Here we go again...

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Londoner

Here we go again...

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Jeroen Krautmeir

Re: Here we go again...

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

FFS F1. Stop with your 'First Bite At The Apple' policy and finance a reform of Watkins Glen's facilities, improve safety there, and there you go, a fantastic New York track.
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

No, no and no! F1 will ruin the glen.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

The only positive thing about this would be the 0.000000000000001 % chance of Zack Ryder giving the winner the trophy. :lol:
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Bernie's greed at work
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

It would be interesting to see. But I highly doubt this is going to work.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
MigelNansell

Post by MigelNansell »

Klon wrote:The only positive thing about this would be the 0.000000000000001 % chance of Zack Ryder giving the winner the trophy. :lol:

WWWYKI :lol:
Murray Walker: I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0TZ_YLQSgg

Murray Walker entertaining Millions since 1978
mario

Post by mario »

DOSBoot wrote:It would be interesting to see. But I highly doubt this is going to work.

I'd have to agree with you - this idea has come up time and time again, and whilst I do agree that a race in New York does have great potential, the proposals have always been shot down for various reasons, and it's likely that the same thing will happen again.
Incidentally, for those interested in seeing the proposed route, the Wall Street Journal has published this proposed track layout http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 04538.html

Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Klon wrote:The only positive thing about this would be the 0.000000000000001 % chance of Zack Ryder giving the winner the trophy. :lol:

WOO WOO WOO YOU KNOW IT!
Last edited by FullMetalJack on 20 Sep 2013, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Does the "again" in the title of the thread possibly be a reference to this?

Ecclesiastes chapter 1 wrote:9 What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
10 Is there anything of which one can say,
“Look! This is something new”?
It was here already, long ago;
it was here before our time.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

JeremyMcClean wrote:Bernie's greed at work

Actually, Bernie didn't commission this at all. This is a proposal put together by a group of local businessmen trying to find investors so that they can approach Bernie.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Peter

Post by Peter »

I'd be interested in this, but if they have Justin Bieber handing out victory trophies, i'll GTFO. :evil:
"The FIA's implementation of penalties is about as effective as that of the English football team."
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

... Why would they?
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Captain Hammer wrote:... Why would they?

They wouldn't. But didn't you know, it's a new law in most parts of North America to make references to Justin Bieber in order to fill up a thread with feces, context be damned.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Wasn't being serious, but knowing how big of a deal he is in all of North American, it wouldn't be unlikely so as to get some serious attention from having him perform or something.
"The FIA's implementation of penalties is about as effective as that of the English football team."
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

Peter wrote:

Wasn't being serious, but knowing how big of a deal he is in all of North American, it wouldn't be unlikely so as to get some serious attention from having him perform or something.

Not going to happen. He's Canadian. So having him hand out the trophy at Montreal is more likely.
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

DonTirri wrote:
Peter wrote:

Not going to happen. He's Canadian. So having him hand out the trophy at Montreal is more likely.

I don't think he's intelligent enough to cope with something as abstract as French. The guy didn't even know what German meant.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Peter

Post by Peter »

DonTirri wrote:
Peter wrote:

He has a FAR larger influence on American culture than he does in his home country. People almost always forget he's not American.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Yes.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

thehemogoblin wrote:Image

Yes.

Fist pumping is thehemogoblin's main dance move when he goes out.
Last edited by FullMetalJack on 20 Sep 2013, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

This cannot end well...

"Joysey Grahnd Priks"

..."Soh dehr um, gonna be sum-ah, massive trawsur snakes huh, sup wid dat?"
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

It would interesting to see it happen, but I wouldn't bet on it. Personally I would have love to see Long Beach become a Formula 1 race again.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

i looked at the route on google earth....it flys right through a residential area. that won't bode well for the people trying to make it happen.
if spa has a problem with spaced out housing, then new york will be much worse.
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

nome66 wrote:i looked at the route on google earth....it flys right through a residential area. that won't bode well for the people trying to make it happen.
if spa has a problem with spaced out housing, then new york will be much worse.

It's New York, it's always loud, everywhere.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Well if an NY race were to happen it could be done logistically as a back to back with Montreal as they are on the border of each other, so I reckon that is where the proposal would aim for really. But I agree, it is not likely to happen, if we had two US gp's in addition to the others, we would see yet more circuits cut, and with the season so far producing good racing at pretty much every circuit that wouldn't be popular lol
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Peter

Post by Peter »

thehemogoblin wrote:Image

Yes.

Goodness, no. I'd rather have Katy Perry sing the Austrian anthem. :cry:
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Faustus wrote:It would interesting to see it happen, but I wouldn't bet on it. Personally I would have love to see Long Beach become a Formula 1 race again.

Me too. It would be more accessable for those on the West coast. Plus, it was successful back in the 1970's, so I don't see why it wouldn't work now.

Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

DOSBoot wrote:it was successful back in the 1970's, so I don't see why it wouldn't work now.

Because it hosts Indycar and ALMS, and so there's no way Bernie will let it happen.
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

Captain Hammer wrote:
DOSBoot wrote:it was successful back in the 1970's, so I don't see why it wouldn't work now.

Because it hosts Indycar and ALMS, and so there's no way Bernie will let it happen.

