The Junior Series Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Backmarker

Re: The GP2/GP3 Thread

Post by Backmarker »

Nuppiz wrote:Both Finns on podium in GP3, I'm happy! Connor Daly also won the sprint race, there's one for the short list of American drivers who have a chance of getting into F1 in the next few years.

His dad was Derek Daly, who was an Irish driver in the 1970s-1980s. I think we might see Alexander Rossi in F1 first, but Daly probably has what it takes.

With regards the Finns, Vainio and Laine are no Bottas. I slated Laine a little in my season preview, and I keep spelling his name wrong (Matthias or Mathias, not Matias) so I feel a little silly now he's scored points in the first two races of the season.

The GP3 grid looks a little weak this year, I don't know how Cregan, Klasterka, Wartique, Jorda and Piria got there.

Okay, I know how Jorda and Piria got there ;)
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

shinji wrote:
Nuppiz wrote: Connor Daly also won the sprint race, there's one for the short list of American drivers who have a chance of getting into F1 in the next few years.

Also as close as I can hope for an Irishman.

There's still time for a Ralph Firman comeback! :lol:
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

Captain Hammer wrote:Massively impressed by Tio Ellinas after that race. He got a grid penalty, then clawed back seven positions in sixteen laps.

What's what I thought as well.
Mind you that he's the first Cypriot driver to compete on an international level - and he's putting his country to no shame! I'm a declared fan :D
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Pointrox wrote:Mind you that he's the first Cypriot driver to compete on an international level - and he's putting his country to no shame! I'm a declared fan :D

Wait, what? Now he has my interest.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I was born the same day as Vicky Piria...just sayin'. :lol:
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Johnny Cecotto jr takes his first victory in Monaco feature race!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Bleu wrote:Johnny Cecotto jr takes his first victory in Monaco feature race!

I didn't realise there was any on-track action today. I thought Monaco Friday was a day off for all series... :oops:

Anyway, I'm tuning in for the GP3 race now, to put off packing to go home from uni (and doing my laundry...).
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Just watched the GP3 race - why was the commentator always referring to Pal Kiss as Kiss Pal (I am sure I once even heard it as Piss Kal :oops: )? Plus, when a yellow came out in sector one, the commentator suggested it must be at La Source! There must be a good 800 - 1000 miles apart!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

dr-baker wrote:Just watched the GP3 race - why was the commentator always referring to Pal Kiss as Kiss Pal (I am sure I once even heard it as Piss Kal :oops: )? Plus, when a yellow came out in sector one, the commentator suggested it must be at La Source! There must be a good 800 - 1000 miles apart!

He's using the Hungarian name order - http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiss_P%C3%A1l_Tam%C3%A1s
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Pointrox wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Just watched the GP3 race - why was the commentator always referring to Pal Kiss as Kiss Pal (I am sure I once even heard it as Piss Kal :oops: )? Plus, when a yellow came out in sector one, the commentator suggested it must be at La Source! There must be a good 800 - 1000 miles apart!

He's using the Hungarian name order - http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiss_P%C3%A1l_Tam%C3%A1s

Ah, fair enough. Still, it did seem a bit odd when the name on the screen was the opposite way round to that which the commentator was saying.
MCard LOLA
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Yeah, our name order is a bit messy, but I have to say, Kiss is doing a pretty damn job. Seems to be a LOT more talented than a certain HWNSNBM.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Shizuka wrote:Seems to be a LOT more talented than a certain HWNSNBM.

BLASPHAMY! :o
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Mister Fungus

Post by Mister Fungus »

Extreme amateurism today in both series first this in GP2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCte8-m-Xqg

And then a driver without a front wing crashing into a driver without a rear wing, only to go airborne (no video yet) in GP3.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Surprised Calado kept going for as long as he did.

But Palmer got a good win, not something I ever thought was gonna happen.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Mister Fungus wrote:Extreme amateurism today in both series first this in GP2:

And then a driver without a front wing crashing into a driver without a rear wing, only to go airborne (no video yet) in GP3.

That was Connor Daly smashing into Seranovich.

Just seen the replay of the incident, my bloody God! He was launched into the catch fencing outside the tunnel, nearly flying over it, before crashing back down and spinning into the exit road next to the chicane. Monster impact, but he seems OK from it. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Mister Fungus

Post by Mister Fungus »

When they showed the whole monstrous Trulli train that Seranovich created, going into the tunnel it was really obvious something bad was going to happen. The weirdest thing was that he was defending like that without the rear wing for a few laps already.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

That is a massive crash! How Daly walked away uninjured beggars belief :shock:

Anyway, why did I see no black & orange flags for Seranovich?! Driving around Monaco with no rear downforce is just... Well, we just saw what can happen.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

When I spotted the loose wheel that came off Daly's car, I immediately thought of Henry Surtees' crash. Thankfully noone got hit, but that was way too close.
What an utter idiot Suranovich is!
On the other hand, Marlon Stockinger won his first race in GP3, and seldom you can see Filipino driver winning something. He certainly made good use of the mess.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Pointrox wrote:

When I spotted the loose wheel that came off Daly's car, I immediately thought of Henry Surtees' crash. Thankfully noone got hit, but that was way too close.

Yeah but you've got to remember, the point at which the Surtees incident happened the cars are accelerating and are doing over 100mph, whereas that is in a braking zone and one of the slowest points in the entire track. It could have caused injury no doubt, but it would take an extreme freak of nature for that wheel to have killed someone. I was more afraid of Daly just missing the catch fencing entirely and hitting whatever was behind it.

Image Image
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Didn't even flinch. That's dedicated marshalling.

Pointrox wrote:

On the other hand, Marlon Stockinger won his first race in GP3, and seldom you can see Filipino driver winning something. He certainly made good use of the mess.

First major win for a Filipino since Jovy Marcelo? :?:
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

According to first-account news, Suranovich went bathplugging nuts.

Marshals waved their hands off with black-orange flags for three laps but all he did was flipping off the chief steward.
Things get more spicy - apparently Dmitry was sacked with immediate effect.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Pointrox wrote:According to first-account news, Suranovich went bathplugging nuts.

Marshals waved their hands off with black-orange flags for three laps but all he did was flipping off the chief steward.

Bloody hell! This makes Lewis Hamilton's performance last year in Monaco seem professional! :shock:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

East Londoner wrote:Bloody hell! This makes Rene Arnoux's performance 23 years ago in Monaco seem professional! :shock:

Fixed
I like the way Snrub thinks!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Sounds like this Suranovich lad should be kicked out of the championship for good. I didn't think anyone could do worse in this regard than Schumacher, but apparently I was wrong...

Image Image
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

redbulljack14 wrote:
East Londoner wrote:Bloody hell! This makes Jean-Pierre Jarier's performance 29 years ago in Austria seem professional! :shock:

Fixed
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Pointrox wrote:
redbulljack14 wrote:
East Londoner wrote:Bloody hell! This makes Jean-Pierre Jarier's performance 29 years ago in Austria seem professional! :shock:

Fixed

You win!
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Pointrox wrote:According to first-account news, Suranovich went bathplugging nuts.

Unlike Will Power, Suranovich had only himself to blame for being worse than 10 Yuji Ides with a side helping of Jean-Pierre Jarier on track.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Suranovich is a goddamn disgrace to the sport. Good riddance, I say, that was on par with Jerezgate and Hungary 2010, in my opinion.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Christ what a bathplug moron. What was he hoping to achieve still racing with no rear-wing anyway.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

That GP3 crash really did scare me when I saw it live. How nobody got injured, God only knows. And insulting the stewarts? Not even Lewis Hamilton has been known to do that... to their faces

Oh and I just saw that GP2 crash for the first time - Spa 1998?
MCard LOLA
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Mister Fungus wrote:Extreme amateurism today in both series first this in GP2:

Funny thing is the GP3 guys have been much better behaved off the startline all weekend :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:Suranovich is a goddamn disgrace to the sport. Good riddance, I say, that was on par with Jerezgate and Hungary 2010, in my opinion.

I know, damn kids these days have no common sense.

I'm about 2 and a half years older, so i'm not a kid.
mario

Post by mario »

If he has been fired, it would serve him right for being such a reckless driver and overly hot headed to boot. It's certainly a harsher penalty than the FIA have been willing to give (they have now excluded Suranovich from the results of that race, but seem to be taking no further action at the moment http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/99922 ).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Wizzie wrote:
Shizuka wrote:Seems to be a LOT more talented than a certain HWNSNBM.

BLASPHAMY! :o

Shizuka http://youtu.be/m5RtlpXsl8k
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

Several things about that Connor Daly crash:
- Dmitry Seranovich is an idiot; anybody racing on without a rear wing is a complete madman, especially at Monaco. Disrespecting the stewards, not heeding to flags, and overall being a dangerous driver, I am glad he got sacked (if he did).
- Idiocy aside, I am still watching that video. It seems that he has the racing line (which he shouldn't since his car is damaged and should have been pulled over), and then made one move to the left into Daly. Looking at it though that move still put him on the racing line. I do not know if Seranovich was actively trying to cause a collision, or of Daly was being too opportunistic.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Dan B wrote:- Idiocy aside, I am still watching that video. It seems that he has the racing line (which he shouldn't since his car is damaged and should have been pulled over), and then made one move to the left into Daly. Looking at it though that move still put him on the racing line. I do not know if Seranovich was actively trying to cause a collision, or of Daly was being too opportunistic.

Doesn't matter - either way, the crash wouldn't have happened if Suranovich realised that driving without a rear wing is a very, very, very bad idea.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Whut? :?

Lots and lots of confusion according to WIll Buxton.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

East Londoner wrote:Whut? :?

Lots and lots of confusion according to WIll Buxton.

Typical cock-up in stewardom...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

The GP3 rear wing must provide next to no downforce then, if Suranovich was able to continue without crashing out.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?