Yamamania is back!

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
DemocalypseNow

Yamamania is back!

Post by DemocalypseNow »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85314

It's a duel. Either Senna or Chandhok will get the boot for the rest of the season depening on their performance in GB and Germany...probably.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Yamamania is back!

Post by FullMetalJack »

It's Chandhok gone for Germany. Not good.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Okay, either Colin Kolles (I've come up with a lovely epithet for this man, however I suspect the Ferret will not be impressed) is going to play all 3 off against each other to try and get them to bring their game up, or Sakon has money and he's going to play Chandhok and Senna off against each to try and get them to bring up their game. Given that he's said Chandhok will 'get some races near the end of the season' suggests the latter and he's just keeping him around to keep Senna on his toes.

Newsflash Colin, the DNA of Ayrton Senna, Michael Schumacher, Juan Fangio, Alain Prost and Tazio Nuvoulari combined into one superdriver will not haul that car up the grid.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

"Karun Chandhok is still part of the Hispania Racing, HRT F1 Team family and is likely to be in the car at some later races this season."

Oh dear. The way they've worded that suggests it's not for the one race. What a knobhead Kolles is for effectively kicking out the most likeable, down to earth person in the paddock. He's lining himself up nicely for ROTY at this rate in my book :evil:
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

AndreaModa wrote:
"Karun Chandhok is still part of the Hispania Racing, HRT F1 Team family and is likely to be in the car at some later races this season."

Oh dear. The way they've worded that suggests it's not for the one race. What a knobhead Kolles is for effectively kicking out the most likeable, down to earth person in the paddock. He's lining himself up nicely for ROTY at this rate in my book :evil:

It's a shame Chandhok may not drive for the rest of the season, he's such a nice guy and is grateful just to be in Formula 1. Force India could do a lot worse than Chandhok in a couple of years time.
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

kostas22 wrote:It's a duel. Either Senna or Chandhok will get the boot for the rest of the season depening on their performance in GB and Germany...probably.

Then I really hope Senna get's a car that lasts for a race if this is the case.
Ulfuls

Post by Ulfuls »

Has to be about the money -- Kolles thinks he's found a way to squeeze three drivers' sponsors into two cockpits. Of course Christian Klien, who was immediately half a second faster than Chandhok and Senna but doesn't come with quite the chequebook, is not getting a look-in.

Assuming Yamamoto does come with funds, of course -- you'd think there'd be a new sticker on the car if so, but still...

The odds of HRT doing a graceful Super-Agurian half-gainer into the bin by, say, Monza have just shortened significantly, I think.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Ulfuls wrote:Has to be about the money -- Kolles thinks he's found a way to squeeze three drivers' sponsors into two cockpits. Of course Christian Klien, who was immediately half a second faster than Chandhok and Senna but doesn't come with quite the chequebook, is not getting a look-in.

Assuming Yamamoto does come with funds, of course -- you'd think there'd be a new sticker on the car if so, but still...

The odds of HRT doing a graceful Super-Agurian half-gainer into the bin by, say, Monza have just shortened significantly, I think.

Not impossible....there must be some issues at the back of this. If it is all down to money they'll probably need someone with A Guy Edwards' level of ability in attracting sponorship....
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Using a norwegian F1-site as source, it says that Yamamoto brings around 4-5m USD just for being third driver, and HRT gets more money if he races.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Myrvold wrote:Using a norwegian F1-site as source, it says that Yamamoto brings around 4-5m USD just for being third driver, and HRT gets more money if he races.

Interesting....would partially explain it; but as noted above there seems to be a lack of additional/alternative sponsorship details on the car.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

how long before Klien gets a race in the car aswell??
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

WeirdKerr wrote:how long before Klien gets a race in the car aswell??

Apparently he will be at some point during the season in order to give Colin Kolles an idea for who to sign as drivers for next season. Surely Klien can get a better test role.
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

eagleash wrote:
Myrvold wrote:Using a norwegian F1-site as source, it says that Yamamoto brings around 4-5m USD just for being third driver, and HRT gets more money if he races.

Interesting....would partially explain it; but as noted above there seems to be a lack of additional/alternative sponsorship details on the car.

Well, I can't really find much Indian sponsors on the car either, not on hispanias site either, it is either brazilian or spanish sponsors, the rest is universal partners that also is partners with other teams.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

redbulljack14 wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:

It's a shame Chandhok may not drive for the rest of the season, he's such a nice guy and is grateful just to be in Formula 1. Force India could do a lot worse than Chandhok in a couple of years time.

