Submit A Reject

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Submit A Reject

Post by FullMetalJack »

F1Rejects closed this section so I thought I'd open a folder for it, I thought i'd suggest Tarquini, a very talented driver who gave AGS one of their two points, he deserved better machinery.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Ide

Re: Submit A Reject

Post by Ide »

It's a no-brainer for me! :P
Just check the alias :P
If there's a car to crash in your neighbourhood,
Who you gonna call?
Yuji Ide!
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Hmmm... Indeed. Mr. Tarquini has but a single World Championship point, I thought he had more than that. So he's a good call. Was around F1 for a good while, it'd be interesting to know why he never got a half decent car to work with.

Other than that, Tommy Byrne would be good. But there's not much else to know about him that isn't in his autobiography.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

I've been thinking about writing an entry about Michael Bleekemolen now for a long time. I used to work for him on one of his indoor go kart tracks, and I've seen him race at the Zandvoort track quite often. So maybe, if I find the time.

Tommy Byrne shouldn't be to hard to do now, with his book in hand.
Gianmaria Bruni is also reject material, although he isn't a bad driver.

I don't know how Jamie and Enoch feel about some of us helping out writing and updating profiles? I would completely understand it if they want to keep it to a minimum, to preserve a certain style. But on the other hand, some profiles could do with a little updating (as mentioned in the Saturday podcast).
"A Ferrari is a scaled down version of God" - Jeremy Clarkson
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Antonio Pizzonia is another good one, total disaster of a career. Or Pantano.

Yes, I can see why they ended up closing the submission section of the website.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Julian Bailey?
Anthony Davidson?
Bernie F***in' Ecclestone?
Gimax?
Brian Henton?

OK, and that's just halfway through H on this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Formula_One_drivers
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Christijan Albers.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

thehemogoblin wrote:Julian Bailey?
Anthony Davidson?
Gimax?
Brian Henton?

OK, and that's just halfway through H on this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Formula_One_drivers

You can't have the Stig from Top Gear as an F1 reject... oh wait the first one's already here.
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

Enforcer wrote:Or Pantano.

Well, Pantano's story is kind of sad. He was GP2 champion and was all happy about it, thinking he would get another shot at F1. In the end, he got the dubious honor of becoming the first driver not to go to F1 after becoming GP2 champion.

I'm still waiting for Bernie Ecclestone's profile :)
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Enforcer wrote:
Anthony Davidson?
Gimax?
Brian Henton?

You can't have the Stig from Top Gear as an F1 reject... oh wait the first one's already here.

Forgive me, for I am a bloody American, and therefore, I am deprived of Top Gear.
Life w12

Post by Life w12 »

If I were to submit a driver I would submit Scott Speed, too bad he's now lost in the land of Neckcar
senorsoupe

Post by senorsoupe »

I think that Markus Winklehock's story would be a good one for the site. In his one and only start he leads the race in the lousiest car!!!
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

senorsoupe wrote:I think that Markus Winklehock's story would be a good one for the site. In his one and only start he leads the race in the lousiest car!!!

Oh, he got screwed with everything... I don't see why Farce India ran Fisichella over him and Sutil over Liuzzi to be honest.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Life w12 wrote:If I were to submit a driver I would submit Scott Speed, too bad he's now lost in the land of Neckcar

Don't worry, he's doing his career in NASCAR justice -- he sucks there, too.

What about Caroll Shelby?
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Jimmy Magnusson

Post by Jimmy Magnusson »

thehemogoblin wrote:
senorsoupe wrote:I think that Markus Winklehock's story would be a good one for the site. In his one and only start he leads the race in the lousiest car!!!

Oh, he got screwed with everything... I don't see why Farce India ran Fisichella over him and Sutil over Liuzzi to be honest.

Money... Sutil brings Medion sponsorship to Spyker/Force India/VanuatuF1 as far as I know. Having Fisi in the team makes sense, and experienced hand always helps.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Jimmy Magnusson wrote:
thehemogoblin wrote:

Money... Sutil brings Medion sponsorship to Spyker/Force India/VanuatuF1 as far as I know. Having Fisi in the team makes sense, and experienced hand always helps.

Still, Liuzzi over Fisichella? Liuzzi's still got experience, and if he did really well, he could have commanded a high fee for someone to buy out his contract.
Popi_Larrauri

Post by Popi_Larrauri »

Gabriele Tarquini (Roberto Moreno should be stripped from Japan 90 if only to be included in this thread) is a mastermind in terms of reject driver. And I seriously wonder why he have never been able to put his hands on decent machinery. AGS deserves some attention, too.

I add an Argentinean that got a little of a chance in Carlos Reutemann's times: Miguel Angel Guerra. He drove for Osella four entries, racking 3 DNQs and a DNF.

I'll try to get some info and submit to the site guys.

Markus Winkelhock sould have his only entry detailed lap to lap from qualyfing onwards in order to enhance his unbeliavable story in terms of F1. It would be named "How to make feel the "creme of F1" insanely inept in just 15 minutes"

PD: Osella deserves a MASSIVE article, and should be merged with the Fondmetal one.
Winners have lots of friends, losers have good friends.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I keep meaning to do an article on someone who isn't a reject (unless you count most races without a win - I think he still holds the record?) but who had a very reject-worthy season. I'm talking about Brundle in the Zakspeed in 1987. I'm halfway through his very good book where he talks about the great F1 tracks and what it's like to drive them and in amongst all the anecdotes has so far mentioned that year once, and only then in passing!
It would be great to get a bit more info. on that year - what do you reckon my chances of getting a reply are if I drop him an e-mail about it??!!
BB01

Post by BB01 »

I'm going to submit Bernard De Dryver to the discussion. I don't know anything about him but what a great name for racing!
Last edited by BB01 on 07 Apr 2009, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Barbazza wrote:I keep meaning to do an article on someone who isn't a reject (unless you count most races without a win - I think he still holds the record?) but who had a very reject-worthy season. I'm talking about Brundle

He still holds it - unless Heidfeld doesn't win this season and drives all of the GP's.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Actually, I've just seen you guys mention in the 'Friday drivers' thread about liking drivers with unusual names, so how about a man with as many Zs in his name as my hero, namely Renzo Zorzi?

I think he got 1 point for Shadow IIRC and it would be interesting to find out if he had ever said anything about the horrendous fatal accident for his then team mate Tom Pryce given that his car retiring was the trigger for the whole sorry sequence of events.
Chilled Phill

Post by Chilled Phill »

Barbazza wrote:Actually, I've just seen you guys mention in the 'Friday drivers' thread about liking drivers with unusual names, so how about a man with as many Zs in his name as my hero, namely Renzo Zorzi?

I think he got 1 point for Shadow IIRC and it would be interesting to find out if he had ever said anything about the horrendous fatal accident for his then team mate Tom Pryce given that his car retiring was the trigger for the whole sorry sequence of events.

Indeed. A sad day for both the Pryce and Van Vuuren family, indeed. :(

Thankfully, Pryce had his podium finishes so he's okay for escaping F1 Reject-dom (even if fatal accident drivers were to be included.)

Still, like I said in a previous topic: Tommy Byrne. Seriously, thise guy has a great story to tell and I'm sure Enoch and Jamie would love to tell it from their perspective. ;)
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Here's one that you'd probably enjoy writing:

Brett Lunger... See his wikipedia page, because I'm too lazy to C&P or explain.
Pedro_Diniz

Post by Pedro_Diniz »

Alex Yoong - he was genuinely a pile of .... He was consistently off the pace and could barely keep up with his team-mate :roll:
Last edited by Kuwashima on 10 Apr 2009, 15:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Hey - when we discuss F1 Rejects, we keep it respectful and reverent!!
Kimi: "I was having a sheeet."
Life w12

