Best Formula 1 Liveries

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Jeroen Krautmeir

Best Formula 1 Liveries

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

Probably not suited for the forum, but I'm intrigued to know which liveries you thought were best! Rejects and Non-Rejects accepted! ;)

Lotus 98T

Minardi M189

Lotus 72- Gold Leaf (Or any Lotus with the livery)

Tyrrell 020- BRAUN

Williams FW19- Rothmans (Whatever Williams with it)

Prost AP01

Jordan EJ11 (Or Any B&H except for 1996)

Midland M16

And many more, but I'm sure I've wreaked havoc on slow internet connections, therefore I shall stop posting pics! :D
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Re: Best Formula 1 Liveries

Post by ADx_Wales »

What? No 1991 Jordan....... The ultimate livery?

The 94-97 williams rothmans were not the best in my onion, but better than the winfield disaster.

There has never really been a bad Benetton livery either.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

To be honest, I'm a huge fan of the Camel Lotus cars as well as the BMW Williams cars.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

My very favourite:
Jaaaaag R2 :mrgreen:

And I also love Orange Arrows liveries.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

ADx_Wales wrote:What? No 1991 Jordan....... The ultimate livery?

I have to echo that sentiment, that car was a thing of beauty in terms livery, colour and the actual car with the lovely front end. Probably my favourite ever F1 car.
Walsh_e

Post by Walsh_e »

The 96 Jordan - one of my favourite ever F1 liveries

Renault 1985 deserves a mention as well
I'm proud to live in the best hemisphere, the British hemisphere!

"So it was Lauda Vs de Cesaris, de Cesaris had the advantage of youth, Lauda had the advantage of experience, some said he had the advantage of brains" - Clive James
coops

Post by coops »

ADx_Wales wrote:What? No 1991 Jordan....... The ultimate livery?

Did you mean to type the '94 Pacific'?

Ive got a strange but welcome sensation of deja-vu.
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

McLaren MP4/4

McLaren MP4/12

Benetton B198

Honda RA106

Williams FW19
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

In addition to the Rothmans era Williamses, B&H era Jordans, and Marlboro era McLarens:

Jordan 191:

Larrousse LH94 (Tourtel Livery):
Plenty of reject drivers piloted it too.

Ferrari 412T:
Okay I know loads of Ferraris used the same exact red and the same colour scheme, but for some reason it looks best on that car.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

Say what you want about the "new" Lotus team, but to me, this livery looks awesome. The combination of British Racing Green and yellow looks fine, and even if the current results aren't satisfying, it definitely carries some sort of Lotus spirit inside.

Some might argue that babyblue doesn't suit a formula one car, but I think it does. Plus there is a good contrast with the green painted areas of the car. All in all, this is a beautiful livery (That can't be said about its successor though).

Black is beautiful, period. Besides, it looked much better than the later livery with the white polka dots all over the car.

It's Jägermeister! And Jägermeister fits always perfectly on race cars. Here are some more examples:
MIA SAN MIA!
RLeb

Post by RLeb »

The 2010 Lotus is absolutely stunning. I love it. My favorite current livery by a country mile.

All time? That's tough to say. I loved the Benetton B192

"The sport is more important than anything, more important than any of the people in it." - Gilles Villeneuve
danardif1

Post by danardif1 »

This is just epically beautiful... and it was slow too so we got a good look at it!!!

I'm also a fan of the 94 Larousse too... though not in the Kronenbourg livery :|

Anyone else like the Brawn? Especially with that Canon sticker on the side in Singapore...

KAMUI KOBAYASHI

After some more irreverant F1 debate? Join http://www.f1-nation.ning.com!
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

What are the numbers for?
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

tommykl wrote:What are the numbers for?

They're Schumacher's reference points when he decides to take Button out :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
coops

Post by coops »

Great shot. Is that Sospiri in the car looking all excited at the start (and end) of his illustrious F1 career?

(Im not taking the mickey. Ive even found the full size version of the pic and its now proudly wallpapering my works PC. Bliss)
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
danardif1

Post by danardif1 »

tommykl wrote:What are the numbers for?

It was a pic from F1Technical, and it was just showing spec-differences from Singapore to Suzuka...
KAMUI KOBAYASHI

resir014

Post by resir014 »

Super Aguri SA107.

Brawn GP 001.

Phoenix wrote:"Read F1 Rejects, it never lies"

resir01 | A F1RWRS reject that nobody knows.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/resir014
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

coops wrote:Image
Great shot. Is that Sospiri in the car looking all excited at the start (and end) of his illustrious F1 career?

(Im not taking the mickey. Ive even found the full size version of the pic and its now proudly wallpapering my works PC. Bliss)

Well, the car's number is 24, which was Sosperi's. And this is my wallpaper on my home laptop too.

Just about every picture I post on here is from a Google search (other than photos I took myself...).
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Waris

Post by Waris »

danardif1 wrote:Image
This is just epically beautiful... and it was slow too so we got a good look at it!!!

