[welcome captain obvious] Ferrari F1 barcode a subliminal ad

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
muttley

[welcome captain obvious] Ferrari F1 barcode a subliminal ad

Post by muttley »

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/formula_1/article7111124.ece

The red, white and black bar code emblazoned on Ferrari’s racing cars and its drivers’ overalls is designed to remind viewers of a packet of Marlboro cigarettes, it is claimed. Under EU legislation it is an offence for a tobacco company to sponsor sporting events.

Yesterday a spokesman for the European Public Health Commissioner said he thought that Marlboro’s approach constituted potential subliminal marketing,

I guess the European Public Health Commissioner has something better to do than resurrect an old, disproved theory (subliminal advertising) just to score some publicity points? I mean, if you squint hard enough, any pattern of red, white and black can look like a pack of cigs.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: [welcome captain obvious] Ferrari F1 barcode a subliminal ad

Post by watka »

Man, I need one right now just thinking about it.

Not.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

watka wrote:Man, I need one right now just thinking about it.

Not.

I also need to Be On Edge while watching Moto Sport. Apparently, there was a Racing Revolution involving some Look Alike of known Bitten Heroes. I heard some Bitten Hisses coming from Buzzin Hornets.
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

It's not subliminal advertising. It's brand association. Brand association is a phenomenon when people make a connetion between an image and a company of their own accord. Nike's "swoosh" and the McDonald's golden arches are both examples of this: you see the image and you know what it means without having to be told. Phillip Morris have had a long-standing relationship with Ferrari, so everyone knows what it means. Where Jordan's Benson & Hedges became Bitten & Hisses, or Honda's Lucky Strike was Look Left/Look Right, or Renault's Mild Sevens changed to Team Spirit and Williams' Rothmans was an enigmatic R?, Malboro kept everything relatively the same.

I can't imagine that Ferrari will keep cigarette sponsors forever. I believe Santander joined the team this year not to capitalise on Alonso's presence (though it certainly helps), but to get their foot in the door and fill the void when Malboro leaves. If that doesn't happen for 2011, then I wonder how Ferrari are going to deal with His Kruddyness's latest crusade: cigarette companies are no longer allowed to display their logos on cigarette boxes in Australia - the boxes must be either blank or show a government-mandated health warning.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

If 'Mika' was a real cigarette brand I'd stay loyal to it until the day I die (which wouldn't be that long away, that's for sure...)

Just reinforcing the stereotype Scots are all a bunch of chain-smoking, binge-drinking, Celtic-or-Rangers-supporting-hooligans... :roll:
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

kostas22 wrote:If 'Mika' was a real cigarette brand I'd stay loyal to it until the day I die (which wouldn't be that long away, that's for sure...)

Just reinforcing the stereotype Scots are all a bunch of chain-smoking, binge-drinking, Celtic-or-Rangers-supporting-hooligans... :roll:

i liked it better when they changed west with east (for example in their zakspeed times) :D
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Gumby

Post by Gumby »

OMG... Of course Ferrari is sponsored by Marlboro. They admit that. So it's damn obvious the barcodes on the Ferrari's are Marlboro adverts.

Why does Ferrari get away with this ???

I'd like to see Jean Todt remove the cancer money from Maranello... Never going to happen is it ???

G ;)
muttley

Post by muttley »

Barcodes instead of cigarette sponsors are really nothing new. This picture was taken in 1985:

Which really makes you think. Back then, McLaren was just a Marlboro packet on wheels, and still it was OK just to replace the text with a barcode.

By the way, after they are done with banning cigarettes, they will move on to energy drinks (there are already some studies associating them with various diseases). Is Red Bull next on the list of Big Nanny?
minrdi

Post by minrdi »

The health clowns are seriously late in jumping on this bandwagon - 5 years??? Give me a break!
"The advantage of jumping the start is that you can get away a lot quicker." - Murray Walker

Editor, Richard's F1
Visit my F1 website at http://richardsf1.com
Exclusive news, reviews and interviews for F1, IndyCar, V8 Supercars and the WTCC
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

Captain Hammer wrote: cigarette companies are no longer allowed to display their logos on cigarette boxes in Australia - the boxes must be either blank or show a government-mandated health warning.

