Things you miss about F1...

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
David AGS

Re: Things you miss about F1...

Post by David AGS »

Those massive tyres (big slick tyres)
Attrition (those who finished all scored points)
Manual Shift Gearboxes (drivers changing gear wih one hand, steering with another)
Sparks (Low ride height)
Underdogs
Minardi
Cracking Race Tracks (Imola, Old Hockenheim, Portugal etc)

What I DO NOT MISS is waiting for the race delayed for an hour at best after it starts because a certain network preferred to show their Sunday movie, then a newsbreak and then preview the race etc, and Not watching qualifying at all. Its all very good now though.
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
GroupLotusRenault

Post by GroupLotusRenault »

Underdogs performaning well and even scoring a podium. Also Gentleman racing and racers like Graham Hill jackie Stewart Jim Clark Stirling Moss Fangio etc all these old school names and then F1 was all about being the best, but also gentleman racing. Also keeping the times of the cars the wifes of the racers now some ie Lewis puissycat dolls g.f are dumb popstars who know nothing about F1
Engineering Student

"Is it because im Black" Lewis Hamilton 2011 Monaco GP No its because you dont ram people off the track.

Eric Bollouir- "the arrogence of the english" Says the one who runs a English team based in England
MansellsEyebrows

Post by MansellsEyebrows »

Ligier
Jordan
Arrows
Minardi
Simtek

Jacques Villeneuve
Juan Pablo Montoya
Kimi Raikkonen

wider cars
A1/Oesterriech-Ring
the Mexican and South African Grands Prix
Adelaide (but I still love Melbourne)
turbo engines
V10 engines
those Ferrari V12s
Those humerously unreliable Peugeots
Honda engines (not their team though)
Some say GPWS is a bit mad...It is, but blame that godawful Jean Marie-Biasti...
Reverie Planetarian

Post by Reverie Planetarian »

Wider cars

Colorful teams

Having multiple engine types all on the same grid

Bigger grids

Attrition

Skidplate sparks

Oddballs (the 6-wheelers and other funky examples of lateral engineering)

Tracks with corners with names

Four-digit horsepower numbers

More freedom of sponsors

Rivalries that were less like comparing scores and more like wars

Flukes

A Williams that you can be proud of

Colorful drivers
Some say he plans to put an S921 on the Goodwood 2012 run, and that he DOES know what Deletraz is doing.
All we know is...he's called Perry McCarthy!

...we'll never see an S921 at Goodwood, will we?
koza

Post by koza »

- drivers desperately trying to qualify or even race in their team mate's car (after damaging their own). It was quite often seen even in nineties
-spare cars! i wonder how the grid would look like after pile-up like Spa 98
Malinth

Post by Malinth »

Definitely the ear-piercing sound of the V10's and V12's. I was lucky enough to be in the grandstand for the inaugural Malaysian GP, and I tell you what, the massive noise the cars made just had us all on our feet, it felt bloody awesome. Unfortunately I've never heard a V12 up close, but all the clips you can find on the internet tells you enough! :)

Call me mad, but I rather liked the pointy bits of the 2004-2008 cars. To me, it made them look liked aggressive monsters.

Wheel to wheel racing is definitely another thing. Spain showed that DRS isn't a massive help, and although the tyres spice things up a tad bit, it's still not bringing us back to the good old wheel banging stuff. I feel as though F1 need the 80s regulations back. The budget restrictions nowadays mean that the cars will be overtaking-inducive, while there still isn't such a massive gap from first to last. Also, we need to get rid of crummy 'easy penalties', their totally discouraging risk taking.
The Legend That Is Greg Moore
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Unrealibility has already been mentioned and explained by dinizintheoven.

Waking up (or rather not going to bed) at 4 AM to watch the Australian GP.

Minardi. Particularly, Minardi scoring points.

Engine development.

