Reject (or not) track design.

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Aerospeed

Re: Reject (or not) track design.

Post by Aerospeed »

Captain Hammer wrote:A few ideas in London, based on Bernie Ecclestone's comments that he would happily fund a race around the landmarks:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5534141

I like the second one, actually. Though it's a bit long.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Warren Hughes wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:Anyone aware of the brilliant Coventry Ring Road? It would make a fantastic race track, completely free of at-grade intersections except a single roundabout, the rest is free-flowing with the junctions either above or below the road. Therefore I propose the Godiva 500, a 500 mile race named after Lady Godiva the one of the city's most famous icons.

Here is the route: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5529305

And for those unfamiliar with the road itself, here is a 3 minute video showing it in its entirety, starting at the roundabout in the top right in the route map above: http://www.cbrd.co.uk/video/coventryringway.shtml Select the anti-clockwise one, and that's the way I'd envisage the track to run, with the removal of the central barrier so all 4 lanes could be used.

CBRD! And I thought you were cool!

I love that website. And I am not cool.

Haha yes I pay a visit there every so often, there and PM which is another interesting read in that subject field. I'm also on SABRE as well but don't post there very often at all really. :ugeek:
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

JeremyMcClean wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:A few ideas in London, based on Bernie Ecclestone's comments that he would happily fund a race around the landmarks:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5534141

I like the second one, actually. Though it's a bit long.

FIA regulations allow for circuits up to 7.5km in length. At 6.25km, that circuit fits the regulations well enough, though it is quite long for a street circuit.

This is probably a much more realistic prospect for a street circuit: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5541097

And this is its older, meaner brother: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5541099

Personally, I think these are some of my best designs.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

I really like the second version. Looks simple yet it's not even close to one of those gastly Tilke-Dromes. Looks great, really! :)
Trulli bad puns...
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

I think the short version is better, myself. I could see it being built in the middle of the countryside. However, I'm not keen on the right-angled bend at the two-kilometre mark. Instead, I'd change it to be like "Trafalgar" on the Santander proposal, only made to be a right-left combination instead of a left-right. And, of course, no arch narrowing the circuit.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Sullivangate

Post by Sullivangate »

I legit tried to do this. But I couldn't get the thing to bathplug work properly. Just does a random course.
Sullivangate

Post by Sullivangate »

Actually it seems to just have an issue with SFO. So that's weird.
Sullivangate

Post by Sullivangate »

Here we go. Las Vegas. Fun times.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5543116
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Sullivangate wrote:I legit tried to do this. But I couldn't get the thing to bathplug work properly. Just does a random course.

There are certain rules that dictate how and where you can run the roads. For example, the automated drawing tools won't recognise the thin orange lines that are on- and off-ramps. Sometimes, you will need to use the manual drawing tool to get the job done.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I have a rather impressive creation here, which unlike many of the circuits here, actually makes a fantastic course in real life:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5553909

This would be the course for a proposed Three Shires TT, similar to the Isle of Man TT course, and only slightly longer in actual length, the circuit is comprised mostly of rural main roads, with some excellent corners and sections which are brilliant to ride on in real life. I'd love to see this actually happen! At each corner is a town, with Banbury (Oxfordshire) in the south acting as the start/finish, with the actual line along the Hennef Way section, with Daventry (Northamptonshire) in the north-east and Southam (Warwickshire) in the north-west. The track would run anti-clockwise, so Banbury to Daventry to Southam and then back to Banbury.

I'd imagine the average speed on this course would be enormous in a competitive environment, as there are very few tight turns on it, with most of those being roundabouts. The roads are all beautifully flowing and a joy to ride on, and they are a favourite for bikers in the area looking for a good ride. Have to mind those speed cameras though! ;)

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

How about this rather ridiculous proposal for Spa in 1967:
http://theracingline.net/racingcircuits/Belgium/SpaFrancorchamps67p.html
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AndreaModa wrote:I have a rather impressive creation here, which unlike many of the circuits here, actually makes a fantastic course in real life:

This would be the course for a proposed Three Shires TT, similar to the Isle of Man TT course, and only slightly longer in actual length,

Only slightly longer? It's 9/10ths of a mile longer! (>1km for you crazy non-Anglo-Saxons and Aussies). But of course, in percentage terms, I guess it's not much more. I once timed myself driving round the Manx TT track in normal traffic conditions, it took 61 minutes. How long would this take?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

WaffleCat wrote:How about this rather ridiculous proposal for Spa in 1967:

WHAT IS THAT?!

Thank God this proposal didn't go ahead!!!

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

WaffleCat wrote:How about this rather ridiculous proposal for Spa in 1967:

But, but... where's Eau Rouge? Where's La Source? Where's anything?
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

dr-baker wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:I have a rather impressive creation here, which unlike many of the circuits here, actually makes a fantastic course in real life:

This would be the course for a proposed Three Shires TT, similar to the Isle of Man TT course, and only slightly longer in actual length,

Only slightly longer? It's 9/10ths of a mile longer! (>1km for you crazy non-Anglo-Saxons and Aussies). But of course, in percentage terms, I guess it's not much more. I once timed myself driving round the Manx TT track in normal traffic conditions, it took 61 minutes. How long would this take?

Probably about a similar length of time, there's quite a few 30mph limits, and it would take bloody hours if you stuck to the rural 50 limits that have been slapped completely unnecessarily on all of those roads! :lol:

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AndreaModa wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Probably about a similar length of time, there's quite a few 30mph limits, and it would take bloody hours if you stuck to the rural 50 limits that have been slapped completely unnecessarily on all of those roads! :lol:

Of course, the wonderful part of the Manx track is that many parts are totally without speed limits! But in normal traffic, over the mountain, many people stick to around 50-odd mph. But it is possible to still hit 80-90 mph in places round the track. Legally. On single-carriageways.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
UncreativeUsername37

Using basically every road in the entire country to satisfy the FIA's 3.5-km requirement, I made a very rejectful track for a Grand Prix of Vatican City.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

why not, IndyCar?
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Davidellias

Post by Davidellias »

This wrote: So they're actually time-travellers?
Jocke1 wrote: Deletraz yes. Lavaggi no.
Salamander wrote:So that's what Deletraz was doing!
Jocke1 wrote:He was trying to reach 88 miles per hour.
Davidellias

Post by Davidellias »

This wrote: So they're actually time-travellers?
Jocke1 wrote: Deletraz yes. Lavaggi no.
Salamander wrote:So that's what Deletraz was doing!
Jocke1 wrote:He was trying to reach 88 miles per hour.
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

I just thought I had found a good location for a track near Clermont-Ferrand, but then realized it was a part of the Circuit de Charade.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
UncreativeUsername37

Based upon the perimeter of a small island of a small lake in Tasmania that looked like it'd make a good racetrack to me. I imagine it as built just northwest of Lochiel Drive, Miena, Tasmania.
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

This is my London proposal; a bit long but maybe possible and using many of central London landmarks: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5626352
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I found an interesting segment of road earlier between Tijuana and Mexicali. I give you: Mexico's answer to the Nürburgring!
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

dinizintheoven wrote:I found an interesting segment of road earlier between Tijuana and Mexicali. I give you: Mexico's answer to the Nürburgring!

A bit long, at 43km...
Trulli bad puns...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

JeremyMcClean wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:I found an interesting segment of road earlier between Tijuana and Mexicali. I give you: Mexico's answer to the Nürburgring!

A bit long, at 43km...

It's 10.75 miles shorter than the Manx TT Mountain course...
MCard LOLA
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

I think I can do Malta as well

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5479097
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

some designs for montjuich park in barcalona
proposal 1
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5653255
proposal 2
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com?r=5669263
proposal 3
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com?r=5669325

hope u lot enjoy l.o.l
p.s i'm ready for the next design challange!! :)
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

UncreativeUsername37

Captain Hammer wrote:Singapore:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5677005

They should have you designing everything instead of Tilke.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Thank you, but I think you'll find that Tilke didn't actually design Singapore. He made the basic layout, which was changed by a consultancy group based in Singapore. In fact, I think the original circuit design by Tilke was something like this.

Anyway, I've heard talk that the Singaporeans want to cut out the section around the cricket club next year. But if they do that, they're going to be cutting about 1.5km of the circuit, which they realy need, because if they remove it, then the circuit will be too short under the FIA regulations that dictate the minimum length of a circuit. Furthermore, they'd have to get rid of the chicanes along the waterfront, which will further cut down the circuit length. So I have no idea what they could do.

I've also heard that they want to move part of the circuit out to the Marina Bay Sands hotel, which is across the harbour to the south of the circuit. But if they want to keep the current pit facilities, their hands are even further tied, because there is no easy way down there and back. At the very least, they would have to build an entirely new bridge to get the cars out there, because the alternative is shutting down half a highway.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Captain Hammer wrote:Thank you, but I think you'll find that Tilke didn't actually design Singapore. He made the basic layout, which was changed by a consultancy group based in Singapore. In fact, I think the original circuit design by Tilke was something like this.

Anyway, I've heard talk that the Singaporeans want to cut out the section around the cricket club next year. But if they do that, they're going to be cutting about 1.5km of the circuit, which they realy need, because if they remove it, then the circuit will be too short under the FIA regulations that dictate the minimum length of a circuit. Furthermore, they'd have to get rid of the chicanes along the waterfront, which will further cut down the circuit length. So I have no idea what they could do.

I've also heard that they want to move part of the circuit out to the Marina Bay Sands hotel, which is across the harbour to the south of the circuit. But if they want to keep the current pit facilities, their hands are even further tied, because there is no easy way down there and back. At the very least, they would have to build an entirely new bridge to get the cars out there, because the alternative is shutting down half a highway.

monaco is 3.3km and nobody complains about it do they :?
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

roblomas52 wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:Thank you, but I think you'll find that Tilke didn't actually design Singapore. He made the basic layout, which was changed by a consultancy group based in Singapore. In fact, I think the original circuit design by Tilke was something like this.

monaco is 3.3km and nobody complains about it do they :?

Monaco has a lot of history
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
girry

Post by girry »

I believe this http://www.grandprix.com/gif/singapore-track.gif was Tilke's original plan for the track, it was clockwise unlike the chosen version.
when you're dead people start listening
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

giraurd wrote:I believe this http://www.grandprix.com/gif/singapore-track.gif was Tilke's original plan for the track, it was clockwise unlike the chosen version.

That looks pretty good - except for the roundabout. Roundabouts on street circuits are a VERY BAD IDEA.
Everything's great.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

While it's a roundabout, it's actually quite a big one - its perimeter is about 300m. Compare that to most of the ones you see on suburban streets, which usually have a perimeter of less than ten metres.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Captain Hammer wrote:While it's a roundabout, it's actually quite a big one - its perimeter is about 300m. Compare that to most of the ones you see on suburban streets, which usually have a perimeter of less than ten metres.

Still a bad idea though - there's really only one entrance and exit to a roundabout when you're racing. Any attempt at an overtake will be... messy.
Everything's great.