You gotta be kidding me. Isn't that against some rule of free enterprise or something?
I can understand not being allowed to advertise, but not being allowed to display your logo ON YOUR OWN PRODUCT... is bathplug up.
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
mario

Post by mario »

muttley wrote:Barcodes instead of cigarette sponsors are really nothing new. This picture was taken in 1985:

Which really makes you think. Back then, McLaren was just a Marlboro packet on wheels, and still it was OK just to replace the text with a barcode.

By the way, after they are done with banning cigarettes, they will move on to energy drinks (there are already some studies associating them with various diseases). Is Red Bull next on the list of Big Nanny?

The thing is, in that case the restriction was simply for one particular track (which would be Brands Hatch, I believe), and although there are some historical livery changes, most of the time that was down to regulation for that particular location. It is only in the last few years that the ban has become universal amongst the member states of the EU, and the legal restrictions on tobacco advertising have become much tighter over the last 25 years to the point where it is increasing uneconomic for the tobacco companies to advertise.

muttley wrote:http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/formula_1/article7111124.ece

The red, white and black bar code emblazoned on Ferrari’s racing cars and its drivers’ overalls is designed to remind viewers of a packet of Marlboro cigarettes, it is claimed. Under EU legislation it is an offence for a tobacco company to sponsor sporting events.

Yesterday a spokesman for the European Public Health Commissioner said he thought that Marlboro’s approach constituted potential subliminal marketing,

I guess the European Public Health Commissioner has something better to do than resurrect an old, disproved theory (subliminal advertising) just to score some publicity points? I mean, if you squint hard enough, any pattern of red, white and black can look like a pack of cigs.

It does seem very strange that they are only complaining now - that exact same barcode has been there, in the same position, since 2006. Why is it only now that somebody is complaining about it? Equally, why only Ferrari and F1? Ducati run exactly the same logo on their motorbikes, yet there has not been a single mention of it.
Something doesn't seem to be quite right here - is this genuinely being brought up because of health concerns alone, or is it being brought up because it is convenient to do so? After all, the regulators let teams get away with subliminal tobacco advertising for years (the "Buzzing Hornets" Jordan, BAR, the Renault liveries based on Mild Seven colours), right up until the end of the 2006 season - and even then,they left the door open for logos like the Ferrari barcode.

Ironically, I would expect that quite a few people who were new to F1 would probably not have initially realised what the barcode on the Ferrari stood for - in a way, this report has effectively told everyone that this is advertising for Phillip Morris (the parent company of Marlboro), and raised it's profile quite considerably.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Tealy

Post by Tealy »

Captain Hammer wrote:...If that doesn't happen for 2011, then I wonder how Ferrari are going to deal with His Kruddyness's latest crusade: cigarette companies are no longer allowed to display their logos on cigarette boxes in Australia - the boxes must be either blank or show a government-mandated health warning.

I would love to see Ferrari turn up next season with a massive government-mandated health warning over the car :lol:
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

DonTirri wrote:You gotta be kidding me. Isn't that against some rule of free enterprise or something?
I can understand not being allowed to advertise, but not being allowed to display your logo ON YOUR OWN PRODUCT... is bathplug up.

Well, there's said to be a High Court challenge in the works, but I don't think they're going to have much ground to stand on because the government has said there will be absolutely no way taxpayer money will be given to the tobacco companies as compensation. The notion is that people buy cigarettes because they recognise the branding on them; by limiting the amount of space availabe, the government is trying to discourage people from buying them. Even if the tobacco companies were to win the right to keep their logos on their product, they're already in for a massive bitch-slap across the other cheek: Rudd is pushing for a federal takeover of health care (seriously, it's been so mis-managed that it's massively screwed up over here), and he's already made it known that he intends to fund it through a massive tax on cigarettes.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Up until last year, the ... Team Penske cars ran in the characteristic red-and-white livery that also graced the McLarens for a long time and the Alfas for a while during the early 80s. It was only this season that the cigarette sponsor did not renew their contract despite not having had its name displayed for quite a few years.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Ferrari statement in an Autosport article wrote:"The so-called barcode is an integral part of the livery of the car and of all images coordinated by the Scuderia, as can be seen from the fact it is modified every year and, occasionally even during the season. Furthermore, if it was a case of advertising branding, Philip Morris would have to own a legal copyright on it.

"The partnership between Ferrari and Philip Morris is now only exploited in certain initiatives, such as factory visits, meetings with the drivers, merchandising products, all carried out fully within the laws of the various countries where these activities take place. There has been no logo or branding on the race cars since 2007, even in countries where local laws would still have permitted it."

If the barcode has nothing to do with any advertising whatsoever, then Ferrari would be happy to ditch it entirely and replace it with the traditional red of Italian racing cars?
After all:

Ferrari statement in an Autosport article wrote:"These reports are based on two suppositions: that part of the graphics featured on the Formula 1 cars are reminiscent of the Marlboro logo and even that the red colour which is a traditional feature of our cars is a form of tobacco publicity.

"Neither of these arguments have any scientific basis, as they rely on some alleged studies which have never been published in academic journals. But more importantly, they do not correspond to the truth."

Autosport article: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83194
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
muttley

Post by muttley »

dr-baker wrote:If the barcode has nothing to do with any advertising whatsoever, then Ferrari would be happy to ditch it entirely and replace it with the traditional red of Italian racing cars?

Of course not, because they got paid for it.

Look, from the tone of the articles looks like the barcode was Ferrari's idea, which is most probably not, since Ducati has the same pattern. Most likely Marlboro provided them with both patterns, the usual logo and the barcode. Ferrari's defense is obviously stupid, but so is the feigned naivete of the regulators: OMG, IT'S THE MARLBORO LOGO, WE NEVER NOTICED THAT!!! O_o
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

Sounds like some Euro-desk jockey is just trying to keep himself in a job
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

muttley wrote:
dr-baker wrote:If the barcode has nothing to do with any advertising whatsoever, then Ferrari would be happy to ditch it entirely and replace it with the traditional red of Italian racing cars?

Of course not, because they got paid for it.

Look, from the tone of the articles looks like the barcode was Ferrari's idea, which is most probably not, since Ducati has the same pattern. Most likely Marlboro provided them with both patterns, the usual logo and the barcode. Ferrari's defense is obviously stupid, but so is the feigned naivete of the regulators: OMG, IT'S THE MARLBORO LOGO, WE NEVER NOTICED THAT!!! O_o

My intended point exactly. Of course it's an advertisment. Before tobacco advertising, Ferrari had never carried the barcode before. Why should it be "traditional" for Ferrari to carry it now? And why should any other advertiser want just a barcode to represent their product? It could only ever be advertising space for Marlboro. (After all, it is no great secret that Ferrari receive money from these purveyors of highly narcotic substances...)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DonTirri

Post by DonTirri »

Captain Hammer wrote:
DonTirri wrote:You gotta be kidding me. Isn't that against some rule of free enterprise or something?

Well, there's said to be a High Court challenge in the works, but I don't think they're going to have much ground to stand on because the government has said there will be absolutely no way taxpayer money will be given to the tobacco companies as compensation. The notion is that people buy cigarettes because they recognise the branding on them; by limiting the amount of space availabe, the government is trying to discourage people from buying them. Even if the tobacco companies were to win the right to keep their logos on their product, they're already in for a massive bitch-slap across the other cheek: Rudd is pushing for a federal takeover of health care (seriously, it's been so mis-managed that it's massively screwed up over here), and he's already made it known that he intends to fund it through a massive tax on cigarettes.

Nyt Vittu Oikeesti... (Sorry, English just doesn't have an expression that can convey the message as well as that one)

How is it so hard to realize for these Health Hippies that Smoking is a bathplug CHOICE? And why in the name of whatever deity you worship, are they attacking just Cigarettes? Alcohol, which is arguably more dangerous in many levels than Cigarettes (intoxication-related deaths dwarf Cigarette-related deaths by a good margin, atleast in Finland), is still being advertised, nobody is trying to get them off the shelves etc...

