List of F1 drivers' road cars

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
MinardiFan95

List of F1 drivers' road cars

Post by MinardiFan95 »

I was recently browsing through a few newspaper clippings when I found this list of F1 drivers' road cars. As you can see most of these are provided by sponsors and the manufactuers themselves.

McLaren
Button - Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG
Hamilton - Mercedes-Benz ML420

Ferrari
Alonso - Maserati (model name not given)
Massa - Maserati (model name not given)

Red Bull
Vettel - BMW (model name not given)
Webber - Porsche 911, Nissan Navara

Mercedes
Schumacher -Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Wagon
Rosberg - Mercedes-Benz C63

Renault
Kubica - Renault Megane Coupe
Petrov - Renault Megane RS

Williams
Barrichello - Ferrari 575 (most likely given to him in his days with Ferrari)
Hulkenberg - Volkswagen Scirocco

Force India
Sutil - Audi RS4
Liuzzi - Hummer (well, he is the king of bling in the F1 paddock)

BMW Sauber
de la Rosa - BMW 530xi Touring
Kobayashi - BMW X5 35i (this proves that the name isn't the only thing BMW is still involved with in the team)

Toro Rosso
Buemi - Volkswagen Golf GT
Alguersuari - Seat Leon Cupra R

Lotus
Trulli - Lotus Evora
Kovalainen - Lotus Evora

Virgin
Glock - Nissan GTR
di Grassi - no car

Hispania
Senna - no car
Chandhok - Skoda Superb

A couple of surprises in this list, such as the Ferrari drivers getting Maseratis instead of Ferraris and the fact that BMW still provides the BMW Sauber Ferrari drivers with road cars.
Last edited by MinardiFan95 on 22 Aug 2010, 10:44, edited 1 time in total.
This is a cool spot.
TomWazzleshaw

Re: List of F1 drivers' road cars

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

MinardiFan95 wrote:Liuzzi - Hummer (well, he is the king of bling in the F1 paddock)

MC TONIO IN THE HOUSE Y'ALL! :lol:

MinardiFan95 wrote:Chandhok - Skoda Superb

Should I feel sorry for Karun or are Skoda cars actually half decent now?

And why didn't Barry get a Dacia Sandero from the Top Gear crew? :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

That's a team approved list if I ever saw one. :lol: I can't imagine Kubica driving a Megane Coupe for anything other than marketing purposes.

I'd say it's a good bet that a lot of them have more than one car. Schumacher said on Top Gear he drove a Fiat people carrier as his family car and also had a 500 Abarth. Then he was still employed by Ferrari (I assume they still maintain an FXX for him, or did they take it away...) at the time.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

What's a VW GT? Plus, time to steal Liuzzi's wheels and drop'em off a cliff.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
mario

Post by mario »

Wizzie wrote:
MinardiFan95 wrote:Liuzzi - Hummer (well, he is the king of bling in the F1 paddock)

MC TONIO IN THE HOUSE Y'ALL! :lol:

And why didn't Barry get a Dacia Sandero from the Top Gear crew? :lol:

The Hummer - possibly one of the most tasteless production vehicles ever made (although it pales in comparison to the efforts of what German automotive tuners like Gemballa do - electric blue and fluorescent yellow do not go together...). What the hell is wrong with Liuzzi?
As for the Skoda, they are supposed to be fairly nice now - after all, all they effectively are is a VW with a different body on top (in essence, Skoda and Seat are simply clones of the small hatchbacks VW makes, just with a slightly different appearance).

By the looks of things, though, the fact that Button's Veyron has not come up on the list means that he must have sold it by now. I wonder if he did ever tell the new owner what he did to the car out on the Top Gear track?
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

mario wrote:The Hummer - possibly one of the most tasteless production vehicles ever made (although it pales in comparison to the efforts of what German automotive tuners like Gemballa do - electric blue and fluorescent yellow do not go together...). What the hell is wrong with Liuzzi?
As for the Skoda, they are supposed to be fairly nice now - after all, all they effectively are is a VW with a different body on top (in essence, Skoda and Seat are simply clones of the small hatchbacks VW makes, just with a slightly different appearance).

