Only in a game.....

Archive for the three above subforums
Bort

Only in a game.....

Post by Bort »

I raced a 10 lap Grand Prix race of the Nordschleife in rFactor last night and Nelson Piquet Jnr won the race. :oops:
Cynon

Re: Only in a game.....

Post by Cynon »

Proof positive that the F1 mod you were driving in rFactor has very unrealistic AI. I think I know what mod you speak of, but seeing as I make Deletraz look like Nuvolari in rFactor... yeeeah...
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

I was playing F1 05 - bought it second-hand yesterday to keep me entertained these holidays, it's very challenging - and while doing a race at Sepang, Takuma Sato won, Christian Albers was second and Ralf Schumacher was third.

I also learned that Formula One drivers do not accelerate from the Mercedes Arena to the next left-hander at the Nurburgring. Both the AI and the driving aids see that you basically coast along for some strange reason. Turn the driving aids off, and you can pick up three seconds per lap.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

GP2 was my favourite. If you set the grid spread to 94 level (as opposed to random or all the same) Coulthard would win the Championship virtually without fail if you didn't stop him. Almost like they were saying, here's what Senna would've done if he hadn't be killed.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

On a variable race at Monaco on F1 2005 on the PS2 Coulthard won and Trulli was 2nd, as they pitted once for wet tyres and fuel and everyone else pitted twice for fuel and then wet tyres. On F1 2004 HWMNBM finished in the points a few times as well...
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

Enforcer wrote:GP2 was my favourite. If you set the grid spread to 94 level (as opposed to random or all the same) Coulthard would win the Championship virtually without fail if you didn't stop him. Almost like they were saying, here's what Senna would've done if he hadn't be killed.

OMG, I was thinking about that when this thread started! He did win the only championship I played in GP2. Guess it wasn't luck afterall :x
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

The qualifying in my 2007 F1C mod is interesting, the Super Aguris are more often than not in the top 10, and the BMWs are usually in the bottom 6. The sort themselves out in the race though.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

I have sometimes played F1 Championship Edition. The game is based on the beginning of 2006 season, so it includes Yuji Ide!

A bit of fun but there you have an option to set up the grid completely. So why not put worse drivers on top and better drivers behind. In short races Ide has often won from pole, followed by Speed, Albers and others.
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

In the gamecube version of f1 2002 Takuma Sato and the Toyotas regularly score points whilst the saubers and renault/bennetons are appaling. I sat there in shock as I looked behind me to see Sato weave through the two Williams as if they were standing still, Salo was 3rd.... Guess there was a slight Japanese bias to that game, considering Sato and a Toyota also appear on the box art.
Message me on Discord.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Henrique wrote:
Enforcer wrote:GP2 was my favourite. If you set the grid spread to 94 level (as opposed to random or all the same) Coulthard would win the Championship virtually without fail if you didn't stop him. Almost like they were saying, here's what Senna would've done if he hadn't be killed.

OMG, I was thinking about that when this thread started! He did win the only championship I played in GP2. Guess it wasn't luck afterall :x

I had one excellent 3 Championship way battle with him and Schumacher (I had Berger's Ferrari, although you can drive a Pacific to victory in that game), it remained even because I ran into one or the other of them 4 races in a row mid-season. :oops: To top it off I did Schumacher's little trick on Hill at Adelaide, (it was identical), on him, but we both kept going and I won.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Earlier today I was doing a 60 lap race around Silverstone on GP4 in Hakkinen's McLaren and I took a 38 second victory over Olivier Panis with Alesi in the Jordan 3rd, Fisichella in 4th, Villeneuve 5th and Bernoldi rounding out the points. :oops:

That's what happens if you start playing with the settings :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Enrique Bernoldi

Post by Enrique Bernoldi »

Wizzie wrote:Earlier today I was doing a 60 lap race around Silverstone on GP4 in Hakkinen's McLaren and I took a 38 second victory over Olivier Panis with Alesi in the Jordan 3rd, Fisichella in 4th, Villeneuve 5th and Bernoldi rounding out the points. :oops:

That's what happens if you start playing with the settings :lol:

On GP3 I used to switch the setting from 1998 levels to "all the same", so you'd get popular rejects such as Tora Takagi, Shinji Nakano and Ricardo Rosset finishing on the podium :D
Supporting the guys at the back since 1999. :)
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

