What Tracks Will Get the Boot?

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
madmark1974

Re: What Tracks Will Get the Boot?

Post by madmark1974 »

Wizzie wrote:Barcelona beyond 2012 in doubt

Discuss.

Ok then ...

I think, like most F1 fans that seeing the back of Barcelona wouldn't be a bad thing as the race is virtually always incredibly dull due to no overtaking, they've had a 20 year run
at the track, and the only thing most people remember is Mansell vs Senna's sparks-flying dice IN A STRAIGHT LINE 20 years ago!

So, where to instead? I guess there HAS to be a Spanish GP, so the only options currently available are Jerez and Valencia harbour? As I recall, Valencia is signed up for a few years yet
(2014?), so maybe make that the Spanish round for a few years and possibly upgrade Jerez or the 'proper' Valencia circuit (where MotoGP go) to switch there once Valencia harbour is done
with. This would also free up the European GP to go somewhere else.

Having said that, I can't see any better races coming from either of those two tracks, both are tight and twisty with little by way of straights, so would we really be better off without Barcelona?
nome66

Post by nome66 »

this may have been said before but i'll say it again.
Come on FIA, GET YOUR BALLS BACK AND RACE AT JEREZ. DON'T JUST TEST THERE.

...or Montjuic or something.
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

nome66 wrote:this may have been said before but i'll say it again.

...or Montjuic or something.

Unfortunately, as much as I want the circus to return to Jerez, the racing would be just as unspectacular as at Catalunya. The cause, of course, is the fact that they've been testing there as much as they have been at Catalunya, which IMO is the reason why racing in Catalunya is so boring.
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Just build this circuit in South Africa:

And get instant FOREVER status.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

I think the best option is going back to Jerez. Both current tracks serve racing as dull as it can be in Europe (there is a special place for Bahrain in the dull hell). We saw what at the circuit of Catalunya since F1 went there was bad, but Valencia street circuit is much worse. If Jerez is not an option, why don't they make a decent street circuit in Barcelona? That would be nice.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

And, at the risk of repeating myself, why not give fabulous Motorland Aragon a chance?
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

It has a license for F1? I saw in wikipedia that none other than the great Hermann Tilke designed it, so a certain degree of dullness is to be expected! :P
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

P_Friesacher wrote:And, at the risk of repeating myself, why not give fabulous Motorland Aragon a chance?

Because they've said no in the past. Bernie approached them three months before the Korean Grand Prix and asked if they'd be willing to take Korea's place if the circuit wasn't ready. They said no. They also only qualify for an FIA Grade-2 licence, so they'd need some work done to get a Grade-1.

And besides, with all this talk of only-one-race-per-country, why the hell are we about to give Spain a third race? The creation of the European Grand Prix in Valencia to capitalise on the success and popularity of Fernando Alonso has largely failed (probably because he's been useless at home since the race was created). This isn't MotoGP.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Captain Hammer wrote:
P_Friesacher wrote:And, at the risk of repeating myself, why not give fabulous Motorland Aragon a chance?

Because they've said no in the past. Bernie approached them three months before the Korean Grand Prix and asked if they'd be willing to take Korea's place if the circuit wasn't ready. They said no. They also only qualify for an FIA Grade-2 licence, so they'd need some work done to get a Grade-1.

And besides, with all this talk of only-one-race-per-country, why the hell are we about to give Spain a third race? The creation of the European Grand Prix in Valencia to capitalise on the success and popularity of Fernando Alonso has largely failed (probably because he's been useless at home since the race was created). This isn't MotoGP.

We weren't giving Spain a third race. We were scrapping both the existing ones and finding an alternative venue, hence the suggestion of Motorland Aragon...
mario

Post by mario »

Captain Hammer wrote:

Just out of curiosity, where did you hear about Bernie approaching Motorland Aragon as a stand by for the Korean GP? I would not be surprised if Bernie had been asking a number of venues if they would be willing to hold the race if Korea wasn't ready in time, including Motorland Aragon.
However, if Motorland Aragon only holds a Grade 2 licence, why would he have approached them when there are many other circuits in the Iberian Peninsular that hold Grade 1 or Grade 1T licences (such as Jerez, Estoril, Portimao etc.)? Surely it would have made things more complicated than necessary to race there?

