know if the site covers commentators or not, but he does qualify. Shame, since he would have scored points in today's ranking. He was sucessful in other motorsports too. Two third places at Le Mans, was champion in the U.S. F5000 series in 1971, and won the Trans-Am championship in 1983. So I guess there is a little trivia there for you if they do make a profile.

Drove in IndyCar for Roger Penske I believe and I think had a few NASCAR starts as well.

Yes he did. Five starts at the Indy 500 with a best finish of fifth in 1974, and had two Winston Cup starts. He also led the 1976 Daytona 500 for two laps as well.

ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Unless I am very much mistaken, I believe he may be the only reject F1 driver to have had a corner, which was used in F1 for an actual GP, named in his honour. This was in the 1 sector in Adia, Japan. Basically all the drivers who showed up to the 1st ever race on that track got a corner named after them. As far as I'm aware even Fernardo Alonso doesn't have a corner named after him.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

I'm pretty sure that David Hobbs is the only F1 reject to have a cameo in an animated movie! Introducing, DAVID HOBBSCAP!

CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

I remember during the 2010 Koren Grand Prix he mentioned something about twitter, and paid dearly for it. Throughout the race, Bob Varsha, and Steve Matchet, would periodically mention about twitter. Which sort of became a running gag for quite a while in the commentary box. Eventually David did get into twitter because of that. Just as recently as the 24 Hours of Daytona, I remember hearing Bob say something like "David Hobbs is a little lost to where the commentary box is at, were tweeting him the directions."

DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

tristan1117 wrote:I'm pretty sure that David Hobbs is the only F1 reject to have a cameo in an animated movie! Introducing, DAVID HOBBSCAP!

He also had a cameo in the rather rejectful racing film "Stroker Ace".

tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

http://www.f1rejects.com/drivers/posey/biography.html

Sam Posey has a profile, he did F1 commentary for SPEED (back when it was Speedvision) from 1998 until the end of the 2001 season and also still introduces each GP for them and provides analysis on SPEED's "F1 Debrief" program. So commentators are not immune to being profiled :)
"If you don't like it, overtake or f**k off!"- Niki Lauda responding to complaints of his Brabham BT46 'fan car" throwing debris in drivers' faces.