Your Reject of the Race - Valencia!

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Captain Hammer

Your Reject of the Race - Valencia!

Post by Captain Hammer »

Okay, earlier than scheduled, but it's been a month since the last race. I need my fix of discussing Rejectdom.

Anyway, two people have already put up their hands as potential Rejects. Luca Badoer for having a poor run, but Ferrari are saying it's a brake balance problem, which makes sense as his times are all over the place. Lewis Hamilton is the other; McLaren apparently made a new front wing especially for Valencia, but they only made one and Hamilton broke it and now he's down in eighteenth.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
crazydude1992

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Valencia!

Post by crazydude1992 »

Probably Luca Badoer. Maybe too early to say, but his speed IS currently like of a guy who hadnt driven in F1 for the last ten years...
Artificial intelligence is no match for F1 rejectdom.
Waris

Post by Waris »

I can't reasonably see Enoch and Jamie giving Luca Badoer ROTR, they're still too overjoyed with his return. It's way too early to say anything about it anyway.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

The BBC website still doesn't have the practice sessions online.

Where the hell are the Red Bulls?
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

As slow as he was, I think Hamiton is beating Badoer to ROTR after that gaff in Practise 2. Its Arrows at Monaco 1996 all over again! lol.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

One thing I've learnt from watching today's practice sessions (the first time ever for me) - they're BORING!

Poor Luca, but he's only 1.3 behind the Kimster, and will hopefully improve for qualifying.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

Luca gets my vote, but not for his speed...but for the fact he was caught speeding in the pitlane 4 times. That's poor by anyone's standards, and is plain lax.
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

fjackdaw wrote:One thing I've learnt from watching today's practice sessions (the first time ever for me) - they're BORING!

They can be, but sometimes a few dramatic things happen, such as Kubica's big engine failure at Monaco, and, there are actually more mechanical failures in practice than in the races, so it is swings and roundabouts in my view, as some of the races haven't exactly been great this year either.
My favourite teams: Minardi, Forti, Osella

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

I wouldn't be so tough on Luca. He's one of 3 quasi-rookies in the event, the others being Romain and Jaime. Of those, ge's had the upper hand of Jaime in all sessions. Bourdais would have probably beaten him if in Jaime's place.
It goes to show that entering without much testing isn't easy. Renault knew that they were going to enter Romain at some point mid-season, so they trained him accordingly. And they seem to have had the fastest car all day as well with Alonso, who despite his reject-worthy collision with Heidfeld, came out on top of the time sheets. So Romain is probably a lucky 1st of the trio of quasi-rookies.

I don't see a sign of a particular reject just yet, except empty grandstands.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
DCD

Post by DCD »

Luca Badoer is the reject itself for the GP.

The impressive record of being fined 4 times due to speeding on the pit-lane makes him proud to be part of F1Rejects. :D
lostpin

Post by lostpin »

Does anyone have an idea how much does a pit speeding penalty cost? :mrgreen:
An animator that happens to love racing... :)
http://lostpin.net
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

lostpin wrote:Does anyone have an idea how much does a pit speeding penalty cost? :mrgreen:

I think they pay a value for each km/h past the limit when they're clocked. And there's probably provision to increase the fines for recidivists... :roll:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Badoer is a bit of side-show; the main event - the strongest case for Reject of the Race - is Red Bull. hey've been steadily going backwards all weekend: where Vettel and Webber were fifth and ninth in FP1, that became ninth ad fourteenth in FP2 and now eighteenth and seventeenth in FP3. With the track rubbering in and getting progressively faster all weekend, Red Bull are standing still at best and backpedalling at worst when they need to be taking the fight to Brawn. And it's made worse by Brawn's return to form. One good result from Jenson Button could kill their chances of a World Drivers' Crown.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

As much as I hate to say it, it has to be Badoer. Speeding 4 times in the pit lane plus being horrendously slow. It's a no brainer.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
lostpin

Post by lostpin »

I don't really think that Badoer will be eligible for this GP's ROTR (unless he makes something really out of the box), cause it's really his first race after ten years, in a car that he has never driven before, and driving at a pace that he has probably forgotten by now... but we'll keep a sharp eye on him for the next GP... :D
Valrys

Post by Valrys »

I can't bring myself to say Luca, so I'm going to suggest Nakajima, for a pretty amateur mistake that put him out in Q1 - it's doing stuff like that that makes him miss out on points.