And regarding Alonso, his results at the Valencian circuit have been a retirement in 2008 when Nakajima crashed into the back of him, 6th place in 2009 (which, given that the R29 could be charitably described as useless, is actually not that bad a result), and a debatable 8th place following the deployment of the safety car last year. Not stunning results, sure, but given that two years out of three he had to drive uncompetitive cars after Renault botched their designs (due to incorrect data from a miscalibrated wind tunnel), it's not surprising that he didn't do well.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

Sorry if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that Aragon had a Grade 1T licence.
Alianora La Canta

Post by Alianora La Canta »

Same here. Aragon was built partly to attract F1 testing, but it never intended to go for a race due to the financial equations involved (i.e. not great for the organisers), which would explain why it wouldn't have been interested in being Korea's understudy.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

nome66 wrote:this may have been said before but i'll say it again.

WOOHOO! HIGH FIVE!
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Discuss.

PLEEEEEEEASE
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

thehemogoblin wrote:

Discuss.

PLEEEEEEEASE

A Spanish newspaper said Ecclestone was telling Montmeló directives it was Valencia under threat, and in the reverse. Honestly, I don't really care which one will get the boot...
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

How about Navarra for a new Spanish GP?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSJEP8XB5S4

Really like the uphill final turn.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
nome66

Post by nome66 »

or bring back argentina with San Luis.
http://www.gt1world.com/calendar/circuit/san-luis

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Phoenix wrote:
thehemogoblin wrote:

Discuss.

PLEEEEEEEASE

A Spanish newspaper said Ecclestone was telling Montmeló directives it was Valencia under threat, and in the reverse. Honestly, I don't really care which one will get the boot...

Not going to happen. One of Bernie's favourite tactics is to play one circuit off another to get them to do what he wants. He's variously done it to Silverstone, Interlagos and Sepang in the past; odds are that both circuits will up their game and fall in line with his demands.

watka wrote:How about Navarra for a new Spanish GP?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSJEP8XB5S4

That's a monster pit lane.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Typical Mr Ecclestone... Going from the "if we have to leave then we leave Australia" to "As important as Monaco"! :)
mario

Post by mario »

DanielPT wrote:

Typical Mr Ecclestone... Going from the "if we have to leave then we leave Australia" to "As important as Monaco"! :)

Typical, yes, but his sudden change of heart might also be explained by the fact that, a few days earlier, Jean Todt had publicly endorsed the Australian GP, talking at length about the importance of the race for the region and for Formula 1. http://en.espnf1.com/australia/motorspo ... 43275.html
So, it is possible that a few people from the FIA have been in touch with Bernie to encourage him to change his stance...
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

mario wrote:
DanielPT wrote:

Typical, yes, but his sudden change of heart might also be explained by the fact that, a few days earlier, Jean Todt had publicly endorsed the Australian GP, talking at length about the importance of the race for the region and for Formula 1. http://en.espnf1.com/australia/motorspo ... 43275.html
So, it is possible that a few people from the FIA have been in touch with Bernie to encourage him to change his stance...

But I believe it was the Australian government who wanted out because it was too expensive and they could not justify the expenditure to the citizenship?
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

Phoenix wrote:
mario wrote:
DanielPT wrote:Typical Mr Ecclestone... Going from the "if we have to leave then we leave Australia" to "As important as Monaco"! :)

But I believe it was the Australian government who wanted out because it was too expensive and they could not justify the expenditure to the citizenship?

Victorian government actually. State governments must really hate motorsport - the Liberals running for the NSW government want to drop the Sydney 500, only because it'll help them get some votes from a few people around Homebush. Bloody politicians...
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Shell becomes title sponsor for Belgian GP.

Could this mean the GP is safe in the medium term?
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Wizzie wrote:Shell becomes title sponsor for Belgian GP.

Could this mean the GP is safe in the medium term?

