Ponderbox

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Fetzie

Re: Ponderbox

Post by Fetzie »

rachel1990 wrote:So... When will Red Bull push Gasly out the door? and Who will replace him (If it's for this season I would probably say Kvyat).

RBR will have a replacement driver in that car by the time they line up for P1 in Spa IMO.
Psyclepath

Post by Psyclepath »

rachel1990 wrote:So... When will Red Bull push Gasly out the door? and Who will replace him (If it's for this season I would probably say Kvyat).

By Spa, I reckon. I'd really like to see Hülkenberg somehow employed as a stop-gap measure. Give Kvyat a whole year with Toro Rosso first, I think
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Psyclepath wrote:

By Spa, I reckon. I'd really like to see Hülkenberg somehow employed as a stop-gap measure. Give Kvyat a whole year with Toro Rosso first, I think

My suggestion would be to put Sebastien Buemi in the Toro Rosso while Kvyat goes back up to Red Bull. Buemi has enough Super License points thanks to Formula E and WEC, and he's still a test driver for RBR, so perhaps he wouldn't do too bad in the Toro Rosso? And it'd be a great test to see if Formula E is a proper feeder for F1 despite the drastic differences in series.
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:And it'd be a great test to see if Formula E is a proper feeder for F1 despite the drastic differences in series.

And the only driver to have raced in FE before moving to F1?

Pierre Gasly...

All right, so it was strictly a one-off drive given that he had nothing better to do that weekend and Renault e.dams (as was) needed a replacement for Buemiwinslol (as was) that they'd known was going to be the case since before the beginning of the season, but it still counts...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Here's a ponder: remember at the start of last season, when F1 announced it was getting theme music and everyone was like "why on earth does F1 need a theme song?".

What's your thoughts on it now? Is it still far too gratuitous or has it just become part of the F1 experience?

I was on the fence when it came out, willing to accept that over time it might become part of everything - and it genuinely feels now that any F1 weekend would be poorer without it.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Ataxia wrote:Here's a ponder: remember at the start of last season, when F1 announced it was getting theme music and everyone was like "why on earth does F1 need a theme song?".

What's your thoughts on it now? Is it still far too gratuitous or has it just become part of the F1 experience?

I was on the fence when it came out, willing to accept that over time it might become part of everything - and it genuinely feels now that any F1 weekend would be poorer without it.

Still hate it. :deletraz:
#FreeGonzo
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I don't dislike the song, but I misunderstood it when it started.

I assumed every season would have its own theme song, so that you would associate different pieces of music with the different years. I thought, and still think, that that would be a neat idea. For now it's just the eternal F1 song until U2 pull a publicity stunt and make their surprise new album the theme tune to F1.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Rob Dylan wrote:I don't dislike the song, but I misunderstood it when it started.

I assumed every season would have its own theme song, so that you would associate different pieces of music with the different years. I thought, and still think, that that would be a neat idea. For now it's just the eternal F1 song until U2 pull a publicity stunt and make their surprise new album the theme tune to F1.

It was the new F1 trying to find a replacement for The Chain, in my opinion. They were very meticulous in removing everything that could remind people of the "Mr. E" era.
Bobby Doorknobs

Fetzie wrote:It was the new F1 trying to find a replacement for The Chain, in my opinion.

It wasn't, because The Chain was only ever used in the intro for the BBC/Channel 4 coverage. It means nothing to viewers in France, Germany, Japan, Finland, America, etc.

What it was actually replacing was this.

(I do like that intro better than what we have now, but probably not anywhere near as much as the people in that comments section do...)
#FreeGonzo
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I've been rewatching through 2011 recently, and one of the most interesting drivers to look back on is Michael Schumacher in his "comeback" seasons 2010-2012.

Now that time has passed, I really do pity the guy. Watching the Italian Grand Prix of that year, he has made his way into 3rd place on merit, and is holding the position well. He has come from a period where he was absolutely dominant in gaining and defending positions, and he now finds himself in an era where his skill is being diminished by DRS. In 3rd place, he is using his trademark defending to keep himself there, but unfortunately it is simply inevitable that with the "overtake button", any quicker car behind is a matter of 'when' rather than 'if' they will overtake.

Hamilton and Button spent a solid fifteen laps behind him, unable to overtake without DRS, and it's a shame, because considering who was the "better" driver on the day, Schumacher got into that place on his own skill, and technological gizmos took it away from him.

It speaks to the biggest problem I have had, and still have with DRS since 2011, and that's that it completely takes away any opportunity for the smaller teams to do well. It kills competition to the point where the smaller teams might as well not turn up. It simply sorts out to allow better teams having bad races to simply slot back into the front of the grid. No wonder we never see any variation in podium-sitters since 2011.

Ok, I don't want this to become a rant, so I will stop. But I do really pity Schumacher at the beginning of this decade. He's quite clearly out of his time, and his results often suffer, in my opinion, from forces outwith his control, be they DRS, or the new era of sensitive stewarding.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Rob Dylan wrote:It speaks to the biggest problem I have had, and still have with DRS since 2011, and that's that it completely takes away any opportunity for the smaller teams to do well. It kills competition to the point where the smaller teams might as well not turn up. It simply sorts out to allow better teams having bad races to simply slot back into the front of the grid. No wonder we never see any variation in podium-sitters since 2011.

Remember the opening laps of Singapore 2010? Between laps 3 and 15, Timo Glock doggedly held on between 10th and 12th places, ahead of the midfield cars that were much faster than the painfully slow Virgin VR-01, keeping his own version of the Trulli Train behind him, until it all came undone on lap 16. That could not possibly have happened a year later, when even on a street circuit the DRS would have sent every other car bar the HRTs hurtling past within a lap or two, strictly reinforcing the pecking order. And thus has it been ever since.
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Ataxia wrote:Here's a ponder: remember at the start of last season, when F1 announced it was getting theme music and everyone was like "why on earth does F1 need a theme song?".

I felt it was unnecessary, but I do like it.

Wouldn't go as far as saying any F1 weekend would be poorer without it, but it's good!
I like the way Snrub thinks!
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

I've been watching back the early 90s seasons for a while now, and one thing I am always keeping an ear out for is Murray Walker commenting that Ukyo Katayama was the greatest F1 driver of all time.

Does anyone know the context behind this? Was he being sarcastic (which seems out of character for Murray), was it a slip of the tongue, or did he actually believe it?
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Bobby Doorknobs

AustralianStig wrote:I've been watching back the early 90s seasons for a while now, and one thing I am always keeping an ear out for is Murray Walker commenting that Ukyo Katayama was the greatest F1 driver of all time.

Does anyone know the context behind this? Was he being sarcastic (which seems out of character for Murray), was it a slip of the tongue, or did he actually believe it?

I always thought he'd just meant to say that Ukyo was the best Formula One driver that Japan has produced. At the time (Adelaide 1994) the only other Japanese drivers that had raced in F1 full-time were Aguri Suzuki and Satoru Nakajima, and they were... not terrible but not particularly good. That and Ukyo being consistently faster than Blundell all season would've led to such a remark, but - because it's Murray - it came out the way it did.
#FreeGonzo
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Certainly when watching those races I felt Murray simply omitted the reference to 'Japan' when describing Ukyo.
Ukyo was , of course, fantastically entertaining - it was easy to get carried away when describing him. His driving style, the fact that people often underestimated him , and the way his head moved about while driving meant that I really appreciated him. And he drove for Minardi. Legend
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

FullMetalJack wrote:

I felt it was unnecessary, but I do like it.

Wouldn't go as far as saying any F1 weekend would be poorer without it, but it's good!

Makes sense that they would change it, just another way for liberty to stamp their ownership on the sport. As for the tune itself, I think it's better than the old one.
Bobby Doorknobs

It seems that the Irish media has a bad track record when it comes to getting the names of future world champions right:

#FreeGonzo
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

:D

Upon seeing Stirling Moss' name in that newspaper clipping, I remember a story from, I think it was Martin Brundle, where Moss entered a race in the 1980s and his name painted on the car was spelt 'Sterling'. As you can imagine, Stirling was pretty animated about it :lol:
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

With the Haas drivers coming together, again, is it time Haas employs a driver consultant/manager as part of the team management? Although Steiner ripping Grosjean and Magnussen a new one publicly is amusing, it doesn't seem to be working though. They are quick drivers. but need to calm down a lot to be effective.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

One of the Renault team trucks has been involved in a crash while travelling to Hungary

Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
BigG80

Post by BigG80 »

Hulkenberg was driving the truck, it was 2nd in the convoy and then that happened.
Bobby Doorknobs

Oh, no...
#FreeGonzo
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Has Vettel continually damaged his reputation since 2014? Once again he has a new, younger teammate who appears to be getting the best of him, and at least taking the majority of the glory this year for Ferrari. I feel like every season something like this happens, it takes a little of the respect and "place in the history books" stuff away, considering Vettel's entire career post-2013 has been peppered with performances and mistakes not befitting of a four-time world champion.
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

Rob Dylan wrote:Has Vettel continually damaged his reputation since 2014? Once again he has a new, younger teammate who appears to be getting the best of him, and at least taking the majority of the glory this year for Ferrari. I feel like every season something like this happens, it takes a little of the respect and "place in the history books" stuff away, considering Vettel's entire career post-2013 has been peppered with performances and mistakes not befitting of a four-time world champion.

He just looks done. Easy rookie mistakes every other weekend and I have a hard time believing he could challenge Charles next season, at all. It's crazy how much his stock has decreased in a couple of seasons and I can't see it getting any better, at least in Ferrari. I bet he's going to retire at the end 2020 season.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Rob Dylan wrote:Has Vettel continually damaged his reputation since 2014? Once again he has a new, younger teammate who appears to be getting the best of him, and at least taking the majority of the glory this year for Ferrari. I feel like every season something like this happens, it takes a little of the respect and "place in the history books" stuff away, considering Vettel's entire career post-2013 has been peppered with performances and mistakes not befitting of a four-time world champion.

There's no doubt his mentality has been questionable.

I looked back on his championships and despite my memory being "VETTELWINSLOL" (ie. pulls out a lead early, manages the gap, doesn't really get pressured, ez win), he was pushed right to the wire in 2010 and 2012 by Alonso. So at that point in his career, he was able to perform under pressure.

But hasn't been able to since 2012. He won 2013 by a mile and since then it largely hasn't been good for him since. He was quite good in 2016 but that was in his first season with Ferrari, who were poor in 2015, when there wasn't a whole lot in terms of expectation, so he could relax and just drive.

He should've taken control of the Championship in the summer of 2018, but didn't (60-70% his fault, the rest was the team's), and he's looked this season like he's not got over that. Canada didn't help, he really should've won that but for, imo, a BS penalty. Throw in a more competitive team mate in the form of Leclerc, the mistakes, his comments about not liking F1 at the moment, and he has all the hallmarks of a guy who's getting sick of driving around in circles.

Although he's not the only multiple WDC to have a problem with a team-mate who could match him. Let's not forget Hamilton, justifiably considered the best all round driver on the grid at the moment, did a lot of sulking when Rosberg was able to match him for pace. If I recall he only just stopped short of accusing the team of sabotaging him. One wonders how he'd cope with an upcoming talented driver like Leclerc at Mercedes instead of Bottas who will never, ever be as fast as him.

They seem to be a highly strung breed.

Vettel either needs a big performance between now and the end of the season or to go and refresh himself mentally over the winter or he'll be out of the sport soon.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

What happens if the fastest lap in the race is set by two drivers with identical times? Assuming both finish in the top 10.

Would it be like qualifying where the driver who sets the time first gets the higher grid slot? Or would they both be given a point? Or half a point each?
I like the way Snrub thinks!
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

FullMetalJack wrote:What happens if the fastest lap in the race is set by two drivers with identical times? Assuming both finish in the top 10.

Would it be like qualifying where the driver who sets the time first gets the higher grid slot? Or would they both be given a point? Or half a point each?

It will go to who sets it first, as happened at Jerez in 1997 when 3 drivers set an identical time for pole....
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

So not like the 1954 British Grand Prix, where the single point got split 7 ways then?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I rather like the look of the newly-rendered impressions of the generic 2021 F1 car.

So why do I have this awful sinking feeling that, come 2021 pre-season testing, the teams will have found their ways to work around the new rules enough so that the cars are even uglier than the 2012 stepped-nose horrors and the 2014 dildo-nosed abominations?

Why do I have this further and even more awful sinking feeling that the new rules will further reinforce the pecking order rather than level the playing field, so that Mercedes and Ferrari are even further ahead of Red Bull than they already are, who will in turn be even further ahead of whichever team heads the Formula 1.5 pack?
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Having thought about the fact that David Coulthard could've ended up a six-time Australian Grand Prix winner in an ideal scenario, I do wonder who is the record holder of most "What If" wins in one Grand Prix?
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

dinizintheoven wrote:I rather like the look of the newly-rendered impressions of the generic 2021 F1 car.

So why do I have this awful sinking feeling that, come 2021 pre-season testing, the teams will have found their ways to work around the new rules enough so that the cars are even uglier than the 2012 stepped-nose horrors and the 2014 dildo-nosed abominations?

Why do I have this further and even more awful sinking feeling that the new rules will further reinforce the pecking order rather than level the playing field, so that Mercedes and Ferrari are even further ahead of Red Bull than they already are, who will in turn be even further ahead of whichever team heads the Formula 1.5 pack?

I am one of the few who liked the 2014 noses. It shows the rules were open enough to allow the teams to have leeway on how to meet/skirt around the rules.

I doubt we will ever see this again, and that's a shame:

Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

I am also saddened that we will never see a car like the Lotus E22 again.

Mostly because it'll probably go down as the last incredibly fundamentally flawed F1 car in history. Sure, the last couple of Williams' were bad, but did they threaten to commit sudoku at any given opportunity?

Also it was asymmetrical.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

dinizintheoven wrote:I rather like the look of the newly-rendered impressions of the generic 2021 F1 car.

It is a concern. But then again , having looked at the 2020 cars and seen what they do with restricted rules on front wings and bargeboards, and on the assumption that the 2021 rules will be even tighter on aero abominations...there seems to be a real danger that the 2021 cars will look very similar indeed to each other. Maybe airboxes will differ.. and the size of the engine fin ...
And yes I think 2021 will spread out the field , but at least with a budget cap the hope will be that the top 3 arent permanently uncatchable .
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I seem to remember reading since the 1990s (ever since I became interested in the sport) people questioning whether F1 actually had any real-world relevance. Because part of the justification of the sport 'back in the day' was that the sport 'improved the breed', i.e. there was stuff that the sport was developing that was meant to translate to the real world. But so much regulation restriction, like banning active suspension and traction control, made that a bit of an irrelevance, a moot point.

But I see that, with F1 now currently having spare capacity, and with expertise in more specific help in areas such as rapid prototyping, design and testing, their expertise now actually has some real world relevancy again, and actually being able to aid with plugging the UK ventilator shortage. All seven UK-based teams are offering assistance. https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14874 ... tage-in-uk
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I'm just pondering if everyone is OK, I hope everyone is OK. Listen to the advice and be sensible and stay safe.

And if you're alone and struggling, reach out online if necessary. There's always someone about.
Just For One Day...
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

I'm still at the 'this is all very surreal' stage. I worked from home this past week, which was new, but I'm supposed to be in the office again next week (staff are rotaed 50/50 between working from the office and from home, with it alternating every week).

Ireland got the lockdown order a couple of hours ago. No travel outside the home except for shopping, work if you're essential, and outdoor exercise (on your own) within 2km of your house. I work for the Local Authority, so I'm probably deemed essential. Sure I'll get a call from my section head tomorrow.

Stay safe everyone.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Just a thought; this years F1 video game is going to be either a)factually incorrect or b)really weird.
Just For One Day...
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

CoopsII wrote:Just a thought; this years F1 video game is going to be either a)factually incorrect or b)really weird.

Codemasters will be able to add like 5 fps when they don't have to worry about rendering the public in the stands :D
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

CoopsII wrote:Just a thought; this years F1 video game is going to be either a)factually incorrect or b)really weird.

Ironically they're going to put in a feature to allow shorter seasons in F1 2020's career mode. They obviously planned this before Corona, so I hope they don't decide it's a bit tone deaf now and pull it.
MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx

Post by MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx »

If the Dallas track had actually been scheduled for a sensible time of year(spring or autumn) would it have been able to continue successfully for longer than just one year?
Some people are looking for the meaning of life.Me,I'll be satisfied with a cute girl who can tell her Andrea Moda from her AGS...