Your race Carreer (real life)

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
f1-gast

Your race Carreer (real life)

Post by f1-gast »

Well no virtual Carreer but a real carreer.
Do you or did you ever been active in the auto or motorsport and what have you droven in etc ? and if you stoped why you did that ?
==ROBIN FRIJNS FOR SAUBER IN 2014==
Founder of unracedf1.com and a formula 1 fan since 1994 :) !
http://www.facebook.com/UnracedF1
f1-gast

Re: Your race Carreer (real life)

Post by f1-gast »

Back in 2003 when i was 13 i was a go-kart driver, i had a kart that was already 5yo.
Had to do the technical stuff plumbing etc on my own sometimes i had some help.
I did about 13 races.
And my best place was a 4th place, and 2 poles, and in the races i could beat up with the guys that got the Experience.
But i had to stop after the 13th race because i had a weird accident (flew up side down in the air because i got launched by a other driver), got the luck that i could release the safety belt, destroyed 2 lowest vertebra's of my back.
6 weeks later i was back in a race, i qualified 7th but recognized i wasn't able to move my lags only my feet... that was really the end of my Carreer :(

Nowerdays i do some karting heats everymonth with friends.
Ans Begin this year i had this test in a Renault Clio-cup and the Suzuki Swift cup cars and was still petty quick, 4th fast time of 10 drivers and 6th fast time of 15 drivers.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Wow nice one dude! Gutted about the injury though that must have been hard to deal with.

I've never competed in any races, but I used to go karting fairly regularly up at Silverstone when I was around 9 or 10, got quite into it at one point but never took it further, something that I still wish I had to this day. I remember one of the guys in charge up there wrote on one of my timing sheet printouts to "keep up the good work and to go and see him when I became a famous F1 driver"! I was so proud of that it's quite funny thinking back to it now, I wish I still had the printouts as I kept them for years stuck on my bedroom wall...maybe they're lying around somewhere.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Unfortunetaly, no. Though I might try some autocross, or rally, sometime in the future. Money is just way too tight for me right now. However one of my cousins is an amature rally car driver. He even managed to win a rally event once, I can't remeber the name of the rally, but I'll let you know more about it if it comes around my mind again.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

I don't even have friends to go karting with (they're just not interested in autosport) so not much experience, absolutely nothing in competition. From what i remember i was slow on indoor but faster on outdoor, but that had probably to do with daily car driving experience.

Maybe if i could find some money and some people willing to invest too (or at least someone to help building it) i could buy a westfield or caterham and race that, somewhere in the future. Or vw fun cup should be do-able too, but i think driving caterhams is more exciting than driving beetles, on the other hand, vw fun cup has the 25h of spa race, you can drive with up to 8 drivers per car, how rejectful is that, we should totally enter a reject-forum-team :D (you can enter 4 drivers per regular race, wich is pretty rejectful too, but it makes it affordable)
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

This wrote:I don't even have friends to go karting with (they're just not interested in autosport) so not much experience, absolutely nothing in competition. From what i remember i was slow on indoor but faster on outdoor, but that had probably to do with daily car driving experience.

Maybe if i could find some money and some people willing to invest too (or at least someone to help building it) i could buy a westfield or caterham and race that, somewhere in the future. Or vw fun cup should be do-able too, but i think driving caterhams is more exciting than driving beetles, on the other hand, vw fun cup has the 25h of spa race, you can drive with up to 8 drivers per car, how rejectful is that, we should totally enter a reject-forum-team :D (you can enter 4 drivers per regular race, wich is pretty rejectful too, but it makes it affordable)

I´m up for that Spa race, although I have no experience at all, but if only for fun (and being able to drive Spa) I would do it!!
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Have to agree with Aerond here - I don't know jack, although I am very tempted to drive in Spa. Although we might need to modify the car a bit for my demands. Life sure is awful when you're 2.01 meters tall.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Crikey I'd jump at the chance to race at somewhere like Spa! It would be mightily tempting if someone offered it, I guess though with real world commitments and money as always, it would be pretty tricky.

It's one of those things you always wish for when you're younger, to grow up and become a race driver, astronaut, rock star, whatever. I'd love to realise it one day...

Gimme a shout if you fancy it ;)
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

I really, really need to get in a kart very soon. Martin Brundle started at my age, and had a so-so career, so... :roll:
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
Sauber010

Post by Sauber010 »

I've actually been quite fortunate to be able to race things since I was young. (and still am!)

I began racing karts when I was 10-ish, and raced them for around six-and-a-half years. Last year I made the jump into cars, racing in the Formula Vee category. Its a great club category, and fills the urge without having to break the bank too much. :)
I'm just in it for fun really these days. I threw my hat in the ring and tried to make it back in the day, but like most motorsport, money talks!
Full time reader, Part time responder.
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

I do the occasional trackday when I have the time in my RX-8, which has some modifications designed by myself for myself (e.g. the custom dampers, which took four rounds of testing to get right). I'm also an avid canyon runner which probably means I'm better suited as a rally driver than a track racer.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Is this for race drviving career only or race engineering as well?
For race driving, I raced in a couple of long-distance go-kart races in Portugal, in Evora. 1 24-hour race (8 drivers) and 1 12-hour race (6 drivers). We were classified mid-to-bottom for both races, I can't remember exactly where.
It quickly became apparent to all that I wasn't going to make a decent racing driver, mainly for 3 reasons:

1 - not rich enough
2 - not brave enough
3 - not good enough

I was the slowest of all of the people in the team, also because they were all built like racing snakes and I was and am of a somewhat larger build.
Last edited by Faustus on 23 Jan 2013, 15:41, edited 3 times in total.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Aerond wrote:
This wrote:I don't even have friends to go karting with (they're just not interested in autosport) so not much experience, absolutely nothing in competition. From what i remember i was slow on indoor but faster on outdoor, but that had probably to do with daily car driving experience.

I´m up for that Spa race, although I have no experience at all, but if only for fun (and being able to drive Spa) I would do it!!

Despite only a few outings in Karts (in which I know that I am faster than the average, but not that faster) I am also in for that race at Spa. We need to get some stickers and those kind of things. :D
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Sauber010

Post by Sauber010 »

DanielPT wrote:
Aerond wrote:
This wrote:Maybe if i could find some money and some people willing to invest too (or at least someone to help building it) i could buy a westfield or caterham and race that, somewhere in the future. Or vw fun cup should be do-able too, but i think driving caterhams is more exciting than driving beetles, on the other hand, vw fun cup has the 25h of spa race, you can drive with up to 8 drivers per car, how rejectful is that, we should totally enter a reject-forum-team :D (you can enter 4 drivers per regular race, wich is pretty rejectful too, but it makes it affordable)

Despite only a few outings in Karts (in which I know that I am faster than the average, but not that faster) I am also in for that race at Spa. We need to get some stickers and those kind of things. :D

I would look at trekking to Europe if this was to go ahead!
Full time reader, Part time responder.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

I might actually try to volunteer at the Baltimore Grand Prix.
I have also had some experience from working on a late model stock car(yes the ones that turn left, for the "ew,NASCAR" people) in my autoshop class. Don't worry, my instructor is the least redneck person to own and pit crew one of those cars.
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

This wrote:Maybe if i could find some money and some people willing to invest too (or at least someone to help building it) i could buy a westfield or caterham and race that, somewhere in the future. Or vw fun cup should be do-able too, but i think driving caterhams is more exciting than driving beetles, on the other hand, vw fun cup has the 25h of spa race, you can drive with up to 8 drivers per car, how rejectful is that, we should totally enter a reject-forum-team :D (you can enter 4 drivers per regular race, wich is pretty rejectful too, but it makes it affordable)

I'd certainly be interested in helping with this, especially as a driver if we can get that F1 Rejects Forum Team going. As for me personally, I've raced a few times in karts, and actually have not lost a race to date. Then again, I haven't been karting for 6 years or so.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

I've got only some regular arrive-and-drive karting under my belt, but I'm apparently better than average. I've driven on almost ten tracks, but usually no more than twice. In my only real race (which was during a lesson), I finished third in an inferior kart (for children instead of adults).

In a practical sense, the VW Fun Cup would be a great experience (as soon as I'm 18) and I'm sure that, with permission of course, an F1 Rejects team would havenot much success.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

Never driven anything else than a normal road car unfortunately. I was never into individual sports when I was young. My mother had me try out alpine skiing and tennis but I ended up playing team sports instead. Karting was never brought up although the finances would've been there. It's a bit unfortunate since I consider myself a darn good driver in real life and my height is 171 cm, so quite an ideal combination. But if I one day will have a son I'll certainly try to persuade him to start go karting at an early age. Finland needs world champions in the future too.
Last edited by Benetton on 07 May 2011, 00:04, edited 1 time in total.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

a car (vw fun cup) seems to be costing 37990€ (a bit more for a two-seater, don't really know what it is but i guess it's for giving your sponsors a ride during the race)
entrance cost is 9480 for a season and 3950 for the 25h race (not included in the championship) it seems you can drive with 2 to 6 drivers (and 3 to 8 in the 25h) yet it's still do-able do do a whole season if we use like 20 drivers or so (you don't have to use the same driver per race of course)
the entrance cost also includes 5 free meals :D

prices are tax excluded.

yes it's only driving slow beetles (though they have reputation for being fun), but hey, we can put a big F1 rejects logo on it :D and it's at spa, and it's 25 hours, not 24. (renting a car maks you 23922€, spa only)
you can also let your car being maintained by the organisers, of course this also costs money (but probably you can do it yourself too)
driver equippement and racing licenses aren't included either.

seems that you can do an 'all in' for 56950€ or 22782€for the 25h (i do have a feeling those prices aren't really consequent, anyone with more brains should check this out)
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

I love how quickly this thread jumped from "I used to kart when I was younger" to "LET'S CLUB TOGETHER AND ENTER THIS RACING SERIES FOR ONLY 40,000 EUROS!" :lol:

I karted a few times at my local indoor track when I was small, then I moved up to more powerful machines on outdoor tracks (Rye House, Whilton Mill and Red Lodge) at university level. I have one podium finish from about twelve races or so since then. I took part in the test day for the British Universities Karting Championship for the 2009/10 season, but unfortunately our B team's entry for the championship was scratched after we only entered the A team for the first event, so I didn't get a chance to race (although this was probably a good thing, as I was one of the slowest drivers during the test day, and spent most of the time spinning into piles of wood shavings. I was also black-flagged three times, each time for a different offence).

Aside from that, I've also had two track days at Croft, which were presents for my 18th and 21st birthdays. The first time I drove a Porsche 911 and Ginetta G20 in the wet; the second time a Porsche Cayman, a Ferrari F355 and the Ginetta again in the sunshine. The Ginetta was my favourite due to its open top; the Porsches and Ferraris were cumbersome by comparison, despite the extra power!
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

This wrote:yes it's only driving slow beetles (though they have reputation for being fun), but hey, we can put a big F1 rejects logo on it :D and it's at spa, and it's 25 hours, not 24. (renting a car maks you 23922€, spa only)

That's quite a sum actually. I don't think we can do that ourselves. Anyone knows some sponsors?
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

just all ask your boss and your local snack bar for 5000€ and we'll make it (and we can rent something rejectful somewhere for the 24h of nurburgring too) this is an essential part of our quest to pay tribute to our heroes!
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

I´m trying to launch a business and if it goes well I could well chip in 5000 or more :D
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Four karting races for me, two indoors and two outdoors. Few other times I have been driving but that's mostly my own. I had one quite a big smash about 10 years ago when I went through two rows of tyres. (just a single layer to mark the edge of the track). I actually made quite a shortcut there...

Indoors: both on same circuit, first one was 12th out of 14. Well, most others had a lot more experience. Few smaller hits to the wall, both in apexes and outside walls.

second time, 19th out of 21. Not much happening, once jammed into inside wall.

The track was very tight and generally it was very difficult to overtake there. It was well known fact, and it was not a coincidence that the races took place in Singapore and Monaco GP weekends...

Outdoors:

Different group of people here, in different locations.

1st track was generally quite boring. Start/finish straight was quite long, but corners were basically quite open 90-degree corners (so quite fast) and hairpins. Oh, and one chicane where I had much difficulties. Overall there was 18 drivers, split into groups of six. Two best from each heat to the A final, next two to B final and so on. I ended up in B final and was 2nd on the grid. I took the lead from the start but the polesitter guy was able to overtake me late in the race (yes, just after that chicane). So I was 8th overall.

2nd track was much more interesting with many different kind of corners. One downhill left-hander was very difficult for me in the practice, I spun there about three or four times in practice. Three qualification races where top two would go to A final. I was 2nd so went to A final which was supposed to have six drivers.

But after all, we ended with only four. After a big crash (happened in the corner where I had those practice difficulties) in B final one driver needed check-up in hospital, one car was too damaged and driver's relative left to the hospital as well. Five left and one car broke before the race so in the end there was four. The organizer was helpful and pulled out of the race so the one whose car broke could start.

I made a brilliant start and led the race into first corner. Then I had a small contact with other driver midway through the first lap and I was stuck with him. When we were helped back to the race I was slightly ahead but top two was gone to the distance. I started to have a battle for 3rd place. I was better in the latter part of the circuit, he in the early part. On the final lap I ran slightly wide and he went by, so I ended 4th.
IdeFan

Post by IdeFan »

I spent a year hillclimbing in 2007, sharing an old Porsche 924S with my brother. I was a long way off him that year, not helped by my reletive inexperience in "proper" cars, I didn't even have a road licence at the time and given the nature of British Hillclimbing (courses less than a mile in length, much shorter than European style) I didn't really catch up much over the course of the year, I think I covered less than 50 miles all season!

My brother won our class championship in what was his third year (Porsche Club Speed Championship) and we decided to venture further afield after our championship ended and entered a Hillclimb at St. Gueno in Brittany. Unfortunately on the last corner of his last run he crashed heavily and the subsequent head injuries put him in a coma for the best part of three months. You'll be happy to know he has made a near full recovery, though he still has a bit of trouble with the right side of his body, his right arm in particular, not unlike a stroke victim.

We still don't know what exactly caused the crash, we were watching further down the course when it happens. My brother doesn't remember anything of the weekend, and our video camera we were using for onboard mysteriously vanished, we don't know if it was taken by one of the marshalls on the scene or if it flew off in the impact, but its probably for the best, I'm not sure I want to see onboard for that crash.

Needless to say my "career" also ended there, perhaps in the future I might get back into it. Having now got my road licence and gotten more used to driving cars I think I would do a much better job than I did that year, there was never much to chose between my brother and I in karts so with more experience I should have been able to get close to him in cars.

Anyway here are a couple of onboard videos of my brother, I'm sure if you snoop around you might find some onboard of me, but I assure you its quite pathetic by comparison!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_6WGRWKZAs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNP8Ii_NpQQ
"Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one!" - James Hunt, Monaco 1982
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

AndreaModa wrote:Wow nice one dude! Gutted about the injury though that must have been hard to deal with.

Well not at all, when i was in the air and smashed to the ground i thought bathplug this, im back the next race what i actually did.
I still could walk, so at that time i didn't realize that i destroyed my back. The shock came in the next race when i didn't felt my legs anymore only my feet.
And there was already contact with some Formula ford constructors about testing formula fords, and even for a contract in 2004 that hurts the most !
But hey i can't complain, got a great life after all ;)

And in July i have again 2 tests, and maybe if im still the same as in the winter i will race 2 or 3 races =)
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

IdeFan wrote:I spent a year hillclimbing in 2007, sharing an old Porsche 924S with my brother. I was a long way off him that year, not helped by my reletive inexperience in "proper" cars, I didn't even have a road licence at the time and given the nature of British Hillclimbing (courses less than a mile in length, much shorter than European style) I didn't really catch up much over the course of the year, I think I covered less than 50 miles all season!

My brother won our class championship in what was his third year (Porsche Club Speed Championship) and we decided to venture further afield after our championship ended and entered a Hillclimb at St. Gueno in Brittany. Unfortunately on the last corner of his last run he crashed heavily and the subsequent head injuries put him in a coma for the best part of three months. You'll be happy to know he has made a near full recovery, though he still has a bit of trouble with the right side of his body, his right arm in particular, not unlike a stroke victim.

We still don't know what exactly caused the crash, we were watching further down the course when it happens. My brother doesn't remember anything of the weekend, and our video camera we were using for onboard mysteriously vanished, we don't know if it was taken by one of the marshalls on the scene or if it flew off in the impact, but its probably for the best, I'm not sure I want to see onboard for that crash.

Needless to say my "career" also ended there, perhaps in the future I might get back into it. Having now got my road licence and gotten more used to driving cars I think I would do a much better job than I did that year, there was never much to chose between my brother and I in karts so with more experience I should have been able to get close to him in cars.

Anyway here are a couple of onboard videos of my brother, I'm sure if you snoop around you might find some onboard of me, but I assure you its quite pathetic by comparison!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_6WGRWKZAs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNP8Ii_NpQQ

Very cool IdeFan! Speed Hillclimbing is awesome!
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

By the way, if we´re going to get (a bit) serious with the Spa thing we should mark some deadlines to see if it´s really doable or not. As I said before, I´m all for it
patrick

Post by patrick »

Faustus wrote:
IdeFan wrote:I spent a year hillclimbing in 2007, sharing an old Porsche 924S with my brother. I was a long way off him that year, not helped by my reletive inexperience in "proper" cars, I didn't even have a road licence at the time and given the nature of British Hillclimbing (courses less than a mile in length, much shorter than European style) I didn't really catch up much over the course of the year, I think I covered less than 50 miles all season!

Agreed, hillclimbing is awesome. check out MPZracevideo on youtube...

as for my "career", well having just gotten my full UK license at 19 it is limited to (carefully and responsibly) bombing it around twisty countryside lanes in my county. I'd love to get into rally or hillclimb though - my grandfather was a track motorcycle racer and car hillclimb driver, and one of England's foremost hillclimb constructors (Pilbeam Racing Designs) is literally just down the road from where I live. Only so far I can get in a MK4 escort though - and every day I have to resist the urge to drop my savings on a 944 -.-
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

patrick wrote:
Faustus wrote:

as for my "career", well having just gotten my full UK license at 19 it is limited to (carefully and responsibly) bombing it around twisty countryside lanes in my county. I'd love to get into rally or hillclimb though - my grandfather was a track motorcycle racer and car hillclimb driver, and one of England's foremost hillclimb constructors (Pilbeam Racing Designs) is literally just down the road from where I live. Only so far I can get in a MK4 escort though - and every day I have to resist the urge to drop my savings on a 944 -.-

So you live near Bourne, then? Have you ever been to Pilbeam? If not, definitely go along and ask if they'll show you around. I've been there twice when my mate Peter was Mike Pilbeam's design engineer slave. Very interesting place and Mike Pilbeam is a really nice guy.
Don't bother with the 944, save your money. You can get cheap single-seaters for £3k, like old Formula Ford cars and stuff like that. Get a trailer for 500 quid and you're away.
I do so wish there were more hillclimbs near me in Kent. There are bugger all here, they're all in the West Country or the North Midlands. I've been to Prescott and Shelsley Walsh before and it was awesome.
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

Klon wrote:
This wrote:yes it's only driving slow beetles (though they have reputation for being fun), but hey, we can put a big F1 rejects logo on it :D and it's at spa, and it's 25 hours, not 24. (renting a car maks you 23922€, spa only)

That's quite a sum actually. I don't think we can do that ourselves. Anyone knows some sponsors?

Good news; we may be able to get a 2nd hand one!!

http://www.vw-cup.co.uk/forsale.htm
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Aerond wrote:By the way, if we´re going to get (a bit) serious with the Spa thing we should mark some deadlines to see if it´s really doable or not. As I said before, I´m all for it

Seconded. Although cash is hard to come by these days in this country. If this gets serious enough I will make an effort though!
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
patrick

Post by patrick »

Faustus wrote:
patrick wrote:
Faustus wrote:

So you live near Bourne, then? Have you ever been to Pilbeam? If not, definitely go along and ask if they'll show you around. I've been there twice when my mate Peter was Mike Pilbeam's design engineer slave. Very interesting place and Mike Pilbeam is a really nice guy.
Don't bother with the 944, save your money. You can get cheap single-seaters for £3k, like old Formula Ford cars and stuff like that. Get a trailer for 500 quid and you're away.
I do so wish there were more hillclimbs near me in Kent. There are bugger all here, they're all in the West Country or the North Midlands. I've been to Prescott and Shelsley Walsh before and it was awesome.

Yes indeed, home of BRM too as I'm sure you know (although I feel the heritage is pretty neglected). I haven't had the chance to look around but I always have a peek down the road when I pass. I'll take your advice and pop in someday though, my dad would probably enjoy a look as well.
I'd definately go for an old open wheeler though, even if it's just to see the look on my parents' faces :lol:
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

Look; I´ve read this:

http://www.funcup.co.uk/drives01.asp

So, if this is true, we could rent a drive for Spa for 18,500 pounds, everything included, plus VAT. This would be around 3000 pounds each if we´re 8 people.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

patrick wrote:Yes indeed, home of BRM too as I'm sure you know (although I feel the heritage is pretty neglected). I haven't had the chance to look around but I always have a peek down the road when I pass. I'll take your advice and pop in someday though, my dad would probably enjoy a look as well.
I'd definately go for an old open wheeler though, even if it's just to see the look on my parents' faces :lol:

Someone has posted this on the BRM Wikipedia page:

['ExhibitionThere is a small exhibition about Raymond Mays, including his interest in BRM, together with the trophies won by BRM while it was owned by the Owen Organisation, at Bourne Civic Society's Heritage Centre.'
Ever heard of that?

I don't think there is anything left of BRM. I found this:

http://members.madasafish.com/~d_hodgki ... places.htm
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

the buildings still exist of BRM :|
patrick

Post by patrick »

Faustus wrote:
patrick wrote:Yes indeed, home of BRM too as I'm sure you know (although I feel the heritage is pretty neglected). I haven't had the chance to look around but I always have a peek down the road when I pass. I'll take your advice and pop in someday though, my dad would probably enjoy a look as well.

Someone has posted this on the BRM Wikipedia page:

['ExhibitionThere is a small exhibition about Raymond Mays, including his interest in BRM, together with the trophies won by BRM while it was owned by the Owen Organisation, at Bourne Civic Society's Heritage Centre.'
Ever heard of that?

I don't think there is anything left of BRM. I found this:

http://members.madasafish.com/~d_hodgki ... places.htm

the buildings still exist of BRM :|

To my knowledge there isn't much left at all, Raymond Mays' Dealership / Petrol station - which was a Ford dealership until a few years ago and although it carried his name I don't know how well it was linked to him - is currently defunct, for sale, and in a sorry state. I think that premises was part of the BRM factory but the rate of housing construction in the town means that I wouldn't be surprised if any other buildings have - or will be - swallowed up by nasty estates.

As far as exhibitions go, to be frank I don't know where the "Bourne Civic Society's Heritage Centre" despite having lived here for 15 years. I do, however, remember the 1999 50th birthday parade, which had a fantastic array of cars. The best moment of the day was spotting a Lamborghini Countach in the supermarket car-park :lol:
But aside from the small memorial (run by ducks) by the park there is little to indicate BRM existed here. A sorry state of affairs for a team that held a not-too-shabby place in F1 in the 1960s.
Sorry for taking the thread off on a tangent!
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Aerond wrote:Look; I´ve read this:

http://www.funcup.co.uk/drives01.asp

So, if this is true, we could rent a drive for Spa for 18,500 pounds, everything included, plus VAT. This would be around 3000 pounds each if we´re 8 people.

i'm willing to contribute some 100's (not too much, because i don't really have that much to contribute, most of my budget went to my car) without actually driving. Just contributing to an actual team is a step in the right direction. So just actually being there by the track and helping here and there would do fine for me. (if we couldn't find enough drivers i'll contribute more, because it's more worth of a financial risk if i were driving, obviously. i can also contribute more if we are really close to actually making it, but i need to be sure that we would be accepted to race, but then again, what i can contribute is not a huge amount, so we need everybody help in this)
Oh and i think 'the price for printing the f1 rejects sticker' is not included in that price :D
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Being a student, I won't be able to contribute too much, but if you need someone to make up the numbers, I'll do what I can.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

I might contribute with a percentage of that value but probably not all of it. (As I only recently started working).