By the looks of things, though, the fact that Button's Veyron has not come up on the list means that he must have sold it by now. I wonder if he did ever tell the new owner what he did to the car out on the Top Gear track?

Or McLaren just tell him to mention the Mercedes he has whenever he's asked instead of the Veyron.

Carlos - Never heard of a Volkswagen GT either, presumably the mag misprinted what was supposed to be a Golf GTI.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

mario wrote:By the looks of things, though, the fact that Button's Veyron has not come up on the list means that he must have sold it by now. I wonder if he did ever tell the new owner what he did to the car out on the Top Gear track?

Ooh I want to hear more Mr Andretti. It sounds like a good story. :mrgreen: (Again I'm bored so please excuse the childish behaviour :lol: )
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

CarlosFerreira wrote:What's a VW GT? Plus, time to steal Liuzzi's wheels and drop'em off a cliff.

I'm guessing they meant the Golf GT (the version of the Golf with both a supercharger and a turbocharger).

Enforcer wrote:That's a team approved list if I ever saw one. :lol: I can't imagine Kubica driving a Megane Coupe for anything other than marketing purposes.

At least they didn't give him a Lada or a Dacia Sandero.

mario wrote:The Hummer - possibly one of the most tasteless production vehicles ever made

Here's some more proof that it is the most tasteless production vehicle ever made - not even the Gulf livery can make the Hummer even remotely cool.
Last edited by MinardiFan95 on 22 Aug 2010, 10:50, edited 2 times in total.
This is a cool spot.
mario

Post by mario »

Wizzie wrote:
mario wrote:By the looks of things, though, the fact that Button's Veyron has not come up on the list means that he must have sold it by now. I wonder if he did ever tell the new owner what he did to the car out on the Top Gear track?

Ooh I want to hear more Mr Andretti. It sounds like a good story. :mrgreen: (Again I'm bored so please excuse the childish behaviour :lol: )

He never did quite say what he had done to the car, unfortunately. He was on an episode of Top Gear, where Clarkson was asking him what was the fastest he had driven that Veyron, to which he initially replied "Let me see - 70 plus 10% - 77mph", with a slight smile on his face (mostly, it seems, to frustrate Clarkson, who was looking at him slightly incredulously).
Then, he admitted that he had actually been down to Dunsfold Aerodrome (where the Top Gear track and production offices are based), and taken the car "for a cheeky spin", as he put it. At that point he said "Actually, there's a certain bit where - actually, I'd better not mention that, because I'm trying to sell it..." - but, since he hasn't been back to the show since he sold the car, we don't know what exactly he did do.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
RFT

Post by RFT »

Wizzie wrote:

Skoda are part of Volkswagen these days, and the Superb is basically a Slightly longer version of the Passat, which is in turn a slightly cheaper version of the Audi A6. So, pretty decent.
If you really want to stretch things, it does share some bits with the Bentley Conti GT/Flying Spur, though those are based off the A8/Phaeton platofrm.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

RFT wrote:
Wizzie wrote:

Skoda are part of Volkswagen these days, and the Superb is basically a Slightly longer version of the Passat, which is in turn a slightly cheaper version of the Audi A6. So, pretty decent.
If you really want to stretch things, it does share some bits with the Bentley Conti GT/Flying Spur, though those are based off the A8/Phaeton platofrm.

Damn... so it's not just my tastes in music that aren't connected with society... (BTW 80s rock FTW :mrgreen: )
IdeFan

Post by IdeFan »

The Ferrari drivers probably both have a Quattroporte, which is their four door saloon type thing which is a much more practical day to day car than anything in Ferrari's range.
"Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one!" - James Hunt, Monaco 1982
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

IdeFan wrote:The Ferrari drivers probably both have a Quattroporte, which is their four door saloon type thing which is a much more practical day to day car than anything in Ferrari's range.