Post by Life w12 »

Pedro_Diniz wrote:Alex Yoong - he was genuinely a pile of .... He was consistently off the pace and could barely keep up with his team-mate :roll:

He already there dude
http://f1rejects.com/drivers/yoong/index.html
Bort

Post by Bort »

Pedro_Diniz wrote:Alex Yoong - he was genuinely a pile of .... He was consistently off the pace and could barely keep up with his team-mate :roll:

One of the first computer games I ever worked on was Grand Prix Challenge on the PS2 and we had the honor of getting to have Alex Yoong in our game.
:|
runningboots

Post by runningboots »

Enforcer wrote:
Anthony Davidson?
Gimax?
Brian Henton?

I thought it was Perry McCarthy ? :?

Julian Bailey would be a good profile though. Sold his pub to finance a move to Jim Clark Cup Champions Tyrrell only for them to have a hopeless car, which was improved by putting in, literally, a gap of 6 inches somewhere at the back to lengthen the wheelbase.

Little known fact, he qualified the Nissan WPSC (89 or 90) with a hangover shortly after falling off the pitwall after "losing his balance".
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Mohammed Ben Sulayem

From Autosport:

Multiple Middle Eastern Rally Champion Mohammed Ben Sulayem brought his involvement in Renault's Formula 1 roadshow in Dubai to an early end on Thursday, when he smashed up an R28 in a sizeable accident.

Ben Sulayem was taking part in a drag race with a Ford GT driven by Renault test driver Romain Grosjean at the Dubai Autodrome when he lost control of the car.

Having had huge wheelspin off the line, the Renault suddenly snapped right into the pitwall, nearly collecting the Ford GT, before skidding to a halt down the track. The car suffered heavy front end damage, as well as the left rear wheel getting ripped from the car.

All right, so he wasn't in GP racing, but that's a reject if I ever saw one!

Source: http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/74372
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Pedro_Diniz

Post by Pedro_Diniz »

Life w12 wrote:

He already there dude
http://f1rejects.com/drivers/yoong/index.html

Ah, thanks! Somehow I'd never seen him listed (such is his irrelevance!).
Kimi: "I was having a sheeet."
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Because I'm sad, I actually made a list of some drivers, back when the writers were still accepting submissions. Let's see:

Zsolt Baumgartner
Enrique Bernoldi
Luciano Burti
Martin Donnelly
Robert Doornbos
Tomas Enge
Ralph Firman
John Fitch
Patrick Friesacher
Naoki Hattori
Nicolas Kiesa
Pedro Lamy
Vitantonio Liuzzi
Jan Magnussen
Franck Montagny
Max Papis
Alessandro Pesenti-Rossi
Roland Ratzenberger
Toranosuke Takagi
Justin Wilson
Sakon Yamamoto
Last edited by Faustus on 15 Apr 2009, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Emmanuel Collard.
Ben Gilbert

Post by Ben Gilbert »

I think David Purley, one of the mid seventies privateers, deserves a mention, for this:

1- He was in the Royal Paratroopers before he started racing in F1 (maybe the army wasn't dangerous enough?).

2- He gave up his own race in Netherlands '73 to try and save Roger Williamson, a man who he did not know, but saw burning in his car. Probably one of the saddest videos ever recorded is the footage of David trying first to turn the March back upright, and then put the fire out, while the marshals stood watching unable to help.

3- David Purley holds a record. At Silverstone in '77, his LEC (a possible reject team) chassis left the road, and slammed into the barriers. In terms of g force, this the biggest ever sports accident, at 198g. The car was a write-off, and David suffered over 30 broken bones, and 6 heart stoppages, but still survived.

Plus the fact that according to someone close to him, Purley had a real talent for racing, but had no clue what was going on. He would say stuff like there was a red car coming uo behind him, before being reminded that it was a ferrari, and he should get out of its way.