The point I made in my first (and only) post in this thread. If F1 wants to get some good tracks in places like the US, there's no bathplugging point in building another Tilkedrome when there are already existing good tracks. The US has plenty of them; Watkins Glen, Long Beach, Road America etc. Road America is, well, fine, in the middle of nowhere, which is a massive shame as it's IMO one of the best tracks in the world. But Long Beach and Watkins Glen are ideally situated to hold a race, both have F1 history, and both are synonymous with good racing in the series they've hosted; be it F1, CART, IndyCar, ALMS etc. Watkins Glen already meets the necessary length requirements, be it with or without 'The Boot', while Long Beach only needs a bit of an extension. The 'We Need First Bite At The Apple' policy is starving F1 of good, existing tracks.
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:

The point I made in my first (and only) post in this thread. If F1 wants to get some good tracks in places like the US, there's no bathplugging point in building another Tilkedrome when there are already existing good tracks. The US has plenty of them; Watkins Glen, Long Beach, Road America etc. Road America is, well, fine, in the middle of nowhere, which is a massive shame as it's IMO one of the best tracks in the world. But Long Beach and Watkins Glen are ideally situated to hold a race, both have F1 history, and both are synonymous with good racing in the series they've hosted; be it F1, CART, IndyCar, ALMS etc. Watkins Glen already meets the necessary length requirements, be it with or without 'The Boot', while Long Beach only needs a bit of an extension. The 'We Need First Bite At The Apple' policy is starving F1 of good, existing tracks.

Which is why I thought Long Beach was a logical pick in my opinion.

Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:The 'We Need First Bite At The Apple' policy is starving F1 of good, existing tracks.

You point to Watkins Glen as a circuti that could host Formula 1. It can't. Not without a major overhaul - widening the circuit, adding run-off, upgrading pit facilities, and so on. If Formula 1 went to Watkins Glen, it would need so much work that the circuit would become unrecongisable. And then everyone would complain about it, despite being the ones who demanded the sport went there in the first place.
Jordan192

Post by Jordan192 »

Captain Hammer wrote:You point to Watkins Glen as a circuti that could host Formula 1. It can't. Not without a major overhaul - widening the circuit, adding run-off, upgrading pit facilities, and so on. If Formula 1 went to Watkins Glen, it would need so much work that the circuit would become unrecongisable. And then everyone would complain about it, despite being the ones who demanded the sport went there in the first place.

And it's not just Watkins Glen - Road America, Road Atlanta, Laguna Seca, Sears Point - all would need an equivalent amount of work, equally destructive to those venues as we know them today - Laguna Seca in particular would need a fairly substantial extension added, as it's simply too short in its current form.
I coined the term "Lewisteria". The irony is that I actually quite like Lewis Hamilton.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Jordan192 wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:You point to Watkins Glen as a circuti that could host Formula 1. It can't. Not without a major overhaul - widening the circuit, adding run-off, upgrading pit facilities, and so on. If Formula 1 went to Watkins Glen, it would need so much work that the circuit would become unrecongisable. And then everyone would complain about it, despite being the ones who demanded the sport went there in the first place.

And it's not just Watkins Glen - Road America, Road Atlanta, Laguna Seca, Sears Point - all would need an equivalent amount of work, equally destructive to those venues as we know them today - Laguna Seca in particular would need a fairly substantial extension added, as it's simply too short in its current form.

I think you're both absolutely right, so the only options would be a new (or newish) track like Austin or something like Barber Motorsport Parks, or a city track, like Long Beach. Unfortunately for the time being the race is tied to IndyCar and the ALMS, but if there was enough money in it, I'm sure Chris Pook and his mob could be persuaded to go back to Formula 1.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

What about Infineon Raceway? Or would it be too short.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

redbulljack14 wrote:What about Infineon Raceway? Or would it be too short.

Some of the corners are too steep; it's the same problem faced by Laguna Seca. And there's no run-off.
Jordan192

Post by Jordan192 »

redbulljack14 wrote:What about Infineon Raceway? Or would it be too short.

You'd need to use the infield loop to get it long enough (and all that would need proper runoff) and even then it's only just long enough (the minimum is 3.5 km, the prefence is for nearer 5). You'd need to completely remodel turn 11 and the pit entry (you could potentially use the 11a cutoff, but then you lose half the pitlane) as well as building a whole new pit building/media complex etc.
You'd also have a layout with zero usable overtaking points for F1.

Laguna Seca could at least be spared the extension (coming in at 3.6km), but would still need (at least) a monstrous amount of new runoff and a new pit complex.

(edited due to actually doing some research on minimum circuit lengths)
I coined the term "Lewisteria". The irony is that I actually quite like Lewis Hamilton.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

(Had to convert 3.5 km to miles to get to grip with that - 3.5km = 2.18 miles)

So Monaco is right on the cusp (barely) of being long enough! Or was the limit set as Monaco being the shortest to accomodate it?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Jordan192

Post by Jordan192 »

At 3.2km (Wikipedia measurement, admittedly), Monaco actually isn't long enough for F1, and wouldn't be certified if it hadn't previously held races. For fear of stating the obvious, though, it's kind of a special case.

APPENDIX O TO THE INTERNATIONAL SPORTING CODE - Procedures for the Recognition of Motor Racing Circuits

Supplement 2 covers the minimum lengths. I couldn't find anything about maximum gradients, other than in relation to banking (not more than 10%, article 7.5) or run-off areas relative to the road surface(7.6). I could find some limitations on the minimum vertical radii of gradient changes, though (Article 7.4).

I'll admit I just skimmed it - I couldn't quite bring myself to read the whole thing end to end.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

soooo talladega and bristol are out of the picture?
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

nome66 wrote:soooo talladega and bristol are out of the picture?

And pretty much every single oval that exists, barring Indianapolis, I assume.

And no Martinsville. :cry: :x :cry:
MCard LOLA