Your Reject of the Race - Turkey

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Ross Prawn

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Turkey

Post by Ross Prawn »

Actually it appears that KERS is the reject of the race :!: --- http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsp ... 088272.stm
"Other than the car behind and the driver who might get a bit startled with the sudden explosion in front, it really isn't a major safety issue from that point of view,"
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Totally copping your "world champions" answer, Ross.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I'll add another vote for Rubens, everything just seemed to go wrong for him whether it be his own fault or the teams, and he was just well off the pace of Button.

2nd place for me goes to Bourdais; last in qualifying, and last in the race. Toro Rosso seemed to have just been overtaken by everyone now, and I think Bourdais has done enough for everyone to agree that he'll never do anything special in F1 (I don't think he did that bad last year).

3rd place goes to Hamilton, simply for being outqualified by Force India's Sutil. In the race, he was slow as well, but you can expect that with as car as crap as the McLaren, and a full fuel tank.

Finally, would anyone like to see Piquet in another team? I'd say he could definitely go faster in a Williams or BMW Sauber simply because he'll get more attention.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
nit

Post by nit »

Captain Hammer wrote:Barrichello is the obvious choice, but I'm going to take an easy shot here and nominate Giancarlo Fisichella for yet another early exit from Istanbul.

Give some credit to Giancarlo he did manage not to mess up the first corner!! rotr hmmm its a hard one but i want to say my chair as it broke :( it was such a good chair!!! but the rotr has to be............................................... the williams pit crew for messing up on Kazuki Nakajima pit stop as he was dead certain to finish in the points.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Dropping KERS for 2010 makes perfect business sense as part of the cost cutting model. Dave Richards will be relieved by these news. It's a very strong statement in favor of awarding the Reject Of the Year award to it, which would be the first time an object, or rather a concept receives it.

As for ROTR, has there been any memorable performance by a Renault driver during this race? No, they were THE anonymous midfielders today. Even McLaren, though really bad for their standards, showed their capability when Barrichello tried to bounce back. Instead, he bounced into the back of Sutil, scoring a point in the Nosecone Destruction Championship. But this was just the icing on the foul cake. Clutch troubles at the start and a badly configured gear shift with effectively no 7th gear on a track with quite a few long straights meant he was not to recover from his bad start. Bad luck. It makes him the most obvious candidate for ROTR, because this result severly compromises his drivers championship hopes, just like the Monaco result did to Vettel's campaign.

Another strong looking nominee for ROTR would be "Overtaking - or a lack thereof". As good results as the overtaking working group's efforts have shown in all previous races of this season, especially Australia, there was seemingly nothing left of it anymore in Kurtkoy. No going back and forth whilst racing in packs of 3 or 4.

As always, Enoch and Jamie, you must decide for yourself, and I'm pretty sure you hand out the award to just the right entity.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

ROTR: Reubens Barichello for his rather poor performance but as Brundle said the guys he was fighting should have given him a bit more racing room. His car didn't help either with the crappy start and the gearbox problem. McLaren were a close 2nd. 13th and 14th with one of their drivers lapped isn't normal for a team that was in the championship hunt last year.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Ridge Racer wrote:I have to go with Piquet because he just doesn't seem to want to try to be anything more than mediocre.

Yes, because holding an aggressive dive around the outside of the reigning World Champion and then setting yourself up so that you'll get the position two corners later is the very definition of medioce. While it smacked of bravado, that was one of the best moves of the year, even if Piquet minced it going through turn tirteen (but that set him up to have the racing line into fourteen, so it's foregiveable).

Th above just adds weight to my theory that people nominate Piquet based on his past performances rather than the one he just gave.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

Sure Barrichello drove bad, but I am nominating Team McLaren[/b] not only as RotR thanks for another unexplainably bad performance (They weren't this bad even during the bad days of post-senna), but I am also voting McLare as RotY.
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
LukeB

Post by LukeB »

Captain Hammer wrote:Th above just adds weight to my theory that people nominate Piquet based on his past performances rather than the one he just gave.

If ROTR isn't about petty minded vindictiveness against drivers we take a dislikeing to, then what the hell is it about? :D
Making up the numbers
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

LukeB wrote:If ROTR isn't about petty minded vindictiveness against drivers we take a dislikeing to, then what the hell is it about? :D

Petty-minded vindictiveness against drivers we take a disliking too based on their woeful performances, moments of brain fade or sheer idiocy on-track and off. Aside from a brake failure and having a bit of a nothing race, Piquet did nothing wrong, and made up for it with his pass on Hamilton and by doing so well in third practice. The fact that he's Nelson Piquet is not grounds enough for Reject of the Race; sure, he might be a poor driver, but I believe that is more Flavio Briatore's fault than Piquet's. There were bigger mistakes in Istanbul than Piquet's performance: Fisichella, McLaren, Barrichello, Vettel's strategist, etc.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
StoneColdSpider

Post by StoneColdSpider »

Piquet Jr??... naa he pulled off the overtaking manouver of the race and maybe even the season so far...
Rubens Barrichello??.. naa hes getting the 2nd best of everything these days like when he drove for Ferrari ;)

i vote McLaren another pointless race and another race that see Hamilton getting lapped... he also got overtaken by Piquet Jr to rub salt into the wound....
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Captain Hammer mentioned Vettel's strategist; I've been thinking about it as well. It's at least the second time Vettel loses out and finishes behind Australia's Mark Webber on the grounds of strategy. And Vettel himself has been a little too feisty, too racy for his own good. All the talk about fighting for the WDC is getting to those guys! But I'm still voting for Barrichello this time around, based on my own petty dislike of him.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Sitorimon

Post by Sitorimon »

Although there's been some great mentions I'll toss another one in: Bourdais - last almost all the way and completely anon all weekend. He's not helping himself :|
My FSR League team is F1-Reject sponsored!!!
BackMarker Brigade - 11GPs, 4DNQ's, 2Pts Finishes!
Jack O Malley

Post by Jack O Malley »

My votes for Barrichello (enough said), McLaren (no pace, no improvement) and Bourdais (for running last all the weekend)
...and to Fisichella, for NOT screwing it at the first corner, delivering us an absolutely dull, boring race. :(

Vettel's strategy is a good candidate as well, that made him lose even the 2nd place.
Sorry guys, I had a little outing.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Jack O Malley wrote:...and to Fisichella, for NOT screwing it at the first corner, delivering us an absolutely dull, boring race. :(

Actually, Sutil should get that one. Starting from 15th, he had greater possibilities to cause a one mighty trouble, had he tried hard enough.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
bigslydoc

Post by bigslydoc »

Quite a few you could nominate this race. My top three would be:

In third: Rubens Barrichello
Button starts second and wins, Rubens starts third and ends up in about 15th before his car prevents the ignonimity of finishing that low. I don't know if Brawn has any kind of orders or preferential treatment yet, I suspect not, but Rubens can certainly expect them soon if he doesn't pick his game up.

Runner up reject: Vettel's pitwall
For trying to out-brawn Ross Brawn.

Reject of the race: McLaren-Mercedes
They looked more competitive in the first couple of races than they have of late. Not even Hamilton can buff up that piece of rubbish now.
PROUDLY NON-FERRARI SINCE 1990
Nin13

Post by Nin13 »

McLaren Mercedes haven’t scored in the last three races.
That hasn’t happened since 2004, when David Coulthard and Kimi Raikkonen finshed out of the top eight in Spain, Monaco and Canada.

So reject should be MCLAREN.............
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER FAN.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

I'm going to add The Organisers to the list, because they barely managed to fill 28% of the seats: just 36,000 people over three days at a circuit that can old up to 130,000.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

[quote="Captain Hammer"]Barrichello is the obvious choice, but I'm going to take an easy shot here and nominate Giancarlo Fisichella for yet another early exit from Istanbul.
quote]

Fisichella's early exit wasn't his fault, he retired because of brake troubles. It has to be Barrichello, anything that could have gone wrong did. Webber and Vettel are catching up as well now.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Nin13 wrote:McLaren Mercedes haven’t scored in the last three races.
That hasn’t happened since 2004, when David Coulthard and Kimi Raikkonen finshed out of the top eight in Spain, Monaco and Canada.

So reject should be MCLAREN.............

You mean Europe, Kimi and DC finished 5th and 6th respectively at Canada after the disqualifications.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
lostpin

Post by lostpin »

Definetly Barrichello. He was a whiner from the start of the championship, he's been filling the press with poor excuses, team mistakes and bad luck as if he's not the one who's making all the crap. Why Button never has any problems with the clutch? I don't see Button slamming into other racers or spinning around... This race sums it all up and a rotr is fully deserved..:)
Alianora La Canta

Post by Alianora La Canta »

I'd like to nominate Max Mosley for continuing his ridiculous 2010 regulations, but that's not really Turkey-specific.

Instead, I will nominate Bernie. At a track he owns, he couldn't get the necessary people and systems in place to even half-fill the stands. At least he will do better than that at Paul Ricard if it gets the French Grand Prix - having no spectator stands, it is guaranteed to be 100% full!
minrdi

Post by minrdi »

Sebastian Vettel's strategist is definitely a worthy candidate for not switching him to a 2nd-place-winning twop-stop satrategy. Quite why they thought they'd be able to make the margin needed over Button on a three-stopper (when historically this has never been possible at Turkey) is questionable indeed...

However, Rubens gets my vote for the race.

The accident with Kovalainen could easily have been avoided: Rubens had spent several laps behind the Finn and Heikki was clearly using it every lap along the back straight to defend against Rubens' advances into the final sequence of corners. On the lap prior to the collision, Heikki had to deploy KERS exiting the final corner and along the main straight to keep Rubens behind and would have pretty much exhausted KERS for when he needed it along the back straight. All Rubens had to do was wait and get him into the tight left-hander at the end of the back straight. Instead he attempts a clumsy move into Turn 9 from too far back and Heikki was always going to close the door. Rubens spin and drops further behind.

Faced with Sutil - not known for being overly cooperative being passed - he again sticks the front wing into a space it doesn't belong and promptly loses the end faring. Later a gearbox fault, and game over.

I feel sorry for Rubens in that the cards haven't fallen his way and that he feels unlucky. Luck in the F1 business is self-made through self-belief, and I haven't seen much of that from him. His recovery drive smacked of desperation, and he looked like an accident waiting to happen. I've seen other BRILLIANT drives from Rubens when he's been really on the money and just backed himself every which way: Britain 2003 immediately springs to mind. This wasn't a race where he demonstrated that at all: he looks and drives like a beaten man at the moment.
"The advantage of jumping the start is that you can get away a lot quicker." - Murray Walker

Editor, Richard's F1
Visit my F1 website at http://richardsf1.com
Exclusive news, reviews and interviews for F1, IndyCar, V8 Supercars and the WTCC
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

minrdi wrote: happen. I've seen other BRILLIANT drives from Rubens when he's been really on the money and just backed himself every which way:

Hockenhiem '00 springs to mind.
And I have to agree with you. He really is desperate to get out of Button's shadow and it showed... in all the wrong ways.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Ross Prawn

Post by Ross Prawn »

If you read this article http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75948 it seems that Ross Brawn has some doubts about the cause of Ruben's clutch problem. He implies it may be more of a foot problem.

Rubens for ROTR.
"Other than the car behind and the driver who might get a bit startled with the sudden explosion in front, it really isn't a major safety issue from that point of view,"
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

I vote Barrichello for ROTR for throwing away what was a sure podium -- it was a comedy of errors that was the main interest in the race for me.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.