Force India could do a lot worse than Chandhok right now. Boot out Liuzzi/Sutil (take your pick) and stick Chandhok in the Force India. :mrgreen:
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Enforcer wrote:Okay, either Colin Kolles (I've come up with a lovely epithet for this man, however I suspect the Ferret will not be impressed)

Let's just say I've just seen the news and the ensuing expletives has caused some concern among bystanders. Family Forum rules and all, but this has made me really angry.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Myrvold wrote:
eagleash wrote:

Well, I can't really find much Indian sponsors on the car either, not on hispanias site either, it is either brazilian or spanish sponsors, the rest is universal partners that also is partners with other teams.

No that's right; but you would think that if Yamamoto's backers came up with more money if he actually drove they would want to see ROI in terms of sponsorship details on the car. Still it all adds to the mystery, conjecture & gossip on which we thrive!
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

In this week's Autosport, there's a small article on the plight of Senna and Chandhok. It says 'the well-backed Japanese will remain in a race seat for at least the next two grands prix. It is believed that he has brought over $2 million to the team already."

Could just be personal backers, family wealth, etc. Sponsorship doesn't always take the form of stickers on the side of a car.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

AndreaModa wrote:In this week's Autosport, there's a small article on the plight of Senna and Chandhok. It says 'the well-backed Japanese will remain in a race seat for at least the next two grands prix. It is believed that he has brought over $2 million to the team already."

Could just be personal backers, family wealth, etc. Sponsorship doesn't always take the form of stickers on the side of a car.

True! There was that story about it being a birthday present from his Mother!

(At what point, I wonder, does he stop being a pay driver & become part team owner). :shock:
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

YRT? Yamamoto Racing Team?
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

I like this idea! Now every team must have 3 drivers who compete for their spots. If one doesn't perform, the other one gets put in and vice versa. It would get a ton more rejects, that's for sure! And pay drivers, as this Yamamoto thing shows.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Myrvold wrote:YRT? Yamamoto Racing Team?

Be a yert......your country needs yerts....

I wonder how wealthy the Ide family are...
mario

Post by mario »

eagleash wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:In this week's Autosport, there's a small article on the plight of Senna and Chandhok. It says 'the well-backed Japanese will remain in a race seat for at least the next two grands prix. It is believed that he has brought over $2 million to the team already."

True! There was that story about it being a birthday present from his Mother!

(At what point, I wonder, does he stop being a pay driver & become part team owner). :shock:

Whilst not a team owner, Yamamoto's wallet is already beginning to direct strategy at HRT, it seems. Instead of part team owner, you could compare Yamamoto to the eminence grise - whilst not officially in charge, he is in effect setting the drivers policy of the team, as long as his sponsorship holds out.

Now, the last minute decision to replace Senna in Silverstone becomes clear, as Kolles is clearly trying to play each driver off against each other, in the hope of squeezing either more performance or money out of them. Even so, as Enforcer points out, you could put the greatest driver in that car and perhaps, if you were lucky, get ahead of Virgin Racing; it is going to take money, better facilities, more experienced staff and time to haul that car up the grid - all things that HRT don't have at their disposal at the moment.

That said, whilst it may be helping the team in the short run, these sorts of last minute decisions must be ruining the morale of the drivers (both of them are probably doing their best with that chronically underdeveloped pile of rubbish, only to be pushed aside when somebody turns up with a pile of cash), and the sponsors of those drivers must be getting a bit agitated if their drivers are being swapped about like lightbulbs (to use the old term that Sir Frank Williams used to describe his drivers). And it can't be good for any of the drivers in terms of preparation - Yamamoto was, as he readily admitted, neither fully fit or prepared to drive at Silverstone, having only found out he would drive on Thursday evening.

The shame is, if Klien was able to get some money together, and was driving instead of Yamamoto, then I wouldn't object so much - at least Klien has shown that he has decent pace, and has the experience to be able to give much more detailed information about the set up.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
coops

Post by coops »

The worlds gone mad. An F1 bitch fight for the worst seat in F1.
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Chris Dagnall for the drive at spa???
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

What's really funny is how this is the F1 rejects forum, yet almost every member is pissed with Kolles for bringing back Yamamoto!

We should all hang our heads in shame...

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AndreaModa wrote:What's really funny is how this is the F1 rejects forum, yet almost every member is pissed with Kolles for bringing back Yamamoto!

Yeah, but he's replacing another reject... :?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

HRT will get an epic article on the site for sure. :D
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
mario

Post by mario »

dr-baker wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:What's really funny is how this is the F1 rejects forum, yet almost every member is pissed with Kolles for bringing back Yamamoto!

Yeah, but he's replacing another reject... :?

He also decided to replace Senna at the last minute for Silverstone, and has now dropped probably the most popular driver in the paddock (Chandhok seems to get on well with many of the other drivers, and is also very friendly with media organisations like the BBC - both he and Senna have spoken to the BBC regularly, and they even had a special feature done on them by the BBC).
OK, as far as Reject material goes, Yamamoto is a gold plated F1 Reject - but even so, when you are replacing a very likeable driver, and haven't shown that much talent, people are going to feel a bit let down.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

One question: WHY THE HELL WOULD ANYONE SPONSOR YAMAMOTO OVER KOBAYASHI?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

watka wrote:One question: WHY THE HELL WOULD ANYONE SPONSOR YAMAMOTO OVER KOBAYASHI?!?!?!?!?!?!?

To see if his head will stay on...?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

Yamamoto is like an itch that keeps coming back. Why does he have sponsors in the first place? It's clear that he's not good enough for F1.
And to think he's more desired than Takuma Sato :x
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

A story appeared today (I think) that the Chandhok family have connections in high places (Ie Bernie : :evil:)
& that he controls the sponsorship money for Karun. According to this Chandhok was to be dropped for Silverstone when it was quietly "suggested" to the team that this may not be to their best advantage.
I cannot recall reading anything from this site before & have no idea as to it's veracity. It has appeared in "Google Reader" for sometime without me actually getting around to looking at it (!).

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns22439.html
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

dr-baker wrote:
watka wrote:One question: WHY THE HELL WOULD ANYONE SPONSOR YAMAMOTO OVER KOBAYASHI?!?!?!?!?!?!?

To see if his head will stay on...?

So that when his head does eventually fly off, and cameras accidentally zoom in on it, you get sponsor exposure from that, and we all know that motorsport fatalities draw lots of hits from Youtube... so when the bouncing helmet starts going, you see Yamamoto's helmet all decked out in his personal sponsors.

Just a thought. :D

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

One answer: why would Yamamoto's mum sponsor Kobayashi?

Another answer: zaibatsu relationships.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

eagleash wrote:A story appeared today (I think) that the Chandhok family have connections in high places (Ie Bernie : :evil:)
& that he controls the sponsorship money for Karun. According to this Chandhok was to be dropped for Silverstone when it was quietly "suggested" to the team that this may not be to their best advantage.
I cannot recall reading anything from this site before & have no idea as to it's veracity. It has appeared in "Google Reader" for sometime without me actually getting around to looking at it (!).

Hmm interesting stuff, but that then begs the question if Bernie is supporting Chandhok, then why is he the one loosing his seat at Germany? Very confusing indeed...

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

AndreaModa wrote:
eagleash wrote:A story appeared today (I think) that the Chandhok family have connections in high places (Ie Bernie : :evil:)

Hmm interesting stuff, but that then begs the question if Bernie is supporting Chandhok, then why is he the one loosing his seat at Germany? Very confusing indeed...

He hasn't lost the seat until qualifying. Just a reminder. :mrgreen:

Henrique

Post by Henrique »

After Sakon Yamamoto gave a very positive performance in Silverstone...

What are they smoking?
Jordan192

Post by Jordan192 »

Henrique wrote:

What are they smoking?

I would just read that as "His cheque cleared".
I coined the term "Lewisteria". The irony is that I actually quite like Lewis Hamilton.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Henrique wrote:Yamamoto is like an itch that keeps coming back.

So is gonorrhea, but that doesn't mean I go encouraging it.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
mario

Post by mario »

Jordan192 wrote:
Henrique wrote:

What are they smoking?

I would just read that as "His cheque cleared".

:lol: I think that you may be onto something there.

However, there is just enough substance to support their claim - during qualifying, Yamamoto did close the gap to Chandhok to under 0.4s (he set a 1:36.968, compared to Chandhok's 1:36.576), so he had improved from being nearly 1s off him during the practise sessions. During the race, to be fair to him (especially as I'd slagged him off after his free practise performance), his pace was actually fairly comparable to Chandhok's, and at times he was marginally faster (his fastest lap, for example, was a 1:38.309, compared to Chandhok's 1:38.798). You can see F1 Fanatic's lap time charts here (alongside their charts showing each lap time here http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2010/07/11/b ... test-laps/ ).
I'm not exactly saying that he did a fantastic job - and to be honest, I think that Senna and Chandhok are better drivers - but I do think that overall his performance was not as bad as perhaps I'd first thought.