Besides, this is a massive case of FRAKKING HYPOCRISY from the governments, this Cigarette Which hunt that is... I mean, Tobacco must be the second or third most lucrative source of Tax Money for the goverment. (In Finland atleast)... I think that's the only reason they ain't outright banning it anyway.

Bathplugging health hippies, keep your HWNSNBMdamned healthy ways, if I feel like smoking a cig, by HWNSNBM I will!
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Tealy

Post by Tealy »

DonTirri wrote:How is it so hard to realize for these Health Hippies that Smoking is a bathplug CHOICE? And why in the name of whatever deity you worship, are they attacking just Cigarettes? Alcohol, which is arguably more dangerous in many levels than Cigarettes (intoxication-related deaths dwarf Cigarette-related deaths by a good margin, atleast in Finland), is still being advertised, nobody is trying to get them off the shelves etc...

The problem I have with cigarettes compared to alcohol is your health can be impacted without actually smoking, just through passive smoke. I think thats why they do it. Otherwise I agree with most of what you say I mean you could easliy argue that if cigarette adverts are bad then so are alcohol/junk food ads.

The thing I've never liked about Marlboro advertising on Ferrari is that Ferrari have had an advantage that the other teams didnt get, maybe its fair on everyone if this does get banned.
DonTirri

Post by DonTirri »

Tealy wrote:
DonTirri wrote:How is it so hard to realize for these Health Hippies that Smoking is a bathplug CHOICE? And why in the name of whatever deity you worship, are they attacking just Cigarettes? Alcohol, which is arguably more dangerous in many levels than Cigarettes (intoxication-related deaths dwarf Cigarette-related deaths by a good margin, atleast in Finland), is still being advertised, nobody is trying to get them off the shelves etc...

The problem I have with cigarettes compared to alcohol is your health can be impacted without actually smoking, just through passive smoke. I think thats why they do it.

A null argument. I'd say a lot more sober people die from stuff drunk people do than passive smokers every year.

Atleast I can't say I've heard someone crashing their car onto a schoolbus after smoking a few cigarettes, have you?
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Captain Hammer wrote: cigarette companies are no longer allowed to display their logos on cigarette boxes in Australia - the boxes must be either blank or show a government-mandated health warning.

Really? We have this. Still has the logo but the health warning is mandatory.

Also there's the smoking ban indoors in public buildings, which has had a pretty big effect. Still, I do think that whether Ferraris are covered in barcodes, 'Marlboro' stickers or Santander ads, people will still smoke regardless.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
RAK

Post by RAK »

"20 Generic, please."

"Uhh, sorry, sir, I haven't heard of that brand before."

Reminds me of a time when somebody asked me for twenty cigarettes, not specifying the brand. Just "20 cigarettes".
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Funny how I am a motorsports buff since I was 10 and have never smoked a cigarette in my life (serious). But then again, I lost my 2 chain-smoking grandpas to lung cancer in a week. In the week I was born, actually. That sort of means the family is quite intense on the risks of smoking, and rather shapes your attitude towards the stuff.

So, I have a personal repulse towards tobacco. I don't really insist it is advertised in the cars, and wouldn't argue against the publicity ban. But I also think it's stupid, and this sudden outbreak is even more ridiculous. Like we didn't know all along...
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Tealy

Post by Tealy »

CarlosFerreira wrote:Funny how I am a motorsports buff since I was 10 and have never smoked a cigarette in my life (serious). But then again, I lost my 2 chain-smoking grandpas to lung cancer in a week. In the week I was born, actually. That sort of means the family is quite intense on the risks of smoking, and rather shapes your attitude towards the stuff.

So, I have a personal repulse towards tobacco. I don't really insist it is advertised in the cars, and wouldn't argue against the publicity ban. But I also think it's stupid, and this sudden outbreak is even more ridiculous. Like we didn't know all along...

Agree 100%. Certainly those of us who follow F1 were well aware that it was Marlboro advertising on the Ferrari. It seems odd that the rest of the world has only stumbled upon it now.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

It's pathetic and, putting on my politics hat, a classic example of how Europe's nations are being led up shite creek by bureaucratic imbeciles in Brussels. It makes not one blind bit of difference whether fag packets are on the side of F1 cars or not. If the teams want to take the money, and likewise the circuit owners too, then let them. If not then all's good. I'm just fed up that bathplugging un-elected fools are deciding how my life should pan out, and are at the same time trying to bring down a sport which consumes vast amounts of my spare time as something I dearly love. :evil:
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

CarlosFerreira wrote:Funny how I am a motorsports buff since I was 10 and have never smoked a cigarette in my life (serious). But then again, I lost my 2 chain-smoking grandpas to lung cancer in a week. In the week I was born, actually. That sort of means the family is quite intense on the risks of smoking, and rather shapes your attitude towards the stuff.

Yeah, that's the point. In fact, I've always had an uncanny attraction towards Marlboro-liveried cars (I don't know, I find them nice and all), yet I've never felt the temptation to smoke. In fact, I hate smoking, and is a thing I'll never do in my life.
I honestly don't give a damn about tobacco ads. They can advertise it, but in truth it's more effective to see a friend smoking and telling you "Fancy a cigarette?" than that cowboy in his white horse as an ad...
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Phoenix wrote:Yeah, that's the point. In fact, I've always had an uncanny attraction towards Marlboro-liveried cars (I don't know, I find them nice and all), yet I've never felt the temptation to smoke. In fact, I hate smoking, and is a thing I'll never do in my life.
I honestly don't give a damn about tobacco ads. They can advertise it, but in truth it's more effective to see a friend smoking and telling you "Fancy a cigarette?" than that cowboy in his white horse as an ad...

Oh yeah. And while I don't fancy the Marlboro-sponsored cars, the Rothmans livery in Le Mans Porsches makes my knees wobble, as does the Lucky Strike colours in old 500cc Suzukis. More or less silly - although that pic of James Hunt in the "Caption This" thread is admittedly a more potent advertisement than a million adds against smoking.

AndreaModa wrote:It's pathetic and, putting on my politics hat, a classic example of how Europe's nations are being led up shite creek by bureaucratic imbeciles in Brussels. It makes not one blind bit of difference whether fag packets are on the side of F1 cars or not. If the teams want to take the money, and likewise the circuit owners too, then let them. If not then all's good. I'm just fed up that bathplugging un-elected fools are deciding how my life should pan out, and are at the same time trying to bring down a sport which consumes vast amounts of my spare time as something I dearly love. :evil:

It's not just the Eurocrats. They have to deal with increasingly loud arguing by the health-and-safety lobby, which dislike everything Motorsports by principle. I would know, because my research is environmental economics and I often find myself confronted with people who take an absolutist, moral view of these problems and will scream their heads off if anyone disagrees. Cross them and it's all name-calling - and I am an environmentalist myself!
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Dom

Post by Dom »

DonTirri wrote:Tobacco must be the second or third most lucrative source of Tax Money for the goverment. (In Finland atleast)... I think that's the only reason they ain't outright banning it anyway.

I don't want to turn this into some sort of political debate (although I may be a bit late there) but I just can't let this one go. I don't know about Finland, but in the UK cigarette taxation brings in only a tiny proportion of government income. For the tax year 2009 the revenue from tobacco duties was roughly £8 billion... out of total tax revenues of over £500 billion. Tobacco duties annually bring in approximately half as much as stamp duty. So, unless Finland has a really weird tax system or the entire population of Finland smokes about 500 cigarettes a day, tobacco is not the second or third most lucrative source of income for the government.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Dom wrote:
DonTirri wrote:Tobacco must be the second or third most lucrative source of Tax Money for the goverment. (In Finland atleast)... I think that's the only reason they ain't outright banning it anyway.

I don't want to turn this into some sort of political debate (although I may be a bit late there) but I just can't let this one go. I don't know about Finland, but in the UK cigarette taxation brings in only a tiny proportion of government income. For the tax year 2009 the revenue from tobacco duties was roughly £8 billion... out of total tax revenues of over £500 billion. Tobacco duties annually bring in approximately half as much as stamp duty. So, unless Finland has a really weird tax system or the entire population of Finland smokes about 500 cigarettes a day, tobacco is not the second or third most lucrative source of income for the government.