That looks like a pen, ready to be picked up and be used for writing. XD

EDIT: OMG, NEW MARKET NICHE: Pens shaped like F1 cars. Please don't steal this idea!! ;-;
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

My nominations:

Arrows A18

Arrows A23
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Wizzie wrote:My nominations:

Arrows A23

The Jordan in that picture also looks pretty sharp. What ever happened to distinctive liveries?
danardif1

Post by danardif1 »

The 2002 Jordan was a nice looking car, but my favourite Jordan is the 2001 model...

I love the sharp lines of the cars from 1999 to 2001... then Ferrari changed the rules with their massive step forward in the F2002...
KAMUI KOBAYASHI

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

danardif1 wrote:I love the sharp lines of the cars from 1999 to 2001... then Ferrari changed the rules with their massive step forward in the F2002...

I never quite knew why I prefered F1 cars from the late 90s-early 00s over the current crop of machines until today. Thank you for enlightening me.

Anyway I propose a new (but probably not as successful) candidate:

Benetton B200/B201
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

I'm not a fan of the black dropshadow on the white writing everywhere on the car.
Jeroen Krautmeir

You know, I might be weird by saying this, but I never had a real problem with the BAR 01.

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

BAR should have used this livery instead:

Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

I always loved the Jordan's nose arts :D
Jeroen Krautmeir

Pointrox wrote:

I always loved the Jordan's nose arts :D

The shark was the best!

Did DHL have something to do with the nose arts going? Because when DHL became title sponsor the arts went. :(

IdeFan

Post by IdeFan »

The 555 Liveried BAR 006. Its a real shame that stupid FIA regulations about not changing liveries prevented it from being raced.
"Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one!" - James Hunt, Monaco 1982
danardif1

Post by danardif1 »

Now don't have a go at me, because I hate this livery and therefore it shouldn't be here, but i've put it in to further demonstrate why I loved the lines of the 99-01 F1 breed... Under the crappy paint job this Williams is a beauty!

It's successor was much better though... I really liked the first BMW-era livery

KAMUI KOBAYASHI

midgrid

Post by midgrid »

Wizzie wrote:
danardif1 wrote:I love the sharp lines of the cars from 1999 to 2001... then Ferrari changed the rules with their massive step forward in the F2002...

I never quite knew why I prefered F1 cars from the late 90s-early 00s over the current crop of machines until today. Thank you for enlightening me.

I think it's also because the front and rear wings on the 2009-2010 cars are less coherent in relation to the chassis compared with the cars of ten years ago. The current generation of car liveries tend to look better from the side (and above) than the front.
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:Did DHL have something to do with the nose arts going? Because when DHL became title sponsor the arts went. :(

I think that it was partly Jordan's and B&H's idea to put the nose arts on the cars.
There's also an interesting connection of them with the B&H's ads during the Grands Prix when alcohol and cigarette ads were banned.
For example - when the snake was on the nosecone, Benson & Hedges was replaced by Bitten Hisses, when the hornet was placed there - Buzzin' Hornets, and when they put the shark on - Bitten Heroes :D
Around 2001 DHL probably bought most of the advertising space and also removed the nose arts.
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

If I Recall...

...The First BAR could have run with seperate liveries, but the teams disapproved of it on a vote, dont know which ones decided against it, maybe it was all of them.

I have a feeling that they were concerned that it would open the floodgates and then ALL the teams would have seperate sponsors for each car.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
Waris

Post by Waris »

ADx_Wales wrote:If I Recall...

...The First BAR could have run with seperate liveries, but the teams disapproved of it on a vote, dont know which ones decided against it, maybe it was all of them.

I have a feeling that they were concerned that it would open the floodgates and then ALL the teams would have seperate sponsors for each car.

I don't get it. Didn't Larrousse have two different liveries in 1994? If I recall correctly, one was only used for one race, and nothing bad came of it. They should make the rule that both cars must be the same livery, but you can alternate between two liveries for a minority of the races, say 5 races out of 19.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Waris wrote:
ADx_Wales wrote:If I Recall...

I don't get it. Didn't Larrousse have two different liveries in 1994? If I recall correctly, one was only used for one race, and nothing bad came of it. They should make the rule that both cars must be the same livery, but you can alternate between two liveries for a minority of the races, say 5 races out of 19.

The BAR plan was having Jacques in the Luckies car and Zonta in a blue 555 car. But the FIA didn't allow it, hence the half 'n' half scheme.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Not sure if I said this in this thread already, but I love this season's Renault livery. Screw the "tradition" crap, I just really like the yellow and black "Killer Bee" livery.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

The Ligier JS27 from 1986. Both the car and the livery were beautiful, and it was the last truly competitive Ligier.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Phoenix wrote:The Ligier JS27 from 1986. Both the car and the livery were beautiful, and it was the last truly competitive Ligier.

With the world's largest rear wing on the back! Jesus my garden shed is smaller than that thing! :lol:
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Mid 80s rear wings were brilliant weren't they? I believe KFC bought up the ones left over for use as 'Bargain Buckets'.