Ponderbox

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
CarlosFerreira

Re: Ponderbox

Post by CarlosFerreira »

shinji wrote:In celebration of Mario's 1000th post, I feel obliged to post this song.

Something, somewhere, went horribly wrong. And that's a properly pondered post.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
RAK

Post by RAK »

shinji wrote:In celebration of Mario's 1000th post, I feel obliged to post this song.

I can't listen to the first part of that song without thinking about jumping. I always did it in the game itself.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Fisichella was so much better than Sutil at Force India in 2009.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
mario

Post by mario »

RAK wrote:

I can't listen to the first part of that song without thinking about jumping. I always did it in the game itself.

It also reminds me of the spectacularly bucolic comments by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw when talking about the blatant overuse of the character by Nintendo ( http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... unctuation ).
To be honest, I'd completely overlooked that reference - I actually chose the name as a reference to Mario Andretti (and, of course, his various [reject worthy] descendants hoping to cash in on the fame of their father)...
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

mario wrote:
RAK wrote:

It also reminds me of the spectacularly bucolic comments by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw when talking about the blatant overuse of the character by Nintendo ( http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... unctuation ).
To be honest, I'd completely overlooked that reference - I actually chose the name as a reference to Mario Andretti (and, of course, his various [reject worthy] descendants hoping to cash in on the fame of their father)...

So you're not called Mario then? :lol:
Mario Andretti is one of my all-time favs as well mainly because he was an absolute all-rounder that you can't find these days. Shame his three last F1 seasons-I admit he was a bit weak, especially in 1980.
RAK

Post by RAK »

mario wrote:It also reminds me of the spectacularly bucolic comments by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw when talking about the blatant overuse of the character by Nintendo ( http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... unctuation ).

"The Wii's game lineup consists of the usual Nintendo staples of Zelda, Metroid, Mario, etc. because Nintendo's policy seems to be that if you beat a dead horse vigorously enough its constant twitching and juttering will at least give a semblance of activity..."

Admittedly, I haven't watched it in ages, but I'm currently burning through the back Weekly Issues of The Escapist in order to have read at least one article from every single issue.

Also:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... Real-Thing
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... fe-Lessons

Interesting articles, not least for their simulator content. Speaking of simulators:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... -Evolution
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
pablo_h

Post by pablo_h »

You could have posted this version at least http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42fsPaAkcag (it's a bit more formal :D )
mario

Post by mario »

Phoenix wrote:So you're not called Mario then? :lol:
Mario Andretti is one of my all-time favs as well mainly because he was an absolute all-rounder that you can't find these days. Shame his three last F1 seasons-I admit he was a bit weak, especially in 1980.

When you see the breadth of disciplines he covered, from F1 to sports cars, oval racing and Le Mans prototypes, you can't help but admire the fact that he would give it a go, and could be very successful (for example, getting a podium at Le Mans at an age when most drivers would have stopped racing).
In fact, if you look back, although I'm too young to remember those days first hand, it was an entirely different age when Jim Clark and Graham Hill, for example, could spend their time in between F1 races driving in the BTCC or at the Indy 500 (and at the time Clark and Hill won it, the prize for winning the Indy 500 was greater then the prize money for winning the World Drivers Championship in F1), or Ickx swopping between sports cars and F1.

RAK wrote:
mario wrote:It also reminds me of the spectacularly bucolic comments by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw when talking about the blatant overuse of the character by Nintendo ( http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... unctuation ).

"The Wii's game lineup consists of the usual Nintendo staples of Zelda, Metroid, Mario, etc. because Nintendo's policy seems to be that if you beat a dead horse vigorously enough its constant twitching and juttering will at least give a semblance of activity..."

Admittedly, I haven't watched it in ages, but I'm currently burning through the back Weekly Issues of The Escapist in order to have read at least one article from every single issue.

Also:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... Real-Thing
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... fe-Lessons

Interesting articles, not least for their simulator content. Speaking of simulators:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... -Evolution

Those articles are interesting, as is the review (I've got GTR Evolution, and the touring cars are good fun, along with the radicals and caterhams, although I do find that the AI can be a bit more dumb witted then the reviewer found in that article). As a track and vehicle familiarisation tool, they are very useful (we've heard about how the teams use simulators to train their drivers for each circuit well in advance of the event, and use it to work on preliminary setups), although it'll be interesting to see what the next generation of racing sims bring.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

pablo_h wrote:

You could have posted this version at least http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42fsPaAkcag (it's a bit more formal :D )

Why can't the entire world be Japan?
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

shinji wrote:
pablo_h wrote:

cause USA has THIS to offer back
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Pondering, esé?

I'm currently pondering how difficult it could be to get a long-term internship in Ireland.

But to get back to the serious things in life (AKA Formula 1): will Nick Heidfeld break the series of mediocre 2010 comebacks?
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Klon wrote:
But to get back to the serious things in life (AKA Formula 1): will Nick Heidfeld break the series of mediocre 2010 comebacks?

Honestly, I'm only expecting from him to bring the car home, and not much more.
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

shinji wrote:
pablo_h wrote:

I have a bad back, bowing could be an issue.

I have often pondered how much cooler spoken English would be if it was compulsory to do so with a Dutch accent.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

I've just realised that next season could easily be the best season in the history of Formula 1 regardless of whether Raikkonen does sign for Renault.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Tombstone wrote:I have often pondered how much cooler spoken English would be if it was compulsory to do so with an Italian accent.

There you go, fixed.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
Tombstone wrote:I have often pondered how much cooler spoken English would be if it was compulsory to do so with an Italian accent.

There you go, fixed.

Good... Italian is one of the accents that I can fake :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Wizzie wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:

There you go, fixed.

Good... Italian is one of the accents that I can fake :lol:

Goode. Itáálian ize ofthe ache-cents ai can feique.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

I have a feeling that there's going to be some major controversy at the Korean GP. Strange.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

tristan1117 wrote:I have a feeling that there's going to be some major controversy at the Korean GP. Strange.

Maybe because nothing else will happen.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

tristan1117 wrote:I have a feeling that there's going to be some major controversy at the Korean GP. Strange.

Or a major crash.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

redbulljack14 wrote:

I reckon the major controversy will be that nothing else will happen, not even the Grand Prix itself because the track won't be ready enough.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

dr-baker wrote:
redbulljack14 wrote:

I reckon the major controversy will be that nothing else will happen, not even the Grand Prix itself because the track won't be ready enough.

It'll just be a dirt track, in which Kimi Raikkonen will return and win.
Kobacrashi

Post by Kobacrashi »

What would the world of F1 be like if Ayrton Senna had not been struck by tragedy?

His accident was after all the major force behind most of the safety improvements and updated circuit design, but if he had survived/not crashed was it inevitable that there would have been a major accident with a top name driver involved which would have spurred on the safety related changes.

On a competitive front would schumacher have won the two tittles with senna in such a brilliant car, as i don't think there is an argument that Senna would have kicked Hills arse. So maybe Herr Schumacher would not be the most decorated driver of all time, coulthard wouldn't have got his break and would we have ever seen Villeneuve.

HRT would in fact be Senna racing with his nephew driving and maybe, just maybe they would not be an utter farce. Maybe I am jumping the gun but i don't think he would have been dropped for Sakon at Silverstone.
Kobayashi is back! Need I say more!
patrick

Post by patrick »

Kobacrashi wrote:What would the world of F1 be like if Ayrton Senna had not been struck by tragedy?

His accident was after all the major force behind most of the safety improvements and updated circuit design, but if he had survived/not crashed was it inevitable that there would have been a major accident with a top name driver involved which would have spurred on the safety related changes.

On a competitive front would schumacher have won the two tittles with senna in such a brilliant car, as i don't think there is an argument that Senna would have kicked Hills arse. So maybe Herr Schumacher would not be the most decorated driver of all time, coulthard wouldn't have got his break and would we have ever seen Villeneuve.

HRT would in fact be Senna racing with his nephew driving and maybe, just maybe they would not be an utter farce. Maybe I am jumping the gun but i don't think he would have been dropped for Sakon at Silverstone.

I think it's entirely probable that he would have had won or close run 1994-1997, looking at the worldbeater cars that williams had then.
Don't forget Ratzenberger was still the first driver to die for 8(?) years, and Rubens had a horrible crash that weekend too - even if Senna hadn't died then I still think safety would have been improved a lot.

Hill might not have stuck around for long being dominated by Senna, which would have left the door open for Coulthard, Villeneuve, or even Montoya (who was associated with Williams as far back as 1997 I think).
Of those three drivers, it's most probable that Coulthard wouldn't have been in F1 due to Senna surviving - but he had intrest from McLaren pretty early on as well so it's difficult to say.

Senna would have probably retired by 2000 at the latest, interestingly he may have moved to Ferrari in 1998-1999 as Luca di Montezemolo always claimed Senna privately told him he wanted to finish his career in a Ferrari. Obviously this would have had some effect on Schumacher, if he indeed moved to Ferrari as he did in 1996.

Doubtlessly Senna would have wanted to set up an F1 team, especially since arch-rival Prost did in the late 90s.

It's an interesting, ultimately pointless and sad thing to think over...
mario

Post by mario »

patrick wrote:
Kobacrashi wrote:What would the world of F1 be like if Ayrton Senna had not been struck by tragedy?

I think it's entirely probable that he would have had won or close run 1994-1997, looking at the worldbeater cars that williams had then.
Don't forget Ratzenberger was still the first driver to die for 8(?) years, and Rubens had a horrible crash that weekend too - even if Senna hadn't died then I still think safety would have been improved a lot.

Hill might not have stuck around for long being dominated by Senna, which would have left the door open for Coulthard, Villeneuve, or even Montoya (who was associated with Williams as far back as 1997 I think).
Of those three drivers, it's most probable that Coulthard wouldn't have been in F1 due to Senna surviving - but he had intrest from McLaren pretty early on as well so it's difficult to say.

Senna would have probably retired by 2000 at the latest, interestingly he may have moved to Ferrari in 1998-1999 as Luca di Montezemolo always claimed Senna privately told him he wanted to finish his career in a Ferrari. Obviously this would have had some effect on Schumacher, if he indeed moved to Ferrari as he did in 1996.

Doubtlessly Senna would have wanted to set up an F1 team, especially since arch-rival Prost did in the late 90s.

It's an interesting, ultimately pointless and sad thing to think over...

Given his devotion to training and technical developments, it is quite likely that Senna could have continued for a number of years and still been competitive, and it certainly would have had a major impact on the fortunes and shape of most of the grid. I agree that Coulthard might have started at Mclaren instead (it is possible - he had connections with West Racing through Formula 3), and Villeneuve and Hill might have had very different careers (Hill might have spent most of his time as a test driver, for example).

But the big difference could well have been with the teams. If Di Montezemolo was right, and Senna really did intend on moving to Ferrari, I doubt that Schumacher would have wanted to be in the same team as Senna (and the reverse would probably be true as well). So, assuming that Schumacher's Ferrari move might have been blocked, he might have chosen to stay at Benetton for longer - and, more importantly, that means that people like Ross Brawn and Rory Byrne, who were the intellectual firepower behind Schumacher's success, might have stayed at Benetton.
Alternatively, there is the possibility that Mercedes might have pushed Schumacher towards Mclaren, due to his existing links with Mercedes via their sports car program (I remember hearing a whisper that Mercedes did try once to put Schumacher in Mclaren, but the deal with Ferrari had already been done).

Sadly, all this speculation is just that - would that it were the case that he had survived...
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

redbulljack14 wrote:

I suggest that the GP will get cancelled but not replaced and a Red Bull driver will lose the championship by 1 point and claim that they would have been fastest around the Korea track.

Or someone will have an engine failure in the last race and still win the championship. The runner-up will claim they would have won the championship if there was another race because the champion would have had to take a 10 place grid drop.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

i was glad to see that donnington has risen from the ashes like the phoenix at the touring car race at the weekend
patrick

Post by patrick »

WeirdKerr wrote:i was glad to see that donnington has risen from the ashes like the phoenix at the touring car race at the weekend

Yep, despite the rather silly chicane antics
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

patrick wrote:
WeirdKerr wrote:i was glad to see that donnington has risen from the ashes like the phoenix at the touring car race at the weekend

Gotta love the BTCC. When I go to Brands (Indy loop) in a couple of weeks' time, it will be the fourth time this year to see them (The first two rounds of the season at Rockingham and Brands GP loop and Silverstone in August).
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

dr-baker wrote:
patrick wrote:

Gotta love the BTCC. When I go to Brands (Indy loop) in a couple of weeks' time, it will be the fourth time this year to see them (The first two rounds of the season at Rockingham and Brands GP loop and Silverstone in August).

Couldn't agree more, even in that one little snippet of replay, there's so much action going on, and thats even before they get to the chicane! Superb stuff, and with the variety of cars and no crappy team tactics, so so much better than the rubbish WTCC.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

AndreaModa wrote:Couldn't agree more, even in that one little snippet of replay, there's so much action going on, and thats even before they get to the chicane! Superb stuff, and with the variety of cars and no crappy team tactics, so so much better than the rubbish WTCC.

Well... back at the time of the Ferrari hearing, someone mentioned the BTCC as an example of a formula where no team orders happened - I immediately remembered Onslow-Cole has let Chilton pass a number of occasions this year, for example...
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Just been watching early 90s f1 footage, and I've realised, they dont show much stastistics, maybe we're getting an overload of it in recent years, and it's destroying our enjoyment, the mystery of "how far is driver-b behind driver-a, he's catching him up", and do we REALLY care how much 1.647 seconds is compared to 1.651? Is there really a need for the entire field to be given three letter names? when simply you could show the top 6 every now and again in giant block letters in the language of the venue their visiting......dernier tour......

Also, there are not many camera views from on high, like most of the races recently the cameras are positioned at a level where you can see the entire track most of the time (exaggerate much?), maybe if the cameras were akin to that of sitting in the stands without someone's head in the way, or much like they were in the 90s, we'd enjoy the races?

Just pondering...
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
coops

Post by coops »

ADx_Wales wrote:Just been watching early 90s f1 footage, and I've realised, they dont show much stastistics, maybe we're getting an overload of it in recent years, and it's destroying our enjoyment, the mystery of "how far is driver-b behind driver-a, he's catching him up", and do we REALLY care how much 1.647 seconds is compared to 1.651? Is there really a need for the entire field to be given three letter names? when simply you could show the top 6 every now and again in giant block letters in the language of the venue their visiting......dernier tour......
Also, there are not many camera views from on high, like most of the races recently the cameras are positioned at a level where you can see the entire track most of the time (exaggerate much?), maybe if the cameras were akin to that of sitting in the stands without someone's head in the way, or much like they were in the 90s, we'd enjoy the races?
Just pondering...

I agree with you with regards the on screen information, its too much and often whats on screen is irrelevant to the narrative of the race. Perhaps thats subjective but how often do we watch P1 and P2 more or less holding position to the flag with the (unchanging) time difference on screen. Meanwhile, someone is attacking to get P4 and some decent points but we're unaware of the seconds that hes gaining lap by lap?

Also, P1 will have a pit stop and the time will be flashed up. Three laps later P2 will take his pitstop and his time will be posted. Oh, hang on, I forgot the time P1 did. Was I supposed to write it down? If the commentary team doesnt fill me in on the difference then the information was irrelevant. And what about P3s time?

Other than the director often following the wrong piece of action I do think the camera side of it has improved. The on-board stuff is fantastic. Although, I can live without the shots of the wheel turning left and right.
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

coops wrote:
ADx_Wales wrote:Just been watching early 90s f1 footage, and I've realised, they dont show much stastistics, maybe we're getting an overload of it in recent years, and it's destroying our enjoyment, the mystery of "how far is driver-b behind driver-a, he's catching him up", and do we REALLY care how much 1.647 seconds is compared to 1.651? Is there really a need for the entire field to be given three letter names? when simply you could show the top 6 every now and again in giant block letters in the language of the venue their visiting......dernier tour......
Just pondering...

I agree with you with regards the on screen information, its too much and often whats on screen is irrelevant to the narrative of the race. Perhaps thats subjective but how often do we watch P1 and P2 more or less holding position to the flag with the (unchanging) time difference on screen. Meanwhile, someone is attacking to get P4 and some decent points but we're unaware of the seconds that hes gaining lap by lap?

I don't totally dislike the information we're given, but the fact the commentators get more info than we do causes some awkward moments, such as someone "going purple" or "there's been an incident in sector 7". Odd things happening.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

I am currently pondering if Nico Rosberg's career will end after the end of 2010. Now, before you, and reasonably so, go ahead and claim I am totally nuts, let me explain how I got to this idea - by reading Wikipedia. Yes, I have read the Wikipedia article on Bruno Spengler, in which it says:
Norbert Haug (Mercedes motorsports director) commented that if Spengler were to win the DTM championship he would earn a ride in F1.

That means he will most likely be put into either one of the three Mercedes powered teams. McLaren is full (although I would love to see Button without a drive, but that is another story) and Force India has confirmed Liuzzi and Di Resta is as good as confirmed ... and also a Mercedes man. That leaves Mercedes Grand Prix itself, where only Schumacher is secure for the upcoming season. Knowing that MSC likes a teammate in a lower class (and Spengler would be one, simply for lack of experience in a F1 car) and assuming that he already managed to get a certain hold of the team, he might want it that way.
Now, if we look at the other teams, it's not looking good either: Williams will not throw away Hülkenberg so fast, Virgin would unlikely be interested in two German drivers, Lotus, Ferrari, Red Bull, Toro Rosso have already two drivers and HRT/Villeneuve/Stefan/WhatevertheywillbecallingthemselvesnowF1 will most likely be looking for cash, which Rosberg has but not in the required quantities. That leaves either the second Sauber or the second Renault, both seats of desperation, if I may say so.
So Rosberg should better start hoping that Audi does enough underhanded maneuvres in the last three races (because Spengler will not lose that championship if they do not) or he might face trouble.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

What about this points system?
1-50
2-30
3-20
4-10
5-8
6-6
7-4
8-3
9-2
10-1
10 points awarded for fastest lap and pole position. Only 75% of the results count towards the championship (the best results, of course) BUT the points awarded for pole position and fastest lap always count.
coops

Post by coops »

Phoenix wrote:What about this points system?

Phoenix, why do you want life to be more complicated? :lol: I hope Bernie doesnt cast a glance over your points system as he may well take them up!

What about 5 points for the most shiny helmet and points deducted for terminally dull press conferences?
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

coops wrote:
Phoenix wrote:What about this points system?

Phoenix, why do you want life to be more complicated? :lol: I hope Bernie doesnt cast a glance over your points system as he may well take them up!

What about 5 points for the most shiny helmet and points deducted for terminally dull press conferences?

I don't think it's that complicated. Discarding results has been a regular practice in F1 for 40 years, and it's not that hard to award points for fastest laps and poles. I just think stretching the margin between 1st and 2nd and 3rd and the other points-scoring positions would help increase spectacle.
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

I wonder if Williams will ever win again... I hope so.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

F1000X wrote:I wonder if Williams will ever win again... I hope so.

I concur, I hope they will conquer again...
MCard LOLA