USA 2005

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

USA 2005

Post by WeirdKerr »

Should the results of this race be discounted towards eligiblity for reject status?
Captain Hammer

Re: USA 2005

Post by Captain Hammer »

Why? Bridgestone showed up with a legitimate tyre, and those who ran with it should not be penalised for Michelin's mistakes.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

WeirdKerr wrote:Should the results of this race be discounted towards eligiblity for reject status?

The results are official and as Monteiro said, "you can take that away from us." (Or something to that effect as the sole podium finisher to celebrate, hard to believe the Jordan name was out of F1 the very next year.
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
Stormwind

Post by Stormwind »

What bothers me out of this whole event really is that no-one seems to have learned anything from this farce nearly 4 years ago. Jeez time goes by fast. But really, this was a brutal realization of the damage Formula 1 politics can do. And while a more normal grand prix proceeded the following year, Formula 1 was heavily tarnished in the United States because of it, it was already on thin ice before Indygate.

But here we are 4 years later, and we still have dirty politics all jockeying for position without the interest of the sport itself being in anyone's mind. Formula 1 survived the chaos which was the early 2000's out of sheer luck more then anything else, but luck can't be relied on forever. 2009 is a step in the right direction but there's still too much politics littering the sport. Seems like another farce is simply a matter of time.
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Our approach has been no, this race should not be discounted, which means that Tiago Monteiro and Narain Karthikeyan got the ultimate lucky break. I guess the rationale is, it counts as an official Grand Prix just like any other. If you start discounting any race that wasn't quite 'normal', where do you draw the line? Does the 1982 San Marino GP get discounted for only having 14 cars during the FISA-FOCA war? Do you discount the 1994 German GP where about 11 cars were knocked out on the first lap and Panis and Bernard came 2nd and 3rd for Ligier - as peculiar a result as Monteiro and Karthikeyan? Do you discount half-point GPs for being stopped early?
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Monteiro and Karthikeyan could be fitting here:
http://www.f1rejects.com/hall/lucky/index.html
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

I'm glad your approach is this. In a very partisan way (look at the avatar...) I believe Tiago is way beyond rejectdom, and deserves the break.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

CarlosFerreira wrote:I'm glad your approach is this. In a very partisan way (look at the avatar...) I believe Tiago is way beyond rejectdom, and deserves the break.

He really was a good driver with bad equipment.

See Spa '05 for details.
minrdi

Post by minrdi »

It was the last time a Minardi scored points, and only the second time in the team's history that they had two cars finish in the points in the same race (the first time was the 1989 British GP). Being a die-hard Minardi fan, I definitely wouldn't want the results scrapped! :P

The only highlight of that race weekend for me was Friesacher's comment about making a great start "from 20th to 6th by the first corner." :lol:

Even though Minardi claimed their participation was purely done at the behest of the other Bridgestone teams, they were the only Bridgestone runner who stated their full support for the Michelin teams and were very vocal in finding a workable solution to allow them to participate.

The result still means that neither Christijan Albers nor Patrick Friesacher will escape Reject status, and given their overall achievements in F1 outside of this embarrassing race, that is probably fitting in and of itself.
"The advantage of jumping the start is that you can get away a lot quicker." - Murray Walker

Editor, Richard's F1
Visit my F1 website at http://richardsf1.com
Exclusive news, reviews and interviews for F1, IndyCar, V8 Supercars and the WTCC
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

thehemogoblin wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:I'm glad your approach is this. In a very partisan way (look at the avatar...) I believe Tiago is way beyond rejectdom, and deserves the break.

See Spa '05 for details.

Exactly. Didn't get to the points, but it was classy racing from him. Well remembered!
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
PayasYouDNPQ

Post by PayasYouDNPQ »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
thehemogoblin wrote:

See Spa '05 for details.

Exactly. Didn't get to the points, but it was classy racing from him. Well remembered!

But didn't he finish 8th?
Teaching Australians about Rock Apes since 2005
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

PayasYouDNPQ wrote:But didn't he finish 8th?

