090816 Luca Badoer Comeback Edition

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
Kuwashima
F1 Rejects Founder

090816 Luca Badoer Comeback Edition

Post by Kuwashima »

Dear all,

Well - it was a bad idea, but we did it anyway, and got carried away in the process!! But we don't regret a minute of it, and those of you with strong stomachs for reject-worship will revel in (and make it all the way though) the latest F1 Rejects podcast.

With several audio clips, the reappearance of Margie Lane, and some of your own kind words of support for Luca, we think the upcoming landmark day in Formula One history has been suitably talked up!

Hope you enjoy, and go Luca!

Jamie (and Enoch)
SennaStraight

Re: 090816 Luca Badoer Comeback Edition

Post by SennaStraight »

great podcast guys, a nostalgic trip back down the years - I can't wait for next weekend
Murray - "First man out is Marques in the Arrows. Of course he's going out early to generate some media interest"
Martin - "I'm sure he would generate some interest if he went out in the Arrows because Marques drives for Minardi"
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

That's the first podcast of yours I've ever listened to (I know, shame on me), and it was fantastic. Very well put together guys, and very witty. I'm definitely in the 'for' camp though. I think you chose some very apt commentary clips too, and I think Martin Brundle could very well end up having to revise his opinion of Badoer's racing skills after Valencia.

Just a few things I noted while listening:

You didn't mention that the twenty-sixth car on the grid being a non-qualifier in 1993 was rescinded from the German Grand Prix onwards, but Badoer was still generally faster than Alboreto regardless, so it's not a major issue.

There were twenty-four starters at Hungary in 1995, but twenty-six in Argentina, where Badoer qualified thirteenth, and he actually wasn't responsible for the first lap collision on his own, there were lots of separate incidents.

The Mugen Honda engine was meant to go to Minardi in 1995 not 1996, I think the Inoue deal was purely for financial reasons, but his sponsor withdrew, meaning Fisichella got the seat.

The Arrows was arguably the worst car in 1999, as it was slower than the Minardi in the second half of the year, and had an appalling reliability record.

I had no idea Badoer appeared at the Winter Olympic Games driving the Ferrari. At least he can say he has got one record at Ferrari that Schumacher doesn't have :D .
My favourite teams: Minardi, Forti, Osella

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Also, the other pronunciation of Badoer might have helped that poem along... y'know, the pronunciation that rhymes with all the words at the ends of the lines... ;)

Excellent work, though. I've been waiting 10 years for this F1 moment, and I don't think I've ever been more excited before a race in all my 13 years of GP viewing. A tailor-made podcast helped raise the excitement levels! Very nicely done!
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Bad idea? Nonsense. It was one of the best podcasts in yonks, because it featured Jamie and Enoch with the enthusiastic ramble that somehow segwayed into everything and included many rejects. :D

Brilliant podcast. My change in avatar didn't get a mention, but like a hopeful back of the grid driver, I will take the anonymity and work on a higher achievement. Perhaps take out the leader when he comes to lap me, or to charge my SUPER AGURI into someone's sidepod on the first lap, or to wiggle my car for no reason, perhaps get left arm cramps on a track where the right arm takes a more severe beating, or perhaps to finally get that fourth place without the gearbox going south or having a Ferrari run into the back of me.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Kuwashima
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by Kuwashima »

fjackdaw wrote:Also, the other pronunciation of Badoer might have helped that poem along... y'know, the pronunciation that rhymes with all the words at the ends of the lines... ;)

Now, where would the fun have been in that!??
Kuwashima
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by Kuwashima »

Irisado wrote:The Mugen Honda engine was meant to go to Minardi in 1995 not 1996, I think the Inoue deal was purely for financial reasons, but his sponsor withdrew, meaning Fisichella got the seat.

The Arrows was arguably the worst car in 1999, as it was slower than the Minardi in the second half of the year, and had an appalling reliability record.

1. You're right - our bad. Inoue's sponsors pulled out at the last minute. Reputedly it was Unimat. We should have read our own profile of Taki.

2. That's arguable... I mean points-wise the BAR was worse than both of them. A little poetic license in talking up the achievement of putting that crapola Minardi into 4th place is perfectly acceptable I think!!
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

I just thought of something.

Perhaps, if Luca Badoer breaks out of reject status, turn his Reject profile into a Centrale article so everyone here can preserve the Lucamania.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Cynon wrote:I just thought of something.

Perhaps, if Luca Badoer breaks out of reject status, turn his Reject profile into a Centrale article so everyone here can preserve the Lucamania.

Oh yeah, absolutely.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
lostpin

Post by lostpin »

Well, I didn't know much about Badoer's racing past, but from what I've heard on the podcast he should have been at least a midfield car resident. How come did he ended up in the worst teams on the grid? Or perhaps the F1 driving market was so competetive at the time so it was impossible for him to get by...
An animator that happens to love racing... :)
http://lostpin.net
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

I uploaded the podcast to my MP3 and went for a walk, yesterday afternoon. Found myself on the High Street in Canterbury, surrounded by people, laughing almost continuously. Got a few reproaching stares... :lol:

Best part of the podcast: the American commentator of the Winter Olympics. Truly rejectworthy, that gentleman. Didn't know more than what was written in the press release in front of him, and couldn't care less.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

Kuwashima wrote:2. That's arguable... I mean points-wise the BAR was worse than both of them. A little poetic license in talking up the achievement of putting that crapola Minardi into 4th place is perfectly acceptable I think!!

I agree it's contestable, and I did like your poetic license :) .

I actually do think BAR was the worst team of 1999 anyway, and had 'Reject of the Year' been around in 1999, there is no doubt that they would have won that accolade by miles, a prize I would have loved to present to their board myself :) .

CarlosFerreira wrote:Best part of the podcast: the American commentator of the Winter Olympics. Truly rejectworthy, that gentleman. Didn't know more than what was written in the press release in front of him, and couldn't care less.

I absolutely agree, and his Italian pronunciation was the worst I've ever heard. Did he even bother to rehearse? It didn't sound like it to me.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Irisado wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:Best part of the podcast: the American commentator of the Winter Olympics. Truly rejectworthy, that gentleman. Didn't know more than what was written in the press release in front of him, and couldn't care less.

I absolutely agree, and his Italian pronunciation was the worst I've ever heard. Did he even bother to rehearse? It didn't sound like it to me.

To me he sounded like he was going off the American pronounciation of Jaguar - which, as I don't think I need to point out but will anyway, isn't even spelt the same.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:To me he sounded like he was going off the American pronounciation of Jaguar - which, as I don't think I need to point out but will anyway, isn't even spelt the same.
And is incorrect anyway. If you needed anymore proof F1 isn't on the typical Americans' radar, there it was.
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

Great podcast. I was surprised to hear that he defeated both Barrichello and Coulthard at F3000. It should have been him going to Jordan and Barrichello going to Scuderia Italia.
I particularly loved the part about Fisichella. It will surely be a special moment if Fisichella gets lapped by Badoer at Valencia :D
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
Irisado wrote:

To me he sounded like he was going off the American pronounciation of Jaguar - which, as I don't think I need to point out but will anyway, isn't even spelt the same.

It's "spelled", btw... and Jaguar is spelled correctly.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

thehemogoblin wrote:
It's "spelled", btw... and Jaguar is spelled correctly.

And sorry if I seem like a giant dick, but I'm a copy editor. I can't help myself.
howardmb

Post by howardmb »

Thank you for the complete run down on Luca. Perhaps I am under estimating him a little. Still, I'm in good company as even Niki Lauda panned the choice as reported on Formula1.net:

===============
"But the decision to replace Massa with Badoer has drawn fire from ex-Ferrari man Niki Lauda. “Ferrari will have only one car in Spain: for Kimi Raikkonen. Badoer will barely exist. He will not be good enough,” the Austrian said.
===============

The only item I would have liked a little more explanation on was Luca's reputation as a moving chicane. He is listed, in the write-up you guys have on the web site (under 'What Mirror's') as being a potential 4th on the all time list and I wondered what that was all about. Did he upset other drivers? Any fist fights? Just curious.

Thank you both for the time and effort you put into this, and all the other podcasts. I am a return customer who has even bought some items from your store and I always look forward to the 'words-o-wisdom'. I will be rooting for Luca come the race, even though in my mind he's a lost cause.

Mark
Snoozey2

Post by Snoozey2 »

:evil:
Last edited by Snoozey2 on 17 Jan 2010, 17:41, edited 1 time in total.
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

thehemogoblin wrote:It's "spelled", btw...

spelt = British English
spelled = American English.

The rights and wrongs of this, therefore depend entirely on which form of English an individual is using ;) .

I think we can agree though that whichever form of pronunciation the commentator was using though, it wasn't a good one.

Kuwashima
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by Kuwashima »

Snoozey2 wrote:I'm deeply ashamed to admit that the offending party is in fact a hammy senile Canadian who worked on our national coverage of the Olympics. His name is Brian Williams. :oops:

Really? Was that Brian Williams?? I didn't recognise him. He's great - especially funny for a newsman - I see him on the Daily Show often.
Kuwashima
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by Kuwashima »

thehemogoblin wrote:And sorry if I seem like a giant dick, but I'm a copy editor. I can't help myself.

No, no, nothing to be ashamed of THG. I'm a grammar nazi also. I am particularly happy that most of the posts in this entire forum seem to be from people who can actually construct a complete sentence!

But, you really should be aware of the differences between British English and American English. After all, next you'll be correcting my spelling of "Americanised".
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I especially loved the Canadian coverage clip of GMILBP. The Torino olympic coverage was from the CBC, the commentator I believe was Brian Williams who, clearly, does not speak much Italian judging by his BADoer, and the worst pronunciation of Ferrari...ever.
"Grosjean has a great desire to turn around and look at the corner he's just gone through, too many times per lap or per session, he's always spinning that Renault"
Kuwashima
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by Kuwashima »

Kuwashima wrote:
Snoozey2 wrote:I'm deeply ashamed to admit that the offending party is in fact a hammy senile Canadian who worked on our national coverage of the Olympics. His name is Brian Williams. :oops:

Really? Was that Brian Williams?? I didn't recognise him. He's great - especially funny for a newsman - I see him on the Daily Show often.

Aha!

They are different Brian Williamses. Or Brians Williams. Or whatever the plural of Brian Williams is.

After all Brian Williams is probably a common name!
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Kuwashima wrote:
thehemogoblin wrote:And sorry if I seem like a giant dick, but I'm a copy editor. I can't help myself.

No, no, nothing to be ashamed of THG. I'm a grammar nazi also. I am particularly happy that most of the posts in this entire forum seem to be from people who can actually construct a complete sentence!

But, you really should be aware of the differences between British English and American English. After all, next you'll be correcting my spelling of "Americanised".

Ah, the gr(e/a)y area of English... god damn foreigners, get off my internets!! (totally kidding)
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

that Brian Williams

Not that Brian Williams

And on the topic of Canadian, can someone re-write the Tragically Hip lyric from 38 Years Old to something like "He's 38 years old, never scored a point" in support (?) of Luca's venture?
"Grosjean has a great desire to turn around and look at the corner he's just gone through, too many times per lap or per session, he's always spinning that Renault"
danardif1

Post by danardif1 »

I'm just glad my appaling 'poem' was read out, I thought the other ones i saw on the forum were too serious so I thought in true reject style I'd make a concerted effort to be truly awful, and it paid off!!

BTW Enoch and Jamie, Reading is pronounced 'Redding' not 'Reeding', although for non-UK residents it isn't obvious at all....

Thanks for including me in the podcast though!!
KAMUI KOBAYASHI

After some more irreverant F1 debate? Join http://www.f1-nation.ning.com!
SennaStraight

Post by SennaStraight »

With Spa coming just a week after Valencia, there is a good chance that Luca will be in for that one two which means he has even more chance of avoiding rejectom! (and perhaps more chances after that....)
Murray - "First man out is Marques in the Arrows. Of course he's going out early to generate some media interest"
Martin - "I'm sure he would generate some interest if he went out in the Arrows because Marques drives for Minardi"
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

danardif1 wrote:I'm just glad my appaling 'poem' was read out, I thought the other ones i saw on the forum were too serious so I thought in true reject style I'd make a concerted effort to be truly awful, and it paid off!!

BTW Enoch and Jamie, Reading is pronounced 'Redding' not 'Reeding', although for non-UK residents it isn't obvious at all....

Thanks for including me in the podcast though!!

Reading, Pennsylvania, and the Reading Railroad square on the Monopoly board both apply to Americans... not that we get it, for the most part.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

“I am very motivated to make the most of this opportunity, even if I know I am facing a tough challenge, especially during the first couple of days in Valencia,” said Luca. “It will effectively be a test session for me, but I will be trying my best to secure a good result. I have to say, my first thoughts when I take to the track will be for Felipe, because I got a real fright when I saw his accident. I am delighted that he is making a good recovery and I hope he will be back racing as soon as possible. I have to add that I am also thinking of Michael, because having trained with him over the last few weeks, I know how much he wanted to make this comeback and how much effort he was putting into his preparation. Even though his decision has provided me with this great opportunity to race for the Scuderia, I feel sorry for him, because not only are we friends, but I am also an admirer of his. And finally, I repeat how grateful I am to Luca di Montezemolo and Stefano Domenicali for giving me the chance to make my childhood dream come true.”
Waris

Post by Waris »

Kuwashima wrote:

And you would be using Australian English, I suppose? How exactly does that work, spelling-wise? I seem to recall they spell 'gaol' instead of 'jail'. But I don't know about any other peculiarities.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Waris wrote:And you would be using Australian English, I suppose? How exactly does that work, spelling-wise? I seem to recall they spell 'gaol' instead of 'jail'. But I don't know about any other peculiarities.

Here is an example which I remember from our English school book, about a soldier and a nurse in a war hospital:

Soldier: Did I come here to die?
Australian nurse: No, you came here yesterdie, love!
:lol:
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Kuwashima
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by Kuwashima »

Waris wrote:And you would be using Australian English, I suppose? How exactly does that work, spelling-wise? I seem to recall they spell 'gaol' instead of 'jail'. But I don't know about any other peculiarities.

Generally the British spelling.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_English
And we'll try to use a few more of these in the podcast:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian ... vocabulary

Here is an example which I remember from our English school book, about a soldier and a nurse in a war hospital

Hey now!! We don't have any accent here. It's the rest of you around the world that have accents!! :lol:
Gary Shavit

Post by Gary Shavit »

Great podcast. One of the best of all times. And Luca has proven already that he really can be faster than everyone else. True, only in the pit lane so far and not ON the track, but just wait until the race, when it really counts.
Waris

Post by Waris »

Cynon wrote:I just thought of something.

Lucamania! Now that's a reject-worthy equivalent to Lewisteria! :lol:
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
minrdi

Post by minrdi »

howardmb wrote: The only item I would have liked a little more explanation on was Luca's reputation as a moving chicane. He is listed, in the write-up you guys have on the web site (under 'What Mirror's') as being a potential 4th on the all time list and I wondered what that was all about. Did he upset other drivers? Any fist fights? Just curious.

Oh yes, he was dreadful when being lapped. I recall the 1995 San Marino GP where he got in the way of several leaders. Don't forget the 1996 Monaco GP where he took out Jacques Villeneuve at Mirebeau in a shocking piece of driving. The 1999 San Marino GP was another (he held up DC in his chase of Schumacher, although not to the extent that Pani and Fisichella did), along with the Canadian GP where he got penalised for baulking the leaders again.

I don't know if I'd put him at No.4 on the "What mirrors?" list in the Centrale page though, because I reckon Eddie Irvine (particularly in his formative years) and Mark Blundell were also lacking any semblance of manners when being lapped.

------

A wonderful podcast, Jamie and Enoch. Thoroughly enjoyable to listen to, I enjoyed every minute of it!
"The advantage of jumping the start is that you can get away a lot quicker." - Murray Walker

Editor, Richard's F1
Visit my F1 website at http://richardsf1.com
Exclusive news, reviews and interviews for F1, IndyCar, V8 Supercars and the WTCC
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Pierluigi Martini was quite bad in that too. But it was also a question of rules regarding lapping. Nowadays you have to give way if you are ~1 second ahead of another car who is lapping.
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

minrdi wrote:Oh yes, he was dreadful when being lapped. I recall the 1995 San Marino GP where he got in the way of several leaders. Don't forget the 1996 Monaco GP where he took out Jacques Villeneuve at Mirebeau in a shocking piece of driving.

Both Martini and Badoer were equally bad at the 1995 San Marino Grand Prix. As for taking out Villeneuve in Monaco 1996, I don't think that was as a bad a piece of driving has been suggested. He had moved over to let Salo and Hakkinen through, and just didn't see Villeneuve following behind them. I thought he had done rather well not to crash the Forti in the wet myself, considering how badly it was handling.

The 1999 San Marino GP was another (he held up DC in his chase of Schumacher, although not to the extent that Pani and Fisichella did),

Don't remember that happening, although I remember Fisichella and Panis blocking.

along with the Canadian GP where he got penalised for baulking the leaders again.

He was battling with Panis over a position, so this wasn't as bad as his antics at the San Marino Grand Prix of 1995, and Panis was penalised too.

He was very well behaved at Valencia though, much to the disappointment of some I'm sure ;) .

Janmarcuus

Post by Janmarcuus »

Hi guys, I'm new on this forum. I'm italian, 17 years old, and I wanted to say "thank you" for this superb website and nice forum. I'm a Webber lover just such as your podcast speakers XD and I love Luca Badoer, too, so it's always a pleasure to listen to you, and to read about the Rejects in your site. And you're funny as hell, too! Let's hope Luca will get into the points at Spa, maybe pushing Button off the point scoring zone while Webber wins the race ahead of Vettel! XD
To finish first, first you have to finish
badoerfan

Post by badoerfan »

Loved the podcast (obviously!). One question though: what was the deal with the whole '26th place not qualifying in 1993'? Why did the FIA do that?