Your Reject of the Race - Germany!

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Captain Hammer

Your Reject of the Race - Germany!

Post by Captain Hammer »

FP3 begins in a matter of hours, so it's time to open the Your Reject of the Race thread. Nobody has really done anything stupid yet, but there's still plenty of time. The illegal race suits get a pass on the title because nothing has come of it.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Peter

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Germany!

Post by Peter »

I'm giving Renault an early nomination. Gonig backwards in terms of speed, and will be far behind Mercedes and just above Sauber if this continues. Seemingly nowhere this weekend.
"The FIA's implementation of penalties is about as effective as that of the English football team."
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Peter wrote:I'm giving Renault an early nomination. Gonig backwards in terms of speed, and will be far behind Mercedes and just above Sauber if this continues. Seemingly nowhere this weekend.

I'm gonna put my neck on the chopping block and say if it continues then Renault are fast heading to ROTY contention alongside Williams and the FIA
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Make that another nomination for Renault. Those podiums at the start of the year seem an enternity away.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
mario

Post by mario »

Wizzie wrote:
Peter wrote:I'm giving Renault an early nomination. Gonig backwards in terms of speed, and will be far behind Mercedes and just above Sauber if this continues. Seemingly nowhere this weekend.

I'm gonna put my neck on the chopping block and say if it continues then Renault are fast heading to ROTY contention alongside Williams and the FIA
Peter wrote:I'm giving Renault an early nomination. Going backwards in terms of speed, and will be far behind Mercedes and just above Sauber if this continues. Seemingly nowhere this weekend.

I agree. In the final practise session, they were quite solidly behind Mercedes, though to be honest Mercedes have been ahead of Renault on pace for at least a couple of races now (arguably since Canada), and with increasing numbers of staff defecting to other teams, I doubt that is likely to improve.
In fact, Force India are showing improved pace this weekend and are beginning to pressurise Renault too - Force India have been creeping into the top 10 this weekend, especially in Sutil's hands.

That said, Renault do still have a reasonable points advantage over the chasing pack - Sauber are over 30 points behind at the moment, and teams like Force India and Toro Rosso are closer to 50 points behind.
I think that Toro Rosso and Force India will struggle to make up that large a points gap as long as Renault can occasionally get a car into the top 10, but if Sauber have a reasonably strong latter half of the year, they might be close enough to trouble Renault in the closing races. It does depend a lot on what sort of performance the Renault team can eke out of their planned exhaust upgrade (the switch from forward to rearward exhausts).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Renault have continously been suffering recently, so I can't nominate them yet.
However if no Renaults will be in the top ten, I will probably nominate them...

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Surprised that no one has mentioned Chandhok so far.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

Really Tonio, just .025?
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

the Masked Lapwing wrote:Really Tonio, just .025?

With a new gearbox no less.
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

The BBC, for saying during the qualifying build-up that Williams' last pole was Germany 2005.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

So far, Button (a pretty anonymous weekend), Barrichello (losing to Maldonado's becoming more of a habit) and Sauber (poor pace, and odd qualifying strategy for Kamui) would be candidates for me.

Depending how the tyre life plays out in the race, and barring any blatant driver stupidity, who knows, Pirelli could yet be a nominee, especially if everyone doesn't pit until the last couple of laps.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Faustus wrote:The BBC, for saying during the qualifying build-up that Williams' last pole was Germany 2005.

Damn them, it was Brazil 2010, it was a fluke but it was still a pole goddamnit.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

How about Buemi/Toro Rosso for having to start from the back of the grid due to an irregular fuel sample?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
GroupLotusRenault

Post by GroupLotusRenault »

Renault for being so far off the pace which is weird to see when at the first few races they were the 4th best car.
Engineering Student

"Is it because im Black" Lewis Hamilton 2011 Monaco GP No its because you dont ram people off the track.

Eric Bollouir- "the arrogence of the english" Says the one who runs a English team based in England
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

GroupLotusRenault wrote:Renault for being so far off the pace which is weird to see when at the first few races they were the 4th best car.