I was playing F1 05 again; Massa won in Monza while Sato won in Hungary. Then I finally got a full-season drive and won the first three races. It wasn't easy in the Williams, either!
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

I found the career mode easy, in the McLaren it was hard not to win, I won in Malaysia from last on the grid.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

In F1 06 while I scored 14 points in a season for Super Aguri, Alonso won all but two races. The other two were won by Ralf and Christian Klien who beat Scott Speed at Monaco. A strange incident did cause 3/4 of the field to retire though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvSfPtD_w3o&feature=channel_page
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

In GP2 using a 99 carset with my own team, MDK F1 - Citroen(rebadged peugeots) i had a couple of memorable races including 1 where i deliberatly started from the back at the hungaroring and won by 7 laps.....
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

WeirdKerr wrote:In GP2 using a 99 carset with my own team, MDK F1 - Citroen(rebadged peugeots) i had a couple of memorable races including 1 where i deliberatly started from the back at the hungaroring and won by 7 laps.....

Oh my... even my dominations aren't that complete. Starting last at Montreal and I won by over a minute even though I did 4 stops (one was for a problem and the rest was for a 3 stop stratagy) while everyone esle was on 1 or 2 stop stratagies
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

On Intermediate difficulty in Formula One 97, I won the Hockenheim GP (5-lap race) whilst driving Jarno Trulli's Minardi. Not only that, but I skipped qualifying so I started 22nd and last, and then at the end of the first lap I unintentionally crashed with Diniz (stupid AI NEVER gives you enough way when overtaking) and lost my front wing. Despite of this, I was able to move up in the ranking and eventually won the race with a 0.190s margin to Berger (I overtook him in the start of the straight between the Senna chicane and Agip curve and led him with a comfortable margin at the end of the 2nd sector, but he catched me back up in the stadium section). The trick here was that both the driving physics and rules (no matter how hard you'd want, the game won't penalise you from cutting the track) allowed me to blast through the chicanes almost flat-out. :mrgreen:
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
crazydude1992

Post by crazydude1992 »

I also had one interesting, I was driving in F1 Challenge 99-02 on PC in Tarso Marques's 2001 Minardi in Hockenheim. I was running 12th with a bit of a train infront of me. Then in the last corner Jarno Trulli :mrgreen: had an engine failure, and because the game doesnt penalise you if you overtake someone on a yellow flag, I leapfrogged into 5th :mrgreen:
Artificial intelligence is no match for F1 rejectdom.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

I remember playing F1 1999 it allowed you to cut the corner once before penalising you. So I'm Frentzen running in 3rd on the last lap, I go through the shortcut at the chicane (the one before the fast chicane and the last sector, I think its turn 8 and 9) and pass Irvine to win the race.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Debaser wrote:I remember playing F1 1999 it allowed you to cut the corner once before penalising you. So I'm Frentzen running in 3rd on the last lap, I go through the shortcut at the chicane (the one before the fast chicane and the last sector, I think its turn 8 and 9) and pass Irvine to win the race.

What race?
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

Melbourne, sorry for not mentioning it.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Regarding corner-cutting I remember one incident in F1 2002 (PS2) where I was running 3rd on the last lap. I knew it was going to be stop/go penalty if you cut the chicane. But given the position I cut the final chicane at Montreal, overtaking Barrichello for 2nd.

The final result was quite interesting: No one got 6 points! I was playing a season.
lemon_martini2

Post by lemon_martini2 »

I managed to excel myself playing Formula 1 '97. It was an incredibly close finish as we went over the line and I just came second...As the results sheet gave full times and not just gaps to the leader,I was credited second with a race time something like 0.125 quicker than that of the winner. .. :roll:
Waris

Post by Waris »

Bleu wrote:Regarding corner-cutting I remember one incident in F1 2002 (PS2) where I was running 3rd on the last lap. I knew it was going to be stop/go penalty if you cut the chicane. But given the position I cut the final chicane at Montreal, overtaking Barrichello for 2nd.

The final result was quite interesting: No one got 6 points! I was playing a season.

What did happen??
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

No one finished 2nd.
MaxZero

Post by MaxZero »

F1 06 on the PS2, i've tried playing about with a completely reversed grid before
The Midlands, Super Aguris and Toro Rossos are usually all overtaken after a few laps but the frontrunners (Renault, McLaren & Ferrari) cant quite pass the Hondas who cant quite pass the Williams & Toyotas who cant quite pass the Red Bulls whom cant get past the BMW's, causing a very slow snake and allowing Hiedfeld and Villeneuve on the podium.