That's right, he did. Sorry, it's me getting old. :oops:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
LukeB

Post by LukeB »

Monterio was one of my drivers of the season that year. Didn't show much after that though, still I'd have liked to have seen him given at least one more season.

minrdi wrote:The result still means that neither Christijan Albers nor Patrick Friesacher will escape Reject status, and given their overall achievements in F1 outside of this embarrassing race, that is probably fitting in and of itself.

I think it was about Friesacher that James may he never return Allen made his one and only funny comment. On him getting dumped Allen said "his wallet ran out of talent".
Making up the numbers
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

LukeB wrote:Monterio was one of my drivers of the season that year. Didn't show much after that though, still I'd have liked to have seen him given at least one more season.

minrdi wrote:The result still means that neither Christijan Albers nor Patrick Friesacher will escape Reject status, and given their overall achievements in F1 outside of this embarrassing race, that is probably fitting in and of itself.

I think it was about Friesacher that James may he never return Allen made his one and only funny comment. On him getting dumped Allen said "his wallet ran out of talent".

Oh, Monteiro got stiffed big time. If he can at least get a test-driving role somewhere, he might be able to claw his way back into Formula One.

He also stands to benefit from there being more cars in F1 in the next couple of years.
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

thehemogoblin wrote:
LukeB wrote:Monterio was one of my drivers of the season that year. Didn't show much after that though, still I'd have liked to have seen him given at least one more season.

Oh, Monteiro got stiffed big time. If he can at least get a test-driving role somewhere, he might be able to claw his way back into Formula One.

He also stands to benefit from there being more cars in F1 in the next couple of years.

I think Monteiro is happy enough driving in the WTCC, Le Mans and running his GP2 team for now. ;)
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Yeah, I think he's got his hands pretty full at the moment. I'm very curious to see how his team, Ocean Racing Technology, perform next week at Barcelona. He's got some big plans for his team.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Did not know the guy is 31...
Alianora La Canta

Post by Alianora La Canta »

He's 33 on July 24. Tiago got into F1 quite late. Not surprising, since he only competed in his first motor race during his second year at university, by which time he was already 20...
Waris

Post by Waris »

Jordan DESERVED that podium on merit/karma from having worked so hard and having had that good spirit previously, so it was like a farewell present (even though the real Jordan was already gone, it merely retained the name and the livery). Also Monteiro deserved it, for having a 17 out of 18 (or was it 18 out of 19?) finishing record in a severely below-average car (that Narain managed to wreck regularly). That, and his drive to a point in Belgium (I think?) are what earned him the Rookie of the Year title, rather than that freak podium (which, undoubtedly, was a good performance of him too, compared to his team-mate and the Minardis).

Having said that, I find it hard to understand that, after Jordan having been so lucky in that Grand Prix, Winkelhock/Sutil/Fisichella in 2007 Spyker/2008 Force India/2009 Force India have been plagued by terrible bad luck. Is it all bad Midland karma? Surely not?
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Alianora La Canta

Post by Alianora La Canta »

Waris, Monteiro finished 18 out of 19, and had it not been for the car breaking 15 laps before the end in Brazil, he'd have had a perfect finishing record for the season. You are also correct about Belgium being Tiago's day of reaching 8th on pure merit.

I have no idea why the team formerly known as Jordan has had so much misfortune since then.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Alianora La Canta wrote:Waris, Monteiro finished 18 out of 19, and had it not been for the car breaking 15 laps before the end in Brazil, he'd have had a perfect finishing record for the season. You are also correct about Belgium being Tiago's day of reaching 8th on pure merit.

I have no idea why the team formerly known as Jordan has had so much misfortune since then.

Because they're not named Jordan?
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

thehemogoblin wrote:
Alianora La Canta wrote:Waris, Monteiro finished 18 out of 19, and had it not been for the car breaking 15 laps before the end in Brazil, he'd have had a perfect finishing record for the season. You are also correct about Belgium being Tiago's day of reaching 8th on pure merit.

They don't have "the luck o' the Irish" anymore.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Waris

Post by Waris »

Nuppiz wrote:
thehemogoblin wrote:

They don't have "the luck o' the Irish" anymore.

They should bring Adam Carroll in then! :lol:
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS