Your Reject of the Race - Australia!

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Bob

Your Reject of the Race - Australia!

Post by Bob »

Well someone had to!

I nominate Karun Chandhok :D
Collieafc

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Australia!

Post by Collieafc »

That...is going to be hard to top, after that on first practice. Epic fail! :lol:
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Bob, I'ld run if I were you ;)

And I nominate Chandhok. I mean how can you top THAT?
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
jp22

Post by jp22 »

Collieafc wrote:That...is going to be hard to top, after that on first practice. Epic fail! :lol:

Well this is only first practice, but if he ends up racing this weekend and I don't know how he could do that now unless he finishes P1 at the end of the session.

For actual ROTR I would nominate a fair choice of one of the rookies probably Di Resta or D'Ambrosio I think (and I don't know why, but everytime I hear D'Ambrosio I always think of the Ambrosia custard I haven't had in years :lol: )
Ferrari's are Red, Williams is always Blue. I don't care what other think, but Formula One I love you!
Bob

Post by Bob »

jp22 wrote:
Collieafc wrote:For actual ROTR I would nominate a fair choice of one of the rookies probably Di Resta or D'Ambrosio I think (and I don't know why, but everytime I hear D'Ambrosio I always think of the Ambrosia custard I haven't had in years :lol: )

Yeah I think of rice pudding :lol:
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

An early bath for Karun Chandhok here I think, unless HRT/Virgin manage to DNQ both cars
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

Based on 1 & 2, I'm going with Virgin. Yes, HRT are utterly incompetent, but we expect that of them. Virgin have had their car since the second test; long enough to ensure that the car is actually fast enough to qualify. But on current form they've got no chance.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Bob wrote:Well someone had to!

And that someone is me. It's long been established that this is my baby. Mine!

For that reason, you are now crowned Reject of the Race for Melbourne. Don't do it again.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Looks like Virgin at the moment - I don't think the dire performance of HRT is surprising to anybody, but Virgin being this bad must come as something of a shock.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Captain Hammer wrote:And that someone is me. It's long been established that this is my baby. Mine!

You were too late. F1 is a cut-throat business, no time for slowness. :mrgreen:

My first nomination is the 107 % rule for most likely ruining the chances of HRT (and perhaps Virgin) to make up ground.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

I didn't expect HRT not running at all, so for me is HRT.

Although if somehow they manage to go faster than Virgin, which is highly unlikely but not impossible, then it's a clear ROTR for Virgin.

BTW I don't understand why the new teams are SO slow. I mean teams which have a bit of a budget, like Lotus or Virgin. When BAR joined the sport in 1999 they were competitive. Unreliable as hell, but always qualifying in the middle of the pack, a couple of seconds off the pace. The same for Toyota less the unreliability. And that was an era of bigger technical freedom, now everyone uses almost the same engines and aerodynamics are even more restricted.

Lotus have money and Mike Gascoyne knows his stuff, but it seems they are still going to be like four seconds off the pace again... :shock:
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Ferrim wrote:I don't understand why the new teams are SO slow. I mean teams which have a bit of a budget, like Lotus or Virgin.

Virgin doesn't have a budget. They're running on an self-imposed budget cap which is way below anything the top teams, or Lotus for that matter, use.
mario

Post by mario »

Paul Hayes wrote:Looks like Virgin at the moment - I don't think the dire performance of HRT is surprising to anybody, but Virgin being this bad must come as something of a shock.

Yes and no - the car looked like a bit of a dog in testing, and only a very small step on from the VR-01 (Hulkenberg watched it going round Barcelona in the last test, and in an interview with Auto Motor Und Sport said that the MVR-02 looked very difficult to drive, with a clear lack of downforce). I had thought that they might squeeze through into qualifying if, as Glock is hoping, the top runners do not push too hard in Q1 to save tyres for Q2 and Q3. And the MVR-02 might have a little more left in the tank if they were, as Glock seemed to hint at, they were a bit conservative during practise, especially with the fuel load; still, they are in a precarious position, and could easily DNQ.

Looking at the situation, and based on the practise times (I've not had a chance to watch the replays of practise just yet), I would be more inclined to suggest Renault as a ROTR. Yes, a touch out of the blue, but bear with me.
If we are going to talk about performance against expectations, then most of the teams have performed as expected (with McLaren arguably performing a bit better than expected). Renault were expected to at least be in the top 10, but Barrichello's Williams and either Perez or Kobayashi have been able to get ahead of them, and push Renault out of the top 10. If both Renaults really do go out in Q2, which is possible, that would be a real disappointment for a team that some thought might be an outside bet for podium finishes this year, and would be expected to score points on a regular basis.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Klon wrote:
Ferrim wrote:I don't understand why the new teams are SO slow. I mean teams which have a bit of a budget, like Lotus or Virgin.

Virgin doesn't have a budget. They're running on an self-imposed budget cap which is way below anything the top teams, or Lotus for that matter, use.

But it's more than what HRT have, and better managed (not that that's very difficult).

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

Captain Hammer wrote:
Bob wrote:Well someone had to!

And that someone is me. It's long been established that this is my baby. Mine!

For that reason, you are now crowned Reject of the Race for Melbourne. Don't do it again.

I don't know why, but I agree. As in, Captain should start the ROTR threads. :P

I'll wait till' the race to vote.
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

I would agree that Virgin looks set to be ROTR. I said that they could be 4 to 5 secs off the pace when in testing, but I was hoping that they would make some ground or hiding a their pace a bit. It looks awful nevertheless. As for Renault, mario, I also agree that they look disappointing but I will wait for qualifying to pass my judgement. They could be going for race set up over there and not top times.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Valrys

Post by Valrys »

I nominate the 107% rule as well, as there's a very good chance of 4 cars not qualifying, and when two of them are slow but not that slow, and the other two were only assembled at the last minute on a pocket money budget, that's not very helpful towards future improvement.
patrick

Post by patrick »

Going to throw Maldonado into the ring. He looks slow and cautious, which is understandable, but I think he's going to be miles off rubens' pace and then do stupid things in the race to try and make up.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

HRT, no contest. One can't get enough of his antics :lol:
Waris

Post by Waris »

I predict Virgin and Hispania will be rejectful, so no surprises there.
Di Resta and/or Maldonado may also be a little disappointing, but I don't think they will be as laughably bad.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

On early indications I'm going with Virgin, though I'll hold off making the final nomination until Q1 is done at least. As it's been said, most of us are expecting a double DNQ from Hispania. Virgin doing the same would be just plain embarrassing, and with the current rules it's not as if they can make changes to the car until this time next year.

As it stands (and it's way too early in the season to be making this kind of prediction, but still...) I'd only be prepared to hand Reject Of The Year to Hispania if they put in a performance that's worthy of Coloni, EuroBrun or Andrea Moda, with Narain Karthikeyan failing to make the cut at every race and Tonio Liuzzi getting into no more then two or three races, because that would surpass any expectations of their obvious rejectfulness.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Valrys wrote:I nominate the 107% rule as well, as there's a very good chance of 4 cars not qualifying, and when two of them are slow but not that slow

It's over six seconds off the Q1 pace not that slow?

I believe Virgin will make it and if they can't then they don't deserve to start.

FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Phoenix wrote:HRT, no contest. One can't get enough of his antics :lol:

Basically what you said.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

HRT and Virgin. Virgin just not enough to qualify and HRT doesn't even come CLOSE.
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Bob

Post by Bob »

Virgin are probably more rejectworthy than HRT. HRT is an underfunded, understaffed and underprepared outfit that we love purely for comedy value, it's sort of expected. Virgin are actually serious and managing to humiliate themselves, there's no excuse really, they've had longer than a lot of teams to test and prepare.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Bob wrote:Virgin are probably more rejectworthy than HRT. HRT is an underfunded, understaffed and underprepared outfit that we love purely for comedy value, it's sort of expected. Virgin are actually serious and managing to humiliate themselves, there's no excuse really, they've had longer than a lot of teams to test and prepare.

Good point!
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

I nominate 107% rule too (or jean todt as well). All efforts for racings with more cars in last years was thrown in the trash.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Ferrim wrote:
Valrys wrote:I nominate the 107% rule as well, as there's a very good chance of 4 cars not qualifying, and when two of them are slow but not that slow

It's over six seconds off the Q1 pace not that slow?

It's been quite a few years since we had any significant field spread, but back in the mid-1990s, 6 seconds might be a normal field spread (Williamses back to Pacifics/Fortis, excluding Lolas!)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Hysterically Rubbish Team, for bringing back memories of true rejects.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

107% Rule for giving us a grid of 18 cars -- making F1's car count dip so low that it matched that of Champ Car post-2003.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Obviously HRT have barely got a lap in yet, but Virgin have been massively disappointing. They seem to be falling further behind and I don't think their CFD approach will ever work. It's also surprised me that so far D'Ambrosio has been faster than Glock in both practice sessions.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
McDuck

Post by McDuck »

ROTR = Virgin Racing/Wirth Engineering, because wind tunnels are kind of important.
The USA is three meals away from chaos.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Klon wrote:You were too late.

Actually, Bob was too quick. It was decided last year that these threads should not be created until after FP3 at the earliest, the reason being to prevent a useless thread cluttering the forum and to allow the drivers time to actually do something Reject-worthy. Judging by the time-stamps on Bob's post, he created it within two minutes of Chandhok crashing, which meant he made it in the first five minutes of FP1. Which is way too soon.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Captain Hammer wrote:
Klon wrote:You were too late.

Actually, Bob was too quick. It was decided last year that these threads should not be created until after FP3 at the earliest, the reason being to prevent a useless thread cluttering the forum and to allow the drivers time to actually do something Reject-worthy. Judging by the time-stamps on Bob's post, he created it within two minutes of Chandhok crashing, which meant he made it in the first five minutes of FP1. Which is way too soon.

But you have to admit that Chandhok crashing in what was effectively the first minute of the season is pretty rejectworthy.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Cynon wrote:107% Rule for giving us a grid of 18 cars -- making F1's car count dip so low that it matched that of Champ Car post-2003.

18? If you lack two fingers and are counting with them, you might get that number :P
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Nine teams? I can't remember the last time we had that many teams in F1 trying to compete :S
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

If, as is rumoured, drivers over 107% will be allowed to start anyway, I nominate the 107% rule, for how quickly it was removed.

If the rumours are not true, I nominate the 107% rule, for depriving us of the chance to see the true glory of the Hispanias!
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

David Coulthard, for shamefully beaching his car in the turn 4 gravel trap in a celebrity race, and also for his excuse:
David Coulthard wrote:Well, I saw there were a lot of fans sittig there, so I thought I'd excite the crowd a little bit.

Or something like that. :P
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

NICK HEIDFELD
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

I change my mind to Nick Heidfeld. Virgin actually qualifyed, HRT had 11 laps and only 2 secs off D'Ambrosio(!) and Petrov was third...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.