Massa Hit / Will Not Race In Hungary

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
noisebox

Re: Massa Hit / Will Not Race In Hungary

Post by noisebox »

First interview with Massa now online:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 181452.stm

Also, Williams have objected to Schumacher testing the F60 (unlike Norbert Haug who said he was OK with it)...
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77534
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

While I can see Williams's point, I don't think that the Alguersuari situation is directly comparable - I think that a team choosing to drop a driver should be viewed differently from a team which has a driver change forced upon it by injury.
Last edited by Paul Hayes on 03 Aug 2009, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Paul Hayes wrote:While I can see Williams's point, I don't think that the Alguersuari situation is directly comparable - I think that a team choosing to drop a driver should be viewed different from a team which has a driver change forced upon it by injury.

Yeah, but a team bringing in a debutant should be viewed differently from a team bringing in a how-many-times-world-champion and a goodness-knows-how-many-grand-prix-wins driver...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

dr-baker wrote:
Paul Hayes wrote:While I can see Williams's point, I don't think that the Alguersuari situation is directly comparable - I think that a team choosing to drop a driver should be viewed different from a team which has a driver change forced upon it by injury.

Yeah, but a team bringing in a debutant should be viewed differently from a team bringing in a how-many-times-world-champion and a goodness-knows-how-many-grand-prix-wins driver...

But nobody made Torro Rosso put him in the seat.
Jordan192

Post by Jordan192 »

Paul Hayes wrote:But nobody made Torro Rosso put him in the seat.

Nor is anybody making Ferrari use a replacement driver who's been out of F1 for 3 years. If the argument is that Toro Rosso brought it on themsleves by firing Bourdais, then Ferrari must have equally brought it on themselves by not hiring Bourdais.

I think any mid-season replacement driver, regardless of circumstances, should be allowed a 1-day acclimatisation test at a non-championship circuit, but it's not in the rules at the moment. Doesn't matter why he's being replaced, it doesn't matter that it's Schuey, if it's not allowed, it's not allowed.

Hell, they're not even allowed to run current F1 cars at the festival of speed anymore.
I coined the term "Lewisteria". The irony is that I actually quite like Lewis Hamilton.
Ross Prawn

Post by Ross Prawn »

Jordan192 wrote:Doesn't matter why he's being replaced, it doesn't matter that it's Schuey, if it's not allowed, it's not allowed.

Hell, they're not even allowed to run current F1 cars at the festival of speed anymore.

Too right.

Its the rules. Testing is banned. That has dominated the way the whole season has played out. I think its a bad rule, but its the rule. No way can it be relaxed just because its Schumi.
"Other than the car behind and the driver who might get a bit startled with the sudden explosion in front, it really isn't a major safety issue from that point of view,"
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Ross Prawn wrote:
Jordan192 wrote:Doesn't matter why he's being replaced, it doesn't matter that it's Schuey, if it's not allowed, it's not allowed.

Too right.

Its the rules. Testing is banned. That has dominated the way the whole season has played out. I think its a bad rule, but its the rule. No way can it be relaxed just because its Schumi.

Of course the rules can be relaxed! From what I understand, you can do anything you like as long as all the other teams and the FIA agree with it. Ferrari asked, and they've been denied; no big deal! I don't know why people are getting so worked up about it and trying to spin it like Schumi is getting some kind of special treatment. Torro Rosso could have asked to test Alguersuari before Hungary, but they didn't.

Interestingly, James Allen says on his blog that the request was denied by Williams and both Red Bull teams. All other news sources seem to say that all FOTA teams were in favour. It's hardly surprising that Williams denied the request, since they seem to have become the FIA's new lapdog.