And Alonso made Massa give him his.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Kobayashi drirves a BMW........

@Carlos...still insist on the male chicken/BMW syndrome?
(It's just that in London they now all drive Audis). (Mostly).
Last edited by eagleash on 22 Aug 2010, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

eagleash wrote:Kobayashi dirves a BMW........

@Carlos...still insist on the male chicken/BMW syndrome?

Well, for me, this doesn't change a thing about BMWs, and the X5 encapsulates the gaudy oversized 4x4 market too. So I hate it doubly. Kamui's Sauber advised choice of wheels not withstanding, BMW drivers are still (insert appropriate swear word here).

Toyota should've made a new replica of one of these, just for him, when he was there:

DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

IdeFan wrote:The Ferrari drivers probably both have a Quattroporte, which is their four door saloon type thing which is a much more practical day to day car than anything in Ferrari's range.

Dunno about Massa but Alonso drives a Grancabrio (basically a soft top Granturismo)- and it's been Ferrari policy for years now to give Maseratis as company cars instead of Ferraris.
I remember reading something about this years ago...Midland seemed rather biased - Monteiro got no cars at all, while Albers had a Porsche Cayenne S and a Porsche 997 Turbo. Or maybe he was just sponsored by Porsche...lucky bastard :roll:
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Enforcer wrote:
Toyota should've made a new replica of one of these, just for him, when he was there:

Screw the Toyota Soarer! What Cowboyashi really deserves is a Lexus LF-A!
Jordan192

Post by Jordan192 »

I always thought the "BMW drivers are w**kers" thing was just one of those stereotypes, but then I read a couple of their brochures. While it obviously won't hold true that all drivers fit the preconception, they are actively targeting them as a market,

I would now like to submit Exhibit A.
I coined the term "Lewisteria". The irony is that I actually quite like Lewis Hamilton.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

eagleash wrote:@Carlos...still insist on the male chicken/BMW syndrome?

I do. Former colleague bought one recently, was transfigured. drives around with the lights on in mid afternoon and wears silly shades when it's foggy.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
eagleash wrote:@Carlos...still insist on the male chicken/BMW syndrome?

I do. Former colleague bought one recently, was transfigured. drives around with the lights on in mid afternoon and wears silly shades when it's foggy.

Those in London who haven't got an Audi still drive BMWs. & the BMW range is hideous.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
mario

Post by mario »

This looks like a bit of a bad time to say this, but I happen to drive a BMW...
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

MinardiFan95 wrote:Here's some more proof that it is the most tasteless production vehicle ever made - not even the Gulf livery can make the Hummer even remotely cool.

They ruined the livery for me! John Wyer is not amused. I know that picture isn't his box, but Liuzzi's an ass.

di Grassi and Senna do not have road cars? I find that rather difficult to believe - but I have extra respect for Schumi that he's a wagon driver.
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

mario wrote:This looks like a bit of a bad time to say this, but I happen to drive a BMW...

Ah, yes. Some do slip the net and end up in normal people's hands at times. ;)
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Enforcer wrote:I can't imagine Kubica driving a Megane Coupe for anything other than marketing purposes.

But the Megane must drive very well, I mean I have a Renault Scénic (which is based on the Megane chassis) which drives like awesome. Oh, and of course, Chandhok driving a Skoda is brilliant stuff. The whole list reminded me about a picture in the "Caption This"-Thread, where we had a picture of Friesacher having a sport car and Albers having a family car (a Mercedes, if I had to guess).
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
mario wrote:This looks like a bit of a bad time to say this, but I happen to drive a BMW...

No they don't. :lol:
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

MinardiFan95 wrote:The Hummer - possibly one of the most tasteless production vehicles ever made
Here's some more proof that it is the most tasteless production vehicle ever made - not even the Gulf livery can make the Hummer even remotely cool.