Cars painted on yellow, orange, light blue.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Vepe

Post by Vepe »

Attrition
Small teams just barely hangin´ on there
Different engine configurations (1.5l I4,V6,V8 turbos and 3.5l V8,V10,V12 naturally aspirated engines)
Many tyre companies
not-Tilke tracks
30-40 drivers competing for grid positions
innovations

and the list goes on and on and on...
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Attrition
A1 Ring
Jos Verstappen
Minardi
Jordan
Arrows
SOOPAH AGURI
Takuma Sato
Jean Alesi
Williams being a competitive team
Backmarkers that got in the way of every driver e.g. Alliot and De Cesaris
James Hunt's commentary, especially slating other drivers
Drivers not getting penalties for contact
I like the way Snrub thinks!
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

This might sound silly, but I really miss the haphazard, mish-mash collections of advertising hoardings that used to characterise tracksides, particularly Imola and Monza if you look at old races from the 80s and 90s (not sure why Italy was such a big fan!) but I was reminded of it today in Monaco where that style is very much still in force! I guess it's not here any more because of partly the corporate pressure, but also the smaller number of sponsors for most races, it was probably only different for Monaco because they're queuing up to advertise there as so many watch it.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

Attrition
The FIA being harder on drivers who screw up royally (see Hamilton at Monaco 2011)
Drivers from multiple racing series
Minardi, or more preciesly, pre-Paul Stoddart Minardi (seriously, from 2001 on those Minardis just looked bland compared to the ones from 1995 to 2000)
Larger grids
The old FIA intro
Engine regs so anyone can run anything if it's at least at a certain displacement
Large variety of teams
Colorful liveries (Yellow Jordans, Telefonica Minardi, Orange Spykers, Bright blue Ligier/Prosts, etc)
Multiple tire manufacturers
Oddball cars
Mismatching wheels: I remember in 1998 Sauber ran cars with 5 spoke rear wheels and 6 split-spoke front wheels
Heck, various wheel shapes: 4 spokes, 3 spokes, list goes on
nigellamansell

Post by nigellamansell »

James Allen.....only joking

Actually what I miss most are 2 fat wheels at the back, and 2 small ones on the front
Keeping away from the white lines...allegedly
sulman

Post by sulman »

AndreaModa wrote:This might sound silly, but I really miss the haphazard, mish-mash collections of advertising hoardings that used to characterise tracksides, particularly Imola and Monza if you look at old races from the 80s and 90s (not sure why Italy was such a big fan!) but I was reminded of it today in Monaco where that style is very much still in force! I guess it's not here any more because of partly the corporate pressure, but also the smaller number of sponsors for most races, it was probably only different for Monaco because they're queuing up to advertise there as so many watch it.

You beat me to it. I was just thinking this, having been reminded of it watching the Senna docu.

Also, Kerbs. Different shapes and sizes, and paint! Monaco today reminded me why we need the old steeper kerbs back, and stop moving the bloody walls!
dnhrudi

Post by dnhrudi »

I miss wide cars and fat tyres, Brands Hatch, characters like Reggazoni, and interesting helmet designs, I wont go on, will start to get all emotional and wondering why I'm still watching.......
Thunderer

Post by Thunderer »

Drivers who celebrated a win with a celebration other than a solitary finger. :lol:
I don't know what Deletraz is doing either...
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

sulman wrote:You beat me to it. I was just thinking this, having been reminded of it watching the Senna docu.

Also, Kerbs. Different shapes and sizes, and paint! Monaco today reminded me why we need the old steeper kerbs back, and stop moving the bloody walls!

Totally agree. They always used to have a surplus of sky blue paint lying around at Ricard didn't they, judging by their kerbs?
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Dan B wrote:Attrition
The FIA being harder on drivers who screw up royally (see Hamilton at Monaco 2011)
Minardi, or more preciesly, pre-Paul Stoddart Minardi (seriously, from 2001 on those Minardis just looked bland compared to the ones from 1995 to 2000)
Larger grids
The old FIA intro
Engine regs so anyone can run anything if it's at least at a certain displacement
Large variety of teams
Colorful liveries (Yellow Jordans, Telefonica Minardi, Orange Spykers, Bright blue Ligier/Prosts, etc)
Oddball cars
Mismatching wheels: I remember in 1998 Sauber ran cars with 5 spoke rear wheels and 6 split-spoke front wheels

http://youtu.be/p7c3R-wdvpM this intro?
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

WeirdKerr wrote:
Dan B wrote:Attrition
Larger grids
The old FIA intro
Large variety of teams
Oddball cars

http://youtu.be/p7c3R-wdvpM this intro?

But of course.
mario

Post by mario »

sulman wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:This might sound silly, but I really miss the haphazard, mish-mash collections of advertising hoardings that used to characterise tracksides, particularly Imola and Monza if you look at old races from the 80s and 90s (not sure why Italy was such a big fan!) but I was reminded of it today in Monaco where that style is very much still in force! I guess it's not here any more because of partly the corporate pressure, but also the smaller number of sponsors for most races, it was probably only different for Monaco because they're queuing up to advertise there as so many watch it.

You beat me to it. I was just thinking this, having been reminded of it watching the Senna docu.

That is down to Bernie, and FOM - they have a subsidiary company which has control over what advertising can and cannot be shown during the race weekend (and there was a brief argument last year where FOM threatened to use those powers against FOTA). I guess that they go easy on Monaco because of its unusual status, though...

dnhrudi wrote:I miss wide cars and fat tyres, Brands Hatch, characters like Reggazoni, and interesting helmet designs, I wont go on, will start to get all emotional and wondering why I'm still watching.......

To be honest, Brands Hatch had to go - the safety measures were inadequate for the lap times, and average lap speeds, that the cars could do, even back in the 1980's (Mansell still holds the lap record at Brands Hatch, with a sub 1m10 lap in the 1986 British GP). As we saw saw during the Superleague race last year, and during a BTCC race too, an airborne car could easily come down in a dangerous area (the BTCC crash was more worrying, since a marshall was nearly hit by the car as almost landed on top of a marshalls post).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

mario wrote:
sulman wrote:

That is down to Bernie, and FOM - they have a subsidiary company which has control over what advertising can and cannot be shown during the race weekend (and there was a brief argument last year where FOM threatened to use those powers against FOTA). I guess that they go easy on Monaco because of its unusual status, though...

True, but there's always the same bunch of companies advertising at each race (obviously Pirelli, but also Shell, DHL, UBS, etc, etc.) it's just that Monaco had them arranged much more nicely, randomly around the circuit whereas normally you'll see certain portions of the circuit given over to each company - for example at Silverstone last year Shell had Copse and the run up through Maggots and Becketts.

I want random advertisement placement dammit! :lol:

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dnhrudi

Post by dnhrudi »

mario wrote:
sulman wrote:

dnhrudi wrote:I miss wide cars and fat tyres, Brands Hatch, characters like Reggazoni, and interesting helmet designs, I wont go on, will start to get all emotional and wondering why I'm still watching.......

To be honest, Brands Hatch had to go - the safety measures were inadequate for the lap times, and average lap speeds, that the cars could do, even back in the 1980's (Mansell still holds the lap record at Brands Hatch, with a sub 1m10 lap in the 1986 British GP). As we saw saw during the Superleague race last year, and during a BTCC race too, an airborne car could easily come down in a dangerous area (the BTCC crash was more worrying, since a marshall was nearly hit by the car as almost landed on top of a marshalls post).

Still miss the place though... you know what it was with that place? it was the big elevation changes, so little of that these days. F1 lacks swoop!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AndreaModa wrote:
mario wrote:That is down to Bernie, and FOM - they have a subsidiary company which has control over what advertising can and cannot be shown during the race weekend (and there was a brief argument last year where FOM threatened to use those powers against FOTA). I guess that they go easy on Monaco because of its unusual status, though...

True, but there's always the same bunch of companies advertising at each race (obviously Pirelli, but also Shell, DHL, UBS, etc, etc.) it's just that Monaco had them arranged much more nicely, randomly around the circuit whereas normally you'll see certain portions of the circuit given over to each company - for example at Silverstone last year Shell had Copse and the run up through Maggots and Becketts.

I want random advertisement placement dammit! :lol:

Didn't Jamie and Enoch describe a lap of Monaco by using the advertising hoardings on a podcast a year or two ago?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

About adverts: When new track is added to F1 calendar, I have actually used adverts to identify parts of the track. Like "turn 8 is just after DHL sign goes over the track"

I have done so for few years now, basically Valencia, Singapore, Abu Dhabi and Yeongam. Have to do with India too.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I may get a lot of hate for this, but I like this more than The Chain http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2R8C-qZl0A
But well, I do like Apollo 440 rather a lot... :D
The 2003 intro was pretty sweet too.

I miss stop-go penalties too. Watching Schumacher agonisingly waiting in his pit box while cars flew past was satisfying :mrgreen:
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
JeanDenisAlcatraz

Post by JeanDenisAlcatraz »

That was a classic intro. Back when ITV was (just) bearable.

Can't remember if it's been said before, but the big, chunky old yellow/black/blue graphics that F1 used in the 90s were classic.
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

Old intro on the Finnish MTV3 channel. Best F1 intro ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oV69wZeRYg&feature=related
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Benetton wrote:Old intro on the Finnish MTV3 channel. Best F1 intro ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oV69wZeRYg&feature=related

Sorry, but you can't beat anything with The Chain, but particularly with the 1994 graphics unveiling that year's Williams-Renault. Can't find it on YouTube at the moment though. :(
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Even though they didn't play it here in the U.S., I've seen enough clips on youtube to know that this starting grid theme is something that will be missed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjyh-nDx ... re=related
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

DOSBoot wrote:Even though they didn't play it here in the U.S., I've seen enough clips on youtube to know that this starting grid theme is something that will be missed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjyh-nDx ... re=related

YES! That was amazing.

Another thing I miss, The French Grand Prix.
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

redbulljack14 wrote:
YES! That was amazing.

Well, "The Neverending Story" happens to be one of my all time favorite movies, so I had to post that song.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

The Japanese TV F1 intro song (Truth) and it's rather-awesome animated 3D renders: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXXWjDcHa58
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

I miss not knowing which teams will score points before the weekend starts. The status quo is pretty much set and upsets like Onyx getting a podium are things of the past.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
JeanDenisAlcatraz

Post by JeanDenisAlcatraz »

I miss the excitement I used to feel as the lights went on. Maybe it was because I was a child, but I used to get butterflies in my stomach every time.

Anyone who's watched the most recent episode of South Park will understand the how I feel now.
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

JeanDenisAlcatraz wrote:I miss the excitement I used to feel as the lights went on. Maybe it was because I was a child, but I used to get butterflies in my stomach every time.

Anyone who's watched the most recent episode of South Park will understand the how I feel now.

I still get those feelings. I'm always expecting some large crash at the first corner as the whole circus rampages towards it.
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

cretoxyrhina wrote:SSSSUUUPPPAHH AGURI!
Takuma Sato at his peak.
Mika Hakkinen vs Michael Schumacher
My local 2002 coverage. Clearly the best ever (not very good, though...)

redbulljack14 wrote:Jos Verstappen, he's 39, younger than Schumi and PDLR. Give Massa the boot, Jos the Boss in.

Well, Nigel Mansell is only several years older, he's only what, 57? :lol:

I too miss Takuma Sato.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

By the look of yesterday's GP, races in really wet conditions.
BabyG

Post by BabyG »

OK, so the reasons not to stand in the middle of a grand prix circuit are obvious, but I miss the chequered flag man standing out on the trak to wave the victor home!
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I miss the times when the cars used to be parked up on the side of the track once they'd retired! No safety cars needed for umpteen laps to wait for some slow tow truck to get the car halfway round the course to a 'safe place'!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

AndreaModa wrote:I miss the times when the cars used to be parked up on the side of the track once they'd retired! No safety cars needed for umpteen laps to wait for some slow tow truck to get the car halfway round the course to a 'safe place'!

This.
Waris

Post by Waris »

I miss Jacques Villeneuve ;.; and the United States Grand Prix (luckily it's coming back, and at a half-decent track too, by the looks of it).
I miss when there were more different colours on the grid, and when a team could enter a season halfway through, or just at a few races, like Mercedes and Lancia did in 1954 and Renault in 1977, and also privateer entries/private teams.

Most of all, though, I guess, I miss the time when F1 was more compatible with other types of racing, especially IndyCar (or should I say "American open-wheel racing", since the name IndyCar didn't exist back then). From 1950-1960, the Indianapolis 500 counted for the World Championship. When I first found out about that, I thought it was so bizarre and cool. (I'll never forget first taking a look at the 1950 drivers and teams and wondering why there were so many Americans...) Sadly, they took it off the calendar just when those worlds were beginning to mix a little. In 1952, Alberto Ascari entered the Indy 500 in a specially designed Ferrari. In 1959, Roger Ward (that year's Indy 500 winner, I think) entered the United States Grand Prix at Sebring with a Kurtis Kraft midget car. Then in the sixties, there was Brabham, Stewart, Hill, Clark... taking part in the Indy 500, with Hill and Clark even winning. Brabham, McLaren, March all designed cars for Indy, at some point March was even the sole chassis supplier, I think.
I'd love to see F1 cars go round on an oval, WITHOUT nasty accidents...
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS