Renault to become Group Lotus-Renault

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
TomWazzleshaw

Renault to become Group Lotus-Renault

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Ed24

Re: Renault to become Group Lotus-Renault

Post by Ed24 »

I can't think of many positives out of this, unfortunately.

Its disappointing that the Lotuses couldn't sort it out and link up Team Lotus and Group Lotus again... Now it looks like there will be further legal disputes.

Also, its disappointing that we've seen the last of the Renault yellow/black livery - probably my favourite in F1 for quite a few years. With the Lotus Racing green/gold livery gone as well, we've probably lost two of the best liveries.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Gordon Bennett. (i.e. :o ). Right, they need Senna as a second driver.

What Tony Fernandes needs to do now is get his Lotuses in gold, red and white and sign Josh Hill onto a Driver Development Programme to eventually get him into that car.

And those red wing endplates just look wrong.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

From Autosport.com

"The announcement of Group Lotus' plans for 2011 comes despite Tony Fernandes pushing on with his plans to race as Team Lotus next year - with his outfit now also having Renault engines and set to run in black and gold colours."

Wait what? I didn't actually think it could get more confusing, but it has.

in case of confusion break glass,
Message me on Discord.
patrick

Post by patrick »

This is bathplug ridiculous. something has to give or we will have four gold and black liveried lotus renault lotuses or whatever on the grid.
Reject of the off-season: all forms of Lotus
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Ed24 wrote:Its disappointing that the Lotuses couldn't sort it out and link up Team Lotus and Group Lotus again

+1

Ed24 wrote:Also, its disappointing that we've seen the last of the Renault yellow/black livery - probably my favourite in F1 for quite a few years.

+1 (and one of the most photogenic too, especially under lights)

dr-baker wrote:And those red wing endplates just look wrong.

+1

patrick wrote:This is bathplug ridiculous. something has to give or we will have four gold and black liveried lotus renault lotuses or whatever on the grid.

+1
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

At this rate you'll be able to outsource all your F1 Rejects work to us Enoch :lol:

Back on topic and I totally agree with everything that's been said so far. But it does raise the question of a possible works Proton effort in the future... that should be interesting.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

I can only imagine next year's TV broadcasts when one of these cars retires from a race:

"Is it Kubica? Trulli? Kovalainen? (insert second Renault driver here)?"

Not to mention the problems with commenting the teams in general, be it F1 broadcasts, the news, or internet forums. Or the GPM2 2011 Mod!
Last edited by Nuppiz on 08 Dec 2010, 09:48, edited 2 times in total.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

Facepalm, facepalm, facepalm. It seems that the only way we'll be able to tell them apart is one of them will be fighting Toro Rossos and the other fighting Mercedes(you'd hope, anyway). Although, to be honest, I actually quite like that livery...
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Also, I'm surprised that HP isn't on the car - maybe Sutil is bringing Medion to the team?
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
patrick

Post by patrick »

This is a shame for the Renault team as well - without Briatore, they emerged this year as a great team and got on with the job - and now GenII gets them caught up in this mess. How do we know GL/Proton won't start meddling?

The lack of certain sponsors on the picture may have little or no bearing on driver pairings next year - it may simply be they are yet to re-sign some sponsors, or even try and squeeze more money out of the Russians.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Is it worth having the image itself here on this thread?

EDIT: Lotus plans receive Proton support. Well, d'uh.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
patrick

Post by patrick »

Tony Fernandes wrote:Dany bahr has done us a favour. Never felt better about our future and Team Lotus. Looks like the trying to hijak our black and gold idea.

http://twitter.com/tonyfernandes/status ... 5762968577
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I want to ask: are we all on Tony Fernandes's side here? I just happen to be biased towards him and he and I had been to the same boarding school, and in the same boarding house (albeit 14 years apart).
MCard LOLA
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

They must have reached some sort of deal with Fernandez's outfit, surely? We can't have two Lotus teams running about!
Glennerz

Post by Glennerz »