Also, Toyota, for still being rather slow, while everyone else has made significant improvements. Toro Rosso, while still being down with the Toyotas, manage to turn in some competitive laps courteously of Buemi
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Hmmm, Valencia is a street circuit, where errors are usually paid for. I'll still hold my judgement, no one has been worse than expected - except Badoer, pehaps, but that was expected anyway.

Both Red Bulls made it into Q3.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Are the BBC correct in their assertion that Luca has just broken another record - the first person to qualify a Ferrari in last place?

Fingers crossed he'll still be there next week, we might get a chance to see him at least in Q2.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

fjackdaw wrote:Are the BBC correct in their assertion that Luca has just broken another record - the first person to qualify a Ferrari in last place?

Fingers crossed he'll still be there next week, we might get a chance to see him at least in Q2.

I did like Brundle's assertion that the only way Badoer will be in the car next weekend is if he locks the seatbelts with a padlock only he has the combination for!
deCrasheris

Post by deCrasheris »

Hate to say it but Badoer has been doing everything a reject should be doing with the 4 speeding tickets, putting the Ferrari bog last and i'm wondering if a Ferrari has ever qualified last or even DNQed and was 1.5 seconds off Algueisueri (or however it's spelled). i think it's from not racing in 10 years definitely but based on performance he would get my ROTR :(
RIP Dan Wheldon 1978-2011
SáT

Post by SáT »

fjackdaw wrote:Are the BBC correct in their assertion that Luca has just broken another record - the first person to qualify a Ferrari in last place?

Not really. Peter Whitehead qualified dead last with a privateer Ferrari at the 1950 French Grand Prix, having recorded no time. He came in third, eventually, and this precedent may be a shimmer of hope for Luca. Eheh.

Works Ferrari, though... eh, probably yes. BUT Scheckter DNQ'ed a Ferrari in Canada in 80. That's kind of worse anyhow.

You seriously think they'll retain him for another race? They'll just wash their hands, say they gave Luca a chance, and pretend they're nice guys. Then again, Badoer should have gotten the drive in '99, back when he actually had a chance. The current thing borders on cruelty towards a guy who served them all too well for a decade. Aaargh, the whole thing is so sad.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

SáT wrote:
Works Ferrari, though... eh, probably yes. BUT Scheckter DNQ'ed a Ferrari in Canada in 80. That's kind of worse anyhow.

What happened there? Some mechanical problem? Crashed and got hurt? Badoer will probably be the first to do something so bad to a mechanically sound Ferrari, with no crashes involved.

SáT wrote:

You seriously think they'll retain him for another race? They'll just wash their hands, say they gave Luca a chance, and pretend they're nice guys. Then again, Badoer should have gotten the drive in '99, back when he actually had a chance. The current thing borders on cruelty towards a guy who served them all too well for a decade. Aaargh, the whole thing is so sad.

It was always going to be like this. The thing is, who else could they try and get in their car? The BMW pilots are aware Ferrari seats are taken for next season (even Martin Whitmarsh says Nando is going to Ferrari), and so know the GP2 and F2 drivers that could stand a chance. Besides those, there's Piquet and Bourdais (though Ferrari would never hire a driver that's been fire from elsewhere because of poor performances, right?) and HWNSNBM...
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
SáT

Post by SáT »

CarlosFerreira wrote:What happened there? Some mechanical problem? Crashed and got hurt?

Nope. They were struggling with the setup really bad (Gilles Villeneuve was 22nd on the grid or so too), the car was generally crappy (8 points all year! though there were some awesome performances from Villeneuve), and Scheckter was lacking the pace all year. Reigning world champion, he eventually earned two points, and retired from racing after that. It was quite an annus horribilis for the whole sport.

Badoer will probably be the first to do something so bad to a mechanically sound Ferrari, with no crashes involved.

The current car isn't very awesome at all. But yeah, I'm not saying it's not a shame or something. I just dislike the derision of Badoer.

It was always going to be like this.

Yeah :/. But since we have a fairytale season anyway, with Brawn &c, we might have got a... winning Badoer! Or something.

The thing is, who else could they try and get in their car?

Marc Gené. Or I missed something and he's occupied elsewhere?

Besides those, there's Piquet and Bourdais (though Ferrari would never hire a driver that's been fire from elsewhere because of poor performances, right?)

No idea. They drafted Salo in 99, that was quite inexplicable back then (though everybody knew Salo was decent, and he did have those Ferrari connections that almost got him the second seat besides Schumacher &c &c, but it was still weird).

But Piquet <- oh noes.

and HWNSNBM...

Hehehe, this made me laugh.
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

CarlosFerreira wrote: HWNSNBM...

Now for a totally Valencia-unrelated question that has been bugging me ever since I joined the Rejects-forum.

What has poor Zsolt done to become "He whose name shall not be mentioned"?
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

DonTirri wrote:What has poor Zsolt done to become "He whose name shall not be mentioned"?

It's not so much what he's done as it is what he hasn't done. And what he hasn't done is anything right.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

DonTirri wrote:

Now for a totally Valencia-unrelated question that has been bugging me ever since I joined the Rejects-forum.

No idea. It's a long, ongoing, insider joke on the website, that pre-dates the forum. I always thought it was because he has such a tough-to-spell name.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
DonTirri wrote:

No idea. It's a long, ongoing, insider joke on the website, that pre-dates the forum. I always thought it was because he has such a tough-to-spell name.

If I understood it right, it's about the fact that he was mentioned one time too much on the Podcast and some people didn't like that... :shock:
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

I too think it's because they mentioned his name way too often or something. I once downloaded the podcast with the list of things they would have liked to see in 2005 and first place went to Baumgartner. No mention of the words HWNSNBM there.
Popi_Larrauri

Post by Popi_Larrauri »

Badoer, for holding top speed record on the only wrong sector... that's results to be the pit lane. And four times... guys! must be a tricky button on the steering wheel... In my Megan II Speed limiter is in an arkward place to say the less, and I don't miss it that much!
Winners have lots of friends, losers have good friends.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Popi_Larrauri wrote:Badoer, for holding top speed record on the only wrong sector... that's results to be the pit lane. And four times... guys! must be a tricky button on the steering wheel... In my Megan II Speed limiter is in an arkward place to say the less, and I don't miss it that much!

Hmmmm, maybe he pushed the KERS button by mistake? :roll:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
ZsoltForever

Post by ZsoltForever »

I need to spend more time here, I had no idea Zsolt was HWNSNBM. Even though I saw him score his lone championship point in person -- due to extreme, almost laughable, attrition -- perhaps I need to change my handle.

As for the reject so far, the F1 graphic says it all. Badoer is BAD.

Hate to say it, because I wanted him to fare well, but it's true.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

It's been painful to watch Badoer trail in last place, if he doesn't escape reject status, the 4 fines have to be added to the profile.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

I'm going with Martin Brundle right now. Why? For suggesting Nelson Piquet Jr., of all people, replace Badoer. I'd understand Marc Gene, or Sebastien Bourdais, even, but Piquet!? Come on, the guy's had a second chance. Not under the best circumstances, I'll admit, but all he has to his name this year is that pass on Hamilton.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

In defense of Luca, it has been disappointastic, but he has only had four sessions to get used to it - several drivers have come out and said that nothing else could be expected of him.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/22082009/ ... adoer.html

At least see how he does in the race.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

It is sadly fitting how slow Badoer is from an F1 Rejects point of view...
Bolt Zsaumgartner

Post by Bolt Zsaumgartner »

Why is there any debate here, Luca Badoer is clearly the best reject in the race! (No other competitors have a profile)

Ferrari obviously don't like their test driver testing the pit lane speed limiter (either that or they don't respect the health and safety of their own mechanics during testing) and with a qualifying time 1.5 seconds slower than Alguersuari, he has clearly attempted to add another DNQ to his already stellar Reject record despite the fact that it is now impossible.

With this stunning record at one race meeting (and the race hasn't been run yet), I am tipping that not only will Badoer will not make another race appearance in the car, but that he is already in good stead for REJECT OF THE YEAR! ;)
lostpin

Post by lostpin »

I am wondering if there were ever any car RPM limiters before the year 2000? As far as I remember, they used to have these sort of chicanes on the pit lane entrances in order to slow the cars down...
SáT

Post by SáT »

I think so. IIRC the speed limiters came about in 94-ish. I remember Coulthard blaming his stop&go penalty in the 95 British GP on the fault of his automatic speed limiter.

The Man Himself says about his speeding in the pitlane: "I am used to a 100 kph limit in testing and so when I pressed the speed limiter button at the usual point in the pit lane, it did not give the car enough time to slow to the right speed."

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/ ... -speeding/

Another interesting bit in the article is: "They have told me to treat this race as a test and then go for it at Spa and Monza."

It'll be a test of character as well, if he sees all the shitspitting comments on the internet >_>.
TokyoAussie

Valencia ROTR

Post by TokyoAussie »

After Friday and Saturday, the reject of the race is a lay down misere ("a given" for non-Aussies). Luca!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

I want Raikkonen to wipe out half the field with KERS going into the first corner so Luca won't be given ROTR :mrgreen:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.