The issue here is that Group Bahar and Vitaly's Mafia Mob have no cash. That being said, they didn't do too badly here in quali.
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
tc3j3r

Post by tc3j3r »

Faustus wrote:The BBC, for saying during the qualifying build-up that Williams' last pole was Germany 2005.

You, for saying the BBC said that Williams' last pole was Germany 2005, i.e. Hockenheim 2005. :lol:
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

The BBC, how dare they associate F1 with Limp Bizkit!?
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

sswishbone wrote:The BBC, how dare they associate F1 with Limp Bizkit!?

Oi! Limp Bizkit were good back in the day (10-12 years ago)! Better than those prats called Linkin Park.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
The Passenger

Post by The Passenger »

East Londoner wrote:
sswishbone wrote:The BBC, how dare they associate F1 with Limp Bizkit!?

Oi! Limp Bizkit were good back in the day (10-12 years ago)! Better than those prats called Linkin Park.

As much as Linkin Park sucks (and that is certainly an impressive amount of suck right there), at least they don't have Fred Durst.

ontopic: Sebastien Buemi, for driving like I do in Forza Motorsport. (although now that they showed the replay again it looks like Heidfeld had nowhere to go and rammed into the back of him, so it wasn't as bad as I first thought)
We see the stars that shine so bright
Stars made for us tonight

I am not "The Passenger" from Autosport's forum
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Has to be Karun chanhok, he's 70 seconds down on Ricciardo!
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

The weather for not raining!

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
TomPryce

Post by TomPryce »

Massa and the Ferrari Pit Crew HOW THE HELL DID THEY MESS THAT UP!?
Remembering a Welsh sporting hero. Pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Although the Ferrari pitstop was bad, Chandhok has to get it for a Nissany-esque performance today.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I'm going to nominate my TV for cutting out just as Vettel and Massa entered the pits.
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Williams

Start and Park for Barichello, something that NASCAR have been keen to cut out on in their particular rose-tinted-spectacle. Something good needs to happen otherwise the lows are just going to get lower.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

im gonna give it to vettel unless the stewards dq thye first 3
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

Ferrari pit crew - CHOKE!
Webber's strategy - Why did he stay out that long? I mean, I can understand one lap at most. After that, he fell off a cliff.
Ferrari pit crew - I feel they should be mentioned twice.
Karun Chandhok - How far behind Ricciardo was he again?
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Sebastien Buemi for soullessly taking out Nick Heidfeld...

Pit strategist for Mark Webber, Vettel and Massa - Pitting with a handful of laps to go? Are they out of what's left of their mind?
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
JJMonty
Location: Jersey! (The old one, not that American mk2 version!)

Post by JJMonty »

I would love to nominate Vettel for the silly mistakes, ignoring advise and really not looking like he wanted to drive today...... BUT... if he can get 4th on a bad day, then we are setting our expectations wayyy too high!

Webber is a tempting option, had the upper edge on Vettel all weekend - yet still hasn't got that race pace and ended up losing out to Alonso and Hamilton.

FIA will be my nomination if the top 3 get a DQ!

Red Bull stratagists would be my nomination, they left Webber out wayyy too long, didn't respond very well to others stratagies, slow pit-stops and only got away with Vettel's last stop because Ferrari cocked up worse.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

The Ferrari pit crew for messing up at the worst possible time.

Gaëtan Vigneron and Bas Leinders for talking about the Spa circuit and a potential buyout for about a third of the race when there was something exciting going on.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

The Passenger wrote:As much as Linkin Park sucks (and that is certainly an impressive amount of suck right there), at least they don't have Fred Durst.

Speaking of Limp Bizkit, they just released a new album, Gold Cobra. My friend and I we're thinking of going to see a show of theirs A: For the Lulz and B: To re-live middleschool.

Nominations: Chandok. WHY U NO BEAT RICCIARDO?
&
Vettel: You're expected to win bro, and you didn't, you didn't even podium, and you passed Massa on a mistake that wasn't even his doing. Ten points from Gryffindor.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

F1000X wrote:chandok. WHY U NO BEAT RICCIARDO?

First race back, can we forgive him for that?
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
mario

Post by mario »

TomPryce wrote:Massa and the Ferrari Pit Crew HOW THE HELL DID THEY MESS THAT UP!?

I actually wonder what happened in that pit stop - all we saw was Massa sitting in the pit box whilst Vettel went past. I wouldn't mind seeing whether they had a problem, or whether it was just sluggish.

To be honest, though, Vettel was lucky there, given he had been instructed to pit if Massa did not, but for some reason he decided to continue - had Ferrari not hit problems there, he'd have probably come out behind Massa and remained in 5th. And, overall, it was a poor race weekend by his normal standards, as he made several unforced errors, and Webber had an answer to him all weekend.

But, overall, there were worse moments - Buemi had a poor race (and is probably quite lucky not to be penalised for his clash with Heidfeld - a different set of stewards might well have penalised him), though Heidfeld also performed poorly (clashing with Di Resta, and he had been issued with a drive through for on track incidents).

And, frankly, Red Bull were not all that sharp strategically today - Webber was dropped into traffic (behind Sutil) after his first stint, and was left out for far too long at the end (one lap would have worked, when Hamilton and Alonso were on cold tyres, but after that both of them were always going to improve), whilst Red Bull seemed to spend more time trying to trick Ferrari into stopping Massa than working on their strategy.

Overall, I'll probably go for Buemi as my first candidate for spending too long trying to get past the newer teams, with Heidfeld and Red Bull's tacticians getting dishonourable mentions.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
tc3j3r

Post by tc3j3r »

Vettel - maybe a bit harsh because of the high expectations, but if the rest of the races finish like this he WILL lose the title, which would go down as the biggest choke in F1 history. He would've been 5th if it weren't for my next nomination...
Ferrari pit crew screwed up and handed 2 points to Vettel on a plate. It wasn't even close!
Buemi - caused a terrifying accident with Heidfeld because he couldn't be bothered to look in his mirrors.
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

ADx_Wales wrote:
F1000X wrote:chandok. WHY U NO BEAT RICCIARDO?

First race back, can we forgive him for that?

No. Not when he's in a superior chassis against someone starting only his second Grand Prix.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Definitely the Ferrari pit crew.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Nominees:
Button - Third insipid drive in a row
Chandhok - Some mitigating circumstances, but really shouldn't be spinning that much or getting beaten by a HRT
Pirelli - Temperatures were unexpected, but discrepancy between compounds was ridiculous
Williams - Awful
Schumacher's spins - His race pace is excellent, but he keeps wasting his opportunities! Possibly could have got Sutil today.

Winner:
Massa's Pitcrew - How many points can they cost him throughout this year! If it's not poor strategy, it's bad pitstops. :x Also, it unfairly gave Vettel the record of best ever start to a season.

mario wrote:I actually wonder what happened in that pit stop - all we saw was Massa sitting in the pit box whilst Vettel went past. I wouldn't mind seeing whether they had a problem, or whether it was just sluggish.

They lost the wheel nut, according to Ferrari on Twitter.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
mediocre

Post by mediocre »

Karun Chandhok for being "out of his depth" = being a complete nonsense bummer who did even worse than Yuji Ide could've done considering the pace.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Karun Chandhok -- WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?! Despite that, PLEASE take Trulli's Fondmetal Team Malaysia seat for ALL ETERNITY! :D :D :D :D
Williams -- Start and Park = Fail.
Michael Schumacher -- Michael Skidmarker.
Ferrari Pitcrew -- WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!
Last edited by Cynon on 25 Jul 2011, 02:06, edited 2 times in total.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

Karun Chandhok - Lapped by HRT.

Sebastien Buemi - Put Heidfeld out of the race, should have payed more attention.