His team, LEC Refrigeration, could also be a reject team. 10 races entered, 5 with a rented March, and the others with their own CRP01 chassis, and all were driven by Purley.

Enforcer wrote:Hmmm... Indeed. Mr. Tarquini has but a single World Championship point, I thought he had more than that. So he's a good call. Was around F1 for a good while, it'd be interesting to know why he never got a half decent car to work with.

Tarquini would also be a good reject, as he is the TRUE holder of Piercarlo Ghinzani's record.

Piercarlo Ghinzani- 0.018 points per race
Gabriele Tarquini- 0.013 points per race

(sorry if I'm stepping on Jamie's and Enoch's toes there)
Last edited by Ben Gilbert on 15 Apr 2009, 20:20, edited 2 times in total.
Cynon wrote:Look further down the field, enjoy the view of the little guys and/or crap drivers in cars too good for them giving their all for a meager result.

Because that's what I thought this forum celebrates the most.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

I've remembered another one. The great Mario Araujo Cabral, also known as 'Nicha' Cabral, my countryman and the first Portuguese driver to enter a Formula 1 race. All-round gentleman and a very complete racing driver.
Hmmm... maybe I should contact a few people I know and see if I can arrange an interview with him. Definitely worth thinking about.
crazydude1992

Post by crazydude1992 »

Bernie Ecclestone
Gabriele Tarquini
Jan Magnussen
Tony Trimmer
Artificial intelligence is no match for F1 rejectdom.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Faustus wrote:I've remembered another one. The great Mario Araujo Cabral, also known as 'Nicha' Cabral, my countryman and the first Portuguese driver to enter a Formula 1 race. All-round gentleman and a very complete racing driver.
Hmmm... maybe I should contact a few people I know and see if I can arrange an interview with him. Definitely worth thinking about.

Excellent idea. Nicha used to write a column for a sports newspaper, some 15 years ago or so, and even back then he said decrease downforce and increase tyre grip. He also suggested going back to iron brakes and increasing car weights - very important, since we're discussing KERS' implications nowadays.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Nuppiz wrote:
Barbazza wrote:I keep meaning to do an article on someone who isn't a reject (unless you count most races without a win - I think he still holds the record?) but who had a very reject-worthy season. I'm talking about Brundle

He still holds it - unless Heidfeld doesn't win this season and drives all of the GP's.

I thought it was de Cesaris who held the "most races without a win" record? I think Brundle's record is most races without a win, a pole or a fastest lap.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Paul Hayes wrote:
Nuppiz wrote:

I thought it was de Cesaris who held the "most races without a win" record? I think Brundle's record is most races without a win, a pole or a fastest lap.

Aah, so it was. The record that Heidfeld holds is most points and podiums without a win. From active drivers, he's also driven the most GP's without a win.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Already posted here I know but Bernie has to be a reject, and not just for his driving...

And the biggest reject driver of the past 10 or so years has to be Jan Magnussen. He had reject written all over him since finishing 10th in a McLaren on his debut. At least that's what I thought at the time. Has he quit the cancer sticks yet?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Magnussen's case is ironic... his last race, he scored his first point, and then got unceremoniously booted from Stewart.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

To be honest on Magnussen, McLaren's 1995 car was quite awful. In his first and only race that year he finished 2.5 seconds behind regular driver Blundell which was not too bad for a debutant, although Blundell wasn't top driver either.

His 1997 season was awful (would have been obvious candidate for RotR that year if this site had been back then), reliability problems took lot of him but he had real pace in two events: Austria and Nürburgring. Things weren't going much better in 1998 either, but he had luck in Canada and finished 6th, just ahead of Shinji Nakano in Minardi (btw, had Nakano finished ahead, he would have escaped reject status)

Jan's son (he became father at the age of 19) Kevin has done quite well so far in his career. Driving in Formula Renault Northern European Cup and Eurocup at the moment, got two podiums in NEC opening weekend.
Last edited by Bleu on 22 Apr 2009, 11:28, edited 2 times in total.