I certainly hope that in Bernie's mind it is second only to Monaco and Australia in terms of importance to F1! :mrgreen:
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Can we go back to Magny cours???
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

WeirdKerr wrote:Can we go back to Magny cours???

Why would we want to do that? Abiding memories are of a general lack of memories.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

WeirdKerr wrote:Can we go back to Dijon?

Fixed.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Talking of Dijon, do we want to go back to Bremgarten?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

madmark1974 wrote: I think, like most F1 fans that seeing the back of Barcelona wouldn't be a bad thing as the race is virtually always incredibly dull due to no overtaking, they've had a 20 year run at the track, and the only thing most people remember is Mansell vs Senna's sparks-flying dice IN A STRAIGHT LINE 20 years ago!

Right, because over the last 20 years the track has been ruined. First it was when La Caixa was changed, and then they added that RIDICULOUS chicane before New Holland.

If we're going to bring back the French Grand Prix, Paul Ricard is the only place I can think of that would produce decent racing. It doesn't hurt that the track is one of the safest in the world either.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
mario

Post by mario »

F1000X wrote:
madmark1974 wrote: I think, like most F1 fans that seeing the back of Barcelona wouldn't be a bad thing as the race is virtually always incredibly dull due to no overtaking, they've had a 20 year run at the track, and the only thing most people remember is Mansell vs Senna's sparks-flying dice IN A STRAIGHT LINE 20 years ago!

Right, because over the last 20 years the track has been ruined. First it was when La Caixa was changed, and then they added that RIDICULOUS chicane before New Holland.

If we're going to bring back the French Grand Prix, Paul Ricard is the only place I can think of that would produce decent racing. It doesn't hurt that the track is one of the safest in the world either.

It's the only other track in France at the moment where F1 cars can test - which reminds me, why is it that, despite the fact that the track is a permanent testing facility for motorsport, Formula 1 teams no longer test at Paul Ricard? Paul Ricard is technically capable of hosting a race, but - and there always is a but - it does have some drawbacks.
The thing is, Paul Ricard really lacks the supporting infrastructure for a race - the seating facilities are minimal compared to other tracks, nor is it really set up to cope with the sizeable media following that F1 now has. I'm sure that the money could be found, but the other issue is that Bernie owns Paul Ricard - and I hate to say it, but I don't think that he wants to have to invest heavily into the track, and pay FOM money for a race.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Meh

Paul Ricard is better
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

shinji wrote:

Why would we want to do that? Abiding memories are of a general lack of memories.

was being sarcastic.....
nome66

Post by nome66 »

JeremyMcClean wrote:

Meh

Paul Ricard is better

indeed....
POW 2 layouts right off the bat. i'm on a roll

Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Only two?

Paul Ricard has over fifty possible configurations.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

These are the only two I could think of that are under 2.9-3 miles long. Otherwise Bernie might get bored and change the ru...... oh yeah he did already.

Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Bernie is said to have doubled the fee for Istambul Park to get onto the calendar from 2012 onwards if the Turkish promoter wants to continue the GP. So the negotiations for a new deal for Kurtkoy have started. This year's race could be the last at the circuit.

http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 42202.html
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Yannick wrote:Bernie is said to have doubled the fee for Istambul Park to get onto the calendar from 2012 onwards if the Turkish promoter wants to continue the GP. So the negotiations for a new deal for Kurtkoy have started. This year's race could be the last at the circuit.

Sucks for Turkey
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Yannick wrote:Bernie is said to have doubled the fee for Istambul Park to get onto the calendar from 2012 onwards if the Turkish promoter wants to continue the GP. So the negotiations for a new deal for Kurtkoy have started. This year's race could be the last at the circuit.

But Istanbul is an absolutely brilliant track. :cry:
MaxZero

Post by MaxZero »

Never found the races in Turkey that fun to watch, turn 8 on-board is fun the first few times and there were a few Hamilton moves when he did 3 stops over everyone else's two that i can remember but other than that (and Fisi's hattrick of turn 1 brain farts) the venue has been very un-remarkable in my view

I wouldn't miss it