Not even a John Player Special livery could make that car look cool.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Enforcer wrote:That's a team approved list if I ever saw one. :lol: I can't imagine Kubica driving a Megane Coupe for anything other than marketing purposes.

He'll flip it in a rally sometime.

Now I have another reason not to like the baby blue bullcrap on the Gulf livery.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Jordan192 wrote:I always thought the "BMW drivers are w**kers" thing was just one of those stereotypes, but then I read a couple of their brochures. While it obviously won't hold true that all drivers fit the preconception, they are actively targeting them as a market,

I would now like to submit Exhibit A.

What a bunch of pretentious wankers...

Anyone that drives a German saloon is a d***head. Stereotypes...they exist for a reason!
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
mario

Post by mario »

eagleash wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:

Oi! If anything, I would say that I am more careful then a number of the drivers where I live (for example, I treat the speed limits as instructions and not suggestions, as all too many of the chavs here seem to think).
Besides, Clarkson has a point when he mentions that the "male chicken" drivers have moved to Audi's - I once had one Audi tailgating me during a driving lesson, which did not amuse my instructor one bit. That, and 4x4 drivers - I once nearly had a head on collision because someone in a 4x4 decided to cut across a junction, just as I approached it, thankfully slowly enough to stop in time.

Cynon wrote:

He'll flip it in a rally sometime.

Now I have another reason not to like the baby blue bullcrap on the Gulf livery.

In which case, I'll have to find a few reasons for you to like it again:

Hopefully, there will be something amongst the more famous cars to carry the Gulf livery that takes your fancy...
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

I've been telling Carlos for months that all the up to date cocks drive Audis.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

eagleash wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:

Do the new Minis count as BMWs for this stereotype? 'Cos that's the car I have...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

dr-baker wrote:
eagleash wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:

Do the new Minis count as BMWs for this stereotype? 'Cos that's the car I have...

Personally I wouldn't include them. Unless driven by an Estate Agent. :)
kowalski

Post by kowalski »

eagleash wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Do the new Minis count as BMWs for this stereotype? 'Cos that's the car I have...

Personally I wouldn't include them. Unless driven by an Estate Agent. :)

Which they all are... Other than the ones driven by 50+ yr old women who wish they where still 20 yr old...
Sakon Yamamoto - Not bad for a third driver
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

dr-baker wrote:Do the new Minis count as BMWs for this stereotype? 'Cos that's the car I have...

I reckon it's just the bimmers.

eagleash wrote:I've been telling Carlos for months that all the up to date cocks drive Audis.

I told you, I like the look of the Audis, but you have a Skoda. Which is another reason to like Chandhok.

Go home, Colin Kolles!
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

CarlosFerreira wrote:

I reckon it's just the bimmers.

eagleash wrote:I've been telling Carlos for months that all the up to date cocks drive Audis.

I told you, I like the look of the Audis, but you have a Skoda. Which is another reason to like Chandhok.

Go home, Colin Kolles!

A Skoda! No! I don't have a Skoda. I still have my SD1. Why Chandhok?
coops

Post by coops »

CarlosFerreira wrote:Go home, Colin Kolles!

He probably is at home right now.

Or out shopping.
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

eagleash wrote:A Skoda! No! I don't have a Skoda. I still have my SD1. Why Chandhok?

I meant "you'd have a Skoda". Didn't the article say that Karun drove one?
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
eagleash wrote:A Skoda! No! I don't have a Skoda. I still have my SD1. Why Chandhok?

Probably wouldn't have a Skoda. I thought you were the Fabia (rally car) fan?
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

eagleash wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:

Probably wouldn't have a Skoda. I thought you were the Fabia (rally car) fan?

I'm a Fabia fan all-round. Unfortunately, my parents were into residual value, so they decided to get me a Polo. :evil:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Jynister

Post by Jynister »

CarlosFerreira wrote:What's a VW GT? Plus, time to steal Liuzzi's wheels and drop'em off a cliff.

I believe the Golf GT is a normal Golf but with a paddle shift gearbox.