2011 Canadian Grand Prix Discussion Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
TomWazzleshaw

2011 Canadian Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

I'll let Mario do the big introduction post about who's bringing what updates and the like but I only wanted to open the thread to bring your attention to this weather forecast.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Mister Fungus

Re: 2011 Canadian Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by Mister Fungus »

And I certainly pray for rain, because the DRS zones look waaaaay over the top.
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Mister Fungus wrote:And I certainly pray for rain, because the DRS zones look waaaaay over the top.

Interesting, as most of the DRS overtakes have been made at the end of the straights so far, will there be a case for dropping behind and trying to pick up a slipstream from the DRS activated car once
it blasts past you? Not sure how following a car with the wing open affects the airflow - would the slipstream be greater?
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

DRS will clearly be over the top at this race. You usually can overtake in Montreal anyway; if they had to put a DRS zone it would have made more sense to do it between corners 7 and 8. That way you could get someone overtaking or pretty much side by side into turn 8, then the fight could continue into the hairpin. Or you could have someone very close before turn 8 so that he would have a good chance at the hairpin. And you could still overtake down the long straight -that's always happened.

This way you could get three overtaking spots with a single DRS zone, and none of them would be easy.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
mario

Post by mario »

Wizzie wrote:I'll let Mario do the big introduction post about who's bringing what updates and the like but I only wanted to open the thread to bring your attention to this weather forecast.

You must have read my thoughts - speaking of which, it looks like a few updates are being revealed. But, you're right to point out the importance of the weather forecasts - especially if both the qualifying session and the race are in wet conditions.
That would be a real challenge - it's been a few years since the last fully wet race in Canada (I think the last wet race was in 2000), most of the drivers haven't even driven in wet conditions with the new tyres, and we have not got that much of a clue how the Pirelli wet tyres will behave. OK, I think a few drivers did use them in the off season - I recall Webber did, and he seemed to suggest that the full wets were fairly durable (although the intermediate tyres are quite poor, since they can only clear away a small amount of water). At the very least, if both sessions are wet, then it'll be a real challenge for the teams to manage their tyres due to the relatively low number of wet tyres available to the teams.
Speaking of Pirelli, according to an article in Racecar Engineering, they are planning on bringing two sets of a new medium compound tyre that they are considering rolling out for the latter part of the season.

Before this race, Ferrari had announced that there would be a series of small updates to the diffuser, as well as a new rear wing (which is fairly standard, given that the teams generally run a lower downforce package for Canada). Thanks to scarbsf1, we've got a nice shot of the rear end of the car, showing a few of the modifications Ferrari have made (which seem to include a small tweak to the angle the exhausts enter the diffuser, as well as modifying the cover on top of the exhaust pipe for smoother airflow across the top of the floor).
In addition, scarbsf1 is reporting that Ferrari will not be running the Red Bull style engine cover (with the central cooling vent) since the ambient temperatures are likely to be much lower than Monaco was, so cooling is likely to be less of an issue.

Moving on, Williams are planning on running a fair few new parts for the practise sessions - a new front wing, brake ducts, barge boards and modified diffuser should be on the car at some point across the practise sessions. There are a few shots of the Williams front wing, suggesting that there might be a new small turning element on the end plate:
Unfortunately, the angle of the shot is hiding the rest of the wing, so we can't see whether there are any changes to the front wing elements.

Also, looking further down the grid, Team Lotus have a small tweak to the end plate of their front wing (again, a small change to the turning element)
And, perhaps a touch ironically, it seems that they have also adopted the same style brake ducts as used by the Renault team on the R31 - image link here http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3389/573 ... 349c_o.jpg (since it is a very large image). Basically, instead of the traditional duct we've seen (the semi circular one that most cars sport), Renault, and now Team Lotus, have gone for a tall, thin slot, seemingly aimed at improving the airflow around the front wheel (and possibly drag reduction, albeit with the increased risk of overheating front brakes due to a reduction in airflow).