A very fair point.
The reason why I think they don't ban it right away is that to have a large proportion of the voting-age population on a nicotine hangover would spell trouble for the incumbents, no matter how far away the next election is. That, and the fact people in democratic countries strongly dislike being told not to do something, and tend to be quite vocal about it. Remember the fox-hunting argument here in the UK, a decade or so ago? That only affected literally a few thousand people, and we still hear about it.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
DonTirri

Post by DonTirri »

Dom wrote:

The taxation in Finland is ludicurous. According to some calculations, nearly 90% of the price of cigarettes is tax. A Marlboro 20 packet costs 4,50 euros. in 2007, it was the second most lucrative product tax in the country, behind only gasoline. (im not counting income taxes etc, just taxes levied on products like cigarettes, alcohol and gasoline etc)

it's ridiculous.
RAK

Post by RAK »

DonTirri wrote:The taxation in Finland is ludicurous. According to some calculations, nearly 90% of the price of cigarettes is tax. A Marlboro 20 packet costs 4,50 euros.

A packet of 20 Marlboro Red costs €8.50 here, and that hasn't stopped people from smoking. It's still profitable for retailers to sell them as well, unlike petrol - which usually only makes a cent of profit per litre sold.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

I, like Carlos Ferreira, am a motorsport and particularly F1 fan since I was 10, and I know a lot of cigarette companies that aren't among the most sold in Spain (such as Mild Seven, West or B&H) because of their advertising on F1 cars, and yet I have just smoken a couple of cigarettes in my life (I was 21 when I did it; they were Chesterfield who haven't been in F1 since 1993, and on top of that, I didn't even get close to finish either of them!)

I find all of this utterly ridiculous, but they are gaining positions on the stupidity rankings every day. I've always understood that F1 teams have to change their tabacco logos on countries where it is forbidden to show them, because of the regulations. But now, it seems, that it's not enough anymore.

The funny thing about this is the following: the older people here will know that there used to be lots of French drivers around Formula One, 15 years ago or so. And that was because Gauloises were sponsoring and helping them in junior formula and into Formula One (remember the Gauloises Blondes sponsorship in the Ligier/Prost cars). But then they banned (in France) this kind of sponsorship, and voilà! The French racing driver has nearly become extinct.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Reverie Planetarian

Post by Reverie Planetarian »

...y'know, at this rate we could just record footage from rFactor and call it an F1 season.
Some say he plans to put an S921 on the Goodwood 2012 run, and that he DOES know what Deletraz is doing.
All we know is...he's called Perry McCarthy!

...we'll never see an S921 at Goodwood, will we?
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Reverie Planetarian wrote:...y'know, at this rate we could just record footage from rFactor and call it an F1 season.

Be careful, though, with tobacco signs on the cars. You might be punished...
Reverie Planetarian

Phoenix wrote:
Reverie Planetarian wrote:...y'know, at this rate we could just record footage from rFactor and call it an F1 season.

What's the worst they could do? Go on YouTube and ask me to remove my videos?
Some say he plans to put an S921 on the Goodwood 2012 run, and that he DOES know what Deletraz is doing.

thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Reverie Planetarian wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

What's the worst they could do? Go on YouTube and ask me to remove my videos?

rFactor could get banned like BATracer was.
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

Phoenix wrote:

Isn't it already?
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
Reverie Planetarian

Then it's official.

Officials ruin everything.

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Autosport wrote:A statement issued by the team said: "Together with Philip Morris International we have decided to modify the livery of our cars starting with the Barcelona Grand Prix.

"This decision was taken in order to remove all speculation concerning the so-called 'barcode' which was never intended to be a reference to a tobacco brand.

"By this we want to put an end to this ridiculous story and concentrate on more important things than on such groundless allegations."

If it was never meant to be a reference to a tobacco brand, why the bathplug have they made this decision "together with Philip Morris International?" :x

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83346
MCard LOLA