Least talented F1 Driver Ever?

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
ImissJORDAN

Least talented F1 Driver Ever?

Post by ImissJORDAN »

Not that any of these guys lacked a certain amount of talent, after all, they could all whoop all of our asses, but who do you guys think is the least talented F1 driver ever? I've only had since 2003 to judge, and Yuji Ide sticks out for me. Having read all of the F1 rejects profiles, Deletraz and Langes also stand out to me, but I'd appreciate the opinion of one who saw these races, and lived through these eras.

-Ok, fair enough.. Sorry. :)-
Last edited by ImissJORDAN on 06 Apr 2009, 15:09, edited 2 times in total.
Hill - 1998 Belgian Grand Prix, Frentzen - 1999 French Grand Prix, 1999 Italian Grand Prix, Fisichella - 2003 Brazilian Grand Prix
Captain Hammer

Re: Least talented F1 Driver Ever?

Post by Captain Hammer »

Ralf Schumacher.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

The worst? Well, Yuji Ide WAS an extremely awful driver. He was a danger to anyone near him, whilst Deletraz & Co. were slow, but at least not that dangerous drivers.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Yuji Ide. Yes, Deletraz wiggled his car about and stuff and was way off the pace, but it takes some real talent (or rather, lack of it!) to get your superlicense revoked for causing Christijan Albers to do a barrel roll on the first lap!
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
rffp

Post by rffp »

I was in Interlagos in 1992 and believe me, I saw the legend and only Giovanna Amati at her peak! At that time ouly 26 out of 30 qualified, so she would never get on the grid. She lacked all skills to be even a decent Formula 3 driver!
A fan of Roberto Pupo Moreno, the one and only, the legend!
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Ide did us all a favour when he sent Albers into the scenery. The man was an idiot, espeically in the way he took off with the fuelhose still attached and tried to blame it on the pit crew.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

The benefit that the Gentleman Drivers of the old days have over the Pay Drivers of the current era is that their deeds weren't documented nearly as well as those of the latter. That's why Ide-San's performances reach a higher count of votes than for example that of a small man who tried to qualify a Connaught for the 1958 Monaco GP but only scored 28th fastest with a time of 6' 05'' 0 minutes, when only 16 drivers would qualify and 2 drivers didn't set a time. http://www.statsf1.com/saisons/gp/grill ... gp=66&LG=1

That's why I can't decide. At least, Yuji Ide has shown in other series that he's a professional driver, but some of those gentleman drivers of the old era, whom probably nobody remembers, most certainly weren't too skilled after all.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

I think Ide was rushed into F1 by Aguri Suzuki simply so that Super Aguri could be a Japanese-owned team with Japaense-built cars piloted by Japanese-born drivers more than being a pay driver.
Kuwashima
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by Kuwashima »

Ladies and Gents - we don't like to talk about the 'worst' anything, unless it's our own site design. These guys deserve respect. Without them, this site would not exist, for one.

If we must discuss this issue - let's keep it on the topic of talent.

Which is itself a particularly murky issue when the reality is that F1 is as much about the machinery as the man. Having said that, of course some drivers were out of their depth at F1 level. You appear to have covered many of them above!!!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Ide or Deletraz, can't decide between the two.
Last edited by FullMetalJack on 15 Oct 2012, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Ide

Post by Ide »

For me it has to be the man who lends his name to my alias, Yuji Ide. I can't think of anyone who has had their Superlicense revoked and then not given back again! I would have said Al Pease, but it has to be said that F1 was different in the 60's and amateur drivers weren't rare.
Ide for me.
If there's a car to crash in your neighbourhood,
Who you gonna call?
Yuji Ide!
Nin13

Post by Nin13 »

Alex Yoong.............
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER FAN.
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

I put my money on Deletraz. Given the way he was lapped in Australia, I think he was just not ready for F1. Ide is pretty close, but I think he could have improved as he raced more, if he hadn't made that mistake with Albers.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

I don't think Ide was given enough of a shake, to be honest. In the only race he finished, the 2006 Australian Grand Prix, he was only three laps off of the pace... and he was saddled with an ancient car at that point.
UberOwnage

Post by UberOwnage »

Ide? You people haven't seen Super GT. Ide simply wasn't given prep time and he can't speak english.
NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITON.
runningboots

Post by runningboots »

A cruel topic as we all know that the car has soooo much to do with success.

For example, Chrstian Danner won the 1985 F3000 crown, but always drove rubbish F1 cars. He deserved that fourth in Phoenix 1989, even though 80% was attrition. On the flip side, who has driven for the top three teams in any year and been really pi$$ poor ?

I can only think of Johnny Dumfries (who did win Le Mans but was hopeless in F3000), Satoru Nakajima (multiple Japanese F2 champ a hero in Aussie GP rain), and Michael Andretti (proven to be great in Champ Cars).

Hmmm, they all had Senna as a teammete.... :?