Also, on the theme of modified end plates, Toro Rosso seem to have brought a new end plate here, with two turning elements
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

I was already looking forward to this race; that forecast has me practically erupting with anticipation.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Peter

Post by Peter »

If Red Bull can top McLaren and Ferrari here, then there's no hope. :(
"The FIA's implementation of penalties is about as effective as that of the English football team."
johnston21

Post by johnston21 »

My wife & I have our ponchos packed, and it will not disapoint me to have to use them (Grandstand 1). Will take some pics and (hopefully) post throughout the weekend (got my SONY P with me). "...got to figure out how to post pics... :roll: "

Edit: Also have my F1 Rejects tshirt & cap packed (been saving them since December for this weekend)! :mrgreen:
Last edited by johnston21 on 10 Jun 2011, 13:00, edited 2 times in total.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

johnston21 wrote:My wife & I have our ponchos packed, and it will not disapoint me to have to use them (Grandstand 1). Will take some pics and post them next week.

Have fun! Please post some photos if you can.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

By the looks of that picture Mario posted it seems Toro Rosso have gone away from the ghastly white endplates and stickers on the nose and sidepods from their new sponsor to a more in-keeping gold that should blend with the car better.

Just over an hour till FP1 too! :D
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

I fear rain could actually bring us a boring race. No DRS and the wet tyres are said to be way more durable than the slicks (it was the other way around with Bridgestones).

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

Valrys

Post by Valrys »

Is the BBC feed jerking around and not showing a smooth picture for anyone else?
mario

Post by mario »

Valrys wrote:Is the BBC feed jerking around and not showing a smooth picture for anyone else?

I was wondering if it was just me - yes, I've noticed that the BBC feed is slightly stuttery.

Speaking of which, it's interesting that Kravitz mentioned that Todt might have been somewhat deceitful over the WMSC vote to reinstate Bahrain (before it was cancelled again) - he claimed initially the Domenicali voted in favour, but when speaking to Krativz earlier, he seemed to avoid answering the question, and some rumours in the paddock suggest that Domenicali might have actually voted against returning to Bahrain.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

Vettel's in the WoC!
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
patrick

Post by patrick »

:D oh sebi
hilarious shot of Newey on the pitwall trying not to smile
S951

Post by S951 »

ooosssssshhh vettel splat
Luca Badoer we miss you appreciation group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/187177268036270/
Valrys

Post by Valrys »

Lols at the Marshal falling over right in front of Vettels car :lol:
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Vettel crashes in FP1.

Last time he did, he scored pole and won the race. Ouch.

jpm

Post by jpm »

Valrys wrote:Lols at the Marshal falling over right in front of Vettels car :lol:

The best marshal at an F1 event since the man who ran over Taki Inoue in Hungary in 1995!
S951

Post by S951 »

tonio 17th at the moment
Luca Badoer we miss you appreciation group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/187177268036270/
mario

Post by mario »

So, looks like McLaren have been having a few problems today - Button has had problems with his DRS not working correctly (and, if so, then McLaren look strong as he is still setting good times), whilst Hamilton's steering wheel display has failed completely.
In addition, Rosberg has been complaining of heat welling up inside the car and burning him - he has pitted pretty quickly (and in some discomfort, it seems), suggesting that something within the W02 is getting a little too hot for comfort. Perhaps he is suffering from the same problems that Schumacher did in Monaco (where its thought that the airbox fire was caused by an overheating wiring loom)?
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

Why was Kobayashi so slow? That's not normal!
mario

Post by mario »

Henrique wrote:Why was Kobayashi so slow? That's not normal!

He seemed to do most of his laps in the early part of the session, when the track was especially dusty and slippery, so his times are inevitably going to look poor. I reckon that in FP2, when the track conditions begin to stabilise, the gap will begin to come down and he'll look more competitive.
IdeFan

Post by IdeFan »

Wall of champions claims another victim!

Sounds harsh, but hopefully it throws off Vettel this weekend, F1 needs someone to beat him this weekend.
"Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one!" - James Hunt, Monaco 1982
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Ferrim wrote:Vettel crashes in FP1.

Last time he did, he scored pole and won the race. Ouch.

Indeed. He doesn't seem to have a problem binning hit in FP just to recover and win the race...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

jpm wrote:
Valrys wrote:Lols at the Marshal falling over right in front of Vettels car :lol:

The best marshal at an F1 event since the man who ran over Taki Inoue in Hungary in 1995!

There have been some good moments between

- Argentina 1997 one marshal was waving red flag when SC was circulating.
- Belgium 2000 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6xl-kV3RIo
- USA 2007 marshal threw blue flag to the track.
- Another marshal was running and guiding Rosberg to a safe place and wind knocked his cap off.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Just been announced on BBC FP2 coverage that Perez is to be replaced by PDLR for rest of weekend!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Its All very good that Sauber have found a stand-in for Perez, but what the hell happened to Perez in the first place?

Or is this Post-Monaco precautions?
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

He felt sick during FP1, and after his Monaco crash they've decided to take it safe.

Tomorrow we'll have The Ultimate Battle: Kamui Kobayashi vs. Pedro de la Rosa will put in their best efforts to break the qualifying draw between them. :mrgreen:

ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

PDLR is the first "Replacement" of 2011 :)

I was trying to remember when there was an F1 season without driver changes, however its not too long ago...
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

ADx_Wales wrote:PDLR is the first "Replacement" of 2011 :)

If only Badoer's career would have been a year longer. He might sit in there. :cry:
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

De la Rosa for a fluke victory in the rain! You heard it here, first.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Personally I would have gone for a younger driver, maybe Pedro Lamy. :lol:
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

redbulljack14 wrote:Personally I would have gone for a younger driver, maybe Pedro Lamy. :lol:

He's actually younger than De la Rosa.

Maybe that's why you've said it? :lol:

DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

redbulljack14 wrote:Personally I would have gone for a younger driver, maybe Pedro Lamy. :lol:

I would prefer that! That way Lamy unrejectified himself after winning Le Mans! :lol:
ADx_Wales

Post by ADx_Wales »

Ferrim wrote:

He's actually younger than De la Rosa.

Maybe that's why you've said it? :lol:

That read as if you wanted to correct him? :P
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

De la Rosa is McLaren's reserve driver; Gutierrez (or however it's spelt) is Sauber's reserve but is not in Canada (according to BBC coverage). Sauber had to go and collect DLR from McLaren's hospitality suite!

BBC text coverage wrote:Team Principal Peter Sauber confirms Pedro de la Rosa will take over Perez's car for the remainder of the weekend, and adds: "This development hit us by surprise, because Sergio underwent thorough medical checks, first in the hospital in Monaco, then in a hospital in Zurich, and finally, the FIA doctors gave him the green light this Thursday in Montreal. Nobody could have foreseen that he would feel unwell. Maybe we are being overly cautious, but when it's about the health of our drivers we take zero risks."

And still just under an hour to adjust predictions in predictions thread I believe!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

At first I wanted to correct him, but then I thought that it could be intended :)

ADx_Wales

Post by ADx_Wales »

DanielPT wrote:

I would prefer that! That way Lamy unrejectified himself after winning Le Mans! :lol:

[buzz killington]It doesnt count for Bertrand Gachot and Volker Weidler, why should it count for Lamy[/buzz killington]
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

ADx_Wales wrote:
DanielPT wrote:

[buzz killington]It doesnt count for Bertrand Gachot and Volker Weidler, why should it count for Lamy[/buzz killington]

I meant that if Lamy was to drive for Sauber he would leave his Peugeot in the lead in time (his team-mates would clinch it after) to fly for Canada for the race, starting last and ending up taking that fluke win instead of DLR.