Tony Fernandes wrote:Dany bahr has done us a favour. Never felt better about our future and Team Lotus. Looks like the trying to hijak our black and gold idea.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but would the official Group Lotus not have more of a right to the black/gold livery (and indeed the Lotus name itself) than a team who dodgily and unconvincingly claim ownership solely through a Proton investment?
"Those (MasterCard-Lola) laps don't have a time, they've got an expiry date" -Unknown, 1997 Australian Grand Prix
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

Glennerz wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong here but would the official Group Lotus not have more of a right to the black/gold livery (and indeed the Lotus name itself) than a team who dodgily and unconvincingly claim ownership solely through a Proton investment?

From what I understand, Group Lotus never owned Team Lotus, which was sold to David Hunt when the team went under. Since Fernandes bought it from Hunt, he has the right to use the name in F1 if he so pleases, as well as any livery he sees fit. Group Lotus and Proton are just trying to say "bathplug off", make a big fuss about it, and making the off season slightly more interesting.
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Aside from the controversy, and aside from the livery it replaces, I think it's a gorgeous-looking thing.
patrick

Post by patrick »

Glennerz wrote:

To be frank, both claims are as dodgy as the legal ground it stands on. There also seems to be a lot of Malaysian politics involved.
Neither side is really Chapman's Lotus anymore - Group Lotus is a bloated, ridiculous shadow of its former self and it's plans will probably just bankrupt it further.
Team Lotus/Fernandes also have little claim to the Lotus name, but they have approached this year in a very good manner, and they won the fans hearts and a lot of the paddock.

Nobody likes seeing a great name dragged around like this, and I don't think either of them should use it. But I'd rather Fernandes and his team use it. I do not think Bahar and GL should.
mario

Post by mario »

dr-baker wrote:I want to ask: are we all on Tony Fernandes's side here? I just happen to be biased towards him and he and I had been to the same boarding school, and in the same boarding house (albeit 14 years apart).

So far, it looks like it - as far as I see it, Fernandes has the legal right to use the Team Lotus name after acquiring them from David Hunt, has already notified the FIA about his intention to use the Team Lotus name, and had already announced his intention to use the black and gold livery that Group Lotus have suddenly decided to replicate.

Paul Hayes wrote:They must have reached some sort of deal with Fernandez's outfit, surely? We can't have two Lotus teams running about!

Evidently not - where it gets more confusing is that what has been signed is a title sponsorship agreement, whereby Renault have sold their stake in the team to concentrate on just supplying engines (though why you'd want to sell your stake in the team at a time when it is on the up is another matter). So, we have the strange situation whereby the team name includes the Group Lotus name, but in the constructors championship, they are still listed as just Renault F1 (because to change the constructors name would require either the other teams permission, or risk forfeiting Renault's allocated revenue from FOM).

The thing is, I can't imagine that Bernie is looking on at all of these antics favourably - yes, it is keeping the sport in the headlines during the off season, but not in a good way, and I can't see how it will help him attract sponsorship. If anything, it might cost him sponsorship, because I can't imagine that sponsors will be rushing to either team when there is a lot of confusion about what is going on, and the risk that you might end up backing the losing side in this dispute. I'm sure that behind the scenes, he must be trying to thrash a deal out between the two sides, if only for the stability of the sport (and therefore his revenue).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Glennerz

Post by Glennerz »

the Masked Lapwing wrote:From what I understand, Group Lotus never owned Team Lotus, which was sold to David Hunt when the team went under. Since Fernandes bought it from Hunt, he has the right to use the name in F1 if he so pleases, as well as any livery he sees fit. Group Lotus and Proton are just trying to say "bathplug off", make a big fuss about it, and making the off season slightly more interesting.

I see. Then I guess we will indeed see a battle of the black/gold liveries, and Lotus Renault Grand Prix (nope, I'm not calling them that all year - we need abbreviations, now) have already put themselves on the back foot with the Total red wing plates/ mirrors - hideous, worse than the 2010 Ferrari's white Santander wings!
"Those (MasterCard-Lola) laps don't have a time, they've got an expiry date" -Unknown, 1997 Australian Grand Prix
patrick

Post by patrick »

Let's not forget the real winners here: JPS and Imperial Tobacco. They must be laughing all the way to the bank :P
patrick

Post by patrick »

@rf1paddockpass wrote:As promised, a world exclusive for you: the first real photo of the 2011 livery. Can’t wait to see it in action: http://yfrog.com/gyg50j

I thought they might do this. Things are getting dirty!
Glennerz

Post by Glennerz »

I haven't decided yet whether I love the livery as a whole, or hate it with a passion that burns with the fury of a thousand suns.

Your move, Fernandes.
patrick

Post by patrick »

Glennerz wrote:I haven't decided yet whether I love the livery as a whole, or hate it with a passion that burns with the fury of a thousand suns.

Your move, Fernandes.

I don't like it. It just doesn't fit with modern F1 cars - they aren't as angular and boxy as the ones that previously held this livery.
But indeed, I don't think Fernandes was quite expecting this.
madcat

Post by madcat »

I'm just dreading Leggard's comments/explanations/waffling everytime a team comes near the other.

From Lotus, from Lotus, from Lotus, from Lotus...but, but, they are not the same team! And they he'll explain it again...

"The long, cold winter nights will just fly by..."
As i looked at my naked body in the mirror, i thought to myself,
"I'm going to get thrown out of Ikea any minute.".
JeanDenisAlcatraz

Post by JeanDenisAlcatraz »

*vomits*

What a ghastly livery. Colin Chapman must be spinning in his grave - it's all an affront to Lotus' legacy.
BigG80

Post by BigG80 »

If TheTeamFormerlyKnownAsToleman no longer wish to be known as Renault then I feel we have to splice the two team owner names together.

Therefore Proton +Genii = Protogenii which mutates to Progeny.

The definition of Progeny is a genetic descendant or offspring or an academic progeny.

I don't think that fits.

I'm still going to call the 1Malaysia F1 team Lotus.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Renault - Name it Lotus Renault GP, black-gold? Okay, but then...
Lotus - Name it PROTON Lotus, and make it light blue and white!
---> Image

What do you guys think of this?

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Shizuka wrote:Renault - Name it Lotus Renault GP, black-gold? Okay, but then...
Lotus - Name it PROTON Lotus, and make it light blue and white!
---> Image

What do you guys think of this?

Looks better than the monstrosity they presented today.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Bob

Post by Bob »

This is stupid, Group Lotus have never competed in F1, only Team Lotus have. Both always were two separate entities and as far as I can see, both current teams have the legal right to use the Lotus name, this can only end badly.
mario

Post by mario »

Well, it seems that the reaction to the decision by Group Lotus/Proton has been pretty much universally condemned, with complaints about bullying tactics and a money grabbing attitude. And to be honest, Bahar isn't handling the situation brilliantly - I am listening to his interview with Radio Norfolk, where he went on about the Lotus brand and the commercial benefits of motorsport for Group Lotus, before then going on about how Group Lotus are planning on moving construction of Lotus road cars away from Hethel, and probably to South East Asia, again solely for commercial reasons.

So, for now, it looks as if we are going to have a real mess on our hands until we hear the results of the litigation between Group Lotus/Proton, and Fernandes, as it goes through the UK legal system. Bahar must be pretty desperate to win, because if he fails to do so, this could cost the company quite dearly - not only in terms of damages and potential further legal action (as some have suggested that Fernandes could then sue Group Lotus for "passing off", where one company pretends that they, or their products, are made by another company), but in terms of adverse publicity. I can only hope that either the court case is resolved very quickly (which, based on precedence, you would expect Group Lotus to come off the worst), or somebody like Bernie can get the heads of both organisations together and thrash out an agreement.

On another note, there is an interesting aside - can somebody confirm if the rights that David Hunt has to the Team Lotus name were international, or only for a company registered and operating from the UK? The reason that I'm asking is because a commentator on Joe Saward's blog has provided a very useful link to the United States Patent and Trademark Office. It seems that Group Lotus were not just trying to lodge an application with the United Kingdom Intellectual Property Office, where both Lotus Racing and Group Lotus have filed claims to the Team Lotus name.

A quick search shows that Group Lotus have made two applications in the US - the first, on April 27th 2010, was a claim to the Team Lotus name, and requesting the right to use the name for, amongst other things, clothing, assorted memorabilia and merchandising, and, more importantly, vehicles and vehicle equipment. The second application was on October 27th, and that was for the Team Lotus logo (the famous CABC symbol), again for sundry merchandising and vehicular application. Although I cannot link to the documents directly, you can access the electronic trademark search facility through here http://tess2.uspto.gov/ (look for the link marked TESS on the left hand side).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

If this were nothing to do with the Lotus history, would people still think it was a ghastly livery and be vomiting, or are people projecting their opinions of the controversy onto their appreciation of the aesthetic? At worst, it's just a black and gold racing car; personally I think it looks lovely.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Go home, Proton. You're not a bunch of plucky, hard-trying guys trying to revive a famous name, you're just a bunch of greedy faceless suits looking to get rich off of said famous name. You also ruined the best livery in Formula 1. Go home, Proton.

And I think the livery is alright, but knowing what it has replaced and what it stands for makes me very, very angry.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Jordan192

Post by Jordan192 »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:Go home, Proton. You're not a bunch of plucky, hard-trying guys trying to revive a famous name, you're just a bunch of greedy faceless suits looking to get rich off of said famous name. You also ruined the best livery in Formula 1. Go home, Proton.

And I think the livery is alright, but knowing what it has replaced and what it stands for makes me very, very angry.

I don't want to just pad the thread with "+1" and so on, but I agree with this statement SO HARD.
I coined the term "Lewisteria". The irony is that I actually quite like Lewis Hamilton.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

The UK court case as to whether David Hunt had the right to sell the Team Lotus name to Fernandes has still to be resolved with, as I understand it, no date yet set down. "Next year" is all that has been said. With the Xmas recess it will run very close to the 1st race I fear, if not exceed that date.
After that it becomes a matter for the Malaysian courts to decide who owns what. (Depending on the outcome). Fernandes is, I believe, a popular figure in Malaysia & the behaviour of Group/Proton may not be considered that of a reasonable party.
On another front, Proton are currently struggling & where they're going throwing money into F1 is not really clear.
I have seen mentioned the possibility of a merger with Perodua who cannot produce enough of their cars at present & Proton have spare capacity.
This will be sorted before the season start. BCE will see to that. The situation as it stands is unacceptable.
Personally. I will side with Fernandes. I hope he continues as Team Lotus, preferably in Green & Yellow. Never a fan of the JPS livery (except when Elio & Ayrton were teammates).

Can't do a post without being facetious so get Ted Toleman back from retirement in the Phillipines to run Toleman-Perodua-Renault.....put Bruno in the car....
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Glennerz

Post by Glennerz »

Yes please. Lord knows we need some variety and originality in livery designs, seeing the overpowering mass of silver/white/blue on the modern grid bores me even before the race starts. That's why last year's Renault was such a breath of fresh air, and colour schemes of its ilk in terms of creativity are few and far between these days. I will not be fully satisfied until we see a bright green car, a pink car (go for it McLaren, silver belongs to Mercedes now) and a rainbow tie-dye/glitter/mirrorball beast on the line-up!!!
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

The whole affair reminds me of a Mitchell and Webb sketch like so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otOE25ew ... re=related

I mean even they couldn't screw it up right?

All though rather then it ending in a hilarious misunderstanding I can only sense the doom of the lotus name for both sides.
Message me on Discord.
mediocre

Post by mediocre »

Glennerz wrote:Image

What's that? Proton entering WTCC?
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

mediocre wrote:
Glennerz wrote:Image

What's that? Proton entering WTCC?