Crashing out of a race also sees points allocated almost randomly, a Midland got a 6th at Monaco after i buggerd the front half of my car trying to overtake even tho it was absolutely nowhere near, and Mark Webber in the Williams has won a few races when i've retired from other races
Alianora La Canta

Post by Alianora La Canta »

In Grand Prix 3's 2000 expansion pack, I won a three-lap race at Monza (in Fisichella's Benneton). The two Jaguars were second and third. This looked positively normal compared to Bernoldi, Heidfeld and Michael Schumacher rounding out the points (to be fair, Schumacher had been slowed by Gené reaching second before using Michael's car as a brake at the second chicane...)

In the game's defence, I'd turned "random performances" on...
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

Only now have I gotten around to doing the Arcade Challenge in Formula 1 98. While playing it, I took a look at the driver information of Tora Takagi. Listed as his least favourite circuit is "Circuits where I have no hope of winning." In F1, wouldn't this have been every circuit?
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

In F1 2001 (Sony) for the PS1 you had pretty stupid performances. No matter what the starting grid were, at the end of the first lap you would always get the Ferraris, the McLarens, the Benettons (¡!), Montoya and Heidfeld in the first 8 positions, with Frentzen a little bit behind them.

And in F1 2000 (EA), which is probably the F1 game I've played the most, the AI cars would retire when you were running close to them, ie., if you were following Häkkinen for a couple of three laps at the beginning of the race, he would retire, but if you were running at the back behind the Minardis, then the Minardis would retire :lol:

I also remember that the drivers would make mistakes in that game, like blocking their tyres, hitting each other, or even spinning. That's why the fools of Studio Liverpool made me angry every time they said that they couldn't put that kind of behaviour into their PS2 F1 games because the console couldn't manage all the 20 cars doing that. What a load of b*lls*it, when the PS1 could do it... It's like having a Safety Car, they had it in PS1 but didn't in PS2.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
FloProAct

Post by FloProAct »

I was playing F1 Grand Prix on my PSP recently and was struck by the apparent randomness of quali. In one race Massa was third on the grid and in the race (its based on the 05 season) and in another race Freisacher qualified 7th and finished in 6th!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

On F1 05, if you were to retire midway through a race with pitstops enabled, in a 6 lap race..somehow it all went to hell with the standings. You would have Alonso, Kimi, Schumi etc finishing 2 laps down and a Podium consisting of Sato, Albers and Liuzzi! Was very messed up indeed.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Whenver I was a test driver on F104, at the British Grand Prix, the top 4 would often be
1.Heidfeld
2.Bruni
3.Pantano
4.HWNSNBM

That would be good as Heidfeld would finally win a Grand Prix and the others would escape Reject Status.

Oh, and the final constructors standing would always be

1. Ferrari
2. Williams BMW
3. BAR Honda
4. Renault
5. Jaguar/Toyota
6. Toyota/Jaguar
7. Mclaren Mercedes
8. Jordan Ford
9. Minardi Cosworth
10. Sauber Petronas
I like the way Snrub thinks!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

haha. Stupid McLaren.

What does HWNSNBM mean anyway?

Image Image
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

kostas22 wrote: What does HWNSNBM mean anyway?

He Whose Name Shall Not Be Mentioned, an alias for a previously over-referenced Hungarian driver.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

So its against Forum Rules to say Z***t B********r?

Image Image
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

You're pushing your luck, my friend.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

kostas22 wrote:haha. Stupid McLaren.

What does HWNSNBM mean anyway?

He Whose Name Shall Not Be Mentioned.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

On F106 at Monaco, I spun the 1st placed car at the Loews Hairpin, which caused the track to be completely blocked. The computer opponents kept revving their engines until they blew up. The positions were based the order the cars blew up, which meant BOTH Super Aguris were on the podium behind me. The Toro Rossos, the Midlands and Klien's Red Bull rounded out the points positions
This is a cool spot.
Waris

Post by Waris »

MinardiFan95 wrote:On F106 at Monaco, I spun the 1st placed car at the Loews Hairpin, which caused the track to be completely blocked. The computer opponents kept revving their engines until they blew up. The positions were based the order the cars blew up, which meant BOTH Super Aguris were on the podium behind me. The Toro Rossos, the Midlands and Klien's Red Bull rounded out the points positions

You wouldn't happen to have recorded a video of that would you??
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS