Best Reject-team Liveries

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Best Reject-team Liveries

Post by DonTirri »

Seeing as we've discussed the worst non-reject liveries, I figured I'd flip it around and ask you: What in your opinion are the best looking liveries ever to grace a Reject-car?

My first submission is a livery that I've always had an odd liking of. The 1995 Pacific:

Second is another livery I've always thought looked great. the 1989 EuroBrun

Discuss!
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Irisado

Re: Best Reject-team Liveries

Post by Irisado »

I like both of those liveries. I've always liked the Pacific colours, especially with the subtle Lotus addition, and the orange was certainly an improvement for EuroBrun after that dirty shade of white they used in 1988.
My favourite teams: Minardi, Forti, Osella

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I find the Monteverdi liveries appealing in a strange way...

Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

watka wrote:I find the Monteverdi liveries appealing in a strange way...

That car just looks slow.
domi-kun

Post by domi-kun »

thehemogoblin wrote:

Who's driving the car in this picture, I don't recognize that helmet.
Jack O Malley

Post by Jack O Malley »

1996 Forti-Shannon wasn't that bad.
Last edited by Jack O Malley on 16 May 2009, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry guys, I had a little outing.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

I'd forgotten that Forti ever used a colour other than yellow that year.
Jack O Malley

Post by Jack O Malley »

Paul Hayes wrote:I'd forgotten that Forti ever used a colour other than yellow that year.

whoops, it was 1996, typo.
Last edited by Jack O Malley on 16 May 2009, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

domi-kun wrote:
thehemogoblin wrote:

Who's driving the car in this picture, I don't recognize that helmet.

It's Stefan Johansson.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
DonTirri

Post by DonTirri »

Actually, thats Onyx.

This is Monteverdi:

Yes, its the same car and same team, only the owner and main sponsorship changed :P

Still, the green stripes on the monteverdi looked horrid.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

I also liked the livery on the Pacific PR02, the wavy Lotus stripe was a thing of beauty. I didn't recall Forti using green wheels in 1996, but those are a nice touch carried over from 1995. Such a pity the Shannon money never eventuated.
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Jack O Malley wrote:
Paul Hayes wrote:I'd forgotten that Forti ever used a colour other than yellow that year.

whoops, it was 1996, typo.

Ah, I am relieved now that the old memory still has something going for it! 1995 was the season in which I became an F1 fan, so a lot of it seems to stick in the mind.
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

I think that the canary yellow was a much better colour on the Forti. The Shannon colours were quite dull and didn't really reflect the team's Italian/Brazilian heritage in my opinion. It's quite funny, because as soon as I saw those Shannon colours when they appeared at Barcelona in 1996, I thought that it wouldn't last, and the fact that neither Forti qualified that weekend said it all really.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

I like the looks of the Fondmetal of 1992, but that's more down to the shape of the car than the colour scheme.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

Yannick wrote:I like the looks of the Fondmetal of 1992, but that's more down to the shape of the car than the colour scheme.

Funnily enough the 1995 Forti was allegedly based on the 1992 Fondmetal, and like you, I rather liked the shape of the 1992 Fondmetal, so perhaps that's part of the reason why I like the 1995 Forti so much.

Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Well you guys have already represented quite a few of my favourites, but there's still one that I like: the 1989 Rial
I like that combination of blue and white with a black rear wing as some contrast.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

I was rather fond of the 1989 Osella livery, simple but effective.

Going back to the Forti livery discussion, here is a picture of the gourgeous (in my opinion) 1995 Forti:

Also, the 1996 Forti prior to the Shannon era was very attractive in my view:

Henrique

Post by Henrique »

Yellow Fortis all the way for me.
crazydude1992

Post by crazydude1992 »

I quite like this one.
Artificial intelligence is no match for F1 rejectdom.
Valrys

Post by Valrys »

The 1992 Fondmetal, imo, was a very nice looking car, both in design and colour scheme, the red, black and silvery-white worked really well. Although, saying that, the 1995 Pacific has to be THE nicest colour scheme to grace a reject team, with a honourable mention to both yellow and green fortis, who were let down by having a not very nice looking car design
Jack O Malley

Post by Jack O Malley »

Valrys wrote:The 1992 Fondmetal, imo, was a very nice looking car, both in design and colour scheme, the red, black and silvery-white worked really well.

I like those colours too. And I like the yellow Fortis as well, even if all that yellow always makes me think about a big piece of cheese. By the way I really can't look at the shape of the first '95 Forti (the pic with PPD in BAires), with that bulky front and extremely thin nose.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

I give you the 1991 Coloni C4

thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

That car is startlingly devoid of sponsorship.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

yeah.... you dont see cars like that these days lol.....
DonTirri

Post by DonTirri »

WeirdKerr wrote:yeah.... you dont see cars like that these days lol.....

brawn?
Life w12

Post by Life w12 »

Before it got littered with sponsors, the Lambo-Modena look good
Python

Post by Python »

Valrys wrote:Image
The 1992 Fondmetal, imo, was a very nice looking car, both in design and colour scheme, the red, black and silvery-white worked really well. Although, saying that, the 1995 Pacific has to be THE nicest colour scheme to grace a reject team, with a honourable mention to both yellow and green fortis, who were let down by having a not very nice looking car design

That is nice looking car, paint and design wise as well.
Best quote ever
watka wrote:There's only one fair way to settle this: a duel to first blood, using canes, and each of you must be wearing a top hat, waistcoat, and ascot tie.
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

Life w12 wrote:Before it got littered with sponsors, the Lambo-Modena look good

I particularly like the gaffer tape holding on the engine cover!
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
Goa

Post by Goa »

It does look good, but you're also more or less able to tell that it was slow just by looking at it.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

noisebox wrote:

I particularly like the gaffer tape holding on the engine cover!

Thank you for making my day :mrgreen:
And it would need quite a bit of that tape too considering the size of those sidepods. They're tiny...
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

I agree that the 1992 Fondmetal is a good looking car, but has anyone noticed, and I know I've mentioned this before, how similar it looks to the Forti FG01 before they made the 'B' Spec with the high nose for the 1995 French Grand Prix onwards?

I had previously read about the notion that the FG01 was based on the GR02 (both were designed by Sergio Rinland), but having seen pictures of both together for the first time really does suggest to me that this rumour is accurate.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's Andrea Chiesa driving the Fondmetal in that photo (I'm sure his car was number fourteen), and that's the first time I've seen his helmet colour, which I think contrasts very well with the colour scheme of the Fondmetal.

minrdi

Post by minrdi »

Irisado wrote:I agree that the 1992 Fondmetal is a good looking car, but has anyone noticed, and I know I've mentioned this before, how similar it looks to the Forti FG01 before they made the 'B' Spec with the high nose for the 1995 French Grand Prix onwards?

I had previously read about the notion that the FG01 was based on the GR02 (both were designed by Sergio Rinland), but having seen pictures of both together for the first time really does suggest to me that this rumour is accurate.

I'm sure I read somewhere (probably on the pages of F1 Rejects!) that Rinland was a big fan of the "shark nose" design concept at the front end of his cars, which he implemented on both the Fondmetal and Fortis. In each instance, sadly, the cars were fitted with grossly underpowered engines and were very overweight (particularly the Forti), so the merits of this design concept could never actually be truly weighed up.

The Fondmetal actually appeared on a F1 Racing poll of the "Top-100 most beautiful F1 cars ever built", although I think that Rinland being a panellist for that particularly poll may have had quite a bit to do with it. ;)
"The advantage of jumping the start is that you can get away a lot quicker." - Murray Walker

Editor, Richard's F1
Visit my F1 website at http://richardsf1.com
Exclusive news, reviews and interviews for F1, IndyCar, V8 Supercars and the WTCC
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

I think that picture was taken at Spa - in which case I was at that race. A certain promising young German driver picked up his first win...
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
Jack O Malley

Post by Jack O Malley »

noisebox wrote:

I think that picture was taken at Spa - in which case I was at that race. A certain promising young German driver picked up his first win...

I'm quite sure that's Magny-Cours. Andrea Chiesa didn't compete in Spa 1992.

edit: look at the filename...
minrdi

Post by minrdi »

I forgot to post this in my lasty reply, but it's interesting that we haven't yet mentioned the Simtek team's liveries, which must surely rank as among the best liveries of a reject team:

"The advantage of jumping the start is that you can get away a lot quicker." - Murray Walker

Editor, Richard's F1
Visit my F1 website at http://richardsf1.com
Exclusive news, reviews and interviews for F1, IndyCar, V8 Supercars and the WTCC
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

Jack O Malley wrote:I'm quite sure that's Magny-Cours. Andrea Chiesa didn't compete in Spa 1992.

The other hint would be the Rhone-Poulenc adverts in the background.
minrdi wrote:I forgot to post this in my lasty reply, but it's interesting that we haven't yet mentioned the Simtek team's liveries, which must surely rank as among the best liveries of a reject team
While I agree that the paint schemes were nice, my aversion to MTV will not allow me to comment further.
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
Jack O Malley

Post by Jack O Malley »

RejectSteve wrote:
Jack O Malley wrote:I'm quite sure that's Magny-Cours. Andrea Chiesa didn't compete in Spa 1992.

The other hint would be the Rhone-Poulenc adverts in the background.

Yep, I got it from this.

I've always liked the Simtek colour scheme...
Niallllll

Post by Niallllll »

My aversion to SImtek is the fact that is enabled 'Davina mcCaul' into the paddock as part of the menagerie of journalists that swan about the place. Which is directly connected with MTV is suppose since she was working with them at the time.
She openly admitted that she had no clue who was who and what was what while there. That annoys me no end.
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

And the rather large Rhone Poulenc ad in the background... :roll:
Waris

Post by Waris »

DonTirri wrote:

Actually, thats Onyx.

This is Monteverdi:

Yes, its the same car and same team, only the owner and main sponsorship changed :P

Still, the green stripes on the monteverdi looked horrid.

That guy's helmet design looks a bit like Kovalainen's. Who is that, Gregor Foitek?
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS